Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:35:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 210
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ~  (Read 7376 times)

Offline Eldon

~
« on: August 10, 2006, 05:32:04 pm »
Hello Everyone, it is Eldon. I recently moved from Miami to Lake Placid, Florida and it has been about (1) one month now. While I was in Miami, I did not have an issue with getting my medication. I do now.

Well, the prescription ran out. The good news is that I went to see my new doctor Marylin today. She is very knowledgeable and dedicated to the cause, and we clicked immediately when we met each other today. She did however write me a (15) fifteen day prescription. The bad news is that my ADAP wasn’t transferred from Miami as of yet to pay for my medication.

I have a (1) one day dose left and I am extremely concerned as to when I might get this new prescription filled. As it is for all, it is advised to take your medicine as prescribed by your doctor. Well in this case, I seem to have no choice in the matter. I have to wait for a clearance from a different county which will hopefully approve my prescription and they will send it in the mail by Saturday of this week.

My question is this. If the prescription doesn’t get approved, then I have to wait about (1) one week before I can get my prescription refilled through ADAP. This means that I will be without medication as prescribed and I am concerned about resistance. Will resistance come into play immediately? Will I be able to stay on the same regimen of Epzicom and Reyataz? Should I be overly concerned?

I may be rambling on here but, my numbers have improved and I don’t want to jeopardize the steady increase that is going on inside of my body.

Your comments, opinions, and suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:20:49 pm by Eldon »

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
Re: Support Question --- Does resistance happen immediately?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 06:00:32 pm »
Eldon,
My understandngi of resistance is that it takes a little time and not something that would be immediate.  Example would be taking meds and consistantly skipping doses.  Can you check with you new Dr to see if there is anything she can do to help you out on the meds?  You may also want to check any local HIV clinics and see if they can help till your ADAP gets transferred properly.  I think you will be ok and I understand your not wanting to run out of meds. 
Lets us know how it goes.
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 06:06:44 pm »
Hello Eldon, it's newt

Really it's best to keep taking the tabs without a break. But on your combo a short break probably won't cause resistance, as the drugs leave the body fairly quickly.

- matt
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:35:39 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:40:42 pm »
Resistance is unlikely to happen overnight in this case. In my opinion it is more likely to occur, as has been stated, by constantly adding and taking away drugs due to poor adherence. Viral resistance is driven by replication and the more times you unblock and re-block HIV replication the more times you are likely to select resistance. In this case, it will be very unlikely to cause resistance, so don't expect any. However, future and more frequent cases of this will lead to an increased risk of resistance. I know that other people on this forum have said they plan to take medication with them in case they can't get any on vacation. It's a sad reality but a practical thing to do.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:06:25 pm »
You know if I was on the same meds as you, I would Fedex you priority overnight a few days worth Eldon... Please don't take to long of a break.....

Love

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:10:09 pm »
Eldon,

I realize that meds are expensive and I do not know your financial situation, but isn't it possible that you can pay cash for your meds and/or talk to the pharmacy and see if they can "front you" a few days until the ADAP goes through?  I know that A LOT of pharmacies will do that as long as it is a "life sustaining" medication.  It's worth a shot.

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 10:42:44 pm »
Strange that ADAP is done county by county -- is this how it is elsewhere?  I've been on ADAP in both NY and PA and it's all done statewide.  Also here in Pennsylvania they have the ability to give you a month "emergency" supply through ADAP as that's what they did for me when I initially moved here until my paperwork was complete.  Did you ask if they had anything like this?  Seems rather absurd that you can't move around in the same state without a problem.

That said, I *always* get my refills for all my medications 5 days in advance (maximum allowed) each and every month so that I slowly build up a stockpile just in case something like this happens.  I've always done this for the last 13 years... maybe I'm overly obsessive but it's worked well. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 11:15:49 pm »
Hi Appleboy, I never have skipped a dose since I have been on myt meds. I have taken them religiously on time every day that turns with the clock. Actually, I live in a small rural town that I had to drive (15) fifteen miles north to the nearest Health Department Clinic where all of this took place. My new Doctor Maryin was on point, she had no problem writing me a (15) fifteen day prescription and a (30) thirty day when the ADAP get's transferred.

Hi Newt, I do agree with you that it is BEST to take the tablets without a break. It is releiving to hear that the meds don't sty that long and it will not cuase resistance.

Hi HIVWorker, It is also good to hear that it is unlikely that resistance would occur overnight in this case. I totally agree with you that our meds should be taken with us wherever we decide to travel.

Hello Eric, It is good to hear from you and it is good to know that you would do that for me and it touches my heart. Thanks.

Hello Lisa, Since I am new to this town, I don't know how well it will go with the local CVS pharmacy. I will give it a shot tomorrow and see what they say. By the way Lisa, I like your way of thinking.

Hello Philly267, I do agree that it is strange that ADAP is for the entire state but they seperated it by counties. My case worker told me today that it had to be transferred to this current county that I am living in before he could do anything with ADAP. He did however contact the neighboring county to get permission to use their funds in order to pay for the medication. We will see how it goes.

Also, thanks for the pointer of refilling my meds (5) five days prior to running out so that I could build up an emergency supply. That i will do once I get all of this straightened out.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 11:32:32 pm »
Do what you can to get some meds. While it is unlikely, it isn't impossible.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 11:53:46 pm »
HIVWorker, I hear you loud and clear. I don't want to stop meds either.

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 11:59:32 pm »
HI Eldon.

IT's me robert.  SEe if our friend Lisa can help you.  SHe is our depository for extra meds and she might have some on hand.  And ask your new Dr if she has some free samples on hand. 

Also, it is exactly for this reason that I fill my meds early too.  My goal is a 3 month supply of emergency meds.  Right now I'm on month 2.

robert

Offline Eldon

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 12:09:23 am »
Hi Robert, It is good to hear from a friend in the family. I'll ask Lisa and see if she can come up with anything and I will call my doctor tomorrow and see if she has any samples on hand. After this experience and unecessary stress , I will definitely work on getting a emergency supply. Thanks Robert.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 08:24:00 am »
Hi Eldon, it's me, Ann. ;)

If you find you cannot fill those few days, make sure you talk to your doctor BEFORE you completely run out. When people take structured treatment interruptions, depending on what drugs they're on, one or more of the drugs has to be taken after the other one has stopped. I don't remember which are which, but your doctor should know. This is done to reduce the chance of resistance occurring.

Good luck getting your meds in time... hopefully you won't have to worry about stopping for a few days. Thinking of you in this stressful time...

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 09:19:51 am »
HI Eldon.

IT's me robert.  SEe if our friend Lisa can help you.  SHe is our depository for extra meds and she might have some on hand.  And ask your new Dr if she has some free samples on hand. 

Also, it is exactly for this reason that I fill my meds early too.  My goal is a 3 month supply of emergency meds.  Right now I'm on month 2.

robert

Ahhhhhhhhhh hope that you are not referring to me?????  I'm not on any meds, maybe another Lisa????
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 09:25:44 am »
Lisa,

He means Lisa, formerly known as Sweetieweasle in the old forum.

Eldon, you can send her a PM by going to Lisa's profile and clicking on the PM link somewhere in the middle column.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 01:17:25 pm »
No, this lisa here can help with much stroking of the head and good vibes...

R

Offline Eldon

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 03:03:35 pm »
Hello Ann, it is Eldon. It is good to hear from you. I read your suggestion and the Doctor is out of the clinic today and I just took my last dose of Epzicom this morning. I do have about (3) three days more of the Reyataz.

I send our other Lisa a PM to see if she could do anything. Our other Lisa (Sdgirl), I thank you from the bottom of my heart for responding. You do send the good vibes over that is needed.

The clinic did call this morning and said that they had a bottle of Reyataz however it isn't the correct dose. I got a PM from Christine and she does have an extra bottle of Epzicom and see said that she would gladly send it to me in the mail. Thanks Christine!!!

I will keep each one posted as to the development / outcome of this situation. Thanks Everyone for your concern, support and help.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »
Hello Everyone, Just an update on what is going on. My new case manager called and said that the meds should be in the mail by Saturday at the latest Monday. Looking at (2) two or (3) three days without meds.

I'm hoping they do come tomorrow as said.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 02:41:14 pm »
Hello Everyone, just an update on what is going on. I did not get my meds in the mail on Saturday, however I did get them DHL express today! I send a special thanks to Christine and Lisa for your support.

AidsMeds.com is an awesome site and I am so thankful that it is here to give the support and answers to questions, where it is needed!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.