Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:42:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DANGER! National E-coli outbreak  (Read 5280 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
DANGER! National E-coli outbreak
« on: September 15, 2006, 09:46:16 am »
Hi all,

This was on Good Morning America this morning and, since I didn't see anything posted about it yet, thought I had better.

The FDA has warned everyone not to eat raw bagged spinach, that kind sold next to the bagged salad greens in the grocery store.

There has been an outbreak of E coli 157 in five or six states, from coast to coast, with one person either being hospitalized or dying.

This particular strain of E coli can cause some very nasty problems, including kidney failure.

Grocers have been yanking the spinach from the shelves, but people are being warned to throw out any they have at home.The FDA said it could not pinpoint which brand or from where this spinach comes.

Those of us with compromised immune systems, even those with high CD4s, can suffer serious complications from food-borne illnesses.

As Tim (Moffie) and I have pointed out in the past, extra precautions are needed for those whose CD4s are low and this E-coli outbreak could be very dangerous.

Edited to add an update: One person has died, 50 people have been sickened from this outbreak.

Please be careful.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 10:03:11 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Teresa

Re: DANGER! National E-coli outbreak
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:50:32 am »
I heard on the news a couple of weeks ago that they were recalling some bagged salad mix for the same reason. That caught my attention because i have bought that several times and thought wont be buying that any more.

Thanks for telling us about the spinach.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 09:52:35 am »
thanks. just yesterday i almost bought a bag of mixed salad greens

Offline carousel

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 10:49:36 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:10:25 pm by carousel »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 10:55:35 am »
Thank god my spinach days ended when Mom kicked me out of the house!

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:08:55 pm »
Thanks Mark!!
I am a total "spinach freak". I love the stuff!
 I flood it with vinegar. It's delicious and really good for you ;D
I am all out of it though, so I might've bought some today.

Thanks again, Mark!

Peace,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Maestro

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:13:19 pm »
On a lighter note, children around the world who hate spinach have been spotted rejoicing as they tell their parents the FDA will not allow them to eat their spinach!

Offline poobear

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:43:29 pm »
Thanks for the info Mark.  Rachel

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 06:54:46 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for that.... I heard that late yesterday . I would never buy any of that stuff bagged, including the lettuce.(which they also had problems with before !

Tajke care-------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 07:53:20 pm »
Hi Mark

Thanks for the info....this is not something to be taken lightly.

I grow my own so I'm assuming it's ok to eat...if not then I will have one happy grandson on my hands... :D

Hope you are well..miss you

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 11:54:40 pm »
Hello Mark, it is Eldon.

I wanted to say thanks for giving us the headsup on this Spinach thing, Generally, I do buy the bagged mixed salad. After hearing this, I really need to start thinking Organic for real. It's amazing what they spray on this stuff to keep the insects off of the harvest.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline whizzer

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 03:26:59 pm »
I read this online just after munching down on Thai Peanut Noodles served on.......you guessed it, a bed of raw spinach.  Let's hope I didn't get the leaves with the poopy in them.

(it was awefully good, I just hope I don't pay the price later).

Seriously though, it's been almost 24 hours, so I'm hoping this cup has passed me by.

-Whizzer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.