Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:29:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773284
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 298
Total: 302

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: going through the motions  (Read 4512 times)

Offline lnghrn2008

going through the motions
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
Hello All,

So I'm Mike,27,  I was notified that I was positive 8 Jul 13. I freaked out at first and went through different emotions so fast. Reading through this forum really calmed me down and helped me realize that its not so bad. I just need to keep living life the way I have been if not better. The thing that really is bothering me is trying to find out who had given it to me. The one that I highly suspect I had sex with back at the end of March. I now know him to be highly promiscuous and kick myself for thinking he was so innocent and probably clean just bc He's only 20. He even told me he had gotten checked recently and was neg. So then I get very sick the first week of June. Chills, Fever, diarhea, the works!. I had never felt so weak. I was in the hospital for the first time ever for a couple days. I had just tested neg the 1st of June so I did not expect to be getting a call that i was pos. I actually tested pos on the 6 of June but wasnt told till a month later after more tests were done. The w. blot came out neg but since my VL was at >5mil dr's were still sure that i was pos and am awaiting a 2nd w. blot test. My CD4 was initially 343 but found out last week its at over 600. Will find out my current VL in the next couple days. It took me a while to feel 100% after my sickness but got back to my routine of working full time and working out and partying on weekends. They started me on meds on the 22nd at my first appt.(Tenofovir, Darunavir, Ritonavir) while I wait for my genotype results to come back. Ive gotten used to taking meds now and had my first sexual encounter last weekend. I thought I would never have sex for a long time. But given the education i felt more comfortable as long as I had protection. Anyway back to the real problem. I find myself more worried for the person who probably gave it to me. We dated for a bit and I fell for him hard but then of course he lost interest pretty fast. I agreed to just be friends and had been doing good just hanging out and partying together. But now that he's prob the one that infected me I want to hate him and make his life miserable but I cant. My txts to him end up being "are u ok?.. is ther anything you need?". The worst thing is that since i told him he's been too scared to go get tested to confirm that he has it. Its driving me crazy! Im bout to go and drag him to a clinic! I keep telling him that the sooner he knows the sooner he can get treated and stay healthy. I dont know what else to do or say to him to get him to get tested. I really care for him and just want him to be ok and not get sick like I did. So yea, thats where I stand rt now.

Offline wolfter

Re: going through the motions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:46:19 pm »
I now know him to be highly promiscuous and kick myself for thinking he was so innocent and probably clean just bc He's only 20.

You couldn't tell if he showered? ;)  Sorry, but that description bothers most of us.

Other than that, welcome to the forums.  I'm sure some great advice will be coming your way soon.  I'm rushing at the moment or I'd offer some insight.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 01:14:58 pm »
Hi lnghrn, welcome to the forums.

I agree with Wolfie - using the word "clean" to describe someone's sexual health or hiv status is very offensive to many (not all) of us, me included. I mean, do you now see yourself as "dirty"? You shouldn't. You have a virus that any human being can get, just like any human being can get the common cold.

If you really want to play the "blame game" regarding where your infection came from, then I can tell you it wasn't March. Going by your time-line, you were probably infected sometime in May or late April at the very earliest.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. The illness associated with seroconversion (if it happens at all, many don't experience it) usually happens within two to three weeks following the initial infection.

One thing to remember when pointing the finger of blame at anyone for your infection - three fingers are pointing back at you. Aside from cases of rape, we're all ultimately responsible for acquiring our infections and while this can be difficult to come to terms with, it's in your best interest to do so. Please don't think I'm being harsh - I'm not. I'm saying this with genuine concern for your well-being.

I'm on the same meds you are and I find them easy to take. I hope you do too.

Hang in there, it does get better.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lnghrn2008

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 01:38:37 pm »
Yup sorry for that term guys! I jus seen it used many times in social apps and w/ ppl my age. I should have been more careful in my terminology.  I now realize it is a stupid thing to call having this virus.

I dont mean to blame or point fingers. I just want to know who gave this to me to make sure they get treatment and don't infect others. Of course, I have some anger towards whoever did but  I do take most responsibility bc it was a stupid mistake that i made and now have to live with. 

I still think it may be him since I had sex with him more than once through april and may. Ive only had 4 partners since Jan 1st 13. 2 hav tested neg and one is MIA but that one was from an encounter in late may.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »
 8)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:56:50 pm »

I still think it may be him since I had sex with him more than once through april and may. Ive only had 4 partners since Jan 1st 13. 2 hav tested neg and one is MIA but that one was from an encounter in late may.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. Your first post lead me to believe you'd only had sex with him in March. (It's difficult to wade through a wall of text....)

He could very well have tested negative at his last check up but became positive after that. A negative result is only as good as six weeks previous.

People with brand-new infections tend to have very high viral loads as you may find out first hand when you get your VL tests back. The higher the viral load, the more infectious a person's blood, semen, or anal or vaginal secretions will be.

He may not have even felt sick - many people don't. Ones that get as sick as you are relatively rare - I was one. It didn't mean I was a fast progressor or anything, I went for fifteen years without meds (on them now) and I'm doing just fine.

I hope you can persuade him to test, but at the end of the day, it's his call, his karma. You've done your bit by letting him know the situation.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 11:20:33 pm »
Welcome to the forums.  Sorry you had to find us, though.  I was mad at the person, who I am fairly sure I acquired my infection.  But, that has longed passed, especially since learning he died.  You have told him, and that's basically all you can do.

You mentioned being with someone in late May, and then having seroconversion illness in early June.  If I am correct about the person I acquired my infection, then I began to have seroconversion illness very, very soon.  I know many say it takes at least a few weeks.  If I remember correctly, mine came on in less than a week.  Basically, you really cannot be sure the guy you suspect is really the one, who you acquired yours. 

Keep in touch,

Ted.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:34:50 am »
You notified these people - good for you. You make a effort to encourage the young man you suspect, to test.  There isn't anything else to do. Dont go worrying about other people infecting other people. As others have explained, people are responsible for themselves.  If you think the young guy is typhoid Mary, so be it, its not your problem and furthermore, you might be wrong. Also, the only way he would be infecting people is if he is positive and having unsafe sex.  And the person having unsafe sex has decided to do so.

Time to concentrate on yourself...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline lnghrn2008

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »
Thanks everyone!! I have since learned to concentrate more on myself and my own future. I have also met someone that I'm falling for very hard and was afraid of tellin my status after 3 months of talking to him. I told him the other day and he took it very well. It seems as though he is even more into me and tells me that it doesnt change anything. I'm so happy to have found someone like him and think that having him in my life will just make me forget about what i have and live life to the fullest! ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.