Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:30:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 354
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Was assaulted on Monday night ending up with Facial injuries  (Read 3733 times)

Offline buca45

Was assaulted on Monday night ending up with Facial injuries
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:05:16 am »
So here's what happened:
I won a GC to a local trendy happening restaurant and stopped in on Monday night to enjoy a great dinner at on of this area's best restaurants. Had a fantastic meal and ran into friends I had not seen in a long while.
On the way back to my car, I was attacked from behind by a young thug who hit me on the square of my back with a 2 X 4. This hard swing knocked the air out of me and i fell forward directly onto my cheekbone and area surrounding my right eye. After he robbed me of wallet and cash, he ran off running after tellling me to not report this incident as he now had my address and if I did report he would be back to finish this beating permanently.
So, after yelling for a few minutes, my partner finally came running to the area I was (left him talking to our friends while I went to get the car to pick him up in front of restaurant). He saw what happened and tried to call the police but since I was warned of retaliation, I demanded we go straight home and did not call police to report the incident nor since I do not have any insurance (ADAP only and the clinic benefits) I decided not to go to the hospital.
The injuries I have now are a sore back and the right side of my face is swollen like you could not believe. There is a golf ball sized lump on my cheekbone with deep scrapes on three areas...forehead, under the eye (which is still almost swollen totally shut) and swelling on the entire right side of face. Black eyes and beet red right eye.
I am already on max dose of Oxycontin, Hydro codone and Marinol for chronic pain and so luckily the pain is kept at an acceptable level. I have been icing the swollen areas and my eye is slowly being able to open for short periods and some swelling has gone down. Still my face is twice its normal size, it is one ugly mess!!!
While I am worried about permanent cosmetic damage....I am rather decent looking with great skin...yeah so shoot me for being attractive at age 52!!! I am thinking this is not going to be healing without some sort of scarring from the scrapes and am thinking some of the cheek swelling will not be going down to nothing.
Do I place cosmetic looks above real med emergency? Not entirely as physically I am very sore everywhere...face and neck being the worst. If you have read any of my past posts, I have talked about this chronic fatigue and pain in detail.
In those cases, I was vilified for being a drug addict and little help or compassion was shown...instead I was called a drug addict and was sort of dismissed by a number of posters.
Anyway, the questions I had were
1.  Has anyone here had any sort of similar facial injuries. received treatment, healed and perhaps could share the at home treatment plan you used to get some relief from pain and swelling.
2.  What sort of diagnosis did you receive from your DR and what were his/her recommendations on treatment and healing?

And please...if you have nothing else to add but chastising me for taking Oxycontin and other narcotics, I'd rather that you keep your thoughts to yourself and keep the lecture for a real addict that might benefit from your thoughts. While I do rely on these pain melds to be able to live a somewhat normal, albeit painful existence, (for nearly 10 years now) I do not consider my self an addict. I do not at all receive any sort of pleasurable "high" that I read many who abuse these drugs, Oxycontin, do.
If you know anything about this class of drugs, you will know that if you are experiencing any sort severe pain, that is where the meds go to do their amazing work and the person taking them does NOT receive any sort of heroin like high.
SO please, hold your judgemental advice and name calling or high horse attitudes and offer some advice.
Under three doctors advice, I will continue to take these strong pain killers for as long as they give me a chance at a somewhat normal, if slow, life. I am not going to stop taking a combo of drugs that my self and my doctors have worked so hard on perfecting to give me the most relief.
ANYWAY...has anyone has moderate to severe face injuries from any cause and if so how did you cope with the swelling, bleeding and the after effects (scarring and marks) and do you have any tips on minimizing these after effects of being brutalized for a few credit cards (been stopped with accounts closed with new cards/acct numbers being sent and around $100 in cash.
Any advice not concerning a "you are a miserable addict and will die a lonely old addict or go crazy from over use of them. I've heard it all before and have promised myself I will remain on these pills for the rest of my life for the added quality of life they provide my home ridden life. While a few of you might be doing so for my own good, I really am not interested in hearing them as all the work my doctors have put into getting me to this point of having a life worth living, nearly pain free is the life I want to continue to live.
Thanks and I hope I have not been too hard on those who want to preach to me on this subject of being labeled (wrongly) a drug addict...all I want is for some help dealing with my current violently applied beating and robbery. 
"Love and Laughter and Happiness Ever After"

Offline Growler

Re: Was assaulted on Monday night ending up with Facial injuries
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:51:42 am »
Buca
You need to see a Dr A.S.A.P!
You may have sustained fractures to the face, neck and or back from the assault and injuries you've described and these could be life threatening if left untreated. I cannot stress this enough..YOU MUST SEE A DOCTOR.

The pain killers you're on are NOT an issue. They've been prescribed for you for on going pain and that's exactly how you're using them.....no one can argue with that.

It's important to understand that because these pain killers are so effective, they may lead you to under-estimate the possible seriousness of your injuries. PLEASE See a DOCTOR, TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GROWLER

“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:22:32 am »
I didn't read the previous posts you talk about, but this thread got way side-tracked by the whole pain meds stuff.  At the end, I was trying to remember what the post was about and that's unfortunate.  It seemed the post was more about arguing your need for pain meds, which I wouldn't question.

You asked a question, so I think you should be more worried about physical injuries that may arise from this--blood clots, eye damage, and more.  You should see a doc right away and then take a look at the cosmetic stuff later.  Yes, I am as vain as the next guy, but the immediate injuries should be priority.

I hope you feel better soon and no major damage occurred. 

Offline buca45

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:50 am »
I know I got overly defensive about the whole pain meds stuff as any time I wrote about it in the past I was attacked and called an addict who would not be around long enough....some very judgemental things were said and it got me into a mindset of defending my taking what I need to survive in a quality and comfortable manner.
I should have addressed that in another thread as I did allow it to minimize the agony and pain of what has happened to me with this beating/robbery.
I just really don't care to be lectured to by people who have no idea of what others in the same boat have to do to live comfortably.
So back to the topic at hand.
Yes i know I should be seeking medical assistance to assure myself I am not seriously injured internally.
Between ice packets to my face to reduce the swelling (it has worked wonders as I can finally open my eye and swelling has gone down) I researched every article on the net concerning this subject. The articles I read do advise med attention if there are certain things happening....passing out, migranines, disorientation, not remembering what happened or where you are now, etc.
In all of them I am not suffering any of the 'dangerous, you must seek help immeidately' items pointed out. What is really bothering me is the swelling and the bruising. I look like a monster at this point but none of hte other symptoms that indicate deep or severe, irreversable damage.
I get a good feeling taht while severely painful the swelling and bruises will subside in  aweek with ice packs and anti inflammatory meds.
It did sound as though I am overly concerned about the 'looks' part of the beating. While somewhat true, at age 52, I am pretty much over trying to be the 'prettiest' boy on the block but I still do not want to look like a monster either if this swelling does not go down.
Just thought there might have been some home remedies to help me get over the next few days.
If I do develope any serious complications, I will def go directly to the ER for treatment. But my IM doc said to stay in bed and continue what I am doing now to make myself as comfortable as possible.
SO thanks to you both for your words and advice and know I will go in a minute should anything change for the worst.
Thank you for your responses!!

Offline Growler

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:06:41 am »
Buca,
The symptoms you've described from the internet  concern the possibility of a head injury. Yes this is important but isn't the only SERIOUS injury that you may have suffered in the assault.

The blow to the back could have fractured a vertebrate (back bone). People have and do walk around with fractured backs and with one wrong move can end up a paraplegic. 

The fall, could have caused fractures to the cheek and eye socket. If not properly treated these can lead to permanent disfigurement, vision loss  etc etc.

You REALLY NEED to see a DR.

GROWLER

Addit: I missed the part about having seen your IM doctor in your second post. GOOD to know you've have seen one. That said I'm perplexed that you're having to look up advice on the internet in regards to head injuries....this is basic neuro stuff and should have been explained to you by the IM Dr when he saw you. Were X-Rays done? They SHOULD have been to eliminate the possibility of fractures.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:15:22 am by Growler »
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:35:13 am »
First and foremost, it's horrible that you were attacked and robbed. You have my sympathy. Second, were you actually examined by a physician? That is unclear in your post. If your doctor examined you, at least did an x-ray, he or she would be able to explain whether there would be any permanent cosmetic damage and make a referral to a plastic surgeon if necessary. No one on here is going to be able to give you any real advice because the extent of your injuries appears poorly defined. Following up with your doctor should give you more peace of mind. I hope you feel better soon.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 11:35:40 am »
I've had my share of facial injuries, quite similar to yours, and you wouldn't be able to tell today. Luckily, the one scar I did get is in the eyebrow area and is pretty much invisible unless I show you and you look real close.

Some of the swelling you're experiencing is likely due to the scrapes you sustained. I hope you gritted your teeth and cleaned them out carefully - any dirt left in them could cause infection and make the swelling even worse.

While you might have sustained a hairline fracture or two in your face, there's not much that can be done for this type of fracture. If you sustained a more serious fracture, you would have been exhibiting signs of concussion. I had a hair-line fracture of the occipital bone (bone around the eye) after an attack in 1998 and while it was sore (no concussion), it just had to heal naturally. It takes time, even with no fracture, and you'll need to be patient.

I also think you should report this asshole. Keep in mind that he still has your address no matter what you do - so report him and get some protection. I hope you at least let this restaurant know what happened on their premises. Maybe they need to step up their security. They may also have CC TV that may help police with their enquiries.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. As a fellow victim of a surprise, night-time, public attack, I can fully empathise with what you're going through. I hope you heal quickly and can put this behind you. (Don't be surprised - or ashamed - if you find yourself being jumpy for a while. It's normal and understandable, but you can get past it. I did.)

By the way, I've moved this to Off Topic, as it has nothing to do with living with hiv.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:21:33 pm »
Very sorry that you have had to experience this attack. I agree with  Ann and hope that you do report this thug as no doubt he will continue to attack and rob until stopped. Also it will help you deal with the emotional crap that these violent assaults leave ,

Take care
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 08:41:42 pm »
Buca,

Sorry to hear about the attack.  I agree with what the others have said and hope you heal well.

Take care.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:12:56 am »
Very sorry you had this happen on top of your regular, chronic pain. I agree with others' suggestions. Ann's suggestion that the restaurant might have a security recording could be helpful. And, I think it's important to let someone giving you medical care know what happened. May you heal up fast and have a decent holiday.

Offline buca45

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 01:12:54 am »
Thanks again to all who responded! All thoughts and words are much appreciated. I wanted to clarify the reason I posted this story here as it seems there might have been some unanswered things in my previous posts. I credit that to being still pretty disturbed by the brutality of the attack.
Rereading through my post there is not a clear story to follow! Sorry for jumping all over and getting so defensive about the pain killer thing. Also, please know I am way past the point of vanity at age 52. LOL.
I always come here to read through and search for information any time I have some mysterious aliment or med side effect and I am always pleased to find anwers to what I am searching for. I guess I was just looking to see if anyone had experienced a fall with facial injuries as a way of preparing myself for what might be coming and also for things I should ask my doc or things to look for in any injury or illness.
To update, I did go in to see my doc today. I had called him Tues morn and asked if there was any way he could see me to check for any serious injury. Thanks to some budget shortfalls and staffing shortage, the clinic encourages anything not directly attributable to HIV to be dealt with away from their office. This I understand totally and I respect their rules. Heck, I am lucky to be receiving their care and meds at this point.
Anyway, my HIV doc did call to check up on me early this morning and after a few minutes of talking, he asked me to come in for a check up as he was worried about my injuries. Since I had an appointment for my monthly checkup next week, he just 'rolled' this exam in on the side for me. He did do a pretty thorough exam and referred me to the hospital for XRays. I went in and for some odd reason (!!) was seen almost immediately! I was whisked right through and received a call from the X Ray tech the minute I got home.
Luckily, no serious damage like fractures or internal bleeding to either my face or to my back other than the surface scrapes and swelling/bruising.
What I found from the 'net was basically repeated to me at both places...ice packs, continued monitoring of headaches and proper cleaning of wounds. The way my face looked Tues morning I was certain there were many fractures and some serious damage. It was one scary sight to see my face in the mirror!! Hey,BTW, if you have not used Neosporin with the pain relief med in it...you gotta try it!! Works wonders, esp after cleaning a sensitive open wound and/or using the ice packs.
It is now Thurs pm, exactly 72 hrs since this attack. I am feeling a ton better than I was on Tues morning....physically anyway. The swelling has gone down drastically with drainage of a clear liquid from the corners of my eye and on the cuts where my face bit the asphalt. The drainage happens after I use the icepacks and after it is done, the skin around the area seems to be wrinkled and trying to 'get back in place'. This I was told, is normal and nothing to be overly concerned about.
I am sorting through my feelings  and emotions about what happened and feel so violated and miserable. These weird feelings came about today and have me quite upset. Very similar to what Ann warned me about. You feel so violated and...for lack of better words, scared shitless! This part of an attack is the worst part and it is just now happening to me. Pretty hard thing to have to deal with...maybe even worse than the pain involved.
This time around I do have a better grip on my emotions. The last time this happened, (robbed at gunpoint in Florida about a month after being diagnosed) I wasted no time in moving from my house to a place across town.. even considered moving out of Florida. 
While I am still pretty shaken up about it, I realize this violence sadly is all too common when one chooses to live in a big city. We hear about it daily on the news and human nature being what it is, we dismiss it hoping we don't have any personal experiences with it. Hearing about it on the news and having it happen to you directly is a totally different thing. Only when it happens to you do you realize what a fucked up and violent world we live in.
I have decided not to report this incident nor to talk to the restaurant we had visited that night. It actually happended about a block or so from their front door on a dark side street....far enough away from their security camera and on a quiet block. It is in a rather sketchy area of town with many gang stabbings and shootings occuring on a weekly basis. I chose to park on that street instead of using their parking lot as it was busy that night. Something I will never do again.
Am I perhaps doing the public a disservice by not reporting this attack? Maybe so. Even when crimes of this nature are reported in this fine city, the gang's hold on the PD forces them not to become too involved in the chicken shit crimes they commit. Add that to the fact the thug who robbed me smelled like he had just taken a hit from his crack pipe...and he was never properly taught how to use toilet paper, and I just do not see any reason for reporting it. In the state the low life scum was in, I just hoped he wasn't high enough to take my life, but high enough to be afraid of being caught in the act. I just don't see the need to be yet just another voiceless statistic. So many crimes go unsolved here and stories of crimes not reported are rampant.
To tell the truth other than being a black dude, I have no idea what he looks like. Even his voice at this point is not memorable. Even if I had reported it, nothing would have been done other than a poorly written report...if one was even turned in...something that has happened here.
Along with the bruises and pain I take away a new found (or reawakened) sense of how to act and what to look for when anywhere outside your home. I have lived in and or visited every large metro in the country and know the basics of keeping my self safe. It seemed I let that guard down at the wrong time and allowed this maggot an opportunity to earn enough money for his next crack hit.
Lesson learned and hopefully through telling this horrible event to this forum I will remind others that there are no safe places and you have to be vigilant anytime you are in a public setting. We are not safe anywhere and all it takes is letting your guard down just for a few seconds for this to happen.
So once again, thanks for all who responded and I am feeling better just having written this post.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »
It's good to know that you were thoroughly checked out and that you're ok.

Most of the facial injuries I've sustained were through my own clumsiness, but the time I was attacked was the worst. I was walking home late one night when a man jumped out of a dark doorway near my home and had me on the ground with one sucker-punch. He then proceeded to kick me - including in the face. That's how I got the fracture and it's a wonder he didn't do more damage, although I was bruised literally from head to toe. I wasn't even robbed - I didn't have anything to rob.

That happened a little over thirteen years ago and to this day, I cannot walk into a dark house. I have to make sure I leave a light on by the door, even if I leave early in the day and there's a chance I won't be home until late. Otherwise, I eventually got over the trauma. You'll get there too.

Oh, and by the way, that didn't happen to me in an urban area. I live in a small town on a small island with a total population of around 70,000. Violence is everywhere in today's society. We might have a bit less of it here, but it's still here.

Take care of those scrapes - using some sort of moisturiser that also has antibacterial properties is good. (I have an aloe-vera based antibacterial gel for things like this) If you keep it from drying out too much as it heals, you won't have much of a scar, if any. That's been my experience anyway.

The last time I messed my face up, it was totally my fault. I'd locked myself out of the house the day after this past Easter. While trying to climb through a window, I slipped and fell face-first on the edge of the exterior concrete sill. The results weren't pretty!

That photo was taken a couple days after it first happened and it was already starting to heal. Ouch!

I'm really sorry this happened to you. Be gentle with yourself, take it easy for a while and feel better soon, ok?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 02:57:41 pm »
Am pleased that you got checked out Buca ,You know your neighbourhood best as regards reporting or not , for myself the reporting off the violence helped me deal with the helplessness I felt, but I fully take your point.

All the best
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.