Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 05:58:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773607
  • Total Topics: 66391
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 243
Total: 245

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Maid has AIDS  (Read 8384 times)

Offline concernedmother

• Standard
Maid has AIDS
« on: November 08, 2023, 10:12:35 am »
Hello, i found out our new maid has hiv. She had lived with us for 3 weeks and on saterday we got the results from her health check, we feared when finding out that she was going to try infect us out of anger for her results, so we had her removed from the house.

how can i take precaution in the future and prevent hiring another maid with HIV and when should we and the children get tested for AIDS? she prepared all our  food including uncooked meals, washed our clothing, rooms and dishes, basically we were around her in close contact for nearly 3 weeks so i am very upset and fearful.

Please help me with this situation, when can we test? 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Maid has AIDS
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 02:03:54 pm »
Unless someone in your family had unprotected anal/vaginal sex or shared injection needles with your employee, you and your family have no risk of HIV. If your maid was on antiretroviral medication and had an undetectable viral load for six months or if your maid had protected (used condoms) sex with someone in your house, no one would have been exposed to HIV either.

you have no reason to test because you were never at risk.

There's no way to screen out people living from HIV who might apply for employment with you; but I hope, after what I've told you here, that you treat the next person you meet with HIV better than this person
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline concernedmother

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 02:54:12 pm »
I am not sure you understand that she was not on antiretroviral medication and for 3 weeks she touched us, our food and everything in the house and we can rule out saliva contact or what if she had a cut or had a sore or by accident used our toothbrushes as that would make it even more risky for us.

Please, please when should we test after this risk?  were worried about testing locally and people finding out so we will travel to get tested.

There's no way to screen out people living from HIV who might apply for employment with you

this is scary, why can't people be honest upfront so you can hire the right people for the job. the maid knew we had children before accepting the job  >:(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 04:09:03 pm »
You have obviously not taken the time to read Micheal's clear, polite and reassuring answer to your post.

Your concerns lack any of the biological conditions simultaneously needed for the maid to pass on HIV. Please understand that HIV is fragile; in brief, the receptors needed to infect corrode outside the confines of the body, leaving it unable to infect, and saliva does not contain viable HIV and is actually hostile towards HIV. These are only some of the main barriers to your concerns.

So HIV is not passed on by eating food or drinks handled, prepared or served by somebody who is HIV positive. Shared toilets, telephones or clothing, forks, spoons, knives, drinking glasses or by touching, hugging or kissing a person who is HIV positive and this list is endless and pointless as what you need to know is that the maid was no HIV risk to you or anyone in your household unless you were engaging in condomless sex or sharing syringes with her to inject drugs.

So, if you are having sex with the maid, use condoms and don't share syringes.

this is scary, why can't people be honest upfront so you can hire the right people for the job. the maid knew we had children before accepting the job

The scary truth is that people will always treat others so outrageously badly; even uneducated on HIV, the total overreaction you had instead of taking a moment to educate yourself speaks volumes, and I would be willing to bet from your post and the tone that your bad treatment of others isn't limited to HIV status.

It's lazy to stay within your comfort zone & echo chamber in life, holding onto preconceptions of others and then treat those who are different badly and play the victim. If not because of someone's HIV status, there are plenty of other reasons like race, nationality, ability, sex, gender, sexuality, etc.

I doubt you will change, but my advice is don't have a maid; you are not ready to have employees, clean your own toilet like an adult, read some books for your kid's sake, venture outside your comfort zone, treat others how you would like to be treated and learn something.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 04:15:01 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 04:12:38 pm »
for 3 weeks she touched us, our food and everything in the house and we can rule out saliva contact or what if she had a cut or had a sore or by accident used our toothbrushes as that would make it even more risky for us.
and not a damned bit of that means anything.

UNLESS you had unprotected sex with the maid or you shared drugs with an injection needle, you and your family had NO, ZERO, ZIP risk.

HIV is only transmitted through unprotected sex or injection needle.

There was no risk whatsoever to you and your family, and there is no need to test.

this is scary, why can't people be honest upfront so you can hire the right people for the job.
It is only scary because you didn't understand how HIV is transmitted and assumed a lot of nonsense. Living in your house, touching things, sores, toothbrushes, not on medication, whatever you can imagine, NONE of that is a risk. Only unprotected sex or injection needles are a risk.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 07:38:03 pm »
Just adding the request to please don't post about this again as I'll consider it excessive and give you a ban from the forums to help you move on with your life.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.