Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:38:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 232
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Senators to take HIV test  (Read 5858 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Senators to take HIV test
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:40:35 pm »
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'll try it here anyway.  2 US Senators are taking an HIV test as a way to encourage others to be tested.  I am not sure if it is that big of a deal.  Most likely, not completely sure, they have never participated in any thing that would have put them at risk for exposure so what do they have to lose.  If someone has been participating in an act that would put them as risk for exposure would seeing 2 Senators inspire them to be tested.  Prior to March of this year it wouldn't have done anything for me and I had definitely done some unsafe things.  While I think anyone who has been possibly exposed to HIV should be tested, I don't think this will do the trick in getting them to be tested.
Just my thoughts.  I might be complete off target.
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
Re: Senators to take HIV test
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:40:54 pm »
Considering what gets by here I wouldn't worry about this as it is about HIV. I think if one comes back poz it would make more impact but then I am sure they would cover it up , since that is what our gov't does best. I guess it is a step in the right direction, but then someone is going to ask what were these guys up to, to warrent the test.
I am in favour of mandatory testing myself- sooo.
Imagine if someone sued a gov't official for spreading HIV , now that would make news.
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:00:56 pm »
Hey Woods,

Have you ever considered the fact that these very (2) two senators are attempting to "Lead By Example"? In fact, this could very well be their motive.

I am in total agreement that anyone who has practiced "unsafe" sex that would have put them at risk should have and HIV test done. By doing this, it can curb the infection rate. There are select number of individuals who are walking around who is HIV positive and they do not even know it. It is unfortunate that they eventually find out through a certain circumstance.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 07:24:44 pm »
Agree with both of you.  I guess my question is, will the people that really need to be tested be inspired to do so?
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 08:26:53 pm »
Hey Woods,

The ones that know they need to be tested will have to make that "choice"/ Some are afraid to find out that they are HIV positive. It is an internal fear that is holding them back.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:39:21 am »
Hey guys,

This is probably an outgrowth of the CDCs announcement of its new recommendations earlier this year.
The CDC is recommending everyone age 13 and older and less than 73 (I think that was the cap) be tested. They included everyone, not just those who think they might have been at risk, as was the case in the past.

Personally, I wouldn't put a cap on it. I know some seniors and they haven't give up sex as yet.

I firmly believe everyone should be tested, regardless of what their history has been, I am seeing more and more people who didn't fit established risk groups, but they've got the bug.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:58:49 am »
Whomever tests, I pray they come back negative.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:26:33 am »
The CDC is recommending everyone age 13 and older and less than 73 (I think that was the cap) be tested. They included everyone, not just those who think they might have been at risk,

I say let's get private health insurance companies involved since their whole raison d'etre is to quoteunquote insure health.  ( >:( insert disgusted laughter >:( ) They do very little for society as it is, unless of course being a source of hassles and roadblocks is contributing to society. (insert more disgusted laughter) Make the f*ckers work is what I say.

Whomever tests, I pray they come back negative.

Me too. And not just for the human aspect but the numerous infrastructures don't need the extra burden either.

Out of curiosity does anyone know which 2 Senators did this? I'd ask Woodshere directly but he's M.I.A. lately.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:00:22 pm »
HHHmmmmm,

I wonder if it was these two Senators :

http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_3978.php

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't put a cap on it. I know some seniors and they haven't give up sex as yet.

I work 6 - 7 days a week for an 72 year old man. He has some mental illness and lives by himself in an adult retirement community.
Up till last year when his sister took over his money he was hiring hookers.
Dude was totally being ripped off by ladies for hire.
Poor guy thought these young gals really loved his hot body LOL

I wouldn't be surprised if he came up positive.

Offline Mike2008

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:50:51 am »
I hope one of them was the guy from Idaho who likes to play around in restrooms.   ;D
4-27-07  cd4 490  vl 1857
6-28-07  cd4 418  vl 993
started Atripla 9-17-07
10-9-07  cd4 502  vl,<75
1-15-08   cd4 473 vl< 75
blood platlets 31-26-79-20 -0-63-109

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:12 am »
Hey guys,

This is probably an outgrowth of the CDCs announcement of its new recommendations earlier this year.
The CDC is recommending everyone age 13 and older and less than 73 (I think that was the cap) be tested. They included everyone, not just those who think they might have been at risk, as was the case in the past.

I firmly believe everyone should be tested, regardless of what their history has been, I am seeing more and more people who didn't fit established risk groups, but they've got the bug.

HUGS,

Mark

I've never understood having a cap on it, since sex doesn't automatically stop at a certain age.  My grandma tells me how her 78 year old husband won't leave her alone and wants it all the time.  I know this may sound odd that I know this about my grandma, but she has never been shy about talking about her sex life and we talk about everything.  I agree with everyone being tested regardless.  If my doctors and I had only relied on the information about high risk groups being the only ones to get tested, I probably would just be finding out my status, since they recommend all pregnant women being tested.  That would have been 8 years of delayed treatment and people I would have exposed during that time, though I would like to think I would have had all protected sexual encounters even if I thought I was negative, but one can't ever say for sure.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 12:48:01 pm »
I hope one of them was the guy from Idaho who likes to play around in restrooms.   ;D

Now now.  One of us was apparently HIV+ when foolish enough to have sex with that man 21 years ago.  Alas, the senator used a condom while topping, and the other party didn't even lak precum.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 05:25:11 pm »
Yeah, some story about Barack Obama's in roads into   the  Zorastorian practicing indian immigrants  vote in the Democratic primarys got more news.  God when did Elections become like a football  broadcast with a play by play.  It's a shame the testing story wasn't front page. Now what would rock was if all three candidates still in the race annouced they were getting tested. That would reall raise awareness..
 ::)Too save the Planet   you must save the Cheerleader err no now you must  silence Cris Mattews ::)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:27:12 pm by planonstaying »
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Offline jammerz

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 01:34:14 pm »
My guess is both already know their results. No one wants to find out at the same time the rest of the world does.
HIV+ since June 2005. Taking Prezista/r and Nevirapine.

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 06:23:09 am »
I work 6 - 7 days a week for an 72 year old man. He has some mental illness and lives by himself in an adult retirement community.
Up till last year when his sister took over his money he was hiring hookers.
Dude was totally being ripped off by ladies for hire.
Poor guy thought these young gals really loved his hot body LOL

It is very sad that the meddling old biddy robbed him of what was probably his only joy in life. 
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.