Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:32:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 265
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 265
Total: 266

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Testing after three months  (Read 12917 times)

Offline uglymonk

Testing after three months
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:56:54 pm »
Just a few quick questions, that I couldn't get answered on Medhelp.

1) Is it EVER necessary to Test after 3 months?

2) Do seroconversions EVER happen after 3 months?

3) Is oraquick always reliable at 3 months?

As you probably guessed, I had a negative oraquick at 3 months. 

Thanks TEAK for your "help" earlier.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Testing after three months
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:08:51 pm »
You were told a number of times that your test result was conclusive.

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:23:13 pm »
Your correct, you said I had nothing to worry about, and the Med STUDENT said it was conclusive.  But I am asking: When is it appropriate to test past the three month window period?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:31:35 pm »
You're not in the catagory that needs to worry about it or you would know. Your test is conclusive.

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »
How do you know I am not in that category because I sure dont.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:46:31 pm »
Your questions were answered in the other forum many times under all the different nicks you used.

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:55:15 pm »
Tonight is the first time I have EVER posted on Medhelp or this forum.  I asked you clear and concise questions.  You did not answer except to say "you don't have to worry about it, seek professional help."

You, unfortunately, deleted my posts on medhelp tonight and threatened me.  And if you were the one who sent me the warning, to answer your question, reading through the archives does not constitute having another username.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 10:57:27 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 11:11:51 pm »
Brother, I had an vaginal exposure with a lady of unknown status who fits in the category of the highest demographics of hiv infection. I had a test at three months, and I have questions.  Why is it so hard for you to let me get answers for those.  You are making dangerous presumptions and slandering me on this board because you cannot control it like you do medhelp. 

I believe in Karma and what goes around comes around, I have always lived my life by that.  If you had questions, and somebody acted this way to you, you would be upset as well. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 11:20:21 pm »
Monk,

The ONLY true risk group is that group of people who have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with persons of positive or unknown hiv status. That puts YOU in the "highest demographic" too.

The only people who need to test past three months are those who are on chemotherapy for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or have been injecting street drugs, every day, for YEARS. Even within these groups of people, seroconversion after three months is RARE.

And yes, any hiv antibody test is reliable at three months. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive at six WEEKS, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. The window period is three months to catch the rare person who takes a little longer than six weeks to seroconvert.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME OVER THIS PARTICULAR INCIDENT, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 11:24:35 pm »
That works for me!  Thanks much!  :D

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 10:40:29 am »
Okay, now I am starting to freak out and my anxiety is running at an all time high.  I have what appears to be "terry's nails."  I have had so many symptoms, that I have requested an Elisa to be done yesterday, and will hopefully have the results tomorrow or Friday.  I don't think there is anyway out of this for me.  Its almost too text book perfect.  I can't believe what I have done.  Lord help me.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 10:46:47 am »
Hopefully your inevitably negative result for your latest test will allow you to put an end to your unwarranted fears. You've conclusively tested negative so this latest test is just about your fears and not anything with a real basis in HIV science.

If you have symptoms that concern you that's something to discuss with your doctor.

We've done what we can do for you here. If your fears persist then you need to talk with a professional to deal with your feelings. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Andy Velez

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 11:30:56 am »
The doctor can't find anything wrong.

6 days after exposure I had a dermatologist described "psoriafrom lesion" on glans that disappears after 2 months.  STD clinic says "Defininetly not herpes, molluscum or a wart!"

T + 12, I start vomiting with diarrehea.  The diarrhea lasts over a month, and was mostly water and continued to attempt to go when I had nothing in my system.  Doctor couldn't find anything wrong.
Couldn't eat, sleep disturbances, extreme paranoia, fatigue and exhaustion.  Coughed up bloody sputum for two days, but of course the doctor didn't check my throat.

Severe pain developed and lasted for three days around kidneys  and lower back.

I lost over 15 pounds, with weight loss of 10 pounds in one week, Doctor was not concerned.

I developed joint pain in elbow, wrist, knees.  Again, nothing from doc.

Numbness and pain in feet that still is occuring.

Folliculitis

Weird numbness that shoots over right side of skull.

Mystery spots and breaking out in red dots that look like tiny angiomas.....

Fingernails develop whitish/blue spots.

Im having canker sores with white spots on them.

Ulcers in mouth.

And now, my nail beds are turning white with the exception of a pinkish "crescent."

Hardened lump in occipital chain that doc says, "Is not usually associated with HIV"

And everything has been negative.  NAAT for Gon and Chly negative 10 days after exposure.  Multiple Oraquicks negative.  Negative DNA PCR at three weeks.  CBC's have been normal, but I havent had one in two months....thanks Doc.  Im even leaking what appears to be prostatic fluid?  Its not cloudy like gonoherra and the Chlamydia screenings have been negative.

RPR, negative 5 weeks.  Im not getting any help from any of the doctors. 

So what am I left with?  The final three percent of the CDC guidance or something else that doctors can't find?  Am I missing something here? 

My partner is fatigued and had developed severe elbow pain, headaches, and had diarrhea and vomiting for three days. 

Can I absolutely rely on the past results.  Can I be absolutely sure.  Would you be?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 11:58:41 am »
monk,

Whatever is going on with you has NOTHING to do with hiv. You do not have hiv. You have tested conclusively hiv negative. YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV! Keep working with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is wrong with you. Don't forget that stress and anxiety can cause you to feel unwell. Maybe it's time to seek counseling.

You will not be permitted to use this website to continually list your symptoms and question your negative result. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned for the last time. You do NOT have hiv! Quit chasing an illness you do NOT have.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 04:43:04 pm »
I really hope you all are right....we should know by friday.  Im scared shitless, but I am trusting you.

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 06:36:36 pm »
I know none of you probably want to hear from me about this but I had a couple of more questions:

The oraquick advance, I read on the manufacturers website, that "some people will not test positive."  Is that because of the window period, or is it due to some other mitigating factor?  I just read a story on another forum about someone who was positive who continually was negative with the oraquick after the window period, but was positive on an EIA.

Also, I contacted my local laboratory, and they stated that the EIA kit they use is from a company called Bio-Rad, and when I looked up the companies website, I could find only one test...something like GS HIV Antibody 1/2 with O....is that the test that Quest uses?  How do I find out what generation that it?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 07:14:08 pm »
I guess you can't comprehend what you read so say good bye to the forum.

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:33 pm »
The question wasn't about the exposure, it was about the tests.  Which I believe you know a lot about.  Was hoping you could give some insight, but your having way to much fun playing the enforcer.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 05:31:34 am »
Monk,

At this point, all you need to know about the tests is that you have tested conclusively hiv negative.

You do not have hiv! You were never likely to end up positive after a one-time unprotected vaginal incident anyway.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around you time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline uglymonk

Hemolytic Anemia
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 09:06:21 pm »
What is it?

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Hemolytic Anemia
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 09:52:02 pm »
In simple terms, it is anemia caused by the destruction of red blood cells.

Mike

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 09:54:18 pm »
Thanks.  What causes the destruction though?

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »
Can hemolytic anemia affect hiv testing?  Is it caused by HIV? 

I also got this warning: Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 60 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 11:52:05 pm »
Hi - weren't you recently told that what you're going through has nothing to do with HIV?  Source:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=27660.msg341816#msg341816

Also, if you did a simple Google search, you'll find answers to your questions, which may not even be HIV related.  There is a whole Wikipedia article on this.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 07:43:29 am »
Monk,

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you'd know that 1 - you're not supposed to post in the other forums - and that includes the Off Topic forum when you're using it to ask questions relating to your concerns in THIS forum. 2 - regardless of the warning the forum software throws up, we insist that posters in the Am I Infected forum use one thread and one thread only. It's all explained in the Welcome thread, so get reading.

Hemolytic anemia has no effect whatsoever on hiv testing.

You've already established through testing that you don't have hiv. Keep going on about it or otherwise ignore our posting guidelines and you'll be given a second time out.

Ann
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:08:58 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline uglymonk

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 11:15:12 am »
I'm sorry.  I am still in and out of the doctor and am still scared by timing of my issues.  Would ITP be an early presentation?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 11:24:13 am »
ugly,

ITP has nothing to do with hiv.

You don't have hiv, as you have been repeatedly told.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.