Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:44:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 613
Total: 613

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Labs Results Since Starting Meds  (Read 2576 times)

Offline koi1

First Labs Results Since Starting Meds
« on: January 19, 2007, 08:18:02 am »
Well I had my appointment with the ID team yesterday.

I met with Ed my mental health component first. I saw that his left shoulder was a little stiff, and I asked him what was going on. He said "Okay I am going to tell you. I had another stint put in after a heart attack." Wow, they they had told me he was on vacation. I guess they wanted to respect his privacy. I felt really terrible for him. But he seemed to be resigned to the fact that it runs in his family.

The meeting with thedoc and pharmacologist went fine. I expressed concerns about havin the runs for the past 5 days. My doc ordered stool tests to try to find the origin of my troubles. I aslo told my doc to refer me to the ophthalmologist because my right eye has been acting strangely, being dry and kinda blurry. I aslo got a candidiasis prescription and am now going to start dapsone for PCP prophylaxis. Her reasoning is that pentamadine only protects my lungs and dapsone will protect me from other bugs. I will just start taking at night with everything else.

I had no serious side effects to report so she gave me my results and said I am doing great. She gave me my new figures.

cd4's  119  viral load 1,100. She said I could be undetectable in a month.

But then on the advice of some of you here, I asked for a lab printout before going home. It turns out that I had been declining from the time they first saw me.

I started with c4's at 97 then went to 84, then went to 70, and now at 119
Perceentages were  8                       7                        6                     7

I was not aware of this. I guess they were trying not to stress me out. So I now also recommend that everyone get print outs of their labs everytime.

So I guess the good news is that my viral load is going down very quickly with this medication and that I climbed up one percentage point from the date I started the the meds. Always get straight answers from your docs, even when the news is not so good.

I also asked a question about Lipo and basically the doctor kinda brushed it off saying tha I should be happy to be alive. Which is common with doctors that can't empathize with patients with "cosmetic" fears. Yes I should be happy to be alive but my quality of life matters to me. I was expecting this response from reading some articles on the body website.

In a nutshell, after ten days on medications, the meds are kickin' ass, my cd 4s are in an upward trend having climbed a percentage point. So I am happy. I can always look back and say If I had not had that bactrim allergy and hospital stay... but let's not dwell in the past and move forward with these new numbers.

rob
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:57:06 am by koi1 »
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline skeebo1969

Re: First Labs Since Starting Meds
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:32:05 am »

After what you have been through I am glad to hear that your numbers are improving.   Once that VL is undetectable your cd4's should show a steady improvement which of course is a great thing.  Once your numbers get above 200 the doc will probably take you off the Bactrim I'm guessing.

I'm just curious and if it is to personal I understand, but quick question..

Is it lipodystrophy you are having or is it possibly wasting from the HIV which is what I was having?  That might be the reason the doc kind of blew that notion off.  I totally understand how you feel about it either way.

I hope everything continues on the upward trend for you.. Goodluck!

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline koi1

Re: First Labs Since Starting Meds
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:40:29 am »
Well I am having wasting. The only way I will know if it is lipo is if the fat does not return to the face if and when I gain the 30 pound I lost back. I just think that doctors in general are not very sensitive to this. But my self esteem is already low so I need to know if this is one more thing I will have to deal with. The thing with lipo is that if caught early there is more that can be done. I don't know.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: First Labs Results Since Starting Meds
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:14:34 am »
Hey Rob,
It looks like you're on the right track. The improvements in numbers is encouraging and I'm glad you are being proactive regarding any symptoms that manisfest themselves.

Regarding the lipo, there is a belief that HIV by itself can cause this. Certainly, wasting will rob you of fat and it may take time to come back.

Keep on being proactive - and getting the printouts. I have mine dating from 1992 (I know, I'm anal about things like this). They really help put perspective on things.

Take good care of yourself.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Longislander

Re: First Labs Results Since Starting Meds
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:13:24 pm »
Hi Rob,

Congratulations on the uphill climb and the VL drop. I really admire your strength. You've been through quite a bit lately and now your starting to kick ass!  ;D

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.