Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:10:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 451
Total: 453

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First night on Atripla!!!  (Read 3768 times)

Offline terrysenc

First night on Atripla!!!
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:07:55 pm »
Last night was my first night on Atripla and all I can say is "WHOA".  I took my pill at 11pm and woke up at 130 am feeling very wired and buzzed.  I had some crazy dreams as well.  When I finally dosed back off I woke up for work at around 630 am and still felt buzzed and dazed.  I was wondering if these side effects are common and if so do they eventually go away??? I can deal with the dreams okay but not the buzzed feeling in the mornings.  It was almost a hazard for me to drive this morning because I felt so buzzed.  Any tips or suggestions would be helpful..  I was on Reyetaz, norvir and truvada which I didn't have any side effects at all.......

Offline mikeyb39

Re: First night on Atripla!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:15:19 pm »
hi terry,
yep that is common when you first start this med.  it does get better once you get a couple weeks in.  The big thing with Atripla is you have to take it on an empty stomach least two hours after you're last meal preferably.  Drink plenty of water when you take it at least a full glass that seems to help a bit with the dizziness.  This goes away after you have taken it a few weeks, i can even eat a little before or after and it doesn't bother me much.  you might want to try taking it an hour and half before you go to bed instead of taking it at 11pm that way it gives you're body more time to 'digest' it before morning. I too had the dizzies the next morning and when i took it earlier before bed that seemed to do the trick.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:22:41 pm »
How long were you on the first combo and why did you switch?
If you were already on HAART for awhile, it seems your switch to Atripla and thus sustiva has been pretty dramatic on your body....  Im no expert but this doesnt seem to be a great sign.  Though the only thing to do is to wait for a few weeks and hope you aren't one of the few who can't finally deal well with sustiva.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline terrysenc

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:07:13 am »
mecch I was on the first combo for almost 1 1/2 years......last night wasn't as bad at all I didn't have any dreams that I remember and didn't wake up until morning.  I feel a little weak but not really wired feeling like yesterday.  hopefully it will just keep getting better from here.  I took mikeyb39's advice and took my pill earlier than 11 so maybe that helped too.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:15:24 pm »
I started Atripla almost 2 weeks ago..and I had the same crazy night..It takes a while to get used to but the hangover feeling in the morning eventually will start to diminish...Just give it time and be careful what u eat at night!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:17:43 am »
Terry, it's the Sustiva portion of your Atripla that causes the side effects you've experienced. There is a lesson in the Lessons section of this website called Tips & Tricks on Taking Sustiva that you may find useful.

For most people, the side effects do get better in time.

I'm also wondering why you switched your combo. Were you having problems with the Reyataz/Norvir portion of your original combo? You're still on the Truvada portion - the two drugs in Truvada are also in Atripla.

Anyway, good luck adjusting to the Sustiva.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline terrysenc

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32:04 am »
My doctor switched me because I wasn't achieving a undetectable viral load on the 1st combo.  He thought that after 1 1/2 year on the combo I should have achieved that by now, so  he recommended adding a fourth drug or switching to Atripla.  I didn't really want to add another drug so I decided to switch.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:04:09 am »
Terry, good luck in becoming undetectable. Did your doctor do any resistance testing on you before switching? He probably should have as it is possible that you're resistant to one of the meds in your combo.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40:10 am »
The dizziness lasted for 3 weeks for me, and was it's worse from like day 5 to day 12. After day 12 it gradually got better, now I have no problem.

On day 12 a mean ass rash developed ALL OVER my body, which was gone in 48 hours. The rash developed quickly too, I noticed red spots in the joints of my elbow and then an hour later I was covered from neck to ankles.

If you notice a rash develop go by some benadyrl it will block the histamines and help the rash go away quicker.
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:23:08 am »
Just a note of caution about the rash that sometimes accompanies getting used to hiv meds...

If you develop a fever along with the rash, call your doctor asap. Most people do not have this problem, but a rash accompanied by fever can be very serious.

It's always best to ring your doctor if you develop a rash anyway. While he or she may recommend a product such as Benedryl, it's always best to discuss it with your doctor first.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:53:03 pm »
Ann very true.

I wasn't worried about it because I dealt with eczema all my life, and for 10 years any kind of scratch, abrasion caused a histamine reaction. Finally grew out of it, but that was 10 years of torture.

It is important to note that the occurrence of a rash is not necessarily strange when starting atripla, so if it happens just call your doctor a d they'll ask a couple of questions, but don't get too work up over it (stress makes rashes worse), and it generally goes away as fast as it occurs
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.