Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any other vegetarians?  (Read 8428 times)

Offline texaninnyc87

Any other vegetarians?
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:44:34 pm »
Hey guys. I'm a newly diagnosed guy who's trying to figure all this stuff out. I'm in the process of getting all my numbers and getting setup with ADAP and all that other time consuming stuff thats necessary for me to start getting healthy. i guess i'm just wondering if there are any other vegetarians out there who can give me some tips or advice on issues they've faced dealing with their diets and HIV. I've been a vegetarian for 13 years (im 25) and dont plan on ever eating meat again if i can help it! Any advice, tips or anecdotes would be much appreciated!
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: Any other vegetarians?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:59:05 pm »
Hey guys. I'm a newly diagnosed guy who's trying to figure all this stuff out. I'm in the process of getting all my numbers and getting setup with ADAP and all that other time consuming stuff thats necessary for me to start getting healthy. i guess i'm just wondering if there are any other vegetarians out there who can give me some tips or advice on issues they've faced dealing with their diets and HIV. I've been a vegetarian for 13 years (im 25) and dont plan on ever eating meat again if i can help it! Any advice, tips or anecdotes would be much appreciated!

I'm not aware of any recommendation to consume meat just because one is HIV positive.  I'll be curious to see what other vegetarian respondents have to say (and for the record I am not vegetarian), to see if there are any concerns / issues linking HIV and vegetarianism.  I can't think of any, but then as I said, I'm not a vegetarian.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:16:01 pm »
There are some dietary concerns, but none that apply specifically to having HIV.  I'm assuming you're not on a complete vegan diet as that diet has its own issues.

My lab results are pretty complete and show any deficiencies in my diet.  My doctor is also a vegetarian so it makes it easy to discuss issues with him.  I don't know if my doctor does these labs because of my diet, but you might discuss this with you doctor to see if he has any specific concerns.

I finally folded to my doctor's wishes and started multi-vitamins yesterday.

Best Wishes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:00:33 pm »
I was a lacto-vegetarian* before diagnosis and for about seven years after diagnosis. (*lacto-vegetarians eat dairy products but no eggs, fish or chicken, which some people claiming to be vegetarians do eat.)

I have to admit I got lazy in making sure I was getting enough protein - and a protein-rich diet is important when you're poz. After a while, I started craving eggs and chicken and when I finally gave in and started eating them again, I found I had a lot more energy than before.

To this day I only eat meat or eggs once or twice a week, but at least I know I'm getting the protein I need. I still eat a lot of cheese and lentils. Beans - not so much since I started meds. Truvada gives me the farts enough as it is. ;D

The bottom line is - yes, you can continue to be a vegetarian provided you make sure you don't get lazy like I did and keep a close eye on your protein intake.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure you're taking a good multivitamin supplement. It also wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor if he or she can recommend a good nutritionist who has hiv knowledge, so you can go over your diet with them to make sure you're doing it right and getting all the nutrients you need, particularly that important protein.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:14:51 am »
Thanks for the advice! I've been taking muiltivitamins for years now. I'm thinking about maybe starting protein shakes or something for breakfast, especially if I am on a medication that requires you take it with food. i know some pills have a certain calorie content requirement so i think most protein shakes would be an easy way to meet this+helping me guarantee im getting enough protein. i'll be sure to talk with my doctors about it. this whole process has been so daunting to me; i'm just trying to be as knowledgeable and prepared as possible.
1/13 $tribild

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:08:49 am »
tex, if you are seriously committed to vegetarianism, you should carefully read the ingredient labels on any protein shakes you consider buying as they sometimes include animal-derived byproducts. You don't mention if you eat eggs or not, but if you don't, be aware that egg byproducts are sometimes an ingredient. I found that the type that comes as a powder often will state clearly on the label if it is vegetarian friendly and whether or not it contains egg byproducts.

I went the protein shake route for a while (that's how I know about the labeling) and found it helped a bit - but it was also part of me being lazy and looking for an easy-out for my protein intake. I had very little appetite at the time (something starting hiv meds has helped) - and that was a big part of my lapse into laziness. I'm actually considering going veggie again now that my appetite is better.

By the way, learning to be poz is daunting at first, but it does get better. You'll see. Hang in there!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline keat85

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 01:24:52 pm »
 I'm a recently clinically diagnosed guy who's trying to determine all this things out. I'm in the procedure of getting all my figures and getting installation with ADAP and all that other difficult things thats necessary for me to begin getting healthier. i think i'm just thinking if there are any other vegans out there who can provide me some guidelines or guidance on problems they've experienced working with their diet plans and HIV. I've been a veggie for 13 decades (im 25) and don't strategy on ever consuming beef again if i can help it! Any guidance, guidelines or stories would be much appreciated...

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:20:43 pm »
Hey, buddy. I was vegetarian "before", and since I don't like milk except in coffee, I was almost vegan by accident. Everyone told me that I had new protein needs and that it would be difficult on a vegetarian diet to get enough. Of course, they say that about people without HIV. ;)

I don't know if it's true, but I still don't really eat meat.  I just never get around to it. I'm tracking other nutrition metrics for one of those open classes online. With a couple of exceptions (which have little to do with meat), I'm hitting the targets, but I just this second realized I should update my settings for HIV. It'll also give me something to write about in the analysis we have to turn in, and I think I just found my end-of-class project. So, uh, thanks!

I'm gonna start here, but I'll let you know if anything pops out:
http://www.tufts.edu/med/nutrition-infection/hiv/health_high_quality_diet.html
http://www.thewellproject.org/en_US/Living_Well/Health/Vitamins_and_Supplements.jsp
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:38:42 pm »
hey oksi!
yeah my doctors monitor all my levels and im taking multivitamins and additional Vitamin D and B12 vitamins. No one has every mentioned anything about additional protein needs being positive. i should probably be more aware of my protein consumption especially since ive been working out so much.
1/13 $tribild

Offline lincoln6echo

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:47:41 am »
Hi Tex

I saw a nutritionist right after my diagnosis and she also pointed out that HIV + ppl need to be conscious of getting enough protein.

Seems to be a pretty consistent message from health professionals dealing with HIV folks.

lincoln.

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 01:57:54 am »
My doctors said it was totally fine as long as I am mindful of my diet they actually said all of my numbers were better than average most likely because of my vegetarianism. Vegetarians live on average 10 years longer than people who eat meat, fyi.
1/13 $tribild

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.