Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:09:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 416
Total: 417

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anti-Gay GOP Candidate Was Once Drag Queen  (Read 7865 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Anti-Gay GOP Candidate Was Once Drag Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:35:32 am »
Sad, really.
it's worse that sad. the self-loathing this guy lives under has caused him to actively support and campaign for laws that are detrimental to gays and reinforce stigmas. This guy makes it harder in NC (and elsewhere) for gays to live their lives unmolested by their neighbors and public officials.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:43:25 am »
Republicans will forgive their candidates of ANYTHING so his past my be a drag on the election but he has far bigger problems than that ... he voted for Hillary and President Obama and that is a unforgivable sin . He may be singing and I'm telling you you're gonna love me but its raining more than men on this sad campaign .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dan0

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:29:50 pm »
Only in the South.  I think that it was Arkansas that had someone running for Lt. Governor a few years back that was also of the 'performing arts' sect.  He didn't try to hide it though but still came in miserably in the final vote....think his name was Deidre....or something like that. 

Bad campaign and an even WORSE drag queen on stage - a total brick! I'd say stick to what you know, but in this case, that wasn't much either.  The inaugural gown would have been hideous, anyway. Self-loathing and opportunism aside, at least he's a Republican!
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:34:26 pm »
I wonder if they had to "drag" him kicking and screaming to 'fess up.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:37:42 pm »
A conservative Drag Queen may have a problem tucking that . I can hear his hookups asking are you glad to see me or is that a log cabin in your pocket .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 03:47:23 pm »
The problems are that he's a liar and also "ex-gay".  Anti- LGBT politics from a guy who denies being gay -- although people claim he was gay in the past.  Also he denies he was a performing transvestite in the past.  Is that the gist?

Just an observation - in my past when I went to a lot of gender-bending bars and clubs.  There are hetero cross-dressers, plenty of them, and they do go out to bars where there are all kinds of gender persuasions.

I never met a performer, or so called "drag queen", who is hetero but I'm sure there are some... 

_____

I've met some very conservative gay guys who vote conservatively. 

_____

Not trying to deny the rumours about this guy's past.  Just saying.....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:51:05 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Dan0

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 04:10:05 pm »
Conservative Republicans are a fickle bunch. They are very forgiving their own and even shore up the ludicrous lies....they almost expect them. Look at Sarah "Death Squads" PALIN. Seems like there wasn't a lie she could inarticulate that there wasn't someone on the right defending. What they loathe is when the lies embarrass their moral high ground. A boy in the bed, a toe-tapping senator in a bathroom or a dress in the closet. Deal breakers! If David Vitter's trick had been named "Frank" he would now be asking if you wanted to supersize that combo!

I've met a couple transvestites (not gay, not drag queens) who came out in the community. They were a hoot but would never get on a stage or emcee a show - that's not the limelight they want. They want to blend...not be the opening act. I could be wrong, but this boy isn't gay....he's REALLY, REALLY GAY!

and confused
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 05:31:50 pm »
I knew a transvestite that also preformed on stage, albeit badly. He had a pretty small build and actually had great luck in picking up lesbians in the bar.

His day job was a cross country truck driver. I've been told he often drove dressed as a woman while en route.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:02:52 pm »
Sad, really. 

If you had ever been to Club Odyssey you would just how sad this really is.

The webpage also says that Wiles was suspended for “conduct unbecoming to a promoter of the Miss Gay America pageant system,” according to the webpage, without providing more information.

That part really sparks my imagination.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:20:09 pm »
I confess I didn't read the story completely before I began cracking jokes . I have a soft spot in my heart for transgendered men and women so politics aside I cant begin to fathom the turmoil and pain this person must live with everyday .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dan0

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 10:53:44 pm »
I don't know if he's exactly in turmoil and pain. Most folks wringing their hands don't throw on a lace front wig, pan stick and some size ten stilettos and start belting out Gloria Gaynor to a full bar. I could be wrong! I think the turmoil he's in is because he's got a past and he got caught! Steel Magnolias great quip of "if you can achieve puberty...you can achieve a past!" Is in full swing here. Gays don't get an exemption from bad career paths or cell phone pictures just because they clean up well and wear a nice tie.

Whatever his issues ...if there are any...I'm just glad he's not in contention to be a lawmaker.

Ms. Sinclair has LEFT the building!

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 10:55:32 pm »
I cant begin to fathom the turmoil and pain this person must live with everyday .
no problem with giving the guy some pity. Lots of people are f**ed up. However, this guy has been taking his issues out on others by advocating against LGBTs, and causing others to turn against LGBT people. He doesn't need a larger soapbox, or political power, to continue his anti-equality agenda.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 11:27:21 pm »
I agree that the path he has chosen is destructive but as long as there is life there is hope for change and now that his past has caught up with him I hope his next reinvention of himself is a healthier one .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 08:46:10 am »
Mona Sinclair (allegedly... remember, this is the internet)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 09:27:41 am »
I hope his next reinvention of himself is a healthier one .
I don't care as long as he quits making it harder for the rest of us GLBT by making people hate us
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 10:05:16 am »
I don't care as long as he quits making it harder for the rest of us GLBT by making people hate us

That's the thing ... the tide is turning in our favor in achieving equality and the only folks who listen to people like this guy are now the fringe and not mainstream .

This guys story is so fucked up I think he actually probably helps our cause . I'm happy he was exposed because it just goes to show how ridiculous it is for people to fixate on making anti GLBT part of an election process .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:03 am »
folks who listen to people like this guy are now the fringe and not mainstream . 
sadly not in the Carolinas :(
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 12:14:30 pm »
Mona Sinclair (allegedly... remember, this is the internet)

That picture is quite jolly compared to the I am sucking a Lemon and should not eat so much fast food the picture off him now screamed
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Dan0

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 12:16:33 pm »
Gurl.....those brows are FIERCE! Lol

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 10:42:32 pm »
Gawker picked up the story and posted a Facebook response by Steve Wiles.

http://gawker.com/anti-gay-marriage-gop-candidate-was-drag-queen-in-early-1572188256

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 04:45:30 am »
Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Equally stunning, the vapid testimonial, failed smoke and mirrors, transparent bait and switch.  Answer the questions clearly, dear.
Jesaz why does government attract such mealy mouthed klots.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:13 am »
The picture off him in the Gawker is just another picture off him in Drag. The costume this time off Mr Gop , how did he think it would not all come out? I cannot imagine the level off fear that he lived with off exposure , Mad the whole story is Mad.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Basquo

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 10:09:58 pm »
If you had ever been to Club Odyssey you would just how sad this really is.

The webpage also says that Wiles was suspended for “conduct unbecoming to a promoter of the Miss Gay America pageant system,” according to the webpage, without providing more information.

That part really sparks my imagination.

Maybe she was doing a shimmy and coke buggies spilled out of her bosoms onto the judges' table. It happened in San Antonio in the 90's. Not her.

Offline Dan0

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:07 am »

Stick a fork in Miss Mona....she's done! It's not surprising the loss but that a significant number of people still voted for him! I can only hope is was cross-over voters obviously seeing the humor in a match up with Mona Sinclair being the standard bearer for the Republicans. Would have made for a great treat.

Maybe she'll write a book, maybe she'll take her experience to the stage as a one-man show! Even bad publicity is good and we DO have a great track record for making stupid people famous (Paris Hilton, Duck Dynasty, the entire Kardashian clan, anything from Alaska and ..... Well....it just goes on and on...). Meanwhile, it appears that Clay Aiken WAS successful. Hmmmm....one out gay man running in the Carolina's wins....one ambiguously whatever does not. Lessons learned?

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline mecch

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 03:11:43 am »
Paris Hilton made herself famous and is arguable not dumb.  Supposed to have been very clever and pioneering at self-branding despite no obvious entertainment value. The Simple Life obviously entertained, so the public made her famous, ok, but back then she could be kinda funny sometimes, too. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 04:41:57 am »
arguably.... oops

Im glad for the public they are spared this person. He should figure out either his own authenticity, and/or how to present himself as a public figure.  :(

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 07:49:10 am »
Miss Mona Sinclair may say this is her farewell performance but we all know she will come back for another show ... its just the way things are .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dan0

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:45 am »

Meanwhile, elsewhere.......

Reuben who??

A conflicted state and a self-assured candidate don't necessarily add up to a win, and I don't know his stands on, well, anything - but bravo for not hiding behind who you expect the voters to want vs. who you actually are. Even if he doesn't win it's a WIN.

Even if I usually wind up screaming at the television in despair on election night and removing bumper stickers from soon to be forgotten candidates the next morning, American politics are dynamic and never boring.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:03:26 am by Dan0 »

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »
Steve Wiles could have benefited from Big Data. I find it very interesting that with data mining politicians can tailor their messages specifically for your interests and political leanings. A software program can determine that I'm interested in progressive healthcare policy and target my social media with advertisements that spin the candidate's record to one I would like while also spinning the candidate's record a different way for someone on the other side of the issue. The candidate can appear to be all things to all people with just a bit of data mining software, some talented spin artists and a lot of advertising dollars. Political candidates have always used spin but technology allows it to be personalized and pervasive as never before.

Steve Wiles could appear on my phone as a gay-friendly, progressive candidate that is comfortable with his sexuality, voted for Medicaid expansion and did drag 21.2 miles away from my home at Club Odyssey, while appearing on someone else's phone as a conservative candidate who has defended traditional marriage, is a member of the NRA and also enjoys shopping at Sam's Club.

Politicians are catfish.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 03:08:30 pm »

Politicians are catfish.

That high off the bottom is generous .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 05:16:00 pm »

Meanwhile, it appears that Clay Aiken WAS successful. Hmmmm....one out gay man running in the Carolina's wins....one ambiguously whatever does not. Lessons learned?

Since Clay was mentioned, his democratic opponent died today.  So, no run-off.  The right wing will say Clay killed him. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/clay-aiken-opponent-crisco-dead-n103551

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.