Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:01:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 310
Total: 310

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: my new cocktail  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Blond37

my new cocktail
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:52:25 pm »
Hello,
I know you are all gonna say blah blah blah ask your doctor but I dont want to. I'm asking HERE. How and when do I take these meds? with food? without?  also i have adhd and forget to take my meds. my compliance = less than 50%
Check me out in Poz magazine page 42, June 2010 :)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: my new cocktail
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:23:13 pm »
You are compliant in taking your drugs less than half the time?   Can you set an alarm or come up with some other reminder system to help you with this?
You need to work on being more compliant.   The drugs are great, but you have to get them inside you!

Don't know about your 'with or without food' question, depends on which drugs you are taking.

Good luck, let us know if we can help you with some suggestions about becoming more compliant.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 06:25:40 pm »
We're not your doctors here. People can only share their personal experiences.

What's your objection to talking about these issues with your doctor? Developing a good working relationship with your doctor is one of the best tools you have for staying healthy.

And what's your problem with compliance? Compliance is essential to benefitting from the meds. It's not a "when you feel like it" situation.

What's up?
Andy Velez

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »
Looks like there are two threads going on this topic - he got some good responses in the other one.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=7824.0
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 06:39:39 pm »
In this case, you will want to take your meds as they have been prescribed by your doctor. There are labels which indicate whether to take it with food or without food. If not certain, it is best to consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:36:59 pm »
How (meaning with water or? See pharmacy label) and when (again, see pharmacy label for 'twice daily' or 'once a day.'  You can set your own schedule but, leading to the next part, you need to be consistent.)  do I take these meds? with food? without? (See pharmacy label.  You can also, with any of this, contact your pharmacist.)   also i have adhd and forget to take my meds. my compliance = less than 50% (Until you can work out compliance, it may be in your best interest to contact your doctor and STOP medications until you can be consistent with them.  There is no point in allowing the virus to work its way around meds. which are not being taken consistent to an approach to allow them to work.)  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 03:48:59 pm »
I'm taking the same meds and take them every morning at breakfast, but I don't know what is with me in that I tend to forget almost instantly some mornings whether or not I've taken the damn things!  I THINK I might have missed taking them on 2 seperate occasions, so I'm going to get a pill box labeled for each day of the week.  Non-compliance is NOT an option!  As I understand it the options and side-effects become less favorable as you lose use of the most modern meds - am I right guys?  Meaning you might have to revert back to some of the older meds?

Steve
;0

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 04:01:14 pm »
As I've been told by my doctor think of something to help you remember like (ie...when I brush my teeth at say 9:00 PM before bed take you're Atripla or Sustiva and Truvada, or If the meds require food take them at a certain snack time everyday but establish a consistent timeline during the day. Write yourselve a reminder sticky in a obvious location or use a daily planner etc..

Offline Bartro

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 06:45:54 pm »
You can buy a weeklly pill box for a buck or so at any pharmacy.  I've always used these, even for short term prescriptions.  Even with my pill box sometimes I find myself checking to see if I took them or not.  It can really improve compliance.
Rusty

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 07:39:08 pm »
You can buy a weeklly pill box for a buck or so at any pharmacy.  I've always used these, even for short term prescriptions.  Even with my pill box sometimes I find myself checking to see if I took them or not.  It can really improve compliance.

I had that same problem with taking my diabetic meds, so my doc gave me a pill box. I find that it helps me keep track of taking my meds and if I'm in doubt, I just check to see if it is empty.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.