Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:08:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 361
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: TROUBLE SLEEPING  (Read 5385 times)

Offline jimenez50

TROUBLE SLEEPING
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:47:33 pm »
HI EVERYONE.  I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS HAD TROUBLE SLEEPING WHILE TAKING ATRIPLA. 

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
Re: TROUBLE SLEEPING
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:33:08 am »
Hi Jim,

Welcome!  No, it usually knocks me out, however I have trouble sleeping due to stress.

Drew

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:07:54 pm »
Jim,
The Atripla knocks me out also. I take it around 10:00PM every night and I am asleep at around 10:15. Although I do wake up around 4:30AM and am not able to fall back asleep afterward. So I guess the answer is yes and no!
Peter

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:25:58 pm »
Jimenez, when did the trouble sleeping begin?

Anything else different or changed going on along with going on Atripla?

Andy Velez

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:07:12 pm »
I dont know if you have a lot on your mind...possibly caused by starting meds (im assuming that you just did but i may be wrong)....i know i have HORRIBLE probblems sleeping in general when i have new things going on in my life because an overactive mind. Taking the ATRIPLA migh be making you think....

other suggestions for sleep....

no big meals before bed....especially true i hear with sustiva...no fatty meals if im wrong correct me....

No exercise late in the evening..exercise is important but it raises endorphins which can be helpful during an energetic day, but at night its a drag because you get pumped up even if your tired and sleep is next to impossible (im 100% sure about this one)

dont do anything that interests you before bed...ex talking online...

try to wake up at the same time every day no matter how much sleep you got the night before.....waking up at 1pm and trying to go to bed at 12-1am is difficult (my problem sometimes)

limit caffeine and alcohol intake....no caffeine at least 2-3 hours before bed and in my case i need to make it 5-6 hours before bed because i drink massive amounts....alcohol interferes with sleep also so cut that out if its an issue...smoking is also a problem because nicotine is a stimultant (chainsmokers!!!)

those are just a few things ive learned through reading and experience....hope it helps
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline Blixer

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:21:34 am »
Jim, I'm not on atripla but when I first started with sustiva I had significant insomnia.  We moved my meds to the morning.  I handle the sustiva just fine in the AM and now I'm usually asleep within minutes of going to bed at night.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:08:20 am »
Jim, I've had insomnia due to sustiva and due to the sustiva in the atripla. I was issued sleeping pills to help cope.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 02:03:38 am »
I'm going to my doc tomorrow (Friday) to get some good sleeping pills, I hope.  I've wasted so many days because I can't sleep at night.  I don't take Atripla.  I don't know why I can't sleep at night (and then I'm tired all day).

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 06:36:35 am »
Like Peter, I can take my Sustiva at 9pm and I am out 15 minutes later.  My fiirst month of Sustiva was not the same; however, it was causing me to just toss and turn but after I adjusted to the med, it's just a better form of ambien for me.

There was another thread on here about sleeping problems and sustiva and some people were taking melantonin to help.  It's better just to talk to your doc and see what he/she suggests.

How long have you been taking Atripla ?
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 10:08:44 pm »
puertorico I have to say I'm not sure I totally agree about your exercise advise.  I find that I will sleep very well if I work out, say 2-3 hours before bedtime, take a warm/hot shower, relax, unwind, and go to bed.  Perhaps people all react differently to nighttime exercise.  But it definitely works for me.

I think advise about not exercising at night, though I've heard it a million times, is an old wives tale.  It's up there with "shaving makes the hair grow back thicker" - it's not true.  It's an urban legend.  Just don't exercise 10 minutes before you want to go to sleep.  The increased heart rate would wake anyone up - temporarily.

I have found, though, that the caffiene thing is very true.  Don't do it if you have any trouble sleeping.  In fact, I can only drink a few cups of coffee or esspresso a day now, and never later than the afternoon.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 10:17:24 pm »
It's true that you shouldn't eat high fat food when you take your Sustiva (if you take it at night).  I'm on Sustiva and take it at night.  If I eat something that has a lot of fat in it, I have terrible nightmares.  It doesn't keep me awake, just the nightmares.  I find that I have to mentally "shut my mind off."  Otherwise, I could probably stay up all night (and right now I have no reason to do that! :D).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 10:23:10 pm »
Hi,

I am not on the same regimen but have bouts of insomnia due to a hyperactive mind. If, like me, you tend to be averse to taking (too much) medicine/chemicals and want to try a more natural route, try an infusion of orange blossom. In europe you can buy it in bulk (dry petals), usualy from food shops who sell middle eastern food. I find it works well and the taste is nice. You can also mix it with roman chamomille for a different taste. (Chamomille is calming too). Additionaly, go for the hot bath with a few drops of lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia).

hope this helps you sleep

Pat

People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 11:38:30 pm »
Yeah... began after about a year on Sustiva and have it on and off ever since (3yr and counting).   Over the last couple years now, the NRTI's are now causing it as well.  Currently I'm setting my alram for 3:15AM to get up and take the Sustiva.  It is the biggest culprit and this seems to help.  Usually I can get back to sleep before it kicks in and then I can sleep OK. 
This week I had it bad, not sure why because this has been my easiest week at work in six months.  I had to resort to sleeping pills 3 out of the last 5 nights.  I use restoril and don't want to take it too often because it's physically addictive... but it's one of the better sleeping pills because you won't have so much of a hangover from it and it seems to work... but it sometimes just isn't strong enough.  Tonight is Friday, so I'll just stay up till I konk out without chemical assistance... probably around 2 or 3.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 11:41:22 pm by MitchMiller »

Offline YnotinVA

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 12:02:49 am »
I started out taking Atripla before going to bed (and at least a couple to 3 hours after I had eaten (around 10:00 or 11:00pm), I slept well, but when I got up in the morning to go to work, I would still be dizzy and still very very sleepy.  So I wasn't getting into work until after 10:00 or 11:00am.  So after about 5 nights of that, I called my MD and he told me to change my dosage time to right before I leave work in the afternoon (around 4:30 or 5:00pm)...that way it would hit after I got home....and I would only have to make sure that 1.5 hrs had passed before I ate any dinner.  This gave the drug plenty of time to wear before the next morning.  Then I ran into the problem where I was having very bad insomnia.....so my doc wrote me a script for Ativan, which has helped me a lot in my sleeping and feeling ready to go the entire next day.  It's just that since I'm taking my med earlier in the day now, my late afternoon/early evening times are somewhat of a waste (as I get tired/dizzy/etc).

YnotinVA

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 12:37:21 pm »
Last November , my doc changed my regimen from Sustiva, Truvada to Atripla.  It was a nightmare.  For 5 months I would wake at 2-3 in the morning raring to go.  I Then would force myself back to sleep and have the worst dreams- even though I have been on Sustiva for over 3 years.  I told the doc I want back and am back to Sustiva, Truvada.

There is obviously something else in the Atripla mix.  Don't be afraid to let your doc know you are unhappy about Atripla.  And ask for other options -it's your health!
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 04:29:09 pm »
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/SustivaTips_7550.shtml

i had to take trazodone but that wore off too quick so the last 3 moths i tried Restoril which worked great but i couldn't handle sustiva anymore and switched. check out the tips on taking sustiva link maybe it will help. good luck.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.