Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hysterectomy  (Read 26935 times)

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
Hysterectomy
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:24:39 pm »
Okay Ladies,This seems to be the place for this topic.   In July I will be having a hysterectomy. The actual date hasn't been set yet,they will call me with that. The doctor say endometriosus, but whatever i just want it out to forstall further problems and help  with the current one.  anyway he says3 little holes and will try to leave an ovary. 2 to 3 weeks out of work.  Anyone with any knowledge that would like to share will be appreciated.I am a little nervous but feel this is a good option for me. Thanks,  Cristy

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
Re: Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:55:20 pm »
A hysterectomy sounds a bit extreme for endometriosis, but then again, I don't know much about endometriosis.  Is it a partial hysterectomy?  I guess I don't understand a whole lot of that... sorry...
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline catwoman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 01:38:28 am »
I have a friend who has endo and she has changed her diet a lot to help her endo.  I feel like a hysterectomy sounds extreme too.  My friend found that wheat gluten was aggravating her endo.  She had to have some surgeries to remove some but once her diet changed, she feels a lot better and her pain is just about gone.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 09:47:27 pm »
hello, Yes a hysterectomy may seem extreme but uterine ,cervical , and several other cancers run in my family so to me it seems a wise step to forstall future problems. And I do have pain.  Any ladies with any experience or knowledge of these things ,please share. Thanks Cristy.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:58:19 pm »
Hi CJC
I'm going to assume you're well past the want for pregnancy and I'd like to assume that you have a high level of regard for your OB/GYN (surgeon). If not, get a second opinion. If so, she's probably seen you through much of your difficulties to date. The fact that an ovary is being left behind will give you what you need (as little as a quarter of an ovary will actually suffice) to run the hormonal system and not necessitate any hormone replacement therapy. You may find, if you go ahead with the surgery, that you'll go into menopause somewhat earlier than you might have otherwise, but that's a " we won't know" situation until you're there and, not a big deal--it's actually a welcome phase once through it. The estimated recovery time you cite is remarkably short. There's no way you will want to return to your job in 2 weeks and I would be quite surprised at 3 as well. This is where you truly want to pay attention to your doc's recommendations and don't count on the least time. Take the time you need to heal and recover your strength. If you try to do something heroic, your body will show you who's boss, I assure you. Despite new surgical techniques, it is major surgery and the body simply needs time to heal. Adding your family history to the mix of your profile is a key factor in your case and were it my personal decision to make and all factors as to doc, desires, etc. addressed, I would move on it. Yes, you'll have some discomfort, but nothing like the protracted waltz with pain that endometriosis can engage. Best of luck to you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 09:02:35 am »
Hi Cristy,

I had terrible, painful endo ten, twelve years ago and I was given a treatment (can't for the life of me remember the name of the drug) where I was injected once a month for several months. It induced what's termed "artificial menopause" and gave my body a break from my monthly cycle. The treatment was started AFTER I had a laparoscopy where they used laser technology to remove the endo lining that was growing where it shouldn't have been. Then with the injections stopping my body from producing the endo lining for several months, when I stopped the treatment, the endo started behaving itself and only grew in the womb, where it's supposed to.

I had problems with the side effects of the treatment, but only because I wasn't told what to expect. The "artificial menopause" caused wild mood-swings and I thought I was losing it - but if I'd known the treatment was the cause, I would have been fine about it and would have been able to control the swings, like I did with the mood swings that come with the hep c treatment.

I know that for myself, a hysterectomy would be a last resort after I explored all other options. For example, I'm currently having a lot of problems with heavy bleeding (but not endo). I'm going to have something called a Mirena coil fitted. It's a birth control method that's part IUD and part hormone therapy, similar to the implants you can get instead of the Pill. I was offered a hysterectomy, but I'm going to try this first. Allegedly, the first period you have after having the coil fitted is a heavy one, but after that they decrease until most women no longer get a period at all. Sounds like bliss to me! I'll probably start a thread on the subject when I am ready to have the coil fitted. I have to have an ultrasound done first, to rule out fibroids. With moving house and whatnot, I've put off doing it, but will put the wheels in motion soon.

Has your doctor offered you any alternatives to a hysterectomy? A lot of doctors go straight for the surgery, when there are other options that can - and to my mind, should - be explored first.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:04:19 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 09:43:53 am »
Thanks Ann and everyone who has replied. I have had my tubes tied so no more pregnancies for me.       Ann,I requested the hysterectomy and my gynecologist  approved it. I am(maybe irrationally) worried about cancer and also have pain so I guess they are just giving me what I want. I will watch out for the mood swings and they will leave my ovaries so my hormones will level out. Thanks for the warning.  Cristy

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 09:59:24 pm »
Hi CJC
I'm going to assume you're well past the want for pregnancy and I'd like to assume that you have a high level of regard for your OB/GYN (surgeon). If not, get a second opinion. If so, she's probably seen you through much of your difficulties to date. The fact that an ovary is being left behind will give you what you need (as little as a quarter of an ovary will actually suffice) to run the hormonal system and not necessitate any hormone replacement therapy. You may find, if you go ahead with the surgery, that you'll go into menopause somewhat earlier than you might have otherwise, but that's a " we won't know" situation until you're there and, not a big deal--it's actually a welcome phase once through it. The estimated recovery time you cite is remarkably short. There's no way you will want to return to your job in 2 weeks and I would be quite surprised at 3 as well. This is where you truly want to pay attention to your doc's recommendations and don't count on the least time. Take the time you need to heal and recover your strength. If you try to do something heroic, your body will show you who's boss, I assure you. Despite new surgical techniques, it is major surgery and the body simply needs time to heal. Adding your family history to the mix of your profile is a key factor in your case and were it my personal decision to make and all factors as to doc, desires, etc. addressed, I would move on it. Yes, you'll have some discomfort, but nothing like the protracted waltz with pain that endometriosis can engage. Best of luck to you.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 10:10:29 pm »
Emeraldize.thanks for the info. I had to quote it like this so I could actually read it. I will definitely take your advice and take my recovery slowly. On the first two remarks you assume correctly,I had my tubes tied in 2003 ,and I have a good doctor. Again ,thank you. Cristy

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 06:52:26 pm »
I really don't know much about hysterectomies other than you are usually recovering for longer than those 2 weeks that you mentioned. I saw this first hand from a friend who had one done. I can understand why you requested it due to your fears but you have to do what is right for you.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 08:49:42 pm »
thanks for the reply, Queen. Everyone ,including ya'll, has agreed that 2 or 3 weeks seems to short. I will defiantly not push it when I am recovering. I am fortunate, my mother will help take care of Robert(my 4 YO). And I will be moving to a downstairs bedroom. I will let ya'll know when the date is confirmed. Thanks  Cristy

Offline Andie

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »
Hi, Ladies. Question: Has anyone had problems with abnormal paps since being diagnosed? I have gone through quite a few paps and the results have all been abnormal. I am scheduled for an ultrasound. Does anyone know what they are looking for?

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 08:30:44 pm »
Hi, Ladies. Question: Has anyone had problems with abnormal paps since being diagnosed? I have gone through quite a few paps and the results have all been abnormal. I am scheduled for an ultrasound. Does anyone know what they are looking for?
                                                                                                                     Hello Andie Welcome to the forums. Commonly you would start a new thread on your topic, but I am willing to answer you question in mine. I have had abnormal paps since1992. I had cryotherapy in 97 to clear the dysplasia. All this before I was diagnosed. After I was diagnosed in 2004,my dysplasia came back. If I understand correctly,when they do a ultrasound, they are looking for abnormalities in your uterus. Hope this helps. Cristy

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:25:48 pm »
Hello, Ladies. Got the date today for the Hysterectomy. It will be on July 10th. So ya'll wish me luck on that day. I will take a month off work and  see how I feel after that. Thanks,  Cristy

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 06:11:30 am »
Cristy, yes, good luck!

I really hope the proceedure brings you relief. Nothing worse than doing constant battle with hormones and lower abdominal pain and all the other fun stuff.

((((((Cristy)))))) Wishing you not just good luck, but an easy time of it and a quick recovery. With a bit of luck, your recovery time will be a chance to enjoy being pampered and allowed to relax. Fingers crossed!

Hyster-hugs ;)
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 09:06:04 am »
Hi Cristy

Good to learn of your upcoming surgery and having read through the thread your decision to have your bedroom downstairs is wise. I see you intend to take a month off work---tres bon!

I don't intend to pry, but if you're not living with anyone and will be mending alone, make sure to have a couple of friends call you once a day--just brief calls to check in with you. I advise this because it's easy to go into a funk post-surgery---everything changes temporarily---and becoming blue is often a reaction to significant change (or, a cry indicating the need for it.) To know you are still connected will go a long way for your mental health which does affect your adrenal system/immune system and your healing abilities. And, of course, you'll be entering your updates here!

If you're not a good eater, vitamin-taker type, try to start those habits now and build yourself up as you've got plenty of lead time before surgery. Do what you can to increase your physical strength, too. Walking is an easy way to accomplish much of what you need.

Wishing you the best outcome.

Em

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 10:39:14 am »
Thanks ladies. I am very fortunate that my mom will be taking care of myself and my very energetic 4 YO.  I will try to relax and allow myself to be pampered but I get restless.  At least I love to read and that will help. Also the computer is downstairs so I can play here and distract myself that way. I will update at the appropriate time.  I do take pre-natals every day but I will try to get more exercise to get ready. Good suggestion.    Thanks again.  Cristy

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 07:47:21 pm »
I hope your recovery is a swift one.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 12:23:04 pm »
Hello , Got alittle update. The date has been changed to July 9th ,which is my birthday, at 1:30. This is the only time my  doctor does surgery. also I've been told that it will be a vaginal hysterectomy,but I have a appointment June 21st to discuss it with my doctor. i am getting nervous even though I asked for this. I will update again after June 21st.   Cristy

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 07:06:48 pm »
Cristy
So glad you wrote with an update. I was thinking about you day before yesterday--revisited your post--and realized the surgery was still a ways off.

Jeez--your birthday of all days!! Well, the gift may be the type of surgery you're having. It is my understanding that the vaginal-style hysterectomy makes for an easier recuperation because the peritoneal cavity isn't accessed through the abdominal wall, musculature, etc.

So, you certainly won't want cake, but maybe someone will give you a gift certificate for an in-home massage!!

Take care til then.
Em

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 10:25:36 pm »
Thanks Em. I will update again after the june21st visit when I have more info but my mom agrees with you,the healing will be easier.   Cristy

Offline jntmax39

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 11:19:13 am »
Hey Cristy
I had a hysto years ago.I had tumors on my uteras,and endo,also cancer was very high in my family on the maternal side,so I needed to have the hysto...
If  you have children or don't want any,it's great to not have a period.Everytime I was on my cycle I got so sick and weak because I would loose a lot of blood,I was going threw 25 pads in 3 days and towards the end I went threw 24 pads within hrs...
They do hysto's very easy now,when I had mine I was in hospital for a week.Now It's only 1day stay. And 6 weeks to recover.Now it will only take a full 3 weeks,but my girlfriend just had a hysto and she felt better after a week.You have nothin to worry about.I love not having a period...lol....

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 04:09:06 pm »
Thanks jntmax39.Cancer runs in my family ,too. I do have a pre op appointment June 21st and I have lots of questions but I have started to get a little nervous and your firsthand experiences are reassuring..  I do have kids and don't want anymore and will be glad for the periods to stop. Funny, I haven't had one yet this month but I figure stress cause it's sure not from sex lol. I wish I could get some of that.   Anyway thanks ladies. I will update  again after my pre op appointment.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 07:08:27 pm »
hello Ladies. Had my pre op appointment today. It went well. I will stay over night and it will be a Vaginal hysterectomy . No laroscopic assist because we will be leaving my ovaries. She echoed what several of you have said, The vaginal hysto is much easier to recover from. It is still scheduled for July 9th and I will go home the following morning. Oh , she's gonna give me percocet. I like percocet. I should be able to go back to work in 4 to 6 weeks, drive and go upstairs after a week. Thanks to everyone who has responded to this post. I will update again after the surgery.    Cristy

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 08:10:17 pm »
Ahoy Cristy!

Thanks for the update.
Looking forward to hearing from you post-op.

Em

Offline Christine

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 03:01:08 pm »
Hi Cristy,
My best friend had a laroscopic hystorectemy for endo and fibroids. Kept both ovaries. She wanted it done, because she had been really suffering from bleeding, cramping, pain. She was in the hospital three days. Complete bed rest for (I think) one week. No stairs/ bending over. No sex, no straining or pushing with a bowel movement. She had moderate pain, but her recovery took longer than first planned. She was off work for two months.

Her pain lasted about 6 weeks, not intense, but uncomfortable. She is very glad she had it done. She would get menstrual migraines, and those have stopped.

Good luck with the surgery.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2007, 02:33:35 pm »
Hello, ladies. Two days to my hysterectomy and my nerves are kicking up. Thank god for Xanax. I met the anesthesiologist yesterday  and had blood drawn.  I go in Monday at 12:30 and the surgery is scheduled for 2. I should be discharged Tuesday Morning and then will be home and  i will check in then and let ya'll know I am okay.   Cristy

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2007, 02:42:33 pm »
Aww don't be nervous, it's going to be fine. Just make sure you made preparations at home for post surgery. Hopes you have a speedy recovery... ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2007, 09:07:00 pm »
Aww don't be nervous, it's going to be fine. Just make sure you made preparations at home for post surgery. Hopes you have a speedy recovery... ;D
                                                                                Thanks Queen. Everything set up downstairs. Lots of smoke, cigs and chocolate. My mother will help take care of me  and Robert for the first week..Just a little nervous but you are right, everything will be fine.  Cristy

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2007, 06:37:06 am »
((((((Cristy))))))

I'll be thinking of you on Monday and sending you my secret recipe love, light and positive healing energy your way, along with a good dollop of calm vibes.

Sounds like you're well prepared, and I wish you an uneventful hospital stay and a speedy recovery. Enjoy the pampering while it lasts! ;)

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 04:22:44 pm »
When you're ready (it's NOT urgent)
Let us know about your surgeon
Did he stitch you up just right
So we can make you laugh all night?

Of course, we hope it went quite well
Often they can quickly tell
And then you'll soon be off and running
Ready to read and ready for sunning

Tell us of all the bon-bons you consume
And slowly plodding from from room to room
But first of all know that we're missing your view
And wish the speediest recovery to you!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:24:25 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 09:31:24 pm »
Oh yeah, today is the day....I'm sure everything went fine...She's prolly high as a kite and feeling no pain... ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 04:48:51 pm »
Hello ladies. Iam home. I had to stay a extra day because I had unexplained bleeding I lost half my blood, and they went back in with a Laroscope but could not find the source it has stopped.I am okay and will write again later when I feel better. Cristy

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2007, 06:47:24 pm »
((((((Cristy))))))

Glad to hear you're back home again - and growing more blood! ;)

Hope you feel better real soon.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2007, 11:20:31 pm »
Welcome Home...Wow, sorry to hear about the blood loss but am glad it corrected itself and they didn't have to do anything else...Now you just rest and heal up....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 11:33:58 pm »
Hey Cristy

Welcome back to the keyboard!
Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

Looking forward to your first paragraph.

Em

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 01:35:48 pm »
Thanks Ladies. I am feeling better today. Kinda weak but that's to be expected.   Em, I liked your poem, it made me smile. I haven't had any bonbons but have made myself eat some fruit and soup so I can build my strength back up. They did give me blood with the second surgery so I should be okay in a few days. I am shuffling from room to room and I caught Sweet Girl this morning and gave her a bath. Nothing worse than flea-covered kitten trying to love on you.  Antway I will check back in later.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 05:22:59 pm »
Cristy,

The pleasure was mine as I cannot send flowers which are delightful to have when parked on a couch mending from surgery.

Glad to know you've got a kitten to distract you, too!

Em

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 12:26:29 am »
Cristy

Checking in on you. How are you feeling?

Em

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 07:08:30 am »
Hello, Em. I am feeling quite well. I went to Durham visiting Tuesday(i really enjoyed myself)and took Robert to preschool yesterday and will be taking him today as well.  No baths or heavy lifting yet but I am surprised  at how good I feel. Thanks for asking.  Cristy

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 10:00:27 am »
Hi Cristy

Terrific! Thanks for the update. And, hurrah, you managed to have an excursion, too. So far, your recovery time seems to support the style of hysterectomy you had does have benefits!

Em

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
Re: Hysterectomy/update
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 08:05:27 pm »
Hello ladies. I had my 1st followup appointment today. She just looked at the small cuts on my tummy, said the stitches will dissolve on there on and want to see me back at the end of the month. I feel pretty good now. Also, i was able to get her to approve me to go back to work. My same schedule, 2 weeknights and every other Sunday. By the time Robert starts school at the end of August, I will be fit to add a couple lunch shifts to that. So I am doing great. Thanks for all your support.   Cristy

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2007, 12:22:26 am »
Done. Had my final followup appointment today. My doctor gave me an exam and I am given the all clear. I go back once a year for a checkup.  I'm glad I had it done and have no pain or periods. Thanks to all who provided insight or just a response.  Cristy

Offline nottsnicola

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2007, 10:03:42 pm »
Hi Cristy.

I'm Nicola, from the UK - joined the forum just a couple of weeks ago and introduced myself on the "by way of introduction" thread in the Positive Women section. Been diagnosed since 2002 and on meds.

Cristy - so pleased your hysterectomy went well and you're well on the way to full recovery - make sure you take things easy and don't overdo it - you need plenty of time to heal properly. I wish you a very speedy recovery. I also just want to say that I'm inspired by your experience and for sharing it here on this forum.

For me, it gives me an insight into a potential option (i.e. hysterectomy) that I've been considering for some time. I think you said your hystero was prompted by endometriosis. In my case (and I'm sharing it here and now in case anyone else out there has similar problems), I have massive fibriods (I'm 41), that without any treatment, cause me to bleed uncontrollably. I've been through the whole spectrum of options - Ann mentioned a Mirena coil. That works really well for some women - for me, I had a total of 5 Mirenas in the space of a few years and they kept falling out!! I then had what's called an "endrometrial ablation" 2 years ago - they burn off the lining of the uterus. That didn't work either...! So now, I'm having something quite unusual, so unusual you won't find much on the internet about it. I have an injection every 3 months called Prostap - it induces a menopause. It's usually used short term (max 6 months) for women about to have a hysterectomy for fibroids, to shrink them pre-surgery. In my case, my gynaecologist has agreed for me to have it long term as an alternative to surgery (i.e. hysterectomy). Only thing that worries me is that this treatment seems almost unheard of long term - most women in my position would opt for a hysterectomy, but I'm just too scared. However, this injection works great - it just stops me bleeding, totally.

However Cristy, your experience gives me a food for thought - it has all gone very well for you and I'm really happy for you.  So reading your experience, I may just reconsider having a hysterectomy - it has been fine for you. You say "I'm gald I had it done" is a real insight. So now I may seriously consider it myself - so thanks for sharing your experience.

At the same time, all of us women need to make sure we have all the options laid out for us when it's gynae-related and have the support we need to make the right choice for each one of us. My gynaecologist here in the UK is fab - I sort of "sacked" 4 of his predecessors - for me, as a woman, I need a gynaecologist I like and trust. My feeling is that every woman has the right to a gynaecologist they can work with to decide what is best for their own body.

So thanks Cristy. Take care,

Nicola.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2007, 08:44:31 am »
Nicola, You are very welcome. Sounds like what you are going through is very painful. I was fortunate that both of my ovaries are left and I healed up extremely well.  The hysterectomy was a good potion for me cause I was done having kids. It is important to explore all options and the  ladies here helped me do that. If I can be of any help let me know and I bet if I don't have the answer, somebody here does. Best of luck . Cristy

Offline Paulette

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2007, 05:25:58 pm »
ONE YEAR AGO I WAS DX: WITH CEVERCAL CANCER AND THEY  DID WHAT THEY CALL A LEAP AND IT CAME BACK THAT THE TYPE OF CANCER I HAD WAS AGGRESSIVE AND WOULD COME BACK EVEN STRONGER THAN BEFORE, SO THE NEXT STEP WAS TO DO A PARTIAL(LEAVING MY OVERIES) THEY HAD TO CUT ME OPEN SO THEY COULD GET A GOOD LOOK AT MY OVERIES AS WELL AND AT THE SAME TIME THEY TOOK OUT MY APPENDIX.  THIS ALL HAPPEND ON 11/30/2006 AND STILL TO THIS DAY I HAVE TROUBLE WITH PAIN IN THAT AREA(OH DID I MENTION THAT THE OVERIES WHERE FINE) BUT NOW I 'M EXPERCIENCING OVERAIN CYSTS WHICH IS VERY PAINFUL IN IT'S SELF, BUT I CAN SAY THAT I'M GLAD I DID IT, CAUSED IT SEEMED LIKE EVERY TIME I WENT ON VACATION MY FRIEND(PERIOD) WOULD COME; EVEN ON MY HONEYMOON.  GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY; I'LL KEEP YOU IN  MY PRAYERS. BUT WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE YOU'LL BE GLAD, BECAUSE WE POSITIVE WOMEN ARE AT A HIGHER RISK OF DEVELOPING CERTAIN TYPES OF CANCER.
PAULETTE
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.