Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:26:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 423
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 390
Total: 392

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New poz july  (Read 6767 times)

Offline JonE

New poz july
« on: July 21, 2010, 05:08:36 pm »
Tested Poz the 14th of July. Had been going to the doctor for a few months for a variety of ailments including hives. When the test came back it at least explained all the health issues. Tested neg in December. Wasn't expecting the result, was really safe...but...guess not enough. I am pretty sure I got it via oral sex. Well been reading a lot on this great site. Had quit smoking before the poz result, then started up since. Need to get rid of that and get serious about my health now. I am unemployed and out of insurance, but luckily qualify for some programs here. Over the next month or so, should get my labs and all done...Thanks everyone for your information.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: New poz july
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:45 pm »
Happy Bastille Day.

Oh and Welcome to the forums. Sorry you joined, glad you found us all the same.

MtD

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:31:48 pm »
Sorry to hear that you are now HIV+.  As you have read, especially on here, its not the death sentence that it was once thought to be (and actually was for so many good people).  Welcome to the forums and jump in with questions and discussions.  There is a wealth of knowledge amongst many who post here.  Try to maintain a good attitude if you can also, in my opinion, that seems to help.  Best of luck to you JonE.  I am still a newbie and far from being an expert on HIV/AIDS, but do welcome you to the group.  

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:19:38 pm »
Welcome Jon!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:10:28 pm »
hi john,

welcome aboard. like yourself, i too was super careful, but...shit happens, right? stay focused on staying healthy, learn all you can about hiv (from credible and current sources), what the labs involve, establish a good relationship with your doc and all is gonna be fine. there's a wealth of info on this site between the lessons and interactive dialogue. the forum always manages to have a good time, too.

max
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:55:43 pm »
Jon,
  Welcome.  I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Great advice has been given, which I will not duplicate. ...

Don't worry about the how or the morality.  None of that matters.  Satisfy your own curiosities, but worry about tomorrow.

The outlook is pretty good for people diagnosed now, especially when compared wtih 10 or 20 years ago.  Think of HIV like you would diabetes.... manageable with care and concern.  Deadly with neglect.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:58 am »
Welcome Jon -
Glad you found us.  Keep us informed on how the labs go.  Look forward to hearing more from you.

Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline JonE

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 03:48:11 am »
Thanks for all your wise words everyone. Just taking it slow, and reading a lot. It will be about a month for all the test and such. At first I was wanting it to be faster, but the more I learn the more it seems I will need to take some time to decide/understand treatment risks/ect. I'm on a county assisted HIV program. Seems to be pretty well organized. Already had a dental exam, got a filling, and a cleaning. My last dentist took a month just to get an appointment. I guess they are pretty concerned with cavities and HIV.

Ok I have a number of swollen lymph nodes, showed up in the last say 2 months. They ache off and on. Now has anyone else had this, and do the treatments have any effect on this? This, the fatigue, and previously rashes have put a damper on my job hunting. The rashes were crazy but seem to be gone at this point so maybe the lymph nodes will subside? The over the top fatigue seems to be gone now too (I remember about 3 months ago walking up the stairs and being completely out of energy, thinking there really has to be something wrong). Well thanks for reading this...

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:25:07 pm »
Lymph nodes are par for the course...... it gets better with time and they stop bugging you.  On the bright side, the swelling is your body fighting HIV.

As for dental, yes, cavities are an infection and so they want to stamp that out.  Studies have shown that dental care is critical to your health when you are HIV+. 

The most important thing is you are in care.... and that you are learning and asking questions.  Keep asking because that is what the forums are for.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline JonE

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 12:56:30 am »
Thanks for the replies and PM's.

Another question regarding who to notify. So I only thought of insertive partners. But say a mutual J/O partner who maybe ejaculate landed on each others skin. It would seem to me that would be a 0 risk activity, am I right? I didn't think about it when I was talking with the counselor, will ask next time. Thanx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 01:04:12 am »
Thanks for the replies and PM's.

Another question regarding who to notify. So I only thought of insertive partners. But say a mutual J/O partner who maybe ejaculate landed on each others skin. It would seem to me that would be a 0 risk activity, am I right? I didn't think about it when I was talking with the counselor, will ask next time. Thanx

Who to notfiy? Butt sex partners. That's all.

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 01:06:50 am »
And pussy sex partners too.

Just in case you swing that way. :)

MtD

Offline JonE

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 05:38:10 pm »
Met with my HIV doctor for the first time yesterday and received my results. Seem pretty good! CD4 637, 32%, VL 100k. My lipids are on the high side of acceptable, with my HDLs being low at 31. The genotype indicates sensitivity to all meds. I am STD free except for our friend HIV. The doctor discussed current philosophy (start treatment <500 cd4), then the personal side of the decision and some other factors that might affect ones decision. I have read much of this site and another, so I had heard most of this, but it's really useful and comforting to have input from an experienced doctor. The few people in my life I have told have been of no use, and at the moment I have no plans of telling any other friends or family. I mean seriously the infection of media sensationalism isn't anything I am willing to cure at this point. My cat was the only one with a rational response to my HIV status.

So anyway I did another set of blood draws, and have an appointment in 2 weeks. At that point I will most likely start treatment. We went over some stuff, and I expressed my interest in starting treatment sooner rather then later. Some of the factors: inflamed tissues, fatigue, a kidney issue that indicates sooner treatment. But for me the factor pushing it over the top is I have the time to do it now. I am unemployed now, and can afford to deal with the side effects at this time. Like say if I were to wait and get a good job in say 3 months then have to start treatment, become non proficient in my job while I adapt to treatment meds, and get canned. Just seems to be the right time now, oh and I will be another data point for starting treatment early...

So I had been sweating the cost of meds, but yesterday I got on the full ride ADAP. Previously I had focused on Atripla as a possible (most likely) treatment option. Mostly because I could get it from a foreign pharmacy for far less then other treatment options. But now any are on the table. I am still leaning twords Atripla because:
1. Its a single pill. I do have 15 years of experience sticking to a daily regiment for blood pressure pills.
2. PI's are not indicated as a good treatment option for my lipid profile.
3. The Sustiva part of Atripla can make you dizzy and have strange dreams. Figure I need that since as part of the treatment I'm taking a year break from alcohol and 15 year break from smoking.
4. Long term side effects thus far don't seem unmanageable.

Going to look over the other treatment options for next 2 weeks and see if anything changes my mind. Of course Atripla might not work and I need to switch at some point anyway.

So does any of this sound nutz? Besides my Dr and cat I don't have any rational people to discuss with. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 07:13:45 pm »
Very good CD4 values, Jon.

Seems like you're doing your homework to get started on meds. That is commendable. Good luck with whatever decision that you make.  You will be fine.

Ah, and (belated) welcome to the forums, sorry you had to join us, glad that you found us, and all that good stuff.

Best,

Da Rev.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.