Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:04:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: It never ends...please, I need your opinion to know it's conclusive  (Read 5668 times)

Offline shooul

Hello everybody, and congratulations Rapidrod, Ann, Andy Velez, and everybody who writes in this forum. I have been reading you for many months, and now I hope this is my last post.

Resumming, I had a single exposure with a sexworker in August, 5 months ago. It has been the only one, and it will be the last one, of course. It was always protected, but suddenly the condom broke and I changed it immediately.  (I apologise for my bad English).  It was maybe 3 or 4 seconds of unprotected sex, maybe less, but as I have learnt, that is enough to be a "risk exposure".

Then I followed the guidelines, and 3 months after the exposure, the ELISA I took was negative (in fact I took another qualitative PCR test after 115 days,  negative too). So I followed your advice and tried to stop worrying.

But yesterday, after 5 months and 10 days, I saw her (the sexworker, and not for sex of course!!!) and I couldn't avoid asking her about her serostatus. She didn't react very well (I understand), and she told me that she was "fine" and usually tested, but she was clearly lying.
I asked her (very polite) if I could see her tests and she answered "no", of course. The conclussion is, that I am totally sure that she has never taken a test (believe me). Or, which is possible, that she is HIV+ and she doesn't want to say.

So, all my calm was over!!!It is the neverending history: when can I be sure that I am negative?Today, I have taken another ELISA test, the last one, after 5 months and 10 days, and it was negative again.
Somebody told me that, with this last test and the 3 1/2 month PCR, it's absolutely conclusive. But I don't know what to believe, I need your opinion and rest, and continue with my life:
- Some say that after a exposure with a HIV+ person, 3 and 6 months testing is needed (CDC says so, I have read)
- Some other experts say that 3 months is enough and that's all.
- Some other doctor told me that with the PCR, I don't need to wait 6 months, but then, some other people (Dr.Bob in thebody, for example), don't admit the PCR as a diagnosis tool.

Understand me, I thought everything was finished with the 3 month one and now...this changes everyting.
Let's suppose that in fact she is HIV+ (if she wasn't, she would not have been so nervous after my question, believe me). Are all my tests conclusive anyway???I hope so, I just can't wait another 3 weeks to the 6 month mark.

Thank you very very much, I promise that I will not bother you again, I just need an expert opinion and forget this.

THANK YOU

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: It never ends...please, I need your opinion to know it's conclusive
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:49:47 am »
Your test results are conclusive. You are HIV negative. Protected sex is just that, protected. Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted

The CDC does not recommend 6 month testing, it recommends testing at 13 weeks. PCR testing has an unacceptable rate of false positive results and is not approved for diagnostic use.

As for this comment:

She didn't react very well (I understand), and she told me that she was "fine" and usually tested, but she was clearly lying.

You have no way of knowing if she was lying or not. Nor did you have any right to ask her about these things. Most likely you received an unpleasant response from her because she didn't appreciate being accosted in the street by the likes of you.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:57:55 am »
Shooul,

As Matty points out, you are conclusively hiv negative. You do not need further testing, no matter what the woman's hiv status may or may not be. You ARE hiv negative.

Make sure you read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can avoid condom breaks in future. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline shooul

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:28:10 am »
Your test results are conclusive. You are HIV negative. Protected sex is just that, protected.

Thank you for the quick reply, Ann and Matt.

It wasn't protected sex, the condom broke, for a few seconds during sex intercourse, but it broke! So, that is a risk exposure, and it is why I had to be tested as I explain.

If she was any other person, for example a one-night girlfriend, a person that I had never seen anymore, etc I would understand the guidelines, and after testing after 3 months, I would have forgotten.

But, she is very probably HIV+, and that changes everything.  Supose that she takes a test and she is positive, that would automatically make me to test again after 6 months post-incident too? This is was makes me crazy. For example, CDC and Dr.Bob ALWAYS say: "if the other person was HIV+ or a high risk group, then you should test again after 3 months and 6 months".

Well, after talking with her, she is probably HIV+. Let's be conservative and think that in fact she is (risk group, sex worker with many partners, although non drug user I think), then...should I wait until 6 months? That is my big question.

With so many negative ELISAS after 3months, 5 months and 10 days, and a negative 3 1/2 months PCR test, is that all? Can I be confident that I'm HIV -?

The idea of having to wait another 3 weeks until the 6 month mark is getting me mad and anxious.

Thank you very much again, I will thank your opinions.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:33:13 am »
Did you read the above replies? Your test was conclusive. You are negative.

Offline shooul

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 11:50:01 am »
But, Rapidrod, don't I have to wait until 6 months if she confirms to be positive? Why do you think that I am negative? Because of the tests and timings? Becouse of the short exposure? (condom broken)

I have never understood why, if the other person's status is unknown, 3 months is conclusive...but if the other person is positive or almost sure positive, even with a single exposure, then it's mandatory to wait until the 6 month mark.

Thank you for your patience and help

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 11:58:35 am »
Even if she tested positive that has nothing to do with your results. You tested negative. That means you DON'T HAVE HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 12:16:28 pm »
shooul,

As I already told you, regardless of the woman's hiv status, a three month negative result is conclusive. The hiv window period is three months, not six.

You ARE hiv negative. You do not need further testing. Period, end of story.

Make sure you read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can avoid condom breakage in future.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline shooul

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 05:00:04 pm »
OK, thank you for your help to everyone. I just wanted to put this to rest and be confident that it is conclusive.

But, understand me, there are some contradictions:

- I don't understand why some guidelines, as for example CDC and Dr.Bob in thebody.com, say that if the other person's status is positive, then another 6 months test is needed. If the window period is always the same...why this difference between some cases and another ones?

- The CDC statemente about "97% of people will develop...in 3 months", then what about the other 3%?

Well, thank you again for your help. I was scared and wanted to be sure that this is definitive and conclusive.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 05:30:22 pm »
We don't care what other websites say. The CDC says 3 months is conclusive.. You don't have to worry about the other 3% because you are not in that category.

Offline shooul

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 05:43:32 pm »
Ok, Rapidrod, so I can be sure it's conclusive? Thank you for your help, I won't post anymore. Thanks for your patience.

Offline shooul

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 03:59:27 am »
One last question, just to be curious: I have read in an AIDS book in the library that in cases where the exposure is very low and the transmission is produced, then the production of antibodies may take more than 6 months (the book says even one year). These cases are, that ones where a very few amount of virus is transmitted: for example, condom broken for a few seconds, some occupational exposures with very few blood, etc.

Is this true???I am surprised because of reading this in an AIDS book (it was written 10 years ago, maybe it's not updated???I don't know)

If this is true, then maybe in a case like mine (with short unprotected sex due to a condom broken) could take more than 6 months to test positive in the ELISA. But...anyway, what about the PCR test after 3 months and a half? Would this PCR qualitative test pick up the virus?

Thank you for the response, I just wanted to know if that statement is true.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 05:18:43 am »
shooul,

A ten year old book on hiv is absolutely ANCIENT in terms of up-to-date information.

You ARE hiv negative. Conclusively hiv negative. You do not need further testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.