Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 345
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mood changes  (Read 13281 times)

Offline DCGUY2007

Mood changes
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:53:36 am »
For a while now I have been pretty moody. I take Lexapro and seems to help for a while then again I can get depressed again. Seems I go from despondent to ok to despondent again in a few days. I also can't seem to concentrate. I'm taking some courses and I just cannot seem to concentrate. I used to do well in school. Now it seems like I am always stressed out about something. I worry a lot about body changes.When is my body going to change? Is it changing now? What can I do about it?  I worry about my health. I feel lonely a lot. I also realize there have been some changes in my personal life but I would think by now I should be passed it.

For five years I had roommate at my other place. I then sold that place and bought another one. My previous roommate then found a boyfriend and I never see him anymore. Then my best friend of 12 years also now has a boyfriend and I hardly ever see him maybe once every three weeks. We used to talk everyday (I also don't like his boyfriend so that doesn't make it easier). Also my ex-lover/ friend got diagnosed with cancer and he moved back to Philadelphia this past December. Another friend I had is now on Crystal Meth so I don't socialize with him.

I do try and get out but Im usually shy. I work in a environment where there are 90 percent females. They talk to me and want to socialize but they are looking to date. I don't want to lead them on so I don't go out with them. I think I may be coming up with my own answer after writing this. Maybe I just need to give things more time for me to adjust to changes in my life. But hell it has been two years. I would think by now I would be ok with being alone most of the time. Instead I find myself being moody a lot. I defnitely don't want more drugs to change my moods. I will probably get off the Lexapro because it isn't helping that much and totally kills my sex drive (which isn't such a bad thing actually).

Has anyone else experienced these type of mood changes. Maybe Im just going through midlife crisis.  8)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Mood changes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:42:06 am »
DC, it seems like you have been having a lot of changes to get through in your life. Obviously with coping with HIV plus all of the others with different people in your life. That's a lot to deal with.

I'm wondering if you have seen a therapist or other professional like that where you can talk things out in a safe environment. Isolation kinda feeds on itself and it can all too quickly become a way of life. Have you checked out about ASO facilities in DC where you can get counseling and perhaps participate in groups?

Believe me there are others who share your problem so if you're willing to reach out a bit you may find some good company.

And keep talking to us here.

Cheers, buddy.
Andy Velez

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:59:28 am »
Life's about changes, your job is to learn to cope with them, whether you like them or not.

As Andy suggested, there are groups available through The Whitman-Walker Clinic in D.C. and the suburbs to provide support and the potential of friendship to help you through changes.  The contacts to learn more are
Scott Shaughnessy (202) 939-7671 or sshaughnessywwc.org or Myrina McCullough (202) 939-7671 or MMcCulloughwwc.org

Cheers,
David

"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline traveltramp

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:40:33 am »
Mood changes, well, they happen.  I too have found that I go back and forth from feeling pain to joy and sadness to happiness.  I have been with HIV now for about 6 weeks and have enjoyed some grand suffering.  I say enjoyed because I believe that without great suffering there is no great joy.  Life is a balance and we can't have it sunny all the time.  I go from being very healthy, kind and loving towards myself and others to being very angry and destructive towards myself and others.  I will find the balance as you will too.  Surrender to the situation as there is no other options.  This is who you are, what you are and that is OK.  I run away a lot and now, I am not able to do that.  Where ever I go, I must take me with along for the ride.  It is my hope that though understanding and love and compassion a liberation will be discovered.  I know that I cause my own suffering and that I am responsible and accountable for my actions and non actions.  I have tried (and continue) do deflect my responsibilities on others by either placing my happiness or unhappiness in the hands of others, material things, drugs, etc.  But in the end, when my mind is quite and I have the moments of respect and love for myself... well, all is OK.  HIV or not.  Be kind to yourself and love yourself. 

I don't have many friends and I tend to not stay in a place long enough to make any lasting relationships.  I sometimes resent this, but it is my choice.  Point is, you have to always be your best friend, you must support YOU and you must LOVE you!  Hard to do sometimes when you are against the wall, but it is the truth. 

5/7 SEROCOVERSION
7/7 CD4 669
9/7 CD4 1079 V/L 1200
2/8 CD4 803   V/L 3050
4/8 CD4 805   V/L 2200
9/8 CD4 959   V/L 2418
1/9 CD4 909   V/L 550

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:07:25 am »
"Life's about changes, your job is to learn to cope with them, whether you like them or not."

WOW that sounded very supportive  8). I have done very well with changes I think. I workout 3 x week ,not addicted to illegal drugs, or alcohol ,have my own place actually this is my third place I have bought and sold without help from anyone, work full-time job, gone to school,  treat others well and have done all of this while dealing with homophobia, racism and Hiv. Considering all of this I think I have done quite well with coping with lifes changes.   But I do appreciate the feedback. Actually Im feeling better today. Thanks for the info.  8)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:59:03 am by DCGUY2007 »

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:08:30 am »
I forgot to mention that I  just got back from a urology appt I had today. Everything turned out well. I don't have prostate cancer. I think I was more stressed about this appointment then I thought I was. When I left the office this morning I felt so much better. I have learned in therapy that sometimes what we think is really bothering us turns out to be something else. Hooray for good news  8)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 12:00:42 pm by DCGUY2007 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:38:34 am »
Hi DC,

I used to suffer from mood-swings a lot more than I do now days, and I think it is because I practice meditation on a regular basis for the past few years. It seems to help me keep things in perspective and it also seems to keep me on a more even keel with my moods.

Meditation might be something you could look into. There are plenty of books on the subject and I'm sure there are websites too. Although you might need to pay to learn how to do it (whether by buying a few books or attending some classes) once you know how to do it you can do it anytime, anywhere, and for free as well. One idea is to take some yoga classes as meditation techniques are often taught alongside the yoga postures.

You can do it as much or as little as you like as well. One of the things I like best about meditation is - it's not using drugs to control my moods and there's no side-effects to worry about.

In fact, going to yoga (or similar) classes might help you meet some new friends, and that would surely help too. Isolation isn't good for us at all.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 11:54:00 am »
Ann,

Thanks for suggesting meditation and Yoga. I used to read some books on Buddhism and meditation. I remember reading a book a while ago called "Peace is Every Step". It was actually good. I was even going to sign up for a yoga class. But the class times  conflicted with my schedule. I totally forgot about all of this.  I think I will look into it again. There is a Yoga center here in DC. Thanks for the feedback. Will let you know how it goes  :).

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:58:05 am by DCGUY2007 »

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:45:52 pm »
Re yoga and meditation.....

I'll have to dig more at home, but there are some outstanding yoga podcasts for getting you started.  I use them in the morning at the gym, as opposed to shelling out money for classes.  One of the podcast instructors made a good point in one installment:  your body will tell you when a pose is right.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to have friends who like to go to the mat, too.

Re meditation..... Check out the Mintwood Zendo one Wednesday evening http://www.mintwoodzendo.org/ for a solid community of LGBTQ Buddhists and non-Buddhists who gather for practice and community.  I haven't been in ages, but I keep a personal practice that includes several friends from time to time.  Great ticks to play at the doctor like I did last week.  Fought traffic to get there, then got hustled back to the exam room.  Blood pressure was 155/105 -- the nurse freaked out, and I told her to just leave me alone for a few minutes.  Doc appeared and rook it, 110/70.  A few moments of bliss do wonders!
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 05:20:13 pm »
Glad to hear about your happy prostate result. Having dealt with the same thing I know how that sword hanging over you can really get you down.

It's good to see how many suggestions you've gotten and that they ring the bell with you.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 02:16:06 am »
You are right Andy, makes me realize I worry about hiv so much and forget that it could be something totally different that takes me out.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:21 am »
...and in the meantime until getting to that endplace, hopefully far in the future, I say look for ways to make your life bigger and to have a lot of fun. Every day.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 06:29:12 am »
Great thread!

Hope things are going well for you DC....I notice it's been a few days since Andy posted the last reply.

Didn't even think about yoga podcasts...will be doing an iTunes search immediately on it.

I've noticed the mood swings at work recently too....i've snapped back at people (not that they didn't deserve it  ;)   but it's really unlike me.  I've tried to take stock of life after the AMG, and apply all those good karma points toward a better state of mind.

Hopefully everyone is finding some sense of solace out there in virtualand.

Hugs,
John

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 03:01:38 am »
I still have bad moods too.I have found a solution for this at work though. I bring a gun and set it on my desk so everyone can see it. They all leave me alone now  8). Just teasing.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 10:01:31 am »
John, obviously the AMG experience was something very special and you can't expect that's going to happen easily anywhere else. 

Connectiing with others,, I mean REALLY connecting is such a great experience. It gets you out of the isolation with thoughts and feelings which is all to easy to fall into. Seeking out ways in which you can express yourself with others is key to avoiding that isolation and can make a huge difference when those darker feelings come up. Getting to know others and allowing yourself to be known can make difficult times much more manageable. So it means with some determination on your part to see out those possibilities in your life.

Not easy work but worthwhile is how I see it.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:53:30 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.