Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:03:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 465
Total: 466

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: University of Miami vs FAU  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Dennis

University of Miami vs FAU
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:52:00 pm »
I need some help in making an important decision. I'm finishing up my Associates degree over the summer and have been admitted to the School of Education at two Universities; Florida Atlantic University and the University of Miami.

My first choice, of course, is the University of Miami. I've busted my ass for the past year and a half to achieve such a goal. Their Teaching and Learning curriculum has been ranked #1 in the country by Academic Analytics. The downfalls are the cost and the commute.

University of Miami is a private institution, and as such, the tuition averages almost $35,000 a year. I live in Fort Lauderdale. Therefore, I would be looking at about an hour or more commute each way.

The tuition at Florida Atlantic University is about half that of the University of Miami; $17,000 a year. All of which would be covered by student loans and scholarships. The commute is only 30 mins. They have a good teaching and learning curriculum and is well regarded in the state of Florida, particularly the counties of Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties. I am actually one of the few sophomore students from a community college who was admitted this school year to participate in their program to recruit and retain good teachers. FAU has given me the opportunity to actually teach in a classroom under the supervision of another teacher one day a week (with pay!). This experience is typically reserved for upper classmen.

The curriculum at each is similar for the Exceptional Student Education program. The only difference is the University of Miami offers a double major. The other in Psychology.

My question is...Is the cost and time involved in attending a prestigious University worth it in the end? I guess it's a matter of prestige vs practicality.

Ciao,
Dennis

Offline Robert

Re: University of Miami vs FAU
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:07 am »

The tuition at Florida Atlantic University is about half that of the University of Miami; $17,000 a year.   All of which would be covered by student loans and scholarships....

They have a good teaching and learning curriculum and is well regarded in the state of Florida, particularly the counties of Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties....

FAU has given me the opportunity to actually teach in a classroom
 under the supervision of another teacher one day a week (with pay!). This experience is typically reserved for upper classmen.

The curriculum at each is similar for the Exceptional Student Education program. 

Ciao,
Dennis

My question is...Is the cost and time involved in attending a prestigious University worth it in the end? I guess it's a matter of prestige vs practicality.

It seems simple to me. The answer is NO.  Go with FAU.

ps..... congratulations.  It's great to see you doing so well with school. 

robt
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:48:21 am by Robert »

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:12:45 am »
I agree with Robert.  In my prior life I looked at a lot of resumes and we sometimes had a slight preference for the ivy's but after that it was just "did they have a college degree and what were the grades?" 

Really it is more about what you will get from the programs than about any imprimatur.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Longislander

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »
I don't the answer Dennis, but from reading what you wrote in your post, there seem to be a lot more reasons to go FAU.

Congrats on being accepted , and good luck with whichever you choose~

Paul
(not college educated ;))
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Jody

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 06:30:01 pm »
Hi Dennis...It is good you have choices, FAU seems like a good choice, with the costs picked up and if you can be a standout there then that would be great.  Good luck either way and keep us posted.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:45:14 pm »
Is the cost and time involved in attending a prestigious University worth it in the end?
In some professions and with many companies, it does help going to certain Universities.  Does this apply to the teaching profession?  I would guess not as much, but maybe bouncing the idea across other teachers may give you a clearer picture.  Also would it impact your ability to move up the profession, should you decide to become a part of Administration (Principal, Superintendent, etc..), would be another question to ask.

If your long-term earnings potential is roughly the same, regardless of the institution you attend, I personally would go FAU.  But you need to do what feels right for you.

Also if there is the chance that the added cost and hassle of going to UMiami may cause you to quit (or take a break from) your studies, then I wouldn't take the risk!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:48:37 pm by Cliff »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:20 pm »
doube post

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:35:03 pm »
Also if there is the chance that the added cost and hassle of going to UMiami may cause you to quit (or take a break from) your studies, then I wouldn't take the risk!

good point.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:32:47 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Going into a critical shortage area, along with the networking I've accomplished, attending either school wouldn't make a difference in obtaining a job. Nor will it effect my salary. Salary is based on whatever the unions is able to negotiate. I'm not thinking too much about going into administration at this time. I enjoy my time in the classroom. This may change in the future.

I'm not too concerned with the cost. The majority of my tuition at both schools would be met through student loans, grants, and scholarships. After graduation, the majority of my loans would be paid by the state.

So far I'm leaning towards FAU and then pursuing my M.S.Ed. at the UofM.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 11:05:50 pm »
I myself would go with the cheaper tuition, but I have no idea how all that works.  My folks paid for my education at Texas A&M out of their pocket/our income. I don't know if they didn't plan for it, and God knows I tried to skip Uni.  I like to say for fun that they paid $40,000.00 for my education and I can roll a joint while driving a car, but it's much more that that.

If it's *mostly* paid for, go with whatever you can pay off in proportion to your field.  It's all about the resume.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:38:53 am »
So far I'm leaning towards FAU and then pursuing my M.S.Ed. at the UofM.
Sounds like a good compromise and goal!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 06:52:50 am »
Hi Dennis,

I picked my daughter's brains about your question as she went to UofM for a year as an exchange student from Leicester University in the UK. (btw, she said while UofM is a very good school, it is no better or worse than the education she's received at LU. But keep in mind that LU is also a prestigious institution.)

She thinks FAU would be your better choice as any prospective employer would prefer to see the hands-on experience over prestige. She also suggested you can mention on any future CV that while you were accepted at both universities, you chose FAU for the hands-on opportunites.

While where you go may not affect your eventual salary, it COULD well have an important bearing on where you actually get a job teaching. Having a good CV may also open doors for you into private educational facilities, where salaries can be much higher than in the public sector.

And pursuing your M.s.Ed. at UofM is a very good compromise as well.

Good luck with your studies!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jody

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 03:21:21 pm »
By the way Dennis, where are you standing in your avatar- in the middle of a highway ?  :D

Jody  ;)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Dennis

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:04:10 pm »
I'm standing in the middle of the Paseo de la Reforma in Mexico City. If you look closely you can see El Angel de la Independencia in the background.

Dennis

By the way Dennis, where are you standing in your avatar- in the middle of a highway ?  :D

Jody  ;)

Offline Dennis

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 10:18:20 pm »
Thanks Ann.  Thank your daughter for me, too. 

Very true about UofM being able to open doors to private educational facilities. However, I don't think I would be happy teaching in such an institution.

I'm currently in a Title 1 school. Although extremely challenging, I find the students to be very appreciative and loving. If you're unfamiliar, a Title 1 school is one in which at least 40% of the students live near or at poverty level. The majority qualify for free or reduced lunch. So far it's been a very rewarding experience!

Dennis

...While where you go may not affect your eventual salary, it COULD well have an important bearing on where you actually get a job teaching. Having a good CV may also open doors for you into private educational facilities, where salaries can be much higher than in the public sector...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 06:35:52 am »
You're welcome, Dennis. From the daughter as well.

Funny enough, when I was writing the thing about private educational facilities, my gut was telling me you'd be happier at a Title 1 type school - because yes, it would be more rewarding, challenging too.

Now get back to those books! ;D

Ann
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:38:49 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.