Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:24:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 381
Total: 383

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who Carries Complera To Fill Prescriptions?  (Read 9881 times)

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
Who Carries Complera To Fill Prescriptions?
« on: October 20, 2012, 06:05:47 pm »
For those taking Complera, where do you go to get your prescriptions filled (if not doing it by mail)?

I have been to Walgreens, CVS, Smiths, Walmart, and even called a couple of local specialty pharmacies and none of them carry it.

(EDIT)

Finally found it at Target of all places.  But would still like to hear where others are getting it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:08:54 pm by WindySkies »
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Who Carries Complera To Fill Prescriptions?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:19:15 pm »
This drug was just FDA approved. Why do you think every pharmacy would stock this? In fact, if any particular pharmacy isn't in an area where there even exists many HIV patients (and you didn't bother to even mention where you live) then they may keep very few if any HIV medications in stock. However, all you have to do is present you prescription and any pharmacy should at least order the medication for you, and turn it around in several days. Did not a single of those places you went to offer to order it for you?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:45:02 pm »
I get all my meds at Walgreens. When I first tested positive (I have lived in the same place throughout my infected life) there were sometimes difficulties getting the prescriptions right away. The turnaround was never more than a few days though, even for (at the time) brand new drugs.

I am a little surprised that the pharmacies were not willing to order the meds for you. As inconvenient as HIV can be, driving all over the place finding meds should not be on your list of worries.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:09:49 pm »
they should order it for you, any pharmacy.  i get my meds at CVS, not compleara, but nonetheless they have to order mine when i ask for a refill, they always have it the next day if its during the week.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
If it's an option where you live (I don't know where you are) see if there is an HIV specialty pharmacy you can use. 

I initially used Walgreens but had difficulty with them having the medication on hand and applying my Copay card.  I only used them one month or two before I switched to an HIV pharmacy.  It was just a lot more convenient since they always had the medication in stock and had experience with the Copay cards.  They even filled my medication automatically each month without me having to request it.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:33:36 pm »
This drug was just FDA approved. Why do you think every pharmacy would stock this? In fact, if any particular pharmacy isn't in an area where there even exists many HIV patients (and you didn't bother to even mention where you live) then they may keep very few if any HIV medications in stock. However, all you have to do is present you prescription and any pharmacy should at least order the medication for you, and turn it around in several days. Did not a single of those places you went to offer to order it for you?

So I'm guessing you're not on Complera and can't answer my original question then?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:36:31 pm »
So I'm guessing you're not on Complera and can't answer my original question then?

So I'm guessing you haven't been having HIV meds refilled for 20 years to know that my answer was appropriate?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:38:16 pm »
I get all my meds at Walgreens. When I first tested positive (I have lived in the same place throughout my infected life) there were sometimes difficulties getting the prescriptions right away. The turnaround was never more than a few days though, even for (at the time) brand new drugs.

I am a little surprised that the pharmacies were not willing to order the meds for you. As inconvenient as HIV can be, driving all over the place finding meds should not be on your list of worries.

they should order it for you, any pharmacy.  i get my meds at CVS, not compleara, but nonetheless they have to order mine when i ask for a refill, they always have it the next day if its during the week.

If it's an option where you live (I don't know where you are) see if there is an HIV specialty pharmacy you can use. 

I initially used Walgreens but had difficulty with them having the medication on hand and applying my Copay card.  I only used them one month or two before I switched to an HIV pharmacy.  It was just a lot more convenient since they always had the medication in stock and had experience with the Copay cards.  They even filled my medication automatically each month without me having to request it.

CVS didn't have it in their system so they couldn't order it, same with Walgreens.  Walmart had it listed in their system but they couldn't order it either, the only option was mail order which my RX insurance has already said is not set up for this drug yet.

I did call one of the specialty HIV pharmacies that my doctor recommended and they didn't carry it, or offer to order it.  The other one is closed on weekends.

Target was a lucky find I guess.  I'm in their system now so they will make sure to have it in stock 3-5 days before each refill.

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 07:39:03 pm »
So I'm guessing you haven't been having HIV meds refilled for 20 years to know that my answer was appropriate?

Guess I didn't expect to encounter a rude response with a basic question.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 07:41:46 pm »

Guess I won't answer either since I was going to post basically the same thing.  In the early days, every HIV drug I took required that I go to a pharmacy and ask them to stock it for me.  My sister-in-law is a pharmacy tech in a small town near me and they can get ANY drug within a couple of days.  But since I'm not on this particular drug, I won't post. :o
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 08:22:29 pm »

His answer was pretty straight forward, and it's primarily why you're having difficulty finding a pharmacy that can fill your prescription.   I can understand how frustrating this is, especially since you were just diagnosed. 

With that said, I'm glad you got it all worked out.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline zach

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:44:35 pm »
lol, bound to happen sooner or later.

windy, meet ms p, she truely is a bitter old queen. don't believe her stories of glamour and high society. she makes trashy look classy.  ;D

its time to put on your big boy pants on, you're one of us now. attitude from ms p is like an official welcome.

it was an honest well informed answer. good luck finding a pharmacy that stocks complera, but thats just not the reality we're in.

edited to add... this is a great example of why stockpiling is a good idea. there WILL be times when you're not able to fill your script in a timely fashion.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:48:30 pm by zach »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:12:21 pm »
don't believe her stories of glamour and high society. she makes trashy look classy.  ;D

She ate beanie weanies the other night...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 05:24:27 am »
Sorry, I just called my Walgreens tonight and asked about Complera. They don't have it, but the pharmacist told me she'd certainly find it and stock it if I had a prescription. Lady, I have had first generation meds since 1995 filled there, from fresh off the boat Viracept to the nastiness that was Sustiva.

Maybe you found a bad pharmacy or inept pharmacist?

Thing is, I simply don't buy your story. Call me rude, but I've been hanging around pharmacies too damned long to buy it.

Especially the big chains, which have tendrils everywhere.

Maybe you phoned a bad or inept or lazy pharmacist, but I know for a fact that Walgreens has access to Complera.

But hey, I've only been using them for HIV meds of all varieties since 1998. So I'm probably the douche here making up drama.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 05:36:35 am »
I have to agree with Ms. P. and Jkinatl.  I've been taking meds since 1990, have always used CVS.  If they don't have the HIV med in stock, they order it. 

I work at an ASO, and we have a special insurance we get clients on who are not eligible for anything else (it's called ICHIA).  We tell people to use Walgreen's, since they're most familiar with how to bill it.  Some of our clients are on the newer meds, like Complera, and another one was just prescribed Strilbid.  Walgreen's will stock it if they do not have it already in stock.

I understand your frustration at not being able to find the med, but maybe you didn't ask the right question when asking them if they could order it?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 05:43:21 am »
Lady, I have had first generation meds since 1995 filled there, from fresh off the boat Viracept to the nastiness that was Sustiva.

Windyskies,  stated in his iphone app thread that he was a male
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 05:49:11 am »
Windy,..

I've had very few problems in the past with Walgreens. Once or twice, I had a two day delay in receiving my Epzicom.  Try again and speak with another pharmacist, if you need to,.. get down there in person.

Walgreens served me pretty well through the years. I was very pleased with them, while I was with them.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 05:59:47 am »

Windyskies,  stated in his iphone app thread that he was a male

Apologies for the gender mixup.

*edited to add: Never had it occurred to me to phone in a new script, or trust a doctor to do so without issue. I've gone down to the pharmacy every time and spoken to someone. Even fresh out of the hospital with PCP I sat there at seven AM, during a tornado warning at that, to make sure my shit got done. I felt like unwashed hell, but I knew I needed my meds. I believe that day they actually had someone drive the fancy and hideously expensive liquid medicine across town while I looked like yesterday's sex tissue in the waiting area.

Stuff that matters, matters.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:04:29 am by jkinatl2 »

Welcome Thread

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 08:35:09 pm »
Like I mentioned in the first post I did end up finding it at Target which is actually a good option for me.  I wanted to have a national chain since I travel for work about twice a month and 'in case' I ever got in a jam, I would most likely be near a Target that could get me what I need.  Saving up medication should make this a non-issue, but I'm more comfortable being prepared.

As I also mentioned neither CVS or Walgreens said they could order it for me, I asked both.  And as I mentioned CVS didn't even list it in their system, the CVS I went to kept asking me for the correct spelling because they couldn't find it.  My guess is that their systems aren't completely connected across the country.

I have my first bottle sitting here but haven't opened it yet, probably won't start it until Wednesday or so because I need to go get one more set of complete blood and urine work don't for my doctor and he said not to start the medication until after I did that.  I actually went yesterday to get it done, but he is asking for a TB test, and the clinic only does them after 2pm since they fly out the sample to get the test done, and the lab I went to was only open until 12:00 noon on Saturdays.

Offline zach

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 08:43:57 pm »
are you going to begin taking complera before you've done a resistance profile?

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 10:18:46 pm »
Windy; 

Glad you found a local place to get your script filled.  I am on Complera, get it filled at the local Safeway, and need to call it in each month so they can order it in (which only takes one day).  They explained that it is a less common, expensive drug, that they don't stock.  They also told me that they don't "auto fill" that class of drug - so I need to call in a refill each month.  I think my co-pay card is the first one they have seen too - but we are getting this figured out.

wish you well,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »
are you going to begin taking complera before you've done a resistance profile?

No, that's why I haven't started taking it yet, I went to go get the blood drawn for the tests on Saturday, but they couldn't do the test for TB because it can only be done after 2PM because they have to fly the sample to some other state to do the test.  I guess the sample can only be so old for an accurate test.

I'm going to go tomorrow for all the tests.

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 11:17:44 pm »
Windy; 

Glad you found a local place to get your script filled.  I am on Complera, get it filled at the local Safeway, and need to call it in each month so they can order it in (which only takes one day).  They explained that it is a less common, expensive drug, that they don't stock.  They also told me that they don't "auto fill" that class of drug - so I need to call in a refill each month.  I think my co-pay card is the first one they have seen too - but we are getting this figured out.

wish you well,
JM

Target will actually make sure it's in stock for me 3-5 days before my refill and will email me when that happens, then I can go pick it up.  I don't have to call them.  They also said they can get next day delivery of orders as well.  She also mentioned they have a couple of customers on Complera that fill their prescriptions there as well, so they should always have a good supply.  They were also familiar with the co-pay card so my prescription cost me $0.

The pharmacist wasn't too familiar with the medication either, she had to look it up, but when she gave it to me she explained everything about it including taking it at the same time each day, and with food.  She also explained some of the potential side effects.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:20:06 pm by WindySkies »

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 12:16:19 am »
I would most likely be near a Target that could get me what I need.
HIV medications are usually just very expensive and infected people too scattered for most pharmacies to have HIV meds readily in stock. if you stop at a Target in an area where no HIV person lives that is taking Complera, you might still have to wait several days for that Target to order it in. With less than 1.5 million infected  in America, and much, much less than that on meds, and even less on a newer medication like this, probably most Targets will not have this medication on hand. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 12:47:19 am »
HIV medications are usually just very expensive and infected people too scattered for most pharmacies to have HIV meds readily in stock. if you stop at a Target in an area where no HIV person lives that is taking Complera, you might still have to wait several days for that Target to order it in. With less than 1.5 million infected  in America, and much, much less than that on meds, and even less on a newer medication like this, probably most Targets will not have this medication on hand. ;)

I'm more or less playing the odds, Target can order them in one day.

Offline greg_atl

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 08:43:29 pm »
I just started Complera and I checked at the pharmacy at the grocery store and told me they would have to order and it would be in the next day.  When I got the prescription on  whim I stopped at a CVS here in town and luckily they had it.  Even though it is not a stocked item they should have offered to order it for you.
08-27-12 - Results came in as +
09-24-12 - Earliest Dr appt I could get. 7 Test tubes of blood
10-17-12- 2nd Dr visit.. started on Bactrim & Complara - 1 more blood test
CD4 - 117
CD 4 Helper - 10.6%
V/L - 168,240

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.