Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:10:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 216
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pawsitive Praise  (Read 21240 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Pawsitive Praise
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
Once a week, my ASO, Catawba Care Coalition, opens up a pantry to pass out paper, cleaning and personal hygiene products to it's clients. As a volunteer for my clinic, I work in the pantry a few hours every month, bagging up and passing out these products to the clients who stop in to request them.

So I stopped by my ASO to get the keys, on my way to open the pantry, and got shanghaied by several case workers. Not only did they want to hear all about my adventures down at the ADAP funding cut protest rally in Columbia, SC on Tues; but it seems I was somewhat of a celebrity for appearing in Poz magazine.
My tale of me and my boyz (Joxer, Zeus and Aries- who got cropped out of the picture) is included in an article entitled "Pawsitivity", filled with heartwarming stories of pozzies and their pets - and how our pets have helped keep us alive, happy, and healthier.

God knows it was only because I had a pack of 7 cocker spaniels to care for that I recovered after having PCP, and dealt with the grief of losing my first partner. If I had not had to get out of bed at least once a day to feed the dogs, I probably would have never ventured in the kitchen and gotten any food for myself and would have surely died. Though the first pack has gone now, I continued to keep spaniels from this line. Helping me get through the loss of my second partner and the move from OH back down to SC, are my three boys (the great-great grandsons of my first spaniel), the remaining ones from the second pack after my last little girl passed away just months before my partner died.

I want to says thanks to POZ for letting me have the chance to publically pawsitively praise my dogz once again for all their love and companionship that has been such a huge factor in getting me through the bad times and for keeping me alive.

(leatherman with Joxer, Zeus and Aries)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Pawsitive Praise
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:20:21 pm »
How great that you shared your story on Poz. I have a dog and I also rescue dogs and volunteer at the local shelter. If it were not for my dog I'd be totally lost emotionally. I love it that Poz did the piece on animals and how animals can be such a positive influence on our lives.

A friend of mine recently rescued a cocker spaniel from the shelter (they do their best but it's horrible there). There are also many dogs and cats of all breeds who need homes on on petfinder.com

Offline Boze

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:39:27 pm »
Nice dogs!
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:04:52 pm »
Nice dogs and nice man! 

I really really want a dog but I work long hours and I think it would be cruel.

And happy that you are not incognito, versus me, but I just can't go there yet.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:15:42 pm »
I have a dog and I also rescue dogs and volunteer at the local shelter.
My Mom does did poodle and chihuahua rescues, so when the boyz and me moved into here, it upped the ante to 7 dogs in the house. :o Luckily her dogs are all small and stay on their side of the house, and my cockers have their own yard and doggie door on my side of the house. But oh, you should hear the ruckus when any of the human leave or arrive. Ahwooooooo! Everybody howls and sings! :D

I bred the spaniels for nearly 20 yrs. and always had owners lined up. I donate $10 every two months to the local shelter of wherever I live; but I don't ever go visit. That's so sad and I want to save every one of them; but I can hardly handle me and my own. You are to be commended for the work you do for the poor animals without homes.

Nice dogs!
thanks!
love me, love my dogs! :-*

And happy that you are not incognito
I was hoping :-[ to get on the news reports the other day at the ADAP funding cut protest; but no such luck. The closest they ever came in one picture was a shot towards the podium over the shoulder of the guy with dreds sitting next to me for a while. :D I guess my little rat-tail was just too 80s. ROFLMAO

However I'm hoping the local newspaper for the city (pop 35,000) gets back to me soon, since the local ASO director was trying to set up an interview about the rally. I'm working on my celebrity status :D  Not like this woman just up the road - Union County woman sues over use of her photos in HIV ads
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 04:18:48 pm »
I think that lady has a good case.  Expecting to be in a printed magazine for a certain audience is not the same as being forever plastered all over the Internet.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 04:27:56 pm »
Expecting to be in a printed magazine for a certain audience is not the same as being forever plastered all over the Internet.
yep but once you sign that open-ended agreement, just like we've been talking about being exposed on the internet, I think all bets are off (legally). I guess what we're learning, as the digital age progresses, is that everyone is exposed unless you stay in your home AND off the net. With cameras every where (much less stepping in front of one for money as this lady did) and blogs, your face or info could end up pretty much anywhere.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 04:48:56 pm »
I think you could have a contract for use in print that forbids internet use by the company paying you for the image.  Of course another person could plaster you all over, but that would not be the same. 

For example, if a Hollywood star does and embarrassing but lucrative commercial for Japan, the company is forbidden to use that material in a different format in a different country.  We might be able to sleuth it up on the Internet however, of course.

I don't think this women expected such wide exposure, but it would come down to her contract wether the company is within its rights or not.

Back to the other topic.  Isn't there any kind of dog that would be happy with 8 hour stretches inside? I asked around here and they all told me - really impossible, not nice at all to any dog.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:41:58 pm »

Back to the other topic.  Isn't there any kind of dog that would be happy with 8 hour stretches inside? I asked around here and they all told me - really impossible, not nice at all to any dog.

In general it's not a good idea but it depends. What a lot of people do in bigger cities, for example, is hire a dog walker who can come in the middle of the day and walk the dog.

There are also lots of doggie day care centers becoming more popular where people can leave their dogs interacting all day with other dogs while they are at work. They even have cameras set up so people can log in and check up on their dogs in real time.

Dogs are pack animals so spending 8+ hours alone is not good for most dogs. In that kind of situation it's sometimes better to get two dogs who can keep each other company.

Dogs like routine so if you had two dogs who could keep each other company all day that could work, as long as they knew you were coming home at a specific time, they can get used to they're routine and be fine. Of course, you'd have to make sure to take them out for good walks or runs before and after work. If you have a house with a yard, it's possible to put in a dog door so that they can go outside if necessary.

Some dogs need more exercise than others. Another option is to adopt a couple of senior dogs, who can be very loving and are way past the puppy phase so they don't need as much activity.

Is the situation with animals (especially dogs and cats) as bad in Europe as it is in the US? What I mean is, it's much better to adopt a dog from a rescue organization or a local shelter as opposed to buying a dog online or going through a breeder. Yes, there are some responsible breeders out there but there are many irresponsible ones who claim to be responsible and are just adding to the overpopulation and suffering of animals. And as far as pet shops go, fuggedaboutit, those poor dogs are all from puppy mills, very sad.

If you do get a dog it's important to get them spayed or neutered. Not only does this prevent unwanted pregnancies but it really tends to calm the animal down overall.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:15:42 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:40:17 pm »
I wouldnt be away every day for 8 hours.
I was given the same advice you just gave me. But so many thanks for suggestions of work arounds - like a dog walker and 2 dogs.

Here in Switzerland you are practically required to get two cats, now, instead of one. Not sure of dogs.  But yeah, there is sense that its important to adopt.  But also people are snobs, so many people have money, so pure breds are highly popular.  Maybe adobt a purebred!
I spend my weekends with magnificent purebreds on a farm. Incredible dogs.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 07:02:16 pm »
 Maybe adobt a purebred!

Here there are many breed-specific rescue groups and on www.petfinder.com you can search by breed so it's not difficult top adopt a pure breed. Even local shelters get pure breed dogs.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:13:11 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 07:31:48 pm »
it's much better to adopt a dog from a rescue organization or a local shelter as opposed to buying a dog online or going through a breeder. Yes, there are some responsible breeders out there but there are many irresponsible ones who claim to be responsible and are just adding to the overpopulation and suffering of animals.
excellent advice. unless you just have to have a specific purebred - and why if you're not going to show or breed them - there are plenty of dogs already needing a home without having to determine how responsible a breeder is that you might potentially buy from.

two dogs or any older dog is also good advice for pets that might be left alone a long time. Personally I think too many people worry about being away during the day. By that I mean, look at how many employeed people own dogs. Think of all those dogs doing just fine alone for their owners full-time hours (plus travel hours too) away from home. A puppy just has to be trained (crate, confined to one room, a doggie door) to learn the pattern of your life and to fit in.

They even have cameras set up so people can log in and check up on their dogs in real time.
if you're having separation anxiety, you can use a webcam set up on your home computer to keep tabs on your pet.

these webcam pictures are from after I first got Aries and Zeus and brought them home to live with Joxer and Gabby. I put the puppies into the crate while I was off at work during the day and used to sit at my desk for hours watching them.

oh I should also mention that my dogz even have their own website!
"Tails of the Pack" at http://reigningpages.com/puppies

It's "Puppy Love"

The Second Pack - Joxer, Aries, Zeus, Gabrielle
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline peteb

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 07:46:47 pm »
nice looking dogs thanks for sharing your story

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 08:15:10 pm »
Thanks Pete! ;)

by the way, hello there! ;D
Sad to know why you're here; but glad you found us. Hope you're hanging in there okay. ;) The first few couple months are pretty hard, especially when you find out by being sick in a hospital and having to immediately go onto meds. Not only do you have the sickness to get over; but side effects and adjustment to the meds to get through. Hopefully you're starting to feel better now that you're numbers are getting better.  ;) best wishes to you!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 11:28:16 pm »
Were you the center-fold   ;)

Seriously, how much is a subscription to POZ?

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 01:19:45 am »
Poz is free in Vallejo and offered at clinics and at HIV therapy meeting places.

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 01:21:06 am »
nice dogs I am getting at least one in June and I am so excited...I have everyhting but the dog.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 10:23:10 am »
Were you the center-fold   ;)
I was hoping ;), but being a smaller sized mag, they said the nude photo I sent in wouldn't fit. :D ROFL
So they had to go with the smaller pix of me and the dogs
(but they still even cropped that one and left out one of the dogs. ::) )

I am getting at least one in June and I am so excited
Dogs are the best. ;D

Though not a cat-person I used to have one of those too. (My first partner and I owned a pet store for about 5 yrs and so we had a menagerie of pets over the years) Well, she was more Randy's cat; but when he passed away, Sheagra became mine. He couldn't leave me $$$ to inherit; but could leave an animal that I'm slightly allergic too. LOL

For a while too, I thought she might make it into the Guinness's Book of world records. (the oldest cat on record is 26 yrs old) She not only outlived Randy, but all 7 dogs from the first pack. Having been as sick as I had been a couple of times, I thought she'd outlive me too. It seemed like she was going to outlive us all. However, just shy of turning 20, she quickly and quietly passed away one weekend, leaving me with just the 4 cockers of the second pack.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:40:40 am »
My English bulldog Zita saved my life . If not for her I would not have made it through a tough time about 8 years ago .

She doesn't know she is spoiled , I think she has had it so good all her life she feels entitled . She has steps to get into my sleigh bed and a bed on my bed . She has another bed on the floor in the bedroom and another in the living room .

Yesterday I went to home depot and bought wood and turned legs and made her a platform bed for our outside screen room  . She has a pet door to get out there and has her own fan hooked to a motion detector out there for warm days .

I love my bulldog !!!    
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:42:56 am by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 11:15:06 am »
She has a pet door to get out there and has her own fan hooked to a motion detector out there for warm days .  
that's awesome!

I just read that to the boyz, and now, as if having a 20-ft covered deck for them to use to keep their precious paws dry in the rain weren't enough, they say I have to install one of these motion-detector fan systems for them too. ::)  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 11:23:17 am »
that's awesome!

I just read that to the boyz, and now, as if having a 20-ft covered deck for them to use to keep their precious paws dry in the rain weren't enough, they say I have to install one of these motion-detector fan systems for them too. ::)  :D

The fan is low tech bud ... just a motion detector with a female adapter screwed in to plug a fan into . 15 bucks and my dog is coool  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:06 pm »
I know this is a very old thread; but I have sad news about one of my dogs.

(this is me, Joxer, Zeus and Aries right after we moved back to SC in 10/2009)

Last night Joxer had a serious stroke. I spent the night lying on the floor with Joxer helping him to feel calmed and loved, and can thankfully say that he did not suffer with any pain. This morning I took him to the vet and must sadly say that Joxer has passed on.

Of the 11 cockers of this same family line that I have since Randy got Appollonia for me back in 1984, I had Joxie with me the longest as he was 15 yrs old. He outlived his great-Grandmother (Apple) who was 14 when she passed away.

Now the large family I used to have (at one time it was Randy and I with 7 spaniels and at another time it was Jim and I with 4 spaniels and 6 cats) is down to me, Aries and Zeus (who, as litter mates, are both 13 and have health issues).

RIP Joxer :-*
http://reigningpages.com/puppies/joxer.htm
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 09:14:41 pm »
Mike , Im sorry for your loss . Its not enough to say Im sorry you lost a pet , its like loosing family isn't it . I know you love all them with all your heart , and my heart goes out to you tonight .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 09:40:27 pm »
My condolences.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Cojo

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:04 pm »
Condolences Mike, they really are man's best friend.
May 2011 - Tested Positive
June 2011 - CD4 330   16%   VL182,000 no resistance
Oct 6, 2011 - CD4 300  20%  VL 60,000
Oct 7, 2011 - start Truvada / Isentress
Nov 29, 2011 CD4 280 26% VL 54
Feb 7 2012 CD4 260 25% UD!
Mar 20 2012 CD4 400 28%
June 2012 CD4 330 26% UD
Sept 2012 CD4 450 32% UD
Dec 2012 CD4 310 28% UD
May 2013 CD4 500 32% UD
Oct 2013 CD4 460 33% UD
May 2014 CD4 360 33% UD
Aug 2014 swap out Isentress for Tivicay
Oct 2014 CD4 320 33% UD
Feb 2015 CD4 420 30% UD
Jul 2015 CD4 480 32% VL51 !!
Sep 2015 UD
Feb 2016 CD4 460 35% UD
Aug 2016 CD4 378 33% UD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 10:01:18 pm »
I'm very sorry, Mike.  That is so rough.   :'(
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 10:07:43 pm »
My condolences, Mike   :-\
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 05:39:59 am »
Sorry for your loss, Mike.  It's so soul wrenching to lose a pet.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 08:29:47 am »
It's a heavy burden on the heart.  So sorry buddy.  Many of us completely understand your pain and emphasize.

I also recognize how our pets play a role in remembering more pleasant times with loved ones. 

I'm sure you loved and cuddled with your other children last night.  They are probably grieving also.

Take care and luvs.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 09:18:45 am »
Sorry for your loss, Mike. It's so hard to lose a furbaby. They're often more like family than our human families. You have my sincere condolences. ((((((Mike))))))
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 10:26:52 am »
Sorry about your loss.  It's terrible to lose a member of the family.   :(
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline buginme2

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 12:15:04 pm »
Sorry about your loss.  Take care of yoursef.  I'm writing this as my dog is trying to navigate a bone and the cat is looking down on him.  Pets add so much to our lives.  Take care.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 01:13:22 pm »
sorry  about your loss  very hard to lose  a loved one..

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »
Leatherman: 

I hope your warm memories help carry you through the difficult time. 

My condolences,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 08:39:52 pm »
Thank you so much everyone for your support.
I haven't cried this hard in a long time and forgot how much sadness death brings and how much grief hurts. :-X

I'm sure you loved and cuddled with your other children last night.  They are probably grieving also.
When any one of my kids have passed away (and there have been quite a few now as all 7 in the first pack have been gone a while and now 2 of the 4 in the second pack are gone), I've always brought them home to bury them. Just before the interment, I have allowed the surviving dogs to see and smell the body. Now maybe I am anthropomorphizing a bit too much, but I swear I've always been able to tell from their demeanor and the look in their eyes, that the remaining dogs understand and miss their departed family member. (Aries did a double take looking at me with the saddest eyes ever while Zeus flopped down cradling his head between his paws)

I remember back when Triumph (the last of the first pack) passed away and I only had two dogs (Gabby and the recently departed Joxie) for a short while. I was amazed at how quiet a house could be with only 2 dogs. Since for about 7 years, I had dealt with not only losing Randy, but also with having teh aids and having SEVEN dogs; yes, having only two dogs seemed very odd and just too quiet in the house. And that's why I got two litter mates at the same time and ended up having pack #2.

I found myself looking up to the new grave on the hillside all day (it was too cold and icy today to physically go stand by the grave). Several times, I thought I saw Joxie out of the corner of my eye moving throughout the house. Last night, I don't think it was just the cold, that had the boyz all cuddled up to me (they cuddle some but not as much as they were doing last night). Today the boys (both Aries and Zeus have serious health issues and are pretty old themselves at 13) have been lying on either side of my chair or following me around the house, which surprises me just a bit as they seem just a little bit unnerved that I've been hugging them so much more today than usual. I guess we're all just trying to make sure that we're all still here and aren't missing anyone else today.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Since2005

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 09:47:20 pm »
 I am sorry about your loss. Thanks for sharing your story.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 03:46:06 am »
I am so sorry to hear about Joxer.  They are our children and best friends.  I know how difficult this is. 

Our first dog passed a year ago Christmas.  She was 16.  She had bad hip problems and we had to carry her out to use the bathroom.  But, she was still happy and loved to eat.  She began having problems one night.  Our other dog wouldn't leave her side.  I stayed up with her all night and was going to take her to the vet when they opened.  They opened at 8am.  Brian already left for work.  She got worse and I had to call him back home.  We rushed her to the vet.  She died as we were pulling into the vet.  I will never forget how her head flew back as we picked her up out of the car.  We rushed her in and the vet tried to revive her.  The vet said it was probably bloat, where the stomach flips, due to gas.  Man, I have never cried so hard.  She was my best friend.  She went everywhere with us.  Even though 16 was very old, I couldn't help thinking she died from trapped gas.  From what I was told, it would have required major surgery to turn the stomach back, and many die anyway. 

Our other dog has never been the same.  The role of alpha dog was now on her shoulders.  It's not a role she wants.  She now barks at every noise.  She is always on edge.  I truly believe she still mourns her older sister.  I mourn her.  I always think how she would have enjoyed the trip to the park, or a ride to grandma's.  I miss her deeply.  I am sharing a pic of her urn.  I hope it doesn't seem like I am pulling focus from Joxer. I think he would appreciate a fellow dog lover. 

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 03:56:05 am »
Thank you so much everyone for your support.
I haven't cried this hard in a long time and forgot how much sadness death brings and how much grief hurts. :-X
When any one of my kids have passed away (and there have been quite a few now as all 7 in the first pack have been gone a while and now 2 of the 4 in the second pack are gone), I've always brought them home to bury them. Just before the interment, I have allowed the surviving dogs to see and smell the body. Now maybe I am anthropomorphizing a bit too much, but I swear I've always been able to tell from their demeanor and the look in their eyes, that the remaining dogs understand and miss their departed family member. (Aries did a double take looking at me with the saddest eyes ever while Zeus flopped down cradling his head between his paws)

I remember back when Triumph (the last of the first pack) passed away and I only had two dogs (Gabby and the recently departed Joxie) for a short while. I was amazed at how quiet a house could be with only 2 dogs. Since for about 7 years, I had dealt with not only losing Randy, but also with having teh aids and having SEVEN dogs; yes, having only two dogs seemed very odd and just too quiet in the house. And that's why I got two litter mates at the same time and ended up having pack #2.

I found myself looking up to the new grave on the hillside all day (it was too cold and icy today to physically go stand by the grave). Several times, I thought I saw Joxie out of the corner of my eye moving throughout the house. Last night, I don't think it was just the cold, that had the boyz all cuddled up to me (they cuddle some but not as much as they were doing last night). Today the boys (both Aries and Zeus have serious health issues and are pretty old themselves at 13) have been lying on either side of my chair or following me around the house, which surprises me just a bit as they seem just a little bit unnerved that I've been hugging them so much more today than usual. I guess we're all just trying to make sure that we're all still here and aren't missing anyone else today.

One...big...long...hug...

I am so sorry for your loss,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 06:26:10 am »
Mike....

My condolences on the loss of Joxer.  :'(

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline ds4146

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 07:37:14 am »
Mike, so very sorry to hear about your loss!

One of the hardest experiences to go through. Be good to yourself!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 08:17:12 pm »
I hope it doesn't seem like I am pulling focus from Joxer. I think he would appreciate a fellow dog lover. 
thanks for sharing that.

So many people who have pets can empathize and sympathize. Many people seem slightly ashamed and say that our pets are "like" our children; but there's no need to hide grief behind a euphemism. Our pets ARE family. Maybe not children per se; but often they are in a similar role because of the care we need to provide for them. We talk to and with them; they are by our sides often; we worry about their unspoken problems; we worry about them when we are away; and we mourn their loss.

My head still hurts today and I feel "weird" - kinda like there's a hole in me. With the sun out and the sleet/ice melted, I went up the little hill to visit Joxie's grave for a little while. I noticed today that although Joxie was older he was the most active of my dogs, so daily life in the house is a lot quieter.

Instead of "being good to myself", I kept really active doing things. I helped get rid of some of the quietness in the house by working on finishing laying new flooring in the hallway to go with the den and my bedroom that have been my projects in the last two weeks. I only had two dogs watching over my shoulder and walking through the debris today. :( I have a little bit of trimming left to do now after a lot of hammering, sawing, and banging today.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2013, 11:16:03 pm »

Mikey, sorry to hear about the loss of Joxer....  I know it's difficult losing a long time companion.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »
Mikie,
Sorry to hear about Joxer. :'(
We lost our oldest (15 years+) last April.
Still is painful thinking of the loss but we keep reminding each other of the joy and laughter.
Stay busy if it works for you.
(That is exactly what I did)

A story about the loss of our dog:
The local theater was putting on the play "Mame" at the time.
A 10 year old boy (actor) (Lucas) had met our dog a few times before he died.
He was a cutie and his family were truely amazing.
I spent much of the spring outside in the back yard and got to know them all well.
When he was told (by his mom) about our dog, he recruited the other 10 year old in making a memorial plaque for his grave.
(this kid was too much... he has a tiara collection already)
Anyway, they bought a kit from a craft store and poured cement in a mold.
The kit also had broken pieces of colored glass in it.
They picked out the red pieces of glass to press into the cement in the shape of a heart.
They wrote our dogs name with their finger and also "drew" a paw print.
The other muticolored glass was used for the border.
Lucas told his mom that he wanted to attend the funeral.(i found out later)
He came knocking on the door with such concern on his face and presented me with this gift.
I broke down in tears.
I will never forget this as long as I live.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:36:08 pm by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 08:50:48 pm »
Stay busy if it works for you.
staying active is one of the best, and easiest, ways to combat depression and grief. I've finished up the new flooring in the house and will have to find something else to do now.

He came knocking on the door with such concern on his face and presented me with this gift.
what an incredibly great story and what an awesome kid :-*
thank you for sharing
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 05:08:15 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, I know how hard it is to lose a pet that has become so much a part of your family, I dread the day I have to say goodbye to one of mine.

In sadness
Jan :'(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:51 am »
I am a hopeless mess when one of my guys dies. It is nothing short of awful.

I have deep sympathy for you and your furry family. We might have differences, you and I, but any man who takes on a four legged companion has got to be a decent guy in my book. It takes a lot of guts to love a creature that you know you will outlive.

You give that love because what you get back it worth it. Worth even the hardest parts of it. Your dog was lucky to have had you, and you wee lucky to have had that love.

Stay strong, and please continue to love. It's really all we have.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 01:29:23 am »
Adorable. It must be great to have so many and for them to have each other! :)

I know what you mean about being a mess. My first puppy died of cancer and my second one lives with people more capable of taking care of him. Like tednolou2, though I don't mean to take focus away, probably just trying to relate to someone on something, sorry it happens to be morbid.

I think a dog is just about the best thing that can happen to a person, and I miss mine so much I'm having trouble typing out this sentence. It doesn't seem to get better with time, unfortunately.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 01:36:51 am »
Ugh, my tone was completely off, there. I saw your first post, then everyone else's. I didn't realize what your update was about. I'm really sorry. I meant that time doesn't seem to make it better for me, but I'm in a different circumstance. It seems like you have things under control in genera. :) Good luck.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 01:51:45 am »
Worth even the hardest parts of it.
even though I terribly miss Randy, Appollonia, Elektra, LBB, EightBall, Hershey, Triumph, Sheagra, Jim, Gabrielle, and Joxer I wouldn't trade anything for the love I had with them, for them and from them. Having them for that short time each (heck a couple of the dogs outlasted the time I got with my partners) was so worth it that if the price I have to pay is losing them then I'm happy to pay that price in exchange for that kind of love. That's so hard to say too because I'd nearly give anything to have any of them (dog, cat or lover) back. If I hadn't been so loved though I would have already given  up on this existence; but it's my memories of them that keeps me going through the roughest of times living without them all of these years. How I can give up now after the love of two great men and the faith my animals put in me to care for them all these years?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 01:58:10 am »
my goodness! That sure was some PTSD and survivor's guilt all mashed up talking just then, wasn't it?  ::)

But it is all true about how much love I'm been so lucky to have all these years. I just wish I had had more time with each of them - and I wish I hadn't had the responsibilities at the end. I am ever so tired of going to the vet one last trip or having hospice set up a hospital bed in my home. But I guess someone has to do it. sigh.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.