Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:15:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 254
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 13596 times)

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
Insomnia
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:38:51 pm »
Hey Community

I been going through a serious issue when it's time to go to sleep, I can't go to sleep (Insomnia) after a long day of work and school.

I stay up all night and go to sleep around 3am, does anyone go through the same thing?

Aside from medication, what are some suggestions to help me with this problem?
AIDS ISN'T OVER UNTIL IT's OVER FOR EVERYONE!
www.myspace.com/johnnyguaylupo

Offline Eldon

Re: Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:52:13 pm »
Supporting You

Hey Johnny...

There are a number of causes that can induce Insomnia. One of the major causes is with Stress, Anxiety, and Depression. When your anxiety levels are a bit high, it is often difficult to go to sleep. In the past, I have even experienced this. After I got a hold of the anxiety issue, I began to sleep like a baby.

Medications can, may, or will have a bearing on this just as well as the consumption of Alcohol and others. You may want to review what you are doing during the course of a day and reflect this information back to your Doctor to work on finding a workable solution for you.

BTW -Welcome!

Take care of YOU!

"Don't Give Up, Don't Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 09:54:01 pm »
Hey

Thank you for the advice and the welcome!

I was actually away from the site for a while..but I'm BACK!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 09:59:41 pm »
I have been experiencing that problem for years.  I have been on all the meds invented at the time so, I couldn't nail it down to one of them.  I thought for awhile it was one of those "after dead" things like in the movies (vampires, wolfman, etc., etc..

I can go to bed at midnight and still be wide awake at sunrise.  I sleep very soundly from about 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM almost every day and sometimes take a nap during the day.  Doctor has offered sleeping tablets but Sustiva, Trizivir have warning labels saying "may cause drowsiness" and Requip says not to operate machinery or drive a vehicle while on this medication.  Short of sleeping in the car or while operating a jack hammer, I sleep when I can.  Have the best day
Michael  

Offline Longislander

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 10:00:36 pm »
Hey Johnny, welcome back. My guess is you can't sleep because you're spending too much time thinking about sex. ;)
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 10:02:39 pm »
Hey

Well I was thinking to myself if that was the reason why I can't sleep ...

I think about sex all the time..but I shouldn't I get sleepy and just forget the thought of sex..

I'm not sure if it's sex of something else

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 11:23:26 pm »
Have you tried yoga or meditation?

I've had insomnia for 20+ years. I need my damn sleep meds.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 11:27:32 pm »
Here's a holistic trick that works for some people:

Wash your feet then wear socks to bed. In trying this you really have nothing to lose - and clean feet to gain  :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 11:38:57 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 11:35:57 pm »
Hey J.

I'm in the same boat as you.  Often in bed at 11pm and still laying there awake at 3am.  I've found if I get up, and go sit in front of the computer and surf for about 15 mins and go back to bed, it usually does the trick.  Warm milk sometimes (not always) helps also.  Warm milk contains chemicals that help induce sleep.

Another thing that works is.. umm.. having a wank, I sleep like a baby after that. ;)

Cheers
Matt

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 11:51:21 pm »
I wish the wanking, hot bath, milk solutions worked for me. Alas, they don't.  :(
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 12:14:08 am »
A wank?

Offline Eldon

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 08:52:19 pm »
Yes, I AM Supporting You

Hey Johnny...

Wank = Masturbation.

Enjoy your Holiday Season.

"Don't You Dare Give Up, Don't You Dare Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

Offline marco23

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 08:58:52 pm »
Yeah,
have more sex....that'll wear you out.
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 10:16:35 pm »
I used to take a dose of trazadone, 2 sleep aids off the supermarket shelf, and then chase it down with a glass of wine.

Hmmmmm.....I did sleep but I had a dam hard time getting up in the morning!  LOL
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 12:41:26 am »
Yea well I tried the tylenol PM and some wine and it works but it's not good for you health and YES it's hard to get up.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 01:06:50 am »
I wish I could go to bed at a decent hour. I am up every night til about 3 am, sometimes later then I sleep til around 2 pm. I told my doctor about it and he prescribed me a week's worth of Ambien which helped for the week but am back to the nocturnal schedule. I thought about over the counter stuff because I don't want anything too strong. The Elavil for my neuropathy was working at first but not now. I'm open for suggestions too.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 12:56:45 am »
Commnity,

This is affecting my job, coming to work late.

I can't continue this!!!!!!!!! >:(

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 05:59:36 am »
I have this on and off, mainly on just now

You should get a physical, especially thyroid function, to see if anything's upsetting your sleep pattern. However, often, often, mysterious in cause.

What worked for me: a swim every evening, even a short one, er, yes, hot milk with honey in. Sometimes I hit the valerian tea (a kinda herbal valium).

Re: medication, a short course to kick you into a normal sleeping pattern may help (but then again, can be difficult to wake up in time for work on these...).

A friend of mine swears by melatonin for his non-sleeping, but then he flies a lot, professionally, in the skies, and recreationally, on the ground. Hmm.

- matt

Now playing: Co-Deez, Between the Lines
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 08:16:07 am »

A friend of mine swears by melatonin for his non-sleeping, but then he flies a lot, professionally, in the skies, and recreationally, on the ground. Hmm.

- matt

Now playing: Co-Deez, Between the Lines

I have also used melatonin, and found that it works very well. That was before I had started on meds though.

Melotonin worked very fast, usually within 30 minutes of taking it. I don't believe HIV meds and melotonin would be a problem. But I have never had to use it again. 

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline rick21007

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 09:49:05 am »
You might see a doctor about this but I'd be leary about taking something that is habit forming which a lot of sleep meds are and a lot of docs are pretty nonchalant about prescribing them unfortunately.  Somebody mentioned trazadone which is safe in that regard, although it was prescribed to me once and it just wired me.

Going to bed horny definitely does not help falling to sleep.  Wanking used to help me for about 30"  but if i didn't fall asleep in that time it didn't help.

What's your caffeine intake--U use energy drinks during the day, much coffee or soda's?  That could definitely be a problem if U do.

Anyway, good luck.   Rick

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 08:13:19 am »

For occasional insomnia (which I define for myself as an hour of not being able to fall asleep) I take 2.5 mg. Valium (Diazepam) which will allow me to fall asleep in about thirty minutes.

I realize some people have a hang-up or bias against taking such medications.  But to me...heck...if it works...what's the problem?  Taking a Valium two or three times a week isn't going to be addictive to most people.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline rick21007

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 11:24:10 am »
Hi Gary---only problem with valium and other meds in it's category is that over time you will build a tolerance to them so it takes more to get the same effect.  They work best as a short term solution.   If you don't take it on a regular basis you may not experience this effect or it is delayed.   I was on clozapepam (same medication family) for over a year for sleep.  Worked great for me and never had a drug hangover in the morning, but experienced a rebound effect when I decided to go off it.  Valium especially you need to taper if you have been on it for a while otherwise the withdrawal ain't pleasant.  My biggest issue was that I found I didn't _believe_ I could get a good night's sleep without _something_.  But then I can be very clever about mind-fucking myself at times.

Another solution to the sleep problem in addition to the over-the-counter naturopathic ones already mentioned would be to make an appt. with a naturopathic physician.  I swear by mine (I went to her when I was really suffering with acute hep.b last year and I not only got symptom relief but I ended up kicking it and not going chronic, even though I later found out I was hiv at the same time.)

Rick

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 02:54:58 pm »
Johnny,

I harp on this more than Carrie Nation did about liquor but many studies have shown HIV by itself can disrupt normal sleep patterns.  People with HIV-affected sleep problems have trouble getting to sleep and the types of sleep (there are 4 - 5 types depending on whose definition) they cycle through are not normal.  The bottom line is each of us needs a certain amount of "deep sleep" to feel refreshed after waking up.  You can sleep for 12 hours but if you didn't get enough deep sleep you'd still feel tired.  It's so ironic that HIV has this effect since long term sleep-deprivation decreases immune strength, almost as if HIV was deliberately trying to make its job easier.

Although rick is right that many prescription sleep aids are habit-forming I say it's better to be a well-rested addict than sleep-deprived.  I've been taking klonopin for over 10 years and take 4 - 6 mg. a night.  I have become quite tolerant of this dose and may ask my doc about increasing it.  I also formerly took Triavil, a tranquilizer and mood elevator, but had to stop because of long-term side effects.  I currently take Elavil instead of Triavil but it doesn't have the calming effects of the latter.  My doc has prescribed Trazadone but it made me feel like shit and recently I tried Tegretol with similar unpleasant effects.

You can surely try some of the other suggestions offered but if you still have problems sleeping talk to your doctor about pharmaceutical options.   I recently read that benzodiazapenes (valium, klonopin, xanax, etc.) interfere with deep sleep but if that's the case I must be immune to the problem...

Good luck, sleep well!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 07:32:13 pm »
Boo, wow, 4 to 6 mg of clonazepam is quite a lot; that would knock me out for 36 hours at least. That having been said, I always get angry with doctors who are myopically benzo-phobic. (I've posted about that on the forums.)

What I currently take is a very low dose of Seroquel. In doses of 600 mg and above it's used as an antipsychotic.  :o But my dose is 25 mg. A lot of shrinks are baffled that the company hasn't marketed it at a low-dose as a rival to Ambien and Lunesta. Works like a charm.

Stopped taling Ambien for two reasons: the 30-minute memory wipeout side-effect, and the fact that I developed tolerance and needed higher and higher doses.

I've had insomnia for a LONG time. I'm resigned to better living (and sleeping) through chemistry.

Jay

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 08:05:57 pm »
JOHNNY....
YOU DID NOT MENTION WHAT MEDS (IF ANY) YOU ARE TAKING.....IF YOU ARE TAKING SUSTIVA AT NIGHT IT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF YOUR INSOMNIA.   SUSTIVA DID NOT BOTHER ME FOR 6 MONTHS BUT THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED AND I COULD NOT SLEEP WELL AT ALL.   INSTEAD OF TAKING 1 DOSE OF SUSTIVA (600mg) IN THE MORNING I TAKE 3 DOSES OF 200mg....ONE WHEN I GET UP (5-6AM), THE NEXT ONE AROUND 9AM AND THE FINAL ONE BY NOON.   THIS WAY IT GETS INTO MY SYSTEM AND DOES NOT AFFECT MY SLEEP AT NIGHT.   JUST A THOUGHT....

BY THE WAY....GREAT MYSPACE WEBSITE!.....YOU DO AMAZING THINGS!! THANK YOU!!  :-*

BE WELL...
CRAIG

PS....IF TYLENOL PM WORKED FOR YOU THEN LOOK AT THE ACTIVE SLEEP INGREDIENT IN THAT...MIGHT BE DIPHENHYDRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE (HCL).....AND FIND AN OVER-THE-COUNTER SLEEP MED WITH THE SAME ACTIVE INGREDIENT.....THAT WAY YOU ONLY TAKE THE MEDICATION THAT WORKS AND NO TYLENOL ITSELF.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 08:14:11 pm by mrtallguy »
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline Webbie

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 08:54:14 pm »
Saturday, 06 January, 2007
19:44:17
I to have this problem and have had for a very long time, more then 2 years.

I tried many different things with no results at all. So the way I handle it now is to just make the best of it.

I schedule myself for 20 hour days and use self hypnosis every night to get 3 hours sleep most nights. I know it is not a solution but it works for me.

Every 10 days or so I do hit a crash point and do sleep for 5 to 8 hours.

I strongly recommend hypnosis as with out it I end up going days with out sleep.

Regards,

Webbie

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 04:07:07 am »
JOHNNY....
YOU DID NOT MENTION WHAT MEDS (IF ANY) YOU ARE TAKING.....IF YOU ARE TAKING SUSTIVA AT NIGHT IT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF YOUR INSOMNIA.   SUSTIVA DID NOT BOTHER ME FOR 6 MONTHS BUT THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED AND I COULD NOT SLEEP WELL AT ALL.   INSTEAD OF TAKING 1 DOSE OF SUSTIVA (600mg) IN THE MORNING I TAKE 3 DOSES OF 200mg....ONE WHEN I GET UP (5-6AM), THE NEXT ONE AROUND 9AM AND THE FINAL ONE BY NOON.   THIS WAY IT GETS INTO MY SYSTEM AND DOES NOT AFFECT MY SLEEP AT NIGHT.   JUST A THOUGHT....

BY THE WAY....GREAT MYSPACE WEBSITE!.....YOU DO AMAZING THINGS!! THANK YOU!!  :-*

BE WELL...
CRAIG

PS....IF TYLENOL PM WORKED FOR YOU THEN LOOK AT THE ACTIVE SLEEP INGREDIENT IN THAT...MIGHT BE DIPHENHYDRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE (HCL).....AND FIND AN OVER-THE-COUNTER SLEEP MED WITH THE SAME ACTIVE INGREDIENT.....THAT WAY YOU ONLY TAKE THE MEDICATION THAT WORKS AND NO TYLENOL ITSELF.

I'm taking Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 07:29:13 pm »
one factor that all chronic diseases share, is they all upset the body's sleep pattern, I'm not talking about medications, im talking any disease that chronically progresses. Once the sleep pattern is jumbled, ya find yourself, fatigued, when normally ya wouldnt be, and awake,when normally you'd be asleep. Pile medications on this, it becomes a crap shoot.

They got me on amitriptyline, and it does me good...i still wake up often, and sometimes dont sleep long, however, when i sleep now, i actually rest.
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 12:19:37 am »
Amitriptyline (aka Elavil) works great for me...it made me quite groggy in the AM but now that I take my Sustiva in the AM it gets rid of the groggy effects of the Elavil. 

Jay...I made notes when you made the intitial post about the seroquel and my doc is going to sub that for the ambien....so we'll see how that works!

Taking my sustiva in the morning helps mysleep much better....I now take 400mg when I get up and 200mg a few nours later....sleeping much better now...
Be Well

Craig
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:21:47 am by mrtallguy »
--ACIM

Offline edfu

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 02:03:35 am »
Jay and Craig,

I, too, have an extreme sleep disorder.  When the Ambien stopped working after 3 years, my psychiatrist put me on Seroquel as well.  It takes a lot of these drugs to work for me, and I'm on 100 mg. Amazing stuff.  If I don't set alarms, it lets me sleep for 12 hours at a time. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 02:28:04 am »
Craig and edfu... glad there are other psychiatrists willing to prescribe Seroquel for insomnia; mine seemed to indicate that she was pretty "advanced." Apparently not. But it's all good if it works, and without those dreadful hangover effects. Occasionally I'll go up to 37.5 but not higher than that. I'm afraid of a dose-escalation "war" in my body again.

Jay

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 03:29:02 pm »
 ;D i see my doctor in about 2 hours to see what can be done with my Atripla induced sleep problems. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that ADAP will cover something but at this point if they don't i'd glady pay outta pocket. well any who
wish me luck!  ;)
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 04:00:15 pm »
I tried Ambien and all it did was give me a headache each night.  My psych gave me .50 mg triazolam (i.e., two .25 tabs, the highest dose recommended) and I might as well have eaten a Necco wafer (chocolate!).  I tried Seroquel several years ago but it's somniferous effects lasted only a few months.  I also experienced a "negative side effect" for a while in that each day I was a swishing dervish of energy.  I didn't consider it a negative effect at all so didn't tell my doc.  Maybe I'll give Seroquel another try.  I could use the sleep and the energy. 

My sleep patterns now alternate every few months from daytime to nighttime and it's driving me mad.  I'll either go to sleep between 11PM - 1AM and wake up after 8 - 9 hours or I'll be up until dawn and sleep intermittently until 1 or 2 PM.  If I do not get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep my brain is in 2nd gear all day and my joints and lower back ache.  I attribute the former to contracting chronic hep B in 2001 (even though the 3TC in Trizivir wiped out the infection in early 2006 I don't feel much different) and the latter to old age.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline PJC0510

• Life is worth living, so live it while you have it
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 09:41:12 pm »
I sometimes take Valerian Root before bed and it works really well!
I may never beat HIV, but then again, it will NEVER beat me!

Offline koi1

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2007, 01:53:17 am »
I am on a mild (yet addictive) anti anxiety med, called ativan. I take one .5mg tab each night with my meds. It worked for the first month, but lately it has been more difficult to feel rested. I wake up tired, and wish I could stay in bed. Could I be developing resistance to this med?

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2007, 02:07:43 am »
...Could I be developing resistance to this med?
rob

It's quite possible. I have some friends who've gone on it and then wound up poppin 'em like candy to get the effect. My personal experience with tranqs is limited. I have almost two bottles of temazepam that my doc gave me for jet lag when i flew to Thailand and back and I've had at most one or two.
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2007, 02:17:11 am »
I have insomnia due to work.  My brain never shuts down... which just leads to more stress... zucks...

Drew

Offline antibody

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2007, 12:53:11 pm »
welp! i saw the doctor about my sleeping problems and got Restoril and dropped the Trazodone. first let me tell you it was a fight. he wanted to give me Seroquel and i was like NO WAY! i've never heard of it and i'm not adding it to my already toxic Atripla. i will not! i had to hear the lecture that Restoril is in the benzodiazapine family and highly addictive. IT"S A SLEEPING PILL FOR PETE'S SAKES!!! so after he understood i wasn't going to party with these i got the script with 1 refill. it's only been 2 nights on the stuff and i've sleep so much better. the Sustiva hangover in the morning is not as bad. i don't feel as good as before the Sustiva but only 2 days into it and i'm a hellava lot better!!
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2007, 11:14:12 pm »
I tried Restoril and had a bad hangover effect....I was using Elavil only on weekends but it takes several hours to climb out of the haze in the morning....now that I take my Sustiva in the morning it brings me out of the Elavil haze very nicely!  The diminished memory from Ambien is becoming a real issue so my doc gave me a scrip for the Seroquel....tonite will be the trial run on that!   I read a posting where someone said it works just as well as Ambien without a hangover or memory issues so we'll see! I'll report back...

"Good Night"

Craig
--ACIM

Offline jyngfilm

• AHH! I knew it, Betty had balls
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2007, 11:35:22 pm »
i'll drink myself to death just to sleep. " sleep is death without the responsibillty"
munchausen by proxy is not an out in my case

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2007, 04:32:46 am »
So I guess I'm not the only one going through this.

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2007, 11:29:17 am »
Hey Johnny....you are in good company with this problem!

I tried Seroquel (25mg) Friday night and last night...WOW!  That stuff sure does work!  Last night I went out to dinner with friends and usually by 10pm I am ready to crash...since I slept SO well Friday night I had plenty of energy to go out to the bar afterwards and then I went to the bathouse (gasp) and came home at 1am.  I took the Seroquel and slept until 11am!!  I have not done that in YEARS!!  Amazing!!

AM Forum....please meet my new friend Seroquel....isn't she wonderful?  :D

Be Well....
Craig
--ACIM

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2007, 11:42:15 am »
I invented insomnia. (and anxiety attacks)  However, i learned that I only make it worse if I fight it and get upset about it.  So, I turn the TV on, usually the weather channel or something else monotonous and watch it until I fall asleep.  I have come to rely on the TV as a palliative as a result, but it's better than stressing myself out about not sleeping.

To top that off, I have found that I sleep much much better if I work out regularly.  Just a thought.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2007, 12:10:09 pm »
Echoing puck on the regular exercise thing.

I love Seroquel too.

But: I also rely on dead German philosphers. A page or two of Hegel has me dozing off in no time. 

Offline antibody

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2007, 09:21:51 am »
i'm too scared to try the Seroquel. i was given samples but cant bring myself to take it.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline edfu

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2007, 03:04:10 am »
Hey, Anti, why exactly are you so afraid of the Seroquel?  A number of us here have reported excellent results with no serious side effects.  I don't understand your fear.  I'd gladly take your samples.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2007, 05:38:32 am »
Hey antibody....cut your Seroquel tabs in half and try that dose....a full 25mg can be a heavy dose so I cut mine in half and that was "just right"....

Be Well...
Craig
--ACIM

Offline antibody

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2007, 12:57:47 pm »
i guess what i am really afraid of the Seroquel changing my mood. i understand it's original intent was to have anti-physcotic effects i know the dose is lower when suggested for insomnia. i don't see what's so wrong with a traditional sleeping pill like Restoril? we know what it does. it puts you so sleep so i have a hard time wanting to take something that was intended for something else just because it makes you drowsy. the doctor didn't want to give me Restoril because it may be habit forming. i already have a habit of not sleeping well and once i researched Seroquel a little more they warn not to discontinue Seroquel due to withdrawls so all in all i'm glad i held out for the Restoril. i have been sleeping better this week.
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2007, 10:14:49 pm »
Hey Anti...
Great to hear that you have found a solution that WORKS for you....as with all medications, each one affects everyone differently so what works for me may not work for you, etc.  I have found that if I use any one sleep medication for too long then it stops working as well....that is why I switch off between Elavil, Seroquel, Ambien, and Lunesta...oh my god....I sound like a druggie store!!  Hey it works!!  (Since starting the seroquel I am going to stop the ambien since it creates memory loss issues)

Sleep well...
Craig
--ACIM

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.