Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:07:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 347
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Jailed for disease transmission  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Zohar

Jailed for disease transmission
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:02:56 pm »
A man in the UK has been jailed for transmitting herpes to a female partner. As far as I know, this is the first time that someone has been successfully prosecuted for infecting someone with something other than HIV.

Personally, I don't agree with any of these prosecutions, but if STIs in general become subject to the law, could this mean that HIV becomes a less stigmatised disease? Will everyone be forced/encouraged to be more open about their sexual history, and be more likely to take responsibility for their sexual health?

Any other consequences, good or bad, and particularly for those of us living with HIV, of what I assume (at least in the UK) is a legal precedent?

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/crime/charity_hits_out_at_jail_sentence_for_northampton_man_who_gave_partner_herpes_1_2967070

''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Jailed for disease transmission
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
“Most people who have genital herpes don’t know it because even if they do get recurrences, it is such a trivial infection that they don’t notice it. It has exactly the same medical implications and consequences as an ordinary facial cold sore so in no way can it be construed as serious.

“It is an extraordinarily ill-informed comment to compare it to HIV. This case sets back the normalisation of this trivial infection by years. I had thought such a farcical scenario could only happen in America . . . never in Northampton”.

So let me get this straight.  Herpes is "trivial" so the sentence as a travesty.  Ah, but HIV, the plague, maybe its ok to criminalize transmission.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline LM

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:59:42 pm »
Following this logic, let's just criminalize every infectious disease, starting with the flu. Put those bastards who cough on our backs in jail. That should do the trick.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:24:45 pm »
This is kinda getting ridiculous. If people can't live with and sort out their own choices in intimate relationships without involving the police I do have to ask are we grown ups? will kids be jailed for passing on chicken pox at school? etc

He should have pleaded not guilty, transmission of herpes simplex from person A to person B is nigh on impossible to establish (and rightly so cos 8 in 10 people have it and eg I got it from my grandma kissing me as a baby, GBH, I think not).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline surf18

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:08:39 pm »
yea this is stupid. of course i hated the person that passed this to me but then when reality sets in the only person that was stupid was me as no one had a gun to my head when i did it without rubbers. we are consenting adults that make our choices good or bad and we cant blame anyone but ourselves.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 06:18:09 am »
Following this logic, let's just criminalize every infectious disease, starting with the flu. Put those bastards who cough on our backs in jail. That should do the trick.

This is the thing, though, isn't it? Once HIV transmission was criminalised, it was only a matter of time before other diseases were too, because where does one, or society, draw the line?

In the UK, the Crown Prosecution Service’s’ initial working paper for bringing prosecutions for HIV transmission, passing on pubic lice was considered as a basis for criminal charges being brought. Crazy. But then I never thought I'd see people with HIV thrown in prison either.

''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 07:05:23 am »
I wonder when they will allow me to sue the mosquito for giving me Malaria when I was 11.

The mosquito didn't even disclose before sucking my blood. How selfish is that? How can the insect feed itself at my expense? It should not matter at all that it extracted nutrition, the most basic need of a living organism only following its natural instincts. Can you believe that?  :o.

Look at the vile monster! Ugh...I am so angry...I am gonna draft the Malaria Transmission Act, 2011 right now.

Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:28:32 am »
Just to clarify, I thought the testimonial was trying to make a distinction - those "serious" diseases that should be criminalised and those "trivial" that should not be prosecutable.

So while I get the point that HIV is a much more serious disease than herpes, that real logic cannot hold over to justify a bad ethical argument about criminalizing disease transmission.

It should be all or nothing.  Go ahead and criminalise all the stigmatized STDS. Might move people to a point where people realize it should be all diseases, not just STDS, so in fact, it should be no diseases.

I would be content if there were some sort of assault charge that might work for especially egregious transmission of serious disease.  Lets say a rapist also transmits HIV or HEP C - seems to be the law and judges/juries ought to be able to address the added harm/damage.

Having a law specifically for HIV - that makes no sense.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:49:02 am »
“Most people who have genital herpes don’t know it because even if they do get recurrences, it is such a trivial infection that they don’t notice it.

Hi Mecch--

Would you kindly cite your source on this? I'd like to have it to give to people whom I know who notice their outbreaks.

Have you ever looked at color plates/pics of herpes lesions? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1920&bih=875&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=genital+herpes+pictures&oq=genital+herpes+pictures&aq=f&aqi=g9&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2496l7535l0l8268l23l19l0l8l8l0l219l1264l6.3.2l11l0

Em
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:53:45 am by emeraldize »

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:47 am »
Those pictures..auwch. Knock on wood.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 11:10:02 am »
Evidently, combating genital herpes involves running through a field.

Em, that quote from Mecch's post was taken from the article linked to in the OP.

Nigel Scott, of the Herpes Viruses Association, said: “This is outrageous. Will children also now be prosecuted for giving their friends chicken pox? For passing on a cold sore?

“Most people who have genital herpes don’t know it because even if they do get recurrences, it is such a trivial infection that they don’t notice it. It has exactly the same medical implications and consequences as an ordinary facial cold sore so in no way can it be construed as serious.

“It is an extraordinarily ill-informed comment to compare it to HIV. This case sets back the normalisation of this trivial infection by years. I had thought such a farcical scenario could only happen in America . . . never in Northampton”.

I bet Nigel Scott doesn't have genital herpes himself, otherwise he'd never make the comment "even if they do get recurrences, it is such a trivial infection that they don’t notice it" What a load of crap. Herpes hurts like hell, no matter where you get outbreaks.

While I do not consider herpes to be a trivial infection I also do not think it's something people should be jailed over. That's just idiocy. Same as criminalising hiv - idiocy! The law is an ass.

Law --><-- Me
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
The 24-year-old, from Daventry, Northamptonshire, said she hoped Golding's 14-month sentence would serve as a 'warning to others'.

Nigel Scott, spokesman for the Herpes Viruses Association, compared the case to prosecuting children for 'giving their friends chicken pox'.

He called for a review of the Crown Prosecution Service's guidelines on 'intentional or reckless sexual transmission of infection' policy, which were consulted before the decision to prosecute was taken.

The guidelines state that grievous bodily harm can be caused when transmission of a sexual infection will have 'serious, perhaps life-threatening, consequences for the infected person's health'.

But Mr Scott argued that herpes is not serious or life-threatening.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027167/Cara-Scott-David-Golding-gave-herpes-want-me.html

EDIT:
oops, posted here already : http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39391.0
Sorry
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:33:23 pm by John2038 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »
Hi Mecch--

Would you kindly cite your source on this? I'd like to have it to give to people whom I know who notice their outbreaks.

Have you ever looked at color plates/pics of herpes lesions? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1920&bih=875&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=genital+herpes+pictures&oq=genital+herpes+pictures&aq=f&aqi=g9&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2496l7535l0l8268l23l19l0l8l8l0l219l1264l6.3.2l11l0

Em

AH, read the thread.  That is a quote from the newspaper article in the OP post.  NOT MY WORDS!

I had a GF in college who was laid low for months with horrible case of herpes.  It's not trivial.  But I guess in comparison to HIV its not as bad as HIV.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:47:50 pm by mecch »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 04:59:44 pm »
AH, read the thread.  That is a quote from the newspaper article in the OP post.  NOT MY WORDS!

I had a GF in college who was laid low for months with horrible case of herpes.  It's not trivial.  But I guess in comparison to HIV its not as bad as HIV.

Got it, Mecch. No offense, I trust. Thanks so much for the clarification and story-sharing. I didn't catch your quotemarks.

Ann, thanks for the excerpt source -- dandy photo--makes you wanna get herpes instead of combat it.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.