Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:05:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 724
Total: 726

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Genvoya - Question regarding first CD4 on medication  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Rebel41

Genvoya - Question regarding first CD4 on medication
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:16:27 am »
Recently diagnosed, likely long-term infection. 

Initial CD4 - 100/13%
Initial Viral load - 1 million

Post 4 weeks genvoya

CD4 - 370/23%
Viral load - 500

My questions -

1. Should I be optimistic with this response?
2. Is this normal on Genvoya?
3. Has anyone noted changes of this nature that can give me an idea of where the CD4 numbers go for the next 6-12 months?

Thanks!!!

Edit - older at 50; no coinfections; in good health otherwise.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Genvoya - Question regarding first CD4 on medication
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:00:59 am »
Hi

Welcome to the forum, glad to hear your on treatment.

1. Should I be optimistic with this response?

No you should be ecstatic. This is great, mind you the treatment does not increase your CD4 and the goal of the treatment is to suppress the VL (HIV) so you body can focus on "recovering" for lack of better word.

2. Is this normal on Genvoya?

Your VL dropped within 4 weeks from 1 million to 500, its great yes some suppress the VL very fast. My VL was higher that yours and when I started treatment it was UD 8 weeks (could have been 6 weeks I don't remember)

However some people take 6 months to reach undetectable, so your on track.

3. Has anyone noted changes of this nature that can give me an idea of where the CD4 numbers go for the next 6-12 months?

Nobody can predict CD4's and it really does not matter, its above 200 great and the key is your VL. Nothing you do will change your CD4's however you can suppress the HIV allowing the body to recover. CD4 will rise depending on the person and keep in mind CD4 is not a measurement of health it depends on so many factors, male / female / age etc etc including how many CD$ or what level is normal for you (Nobody knows).  The average HIV negative population has been 400 - 1500 +-

Anyhow wishing you all the best, your number are heading the in right direction so keep taking the meds and I hope to hear more from you on the forums.

Jim

Oh and here is some light reading:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/newly-diagnosed
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:55:40 am »
That's great.  Your VL plummeted by 5 orders of magnitude in only 4 weeks. That's amazing. 
There's no way to predict what your cd4 will do.  It changes throughout the day.  The percentage is a more reliable number over a long period of time and you're on the right track.  Your cd4 could climb or it could stagnate,  there's no way to know it because there's so many factors involved.

You caught it. You're on treatment and you're almost to UD with no opportunistic infections. So many aren't this fortunate. 

When I began Stribild my cd4 went up by 400 in one month. We're just so different.

Offline MrThankful

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:42:34 pm »
CD4 counts can vary greatly. I was just diagnosed this past December, like you it is apparent I've had it over a decade. I'm going through chemo right now and my CD4 has been over 200 and, most recently, as low as 25.

Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't stress over the CD4 count...VL is crucial.

Offline Rebel41

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 09:31:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for your kind replies.  I'm going to keep this thread going with updates as new labs are performed.

2 month data:

December 30
Initial CD4 - 100/13%
Initial Viral load - 1 million

Post 4 weeks Genvoya - Feb 9

CD4 - 370/23%
Viral load - 500

Post 8 weeks Genvoya - Mar 9

CD4 - 325/22%
Viral load - 225

Observation - happy to see VL going down, but a bit bummed not to see CD4 improve.  I surmise initial CD4 bump reflects massive drop in VL; the current likely variability.  Longer term trend will tell story, but I feel optimistic.

Any thoughts?

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 10:26:32 pm »
Congratulations!  You're doing very well all around.  Your viral load is, essentially, undetectable, and your CD4's are well above 200.  At this point, maintaining an undetectable viral load should be your goal.  Don't worry about the CD4's:  they will take care of themselves.

Keep up the good work and live your life! :)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 08:46:03 pm »

OJO        HELLO REBEL41...CONGRATZ...DO NOT NEED TO WORRY, YOUR MED, OMG, JUST ONE PILL A DAY, GRRR!!, AND YOUR VL IS ALMOST UD, I ENVY YOU, GOOD ENVY THO, LOL...JUST KEEP DOING WHAT  YOU HAVE BEEN DOING, TAKING THE PILL, THERE IT IS AGAIN, ONE DAMN PILL A DAY, LOL, I TAKE FOUR TWICE A DAY, GGRRRR!!!, LOL...BEST OF LUCK, KEEP US POSTED PLEASE...HUGS                 OJO

Offline Bartlett

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 11:25:09 am »
Hang in there - you are doing great so far. Also on Genvoya and you can see from my signature that my CD4/% hasn't gone up drastically in 9 months on meds. Don't stress about it and remember that measurement is for one day at one specific time.
DX 1/25/16
3/30/16 - CD4 368 20% VL: 48k
6/7/16 - RX for Genvoya
7/25/16 - VL: <20; CD4 461/17%
11/28/16 - VL: UD; CD4 357/19%
3/20/17 - VL: UD; CD4 489 / 22%
7/24/17 - VL: UD; CD4 449 / 23%
11/21/17 - VL:UD; CD4 523 / 22%
3/27/18 - VL: UD; CD4 580/21%
7/31/18 - VL: 90 ; CD4 552/23%
10/31/18 - VL: UD; CD4 502/29%
01/18/19 - VL: 30; CD4 518/34%
04/29/19 - VL: UD; CD4 707/27%
7/16/19 - VL: UD; CD4 497/27%
12/4/19 - VL: UD; CD4 527/29%
04/6/20 - VL: UD; CD4 668/27%
4/1/21 - VL: UD; CD4 470/29%

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 04:51:04 pm »
Hi, also on Genvoya and infrequently have that question come to mind.I went from 50000 to undetectable in one month,cd4 was 50 at diagnosis and 150 after those 4 weeks.I went back for another round of bloods about a month ago and didn`t bother ringing to find out my numbers..that might not be the wisest or bravest approach but i wanted a break from the HiV thinking.The Nurse did say that sometimes you can hit a plateau after a year although you might find many here disagreeing with that.I`m still at 100% adherence which is all important.

Best of luck.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 11:33:27 pm »
Hang in there! Numbers are where they need to be! I started on Stribild and when dx'd, in 2013, my cd4 was 198 and vl 78K. Became undetectable 6 weeks into treatment.. CD has going up steadily. ID Doctor is checking my cd4 counts only once a year now. Last check Feb 2017 over 600. For some people cds recover fast, for others slowly... Adhere to those drugs, boy and you will be ok.I switched to Genvoya a year ago... No problems whatsoever!
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.