Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:10:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773281
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 315
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can You be a Wanderer with HIV?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Triton318

Can You be a Wanderer with HIV?
« on: June 17, 2019, 12:30:45 pm »
Hello. I was diagnosed with HIV in September 2017 and immediately was put on Genvoya. Things are going well--I've been healthy, alternating between undetectable and around 30, with a CD4 count of 363.

I am 56 and want to do certain things before I die, such as riding a motorcycle from Alaska to Patagonia and cruising aboard a sailboat. However, I'm not sure this is possible, because of the necessity of being on ARV medication. Currently, I go to a clinic about an hour from me for my semiannual check-up and blood work. I get my Genvoya from the pharmacy there. It's a Ryan White clinic, and I only pay $20.00 a month for it. Were I not to qualify, the monthly co-payment through my employer's health insurance would be close to $400.00.

Is it possible to be a "vagabond" if you are on an ARV medication? Is so, how does one do it? Or, am I destined to live a more settled life?

Thanks in advance for any advice, insights, suggestions, and support you can offer!

NOTE: To be clear, I'm really talking about the logistics of getting medication while traveling long term.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:50:04 pm by Triton318 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Can You be a Wanderer with HIV?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 12:52:02 pm »
Hiya,

HIV meds are not a limitation as such, it's a few bottles of pills to take with you. Just make sure you bring enough meds with you for the duration of the trip and, that wherever you plan to visit does not have restrictions.

Edit, in response to the edit from OP:

Getting meds abroad depends on where and, how long you are staying. So its a bit more planning just like many people with manageable conditions have. 

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:16:38 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 02:17:52 pm »
BTW Slightly off-topic but any particular motorbike in mind?
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Triton318

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 06:03:24 pm »
I was thinking about a Kawasaki KLR650 dual sport. I used to have one and really liked it.

Offline jongen

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:20:49 am »
I definetely think you can! I spent half a year travelling in South America. Took pills for the entire period of time. Take a letter from your doctor with the confirmation that the pills are for your own use. My bag was opened by Chilean custom officers and they wanted to know what I had the pills for. That was the only situation like that. Btw, Patagonia is beautiful! Good luck!

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 10:43:37 am »
I am not sure you need to worry even if your using ryan white foundation support.  They have locations all over north America.   I was paranoid at first as I travel frequently for work myself.  On another side some foundations and insurance will issue larger drug supplies on request.  Meaning you could attain as much as a 90 or more day supply in a shot.
Better news politically speaking many of the countries that still restrict travel for those with HIV are discussing about and or ending said restrictions.
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:08 am »
even if your using ryan white foundation support.  They have locations all over north America.
do you mean the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program? that's federal funding granted to the states; which then is distributed to health care providers to provide meds and health care for PLWH. Each state administers their program with their own eligibility requirements, paperwork, and restrictions. You would have to apply for assistance in each state, providing medical eligibility requirements (HIV+), financial eligibility (often under 200% FPL; but anywhere from 400% to 100%), and state residence requirements.

Some ASOs (aids service organizations) and FQHC (federally qualified health centers) that receive Ryan White Funding also have 340b Drug Discount Program monies or private contributions that allow them to assist PLWH who aren't state residents or are who are waiting for state Ryan White approval.

Some programs/pharmacies (insurance, RW, 340b programs, etc) do not dispense 90 day supplies. this information would need to be researched for a specific location, provider, pharmacy.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 03:27:43 pm »
i had this concern too for a bit,, im also diagnosed since sept 2017. alls well now.

i learned that insurance companies here in USA will usually give you a 90 day supply when needed and if asked, no more though.

Also, i refill my meds 3 weeks out every month, so in essence after awhile i have a few bottles in reserve already that have built up.  just check the expiration dates and use the one thats going to expire soonest.

if worse comes to worse, i figure i will fly to bangkok and see an MD there and get a 6 month supply from the thai red cross, via cash payment. 

Just a few ideas for you.  best of luck in your travels.

Offline Triton318

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 08:16:27 am »
Thank you all for the replies and the information; I really appreciate it. I guess the take away is that, yes, traveling extensively is a very real possibility with research and planning.

Thanks!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.