Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:00:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 710
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 692
Total: 693

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: (London,Berlin,Dusseldorf, etc) Stem Cell HIV remission cases.  (Read 19439 times)

Offline geobee

(London,Berlin,Dusseldorf, etc) Stem Cell HIV remission cases.
« on: October 16, 2018, 04:57:19 pm »
This is a stem-cell Delta-32 experiment (aka Tim Brown).  Here's the juicy part (I always take my juice with a grain of salt!)

Scientists from the Institute for AIDS Research IrsiCaixa in Barcelona and the Gregorio Maranon Hospital in Madrid have managed to remove the virus from the blood and tissues of six patients using the treatment.

But the research, published on Monday in the Journal of Internal Medicine, said one patient now has no antibodies fighting the infection, suggesting it has been completely eliminated.

Here's the article -- it's short:

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2018/10/16/spanish-doctors-eliminate-hiv-from-patient-in-stem-cell-transplant-trial/

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: (London,Berlin,Dusseldorf, etc) Stem Cell HIV remission cases.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 05:27:41 pm »
Well time will tell with this one, we all recall the kids who were "cured" but when testing a few years later it was back. Long term remission perhaps

The patients are keeping up their antiretroviral treatment,

Currently the Berlin patient has a functional cure but even than he still has HIV in some tissues just not replicating or its in a dormet state in laymens terms.

Always something to learn though

Jim
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:31:25 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline geobee

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 05:37:40 pm »
I thought it was interesting that the one patient had no anti-bodies at all.  If he goes for several years without anti-bodies -- well, that would be something.  Sign me up! 

[I *did* try to sign up a few years ago for a Sangamo D32 trial.  They couldn't get enough HIV out of my blood to do a genotype and I was DQ'd]

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 07:18:47 pm »
Even the Berlin patient had a few negative Elisa results if i recall for a while, anyhow i suspect it will be more a possible functional cure one day for some, with longer treatment gaps if it works out, we will see how time goes on. In the meantime it will be interesting to see the published results from this latest phase.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:31:58 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:50 pm »
Here is an abstract BTW and ill fish out the full one later this week.

http://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/2707334/mechanisms-contribute-profound-reduction-hiv-1-reservoir-after-allogeneic-stem

Mechanisms That Contribute to a Profound Reduction of the HIV-1 Reservoir After Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant

Abstract
Background:
The multifactorial mechanisms associated with radical reductions in HIV-1 reservoirs after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant (allo-HSCT), including a case of HIV cure, are not fully understood.

Objective:
To investigate the mechanism of HIV-1 eradication associated with allo-HSCT.

Design:
Nested case series within the IciStem observational cohort.

Setting:
Multicenter European study.

Participants:
6 HIV-infected, antiretroviral-treated participants who survived more than 2 years after allo-HSCT with CCR5 wild-type donor cells.

Measurements:
HIV DNA analysis, HIV RNA analysis, and quantitative viral outgrowth assay were performed in blood, and HIV DNA was also measured in lymph nodes, ilea, bone marrow, and cerebrospinal fluid. A humanized mouse model was used for in vivo detection of the replication-competent blood cell reservoir. HIV-specific antibodies were measured in plasma.

Results:
Analysis of the viral reservoir showed that 5 of 6 participants had full donor chimera in T cells within the first year after transplant, undetectable proviral HIV DNA in blood and tissue, and undetectable replication-competent virus (<0.006 infectious unit per million cells). The only participant with detectable virus received cord blood stem cells with an antithymocyte globulin–containing conditioning regimen, did not develop graft-versus-host disease, and had delayed complete standard chimerism in T cells (18 months) with mixed ultrasensitive chimera. Adoptive transfer of peripheral CD4+ T cells to immunosuppressed mice resulted in no viral rebound. HIV antibody levels decreased over time, with 1 case of seroreversion.

Limitation:
Few participants.

Conclusion:
Allo-HSCT resulted in a profound long-term reduction in the HIV reservoir. Such factors as stem cell source, conditioning, and a possible “graft-versus-HIV-reservoir” effect may have contributed. Understanding the mechanisms involved in HIV eradication after allo-HSCT can enable design of new curative strategies.

Primary Funding Source:
The Foundation for AIDS Research (amFAR).
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Cosmicdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:08:43 pm »
Is there more information about the 6 people who underwent the stem cell transplant?  Were they people who had some type of cancer or leukemia? They say they studied 6 people who had survived 2 years after treatment, did some people die? Did they give them chemo to wipe out their existing immune system? How arduous was the transplant process, and what side effects did they experience? 

Okay, after posting this I noticed the link to the Poz article which addressed most of my questions.

I look forward to reading more articles about this.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:12:27 pm by Cosmicdancer »
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
2/2008 - 5/2015 - undetectable on Atripla
May, 2015 - UD, switched to Complera
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
January, 2016 - Stribild, UD, 950 cd4
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 07:19:43 pm »
maybe it's just me, but if a possibility to send HIV into 'remission' involves non-routine, high-risk highly invasive surgical procedures, I think I'd prefer to just stick with my pill-a-day...
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Gladragsguy

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 07:36:10 am »
And we won't even mention the prohibitively astronomical cost of this type of treatment, or that finding the right donor is extremely difficult, or the idea that you could possibly do more damage to yourself than when you started out, or that you might have to be on even more expensive anti-rejection medications possibly for the rest of your life?  All of this for a chance to remove the Scarlet H? Power to the researchers because research like this might help us to find the cure...but this is not it...just research into the mechanism. Fight stigma that's the real cure.

Offline fabio

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 01:04:16 pm »
I,too, believe that if this procedure were to happen,the risks would be many. Getting "cured" is nice and all,but having a functioning life is the ideal and the arvs are giving us that.

Offline Prince_Bernhard

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:40:34 pm »
Exciting news from the CROI Conference:

H.I.V. Is Reported Cured in a Second Patient, a Milestone in the Global AIDS Epidemic

Scientists have long tried to duplicate the procedure that led to the first long-term remission 12 years ago. With the so-called London patient, they seem to have succeeded.

For just the second time since the global epidemic began, a patient appears to have been cured of infection with H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS.

The news comes nearly 12 years to the day after the first patient known to be cured, a feat that researchers have long tried, and failed, to duplicate. The surprise success now confirms that a cure for H.I.V. infection is possible, if difficult, researchers said.

The investigators are to publish their report on Tuesday in the journal Nature and to present some of the details at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Seattle.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/04/health/aids-cure-london-patient.html

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 10:06:26 pm »
18 months without rebounding is interesting, the way its done is interesting and provides insights into new idea's. Although its far from any workable or scalable treatment plan, more the exceptions that confirm the rule.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline virgo313

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 08:35:12 am »
Just read this news. London patient.
Possible another person cured?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/04/health/aids-cure-london-patient.amp.html
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 09:13:31 am »
So the October report covered 6 patients undergoing this, and explained the process.

My understanding is this the same, its IciStem patients being tracked across the EU undergoing the same, some (most) post treatment for cancer, the London Patient is number 36 and there is also a 2nd patient from all this showing some promise for a long term remission.

My own thoughts are 18 months without rebounding is very interesting, also the way its done is interesting and, it provides insights into new idea's. Although its far from any workable or scalable treatment plan, more the exceptions that confirm the rule.

Jim

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:16:31 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 09:14:29 am »
I like that this thread title uses the most correct word "eliminate" rather than the very misleading "cure"

unlike the Berlin patient and this London patient who have had good results, this news forgets to mention the dozen or so other patients who have tried this procedure and have died from their cancer or this procedure.

It's an extreme procedure done on PLWH who also have cancer (usually leukemia) as basically a last chance effort. The patient's immune system is killed off by radiation/chemo, stem cells are transplanted (if there is a matching donor), and anti-rejection meds are taken. Hopefully a patient can survive the procedure (which itself has only a 62% survival rate), hopefully the cancer is cured or goes into remission, and then the patient struggles to hopefully recover their health.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:32 am »
That and, i'm not saying this to step on anyone's excitement as I do get it. I am living with this as well, like the rest of us. ;)

However its not a new procedure, yeah its been tweaked but its not going to be a "cure" anytime soon in the sense of the population living with HIV. The noted exception being the odd few, and its great for the person(s) themselves.

Looking at the bigger picture however I would agree with the National-AIDS-Trust tweet, still too many people dying each year a small million and, there are other treatment improvements to focus & invest in.

https://twitter.com/NAT_AIDS_Trust/status/1102878067343704064

P.S Does remain interesting news of course and, a topic to discuss ;) 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:36:48 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline geobee

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 11:57:17 am »
Interesting item from the article re: half of us have X4 virus so the bone marrow transplant wouldn't make any difference.  Still, it's cool that there's a second guy.  Glad for him!

Offline fabio

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 02:02:14 pm »
It made international news,apparently. I now realised it's a bone marrow transplant. Didn't the Berlin patient do the same? Also if I remember right it's a risky procedure.
At least he made it.....

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »
Yeah, similar indeed
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 02:08:04 pm »
My brothers friend had a bone marrow transplant,he had leukaemia. The first three months seemed ok for him,yet my brother told me that the cells rejected his body or something like that (I don't remember exactly). So after that he went on a coma and in the end died.
I also hate the way they say "cure" in the news,just to glorify something. Journalism at its worst.....

Offline Loa111

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 03:30:40 pm »
I'm sure most of you saw this today on the news...
UK patient 'free' of HIV after stem cell treatment.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-47421855

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 08:56:10 pm »
Here is the early release publication (Free Abstract)

HIV-1 remission following CCR5Δ32/Δ32 haematopoietic stem-cell transplantation
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1027-4

POZ.com
A 2nd Man’s HIV Is in Long-Term Remission, but Is He Cured?
In full: https://www.poz.com/article/2nd-mans-hiv-longterm-remission-cured

In short:

In 2013, excitement shot around the globe when researchers suggested a baby in Mississippi had been functionally cured of HIV after clinicians started her on an atypically aggressive ARV regimen soon after birth. While an initial case report found no evidence of replicating virus in the child after she spent months off ARVs, she ultimately experienced a viral rebound 27 months after she was taken off HIV treatment.

In the years since that particular disappointment, researchers have become more measured about the language they use when referring to outcomes in the effort to cure HIV. Many investigators in the field prefer terms such as “viral remission” or “posttreatment control of HIV” as the ultimate goal of such research. Familiar from cancer treatment, the term “remission” acknowledges at least the outside possibility of a return of the virus.

Scientists, however, are so certain that Brown’s virus is gone that they have asserted he is indeed cured of HIV.

Both Brown and the London Patient received stem cell transplants with immune cells from donors drawn from an international registry who lacked the gene that expresses the CCR5 coreceptor on the surface of CD4 cells. Most HIV attaches to that coreceptor in order to begin the process of infecting cells. (Such HIV is known as CCR5-tropic virus to distinguish it from CXCR4-tropic virus, which attaches to the coreceptor on the surface of CD4s of that name.) The technical term for the donor’s genetic profile is that he or she is homozygous for the CCR5-delta32 mutation. This genetic abnormality tends to occur among about 1 percent of those of Northern European ancestry.

Brown now takes Truvada (tenofovirdisoproxilfumarate/emtricitabine) as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to ensure he does not contract HIV. The London patient has received counseling regarding use of PrEP, but at this time has opted not to take it.

The case of the London Patient is remarkable given that it follows years of concerted efforts on the part of researchers to replicate the success seen with Brown with similar strategies. (Brown’s case was first reported in 2007.) There have been numerous reports of failures to prompt extended viral remission in people with HIV using stem cell transplant methods.

There are, in fact, a handful of people around the world outside of the London Patient who are in a state of years-long viral remission after beginning ARV treatment early in the course of their infection and later interrupting their HIV regimen. These include the members of the VISCONTI cohort, a young French woman and an African child.

Promisingly, the British man received a much more tolerable treatment to condition him for his stem cell transplant compared with the brutal conditioning that Brown endured prior to the two transplants he had to receive to beat his own case of acute myeloid leukemia. Brown nearly died from his cancer treatment.

Note that in both cases the men received highly toxic treatments that would be appropriate only for individuals facing potentially fatal cases of cancer. It would not be ethical to put other people with HIV through a comparable treatment if they did not similarly have cancer.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 01:12:30 pm »
I thought it was interesting that the one patient had no anti-bodies at all.  If he goes for several years without anti-bodies -- well, that would be something.  Sign me up! 

[I *did* try to sign up a few years ago for a Sangamo D32 trial.  They couldn't get enough HIV out of my blood to do a genotype and I was DQ'd]

Really? I was DQD from a Vorinostat trial becsuse they couldn't find enough viral DNA to quantify the affects of thr study drug.  Why don't they get people like us to do a cure study for?

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 09:50:27 pm »
Another one?

From the March 5, 2019, edition of New Scientist:

(Lede paragaph):  Following news of a man in the UK who has been free of HIV since his cancer treatment, a similar case has been reported by researchers who treated a patient in Germany. Together, they add to evidence that it may be possible to cure HIV.

Link to story:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2195780-a-third-person-may-have-become-hiv-free-after-a-bone-marrow-transplant/
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 10:21:23 pm »
Yeah, the 3rd one is  “the Düsseldorf Patient” however he's only been off meds for 4 months so too early to tell, as he could still experience viral rebound.

That also goes for the London patient, although at 18 months he seems to be going the distance. The October 2018 press release indicated 6 people had survived 2 years post treatment, and that 5 had undetectable VL so I suspect over the months/years ahead we might hear about 1 or 2 more people from this going off the meds with remission.   

The British man is actually one of 38 HIV-positive individuals who have received stem cell transplants (this includes six people whose donors did not have the CCR5 mutation) that researchers hope will lead to long-term remission of the virus among them. Another study presented at CROI concerns one of these individuals, referred to as “the Düsseldorf Patient,” who has been off ARVs for four months without a viral rebound.

“[At] 18 months posttreatment interruption it is premature to conclude that this patient has been cured,” the study authors concluded about the London Patient in the Nature paper.
https://www.poz.com/article/2nd-mans-hiv-longterm-remission-cured
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:28:22 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline geobee

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 01:22:50 am »
I'm having real problem with the ethics of this.  This "cure" is pretty dangerous and expensive and will never be widely available and ... yet... I secretly wish I could give it a shot. 

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 07:32:20 am »
Has anyone heard of the "Brittish paitient".  It seems the Berlin paitient may not have been a fluke.  From what the bio magos types have said it's not the answer (risks of bone marrow transplants, 50% viability for blood cell mutation cited). 

Still though it's hard not to get excited.  It may only be a second paitient and a possible fluke, but it proves at least the possibility.  Anyone else see this as a happy thought?
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Offline joemutt

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 09:51:02 am »
Enjoyed reading this opinion piece in the NY Times, so sharing it. I agree with him on it being a distraction of sorts

In full:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/09/opinion/sunday/cure-hiv-aids.html

In short:
This is Not A Cure for My H.I.V.

The news about a second person who may be free of the infection is a distraction from the work we need to keep focusing on.

By Gregg Gonsalves
Mr. Gonsalves is a longtime AIDS activist and a researcher.

H.I.V. is not going away anytime soon. I’ve been living with it for more than 20 years and have seen the overhyped stories promising a cure around the corner pop up regularly, particularly around the time of big AIDS conferences. The news last week that a second person seems to have gone into long-term remission from H.I.V. after a stem cell transplant is a real scientific advance. But I fear the sensationalism with which this report was received could do more harm than good. It obscures the actual struggles we face in combating this epidemic.

In this most recent case, cancer was an opportunity that offered the chance to cure two diseases at once. The individual, known as the “London patient,” received the transplant from a donor with a genetic mutation that conferred resistance to the H.I.V. infection. He was the second person ever to sustain long-term viral suppression in the absence of antiretroviral treatment. Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the “Berlin patient,” underwent a similar procedure 12 years ago, with the same remarkable results.

But stem-cell transplants from these rare donors are unlikely to be used for the average H.I.V.-positive patient without cancer, because of the risks involved and the impracticality and costs of these procedures. In reality, a cure for H.I.V. remains a distant dream and the focus on the two “cured” patients is a distraction from the work that we still have to do, that’s more pragmatic and not as high-profile as news that someone is possibly free of the infection.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 04:00:16 pm »
I know there have been a few interviews etc with Castillejo, this update relates more to the treatment details and follow-ups though.

https://www.poz.com/article/famed-london-man-probably-cured-hiv
Famed London Man “Probably” Cured of HIV

Gupta told POZ that he considered Castillejo in a state of long-term remission from HIV and that it was highly likely that the man is indeed cured.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2022, 09:42:54 pm »
A woman in the USA has been in remission for 14 months without ART after a stell cell transplant with the CCR5 delta-32 mutation.  I've added links at the end of this post, including the initial 2018 publication of this case.

i-base full write-up:
https://i-base.info/htb/42182

In Short:

The case involves a woman living with HIV who was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), a life-threatening cancer, in 2017. The researchers sourced cord blood stem cells from a donor homozygous for the CCR5 delta-32 mutation that prevents expression of the CCR5 co-receptor that most HIV strains use as an entryway into cells.

The aim was to treat the cancer while also generating a new immune system made up of HIV-resistant cells, following the model that has produced three other known cases of likely HIV cures in men (Timothy Ray Brown, Adam Castillejo and the Düsseldorf patient).

A difference with prior cases is that stem cells from umbilical cord blood are less efficient at generating a new immune system after transplantation, so the woman also received stem cells from the peripheral blood of an adult relative who lacked the CCR5 delta-32 mutation.

HIV-1 remission IMPAACT P1107
https://ww2.aievolution.com/cro2201/index.cfm?do=abs.viewAbs&abs=3310

The 2018 publication of this case:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006497119382333

There is also a thread on the London, Berlin and Dusseldorf patients.
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=70974.msg755934#msg755934
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 10:05:40 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2022, 08:03:01 pm »
This is excellent news. They have also mentioned that they could potentially scale this up to 50 people/year. Still not there yet, but good news reagrdless

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2022, 06:08:14 am »
Hope the man is able to remain in HIV remission.

https://www.poz.com/article/another-man-appears-cured-hiv-stem-cell-transplant

While the risky procedure is not suitable for most people living with HIV, it offers clues for more feasible approaches.

The City of Hope Patient received a stem cell transplant for cancer treatment using cells from a donor with a rare genetic mutation, called CCR5-delta32, that blocks HIV from entering T-cells. He has remained free of HIV for more than 17 months after stopping antiretroviral therapy.

So far, only a handful of people have been cured of HIV after stem cell transplants. The first, Timothy Ray Brown (known as the Berlin Patient) received two transplants to treat leukemia in 2006. His doctor, Gero Hütter, MD, came up with the idea to use cells from a donor with the CCR5-delta32 mutation, speculating that it might cure both cancer and HIV.

Brown stopped antiretroviral treatment at the time of his first transplant, but his viral load did not rebound. Researchers extensively tested his blood, gut and other tissues, finding no evidence of functional HIV anywhere in his body. At the time of his death in September 2020, due to a recurrence of leukemia, he had been free of HIV for more than 13 years.

The second man, Adam Castillejo, known as the London Patient (featured in POZ’s June 2022 issue), underwent a stem cell transplant to treat lymphoma, receiving cells from a donor with the same mutation. A year and a half after the transplant, with no evidence of viable HIV, he stopped antiretroviral therapy in September 2017. He has now been HIV-free for more than four years.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:56:59 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2022, 07:19:10 pm »
‘Eliminate’
Thank you for being better than poz.com by using the correct term.

Now to fend off the family and friends, with so much hope for me in their voices, who'll send me a link to this "amazing" news wondering when I'll be able to get this cure. ugh. :(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2022, 10:41:40 pm »
Now to fend off the family and friends, with so much hope for me in their voices, who'll send me a link to this "amazing" news wondering when I'll be able to get this cure. ugh. :(

Every time some over-enthusiastic company mentions the word "cure" in a press release to gain attention and funding, or the media run stupid headlines on some petri dish, I spend the afternoon having to explain why I'm not nor are the other 37.7 million going to be "cured" anytime soon to my friends & family.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 01:47:54 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2022, 11:44:53 am »
There was also another woman who has been off ART for 15 years, considered to be a post treatment controller. Her case was also presented at the same conference

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2023, 03:13:03 am »
See, the Düsseldorf patient is trending in some Dutch news outlets today. Nothing new, just that the patient remains in HIV remission at the four-year mark.

https://www.parool.nl/nederland/umc-utrecht-derde-europeaan-met-hiv-officieel-genezen~b24b02cc/.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:15:11 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2023, 05:00:06 am »
See, the Düsseldorf patient is trending in some Dutch news outlets today. Nothing new, just that the patient remains in HIV remission at the four-year mark.

https://www.parool.nl/nederland/umc-utrecht-derde-europeaan-met-hiv-officieel-genezen~b24b02cc/.

English article on POZ.com https://www.poz.com/article/german-man-free-hiv-nearly-10-years-stem-cell-transplant
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2023, 04:34:50 am »
A woman in the USA has been in remission for 14 months without ART after a stell cell transplant with the CCR5 delta-32 mutation.  I've added links at the end of this post, including the initial 2018 publication of this case.

i-base full write-up:
https://i-base.info/htb/42182

In Short:

HIV-1 remission IMPAACT P1107
https://ww2.aievolution.com/cro2201/index.cfm?do=abs.viewAbs&abs=3310

The 2018 publication of this case:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006497119382333

I see this case trending in the media. There is no update, although the full paper has been published, and it's an interesting read.

HIV-1 remission and possible cure in a woman after haplo-cord blood transplant
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(23)00173-3

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 04:54:44 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2023, 02:56:15 pm »
I see this case trending in the media. There is no update, although the full paper has been published, and it's an interesting read.

HIV-1 remission and possible cure in a woman after haplo-cord blood transplant
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(23)00173-3

POZ.com article on this case: https://www.poz.com/article/mixedrace-woman-potentially-cured-hiv-using-stem-cell-transplant
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2023, 03:51:55 pm »
Geneva case - HIV remission at 20 months after stem cell transplant for cancer treatment. Early days and continued monitoring, and further testing is needed.

POZ.com article: https://www.poz.com/article/geneva-man-may-cured-hiv-wildtype-stem-cell-transplant

In Short:
Known only as the Geneva Patient, a sixth person appears to have been cured of HIV after a stem cell transplant for cancer treatment, according to a case study presented at the International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science (#IAS2023) in Brisbane, Australia.

The man received a transplant in July 2018 using so-called wild-type stem cells without the CCR5-delta32 mutation. He stopped antiretroviral treatment in November 2021 and has no evidence of HIV rebound or replicating virus 20 months later, Asier Sáez‐Cirión, PhD, of Institut Pasteur in Paris, and Alexandra Calmy, MD, PhD, of Geneva University Hospitals, reported at a preconference press briefing.

“All the immunological markers we have analyzed have been unable to detect HIV products,” Sáez‐Cirión said. “We cannot exclude that there is still some virus present…so there may be viral rebound in the future, although we hope this situation of viral remission remains permanent.”
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.