Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:51:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773221
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 611
Total: 612

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: off, bactrim and onto Dapsone very low WBC count  (Read 6106 times)

Offline webontheweb

off, bactrim and onto Dapsone very low WBC count
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:25:18 pm »
Hey guys and girls.  Just had a check up.  My White blood cel count has never been above 3.2 in the last 16 months and the Doc has taken me off of Bactrim and put me on Dapsone.  Didn't give it a minutes thought, until I got the script home and see that it is usually used to treat Leprosy!  I thought that I had gotten over FEELING like a leper and having to call out on the street "unclean,  unclean"  but know we know the truth!  I have an appointment with a hematologist next week.  They want to see if there is an underlying cause for the low WBC.  On the good nes, my CD4 is above 200 again! also it is at 20% a good sign, still undetectable viral load.  I have gone from 134 to as high as 222, hovering around 200 for one year.

If there is anyone who has gone through this, could you contact me privately to discuss.  I am not freaking out at all, just want to educate myself before I see the Doctor. 
Thank you , thank you thank you.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: off, bactrim and onto Dapsone very low WBC count
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:42:38 am »
Not sure why your doc switched you from bactrim to dapsone, but they both prevent PCP pneumonia.  Hopefully, once your CD4s get a little higher, you can stop both.

Your numbers are looking great!

FYI -- read our PCP lesson:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/PCP_6889.shtml

Offline BM

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »
I had a white blood cell count of 2 while on Bactrim. Apparently the sulfamethoxazole component can suppress bone marrow, causing a dip in white blood cells. I was changed to Dapsone and my count came back up.

Offline webontheweb

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:39:19 am »
Had an appointment with a Hematologist this week.  She agrees with me that I am allergic to something in the bactrim, if you read up you will see that it is not so uncommon.  So- they gave me bactrim because I started out at a cd4 of 134 to give me protection against PCP, but the Bactrim suppressed my immune system which kept my cd4 below 200 so they kept me on the bactrim for protection.

CRAZY?!?!?!?!?!?!  I think so-  I wish I had read more about Bactrim and side effects sooner. i would have gone off it a long time ago. 

In the week since I stopped Bactrim My WBC # has gone from 2.9 to 3.5.  I FEEL better all over.  Looking for next bloo test to confirm.  When my husband was taken off Bactrim his numbers jumped 150 points in 3 months.  222 to 372.  WOW!

Educate yourselves, boys and girls.  It will pay off.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.