Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:48:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 652
Total: 653

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Increased appetite  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Day0

Increased appetite
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:21:11 pm »
Shortly before I was diagnosed I had oral thrush and it was bad. There would be days I wouldnt eat because it was so painful.

Then I was diagnosed and put on treatment. The thrush started to go away fast and the first time I ate, and it didnt hurt, I actually cried.

The thrush is completely gone and my mind feels so clear. Now though, I am constantly hungry. Also, everything tastes amazing. Even foods I didnt care for. I mentioned to my doctor that everything tastes so good and I'm constantly eating garbage. She said that was normal after my experience but I need to get a handle on that.

I've always had trouble with my weight.  In shape then out of shape. But I think I want to go back to the gym but I am worried about my very low cd4 and other people who may get me sick.

Is this a common thought with other people or am I just being ridiculous and finding excuses?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Increased appetite
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 03:25:18 am »
Hiya,

Plenty of people have these questions when starting off with low CD4 counts.

In short exercise is good for you in so many different, so go to the gym or park, exercise and live your life as normal.

Sorry for the short reply but greetings from my Holiday in Malta to you. About to head out and drag my HIV/AIDS ass a cliff hiking for 3 hours.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Pirata

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 06:29:36 pm »
I was diagnosed a year ago my CD4 was 100. Before I was diagnosed I used to go to the gym 5 days a week, and doctor prescribed Bactrim and told me it would be ok continue going to the gym. I neve stopped going, I continue with my routine, 5 days a week, I never got sick. Now I don’t know how low are yours?

Offline Day0

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 11:14:01 pm »
I was diagnosed a year ago my CD4 was 100. Before I was diagnosed I used to go to the gym 5 days a week, and doctor prescribed Bactrim and told me it would be ok continue going to the gym. I neve stopped going, I continue with my routine, 5 days a week, I never got sick. Now I don’t know how low are yours?

I was at 6. I'm sure it's gone up since then but they haven't pulled those labs for a few months. I am on Bactrim right now.

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:45:10 pm »
I was at 6. I'm sure it's gone up since then but they haven't pulled those labs for a few months. I am on Bactrim right now.

I was at 198 when dxd. I really never got sick just lost a lot of weight and that led to diag. I go to the gym at least three times a week and have not stopped. Exercise is good for you!
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:24:14 pm »
Was 22 CD4 at Dx. Was getting sicker n sicker about 8 months before Dx. Loosing weight, diahorrea many times a day, thrush, PCP pneumonia.  Funny thing is I was still trying to work out up to a couple of months before Dx, the more I worked out the weaker I got. Lol ! Took me about 7 months recovering after Dx to feel ready to start working out again. Now I’m strong n fairly fit again n pushing it hard in the gym. ID doc told me to do cardio to combat potential heart issues later in life with hiv and go lift weight to strengthen the bones re osteoporosis issues it might cause in some people so I do both.

Offline Loa111

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 05:26:21 pm »
Was 22 CD4 at Dx. Was getting sicker n sicker about 8 months before Dx. Loosing weight, diahorrea many times a day, thrush, PCP pneumonia.  Funny thing is I was still trying to work out up to a couple of months before Dx, the more I worked out the weaker I got. Lol ! Took me about 7 months recovering after Dx to feel ready to start working out again. Now I’m strong n fairly fit again n pushing it hard in the gym.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 09:01:16 pm »
GO FOR IT! Workout, try and eat healthy. Excercise will only help your health.. possibly improve your immune system.

When I was dx, I had pneumonia, ks and 143 lbs with only 13 cd4's back in 2014.

Just before my dx, I was weighing about 150 lbs, and I thought I was doing great since losing so much weight, normal weight for me at the time was about 185 lbs.. lol, I was knocking out over 100 push ups not realizing it was the aids eating up my body fat that was helping me push less weight.

So after my dx, I left the hospital  and started treatment. Like you, I was ravenous.. eating everything. Had a thing for Outback Steakhouse. I'd eat steaks and cheeseburgers like twice a day sometimes.. it was ridiculous.

Soon I was weighing 215 lbs which didn't feel good on me at all.. so I started riding bike, hitting the weights and got a better handle on my weight. I'm about 194 lbs, eat mostly vegetarian and continue to excercise.

Oh, and my cd4's have climbed to about 300, been ud for the past 3 and a half yrs now.
I'm almost 60 and although I'm not the healthiest person in my age group, I'm healthier than many people around my age that are negative.

Don't let that cd4 count fuck with your head, don't let it stop you from living life. do what makes you happy, Be all you can be (old army slogan  ;D)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.