Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:19:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 623
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: One year after my diagnosis  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Carlos 32

One year after my diagnosis
« on: November 09, 2018, 08:21:57 am »
Hello everyone, I did not write on this platform since I was diagnosed, although I enter the forum and that helps me a lot, today I write a year after my diagnosis and treatment, it has been a roller coaster of emotions, many tears, a sea ​​of ​​anxiety that I have been managing with my psychiatrist, but I can also say that my personal struggle with this disease has made me stronger, although a little sadder, it becomes inevitable in many moments to think how many years of life will be left with this diagnosis, to remember I started with an AIDS diagnosis of 119 cd4 7% and 220,000 copies, without opportunistic diseases. I am in treatment Tivicay + Truvada. Yesterday I received the new results and I find myself undetectable (hurraaa), but I am very worried about my cd4 that came in constant ascent, like this: January 2018 - 230 cd4 10%, March 2018 - 340 cd4 12%, June 2018 - 470 cd4 14% , now I receive my new results, five months later and I find that my CD4 went down although its percentage went up, like this: October 2018 - 421 CD4 16%. This decrease in my CD4 count five months after continuing with my treatment makes me think: Am I doing something wrong? Could I have another disease that is causing me to lower my numbers? I know that I can seem very pessimistic or scary, but by God, this has not been easy for me and I am very worried about the descent of my CD4. I thank all your valuable contributions.
P.S. I thank Tonny, a member of this forum and a true angel, who has been with me throughout this year, without your help I might not be telling this story.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: One year after my diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:41:58 am »
Your CD4 number is fine and so is your percentage.  CD4 numbers fluctuate throughout the day (by as much as 100):  what matter is the longer term trend, and yours is excellent.

Continue to adhere to your regimen and you will continue to be fine.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 11:55:44 am »
Yeah, I agree with Ptrk.

Your UD and that is the goal of the treatment to suppress the virus.

The CD4 count is rather irrelevant, can up and down, also its not a measurement of overall health and nothing you can do will change them or the rather irrelevant meaning of them. That said the % has increased though from 10 % steadily to 16 % .. cool.

From a HIV treatment point of view its time to keep taking the treatment and live your life.

Sorry to hear anxiety is something your struggling with, keep working with your psychiatrist on that. I'm not sure if its something for you but perhaps peer support groups might also be something to consider? Meeting more people face to face that are living their lives might help... Just a thought.

Take it easy

Jim
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:17:54 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 06:30:35 pm »
As already mentioned, your numbers sound great and a "blip" on the CD4 - already in a good range - is inconsequential.  Most importantly, you're UD.  Bravo!  You've maintained your treatment.

I'd like to reassure you psychologically, too.  It's pretty normal for many of us to laser focus on numbers at the outset.  And why wouldn't we?  Heck, seroconversion is a traumatic event for most of us.  With time and experience (i.e., getting back to the business of life) I'm willing to bet they'll become less a reason for anxiety.  A simple alternative to the numbers is simply asking yourself, "How do I feel?"

I'm all for the work you're doing with your psychiatrist, too.  I'm gonna go out on a limb a little bit and mention that, in my personal experience (it may not be yours), I've used a psychiatrist primarily to find/monitor the right psychiatric meds for me.  On day-to-day matters and coping strategies I've had a therapist in the mix upon whose experience I can rely weekly or even more often if the need arises.

Though you're still dealing with anxieties, perhaps you'll take one voice to heart who says you've definitely been walking the walk by taking responsibility for your own treatment in this past year.  You done good.
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline harleymc

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:17:07 pm »
As long as your viral load is supressed you'll be fine.

Everybody's cd4 count fluctuates, it not an upward trend for ever and ever, otherwise we'd explode from excess cd4 cells pressing out of our blood vessels.  :o

Offline Carlos 32

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 02:14:55 pm »
Thank you very much everyone for your comments and your support, the truth if it has been very difficult to deal with the issue of anxiety, and any pain that I feel is slight I attribute it to the dx, but I am on the way to improve, I am very spiritual and I feel that God will not leave me alone, thank you very much for giving me such tranquility! A hug from Colombia! ;) 8)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.