Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:26:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 357
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 12458 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Tattoos
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:35:02 am »
I love Tattoos, but don't have one.  Had a tremendous fear of needles.  That has quickly left since being diagnosed.  Anyway I want to get one and was wondering if being HIV+ would have an affect on getting an infection or any other complications or side effects that could occur.
Thanks,
Woods

"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline hivez

Re: Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:38:26 am »
i'm interested in this as well.

Offline tryingforhope

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:57:56 am »
Me too I have also been wondering about that. I do have a friend who is a tattoo artist and his response to me was that he is sure he has worked on people that did not even know yet. He also said if you go to a reputable place there should be no worries about infections etc. So I would guess that it is ok. I asked him if he would want someone to disclose to him that they were HIV pos and he said no because he works as if they are anyway.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 10:00:04 am »
As long as you use a professional artist, with the right equipment and fresh ink, you should have no problem.  The skin has about 7 layers and most artists strive to place the ink in the 5th layer and that is done by adjusting how deep the needles go into your skin.  Outlines generally go the deepest with colors maybe done one layer closer to the surface.

A true professional will have autoclaved (or new) needles and will always use fresh ink.  Just like a dentist they should be using fluid precautions and I have never revealed my HIV status, nor had any problems of any kind with my tats, two of which are very large.  I have one that spans my shoulders and my latest addition is on my right arm that extends from half way down my neck to my elbow.

Care of tats is pretty standard.  After you get the tat it will shed ink for 1 - 3 days.  The ink is washable so it will not stain your bedding and after a few days it will all start to scab over.  While it heals, it if itches DO NOT SCRATCH NOR PICK AT ANY SCABS, instead lightly slap the tat and that will stop the itching.  If you pick off the scabbing you risk damaging both your skin and the tat.  Nothing dangerous, it will just diminish the look of your tat.  You will also need to avoid water and sunlight.  For bathing I find it works really well to use Saran Wrap or something to cover your tat, clean yourself and then take it off.

During healing it is imperative that you keep the tat clean (use cotton padding and alcohol) and put something on it to keep it supple, like Ink Fix or some kind of hand balm for very dry skin.  In about a week the whole thing will be crusty and will begin to flake off.  You will shed for a day or so and then you are done.

Of course if you see any discoloration or have any pain at the tat site, you should contact your doctor, but I do not know of anyone who has had any problems as long as you follow some simple care guidelines.

Just remember to use a professional and you should have no worries and you will wind up with some great looking ink.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:01:43 am by killfoile »

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 10:10:04 am »
Absolutely Joe! You got it!! With the fresh ink, it's also important to be sure they change the ink wells. But with a professional and reputable tattoo artist, this shouldn't be an issue.

As most know here, I have a few tats, and continue to get more. As a matter of fact I get a new tattoo every year on my birthday and my diagnosis anniversary date!

One other thing I want to stress, is, find an artist who is comfortable with working on you, because you will have to disclose that you have HIV on the form you fill out. My advice, is to speak with people you trust, and get a referral...it's always the best way to get it done!

I love the INK!!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 10:36:31 am »
What Joe and Jeromy said. I would be more concerned about Hep C than HIV. But if proper precautions are taken, there shouldn't be a problem.

Tats can be hot. I don't have any, but I think they're hot.

I have always wanted one, but when I worked up the courage to get one, the "artist" balked at my choice of tattoo. He said it was too small.

I also noticed he was using the same ink on different people. That is a no no!

So, no tattoo as yet.

By the way, Joe's tattoo on his shoulders is awesome!

Sigh. Well, one day.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »
Get one! (my next design here, getting it inked December) - newt

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:43:12 pm »

Joe explained it to a tee.   I've got 5 tattoos all since becoming positive and have had no problems to speak of.   

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline woodshere

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 12:55:10 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Now if I could just get real drunk so I wouldn't chicken out!
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 12:59:29 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Now if I could just get real drunk so I wouldn't chicken out!
Woods

NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!

Don't get drunk! Drinking alcohol prior to tattooing is bad, very bad! Alcohol thins the blood and will actually make you bleed more, and if the tatooist has any scruples, he or she will not work on you!

Don't get drunk!!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline woodshere

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 01:31:36 pm »
I was just joking about getting drunk.... :) 

However, what about valium? ;)

Woods

Offline tryingforhope

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 01:45:55 pm »
I want one that says Jesse's Girl and a tat of my sons feet but I am too chicken with the pain also. Although everytime I watch Miami Ink, I want to run out and get one.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 02:05:37 pm »
I was just joking about getting drunk.... :) 

However, what about valium? ;)

Woods

Valium may be okay...you just don't want anything that could allow you to bleed too much.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 04:17:45 pm »
Hey Woods,

Good luck with your tattoo.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 04:52:55 pm »
I agree with what everyone else has said. I have 4 tatts and one piercing. Are you diabetic? It takes us a lil longer to heal. I have 2 on my neck. I am hoping to get more some day. I want more Pagan tatts, has the idea in my head but no one to draw it for me....I don't know about the valium but I always smoke a blunt or 2 before I go get em done. GO DO IT!!!!!
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline tsw923

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 11:27:19 pm »
Newt, I love the design!

I have one, got it before I knew my status.  I agree, if you go to a reputable artist you will have no problems.  I'm thining about getting another one.  Maybe I'll do it around my first HIV birthday, 'mark' the occasion.

Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 12:08:55 am »
If you do make the decision, see if the artist you've chosen has Tattoo Goo---either to give or sell to you. It's a very effective healing agent.  Many tattoo artists go to conferences annually, take extra training, etc. I would encourage you to exercise the same due diligence in choosing your artist as you would any other service provider who could cause you undue harm. Check out their parlor/studio first. Ask if you could watch---there a lots of folks who don't mind if others watch while they're being inked.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 03:08:29 am »
   ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 01:36:37 am by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 10:57:49 am »
I got my first tattoo a few years back, many  years after being diagnosed.  I've also had both nips pierced since then and have had no problems with either.  Just follow their advice on taking care of it during the healing process.  Stay out of sunlight or UV light for awhile and keep it clean.

Definitely go to a reputible (sp) tattoo artist.  I've disclosed my status with no problems.  As soon as I get some money together I want more.

I came up with a design of a red ribbon being held in a hand with rainbow colors coming out of the top of it.  The hand sits on a cloud.  I'll have to come up with a drawing to post it.  I did a painting of it though and thought it would be a unique tat.

The one I have now is a rainbow colored tribal armband on my left arm of course  ;)    No need for me to show a face pic, once people notice the tat they know who I am  ;)    I love the unique one of a kind ones.  Makes me stand out a bit.

Good luck with the tat, let us know what design you decided to get.

Newt, Love the design!!!

Love and Light,
Rev. Michael
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline Basquo

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 12:54:25 am »
Go for it!

As for my experience, I got one 20 years ago, and tried about 2 years ago to have it touched up.  Made the deal, even paid for it, until the questionaire...they wanted me to sign something saying i didn't have diabetes, HIV, Hep, a heart condition...I said hey, dude, isn't there something else I can sign?  Something where I don't have to lie? I'm poz, and your sign says "No Refunds."  Well guess what I got a prompt refund.  They wouldn't do it.

Fast-forward to August, at the AMG in Montreal.  I worked up the nerve, found a studio and worked with the artist on a design, and signed a paper stating I wasn't on substances, hadn't had Hep in the last year, and was over 18. What a souvenir!

Mom's not too happy.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 02:51:58 am »
I have one but it's a decade old and I need to have it redone.  I don't recall ever signing an HIV disclaimer though.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Lakis

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 04:09:46 pm »
Hi,since I'm positiv,I got 6(!!!!) tattoos and 5(!) piercings.Most of them in Little 5 points(Atlanta,Georgia) and couple piercings in Germany.NO problems whatsoever! :-)

Offline petsu

• Married. She is NEG.
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 12:00:46 am »
As long as you use a professional artist, with the right equipment and fresh ink, you should have no problem.  The skin has about 7 layers and most artists strive to place the ink in the 5th layer and that is done by adjusting how deep the needles go into your skin.  Outlines generally go the deepest with colors maybe done one layer closer to the surface.

A true professional will have autoclaved (or new) needles and will always use fresh ink.  Just like a dentist they should be using fluid precautions and I have never revealed my HIV status, nor had any problems of any kind with my tats, two of which are very large.  I have one that spans my shoulders and my latest addition is on my right arm that extends from half way down my neck to my elbow.

Care of tats is pretty standard.  After you get the tat it will shed ink for 1 - 3 days.  The ink is washable so it will not stain your bedding and after a few days it will all start to scab over.  While it heals, it if itches DO NOT SCRATCH NOR PICK AT ANY SCABS, instead lightly slap the tat and that will stop the itching.  If you pick off the scabbing you risk damaging both your skin and the tat.  Nothing dangerous, it will just diminish the look of your tat.  You will also need to avoid water and sunlight.  For bathing I find it works really well to use Saran Wrap or something to cover your tat, clean yourself and then take it off.

During healing it is imperative that you keep the tat clean (use cotton padding and alcohol) and put something on it to keep it supple, like Ink Fix or some kind of hand balm for very dry skin.  In about a week the whole thing will be crusty and will begin to flake off.  You will shed for a day or so and then you are done.

Of course if you see any discoloration or have any pain at the tat site, you should contact your doctor, but I do not know of anyone who has had any problems as long as you follow some simple care guidelines.

Just remember to use a professional and you should have no worries and you will wind up with some great looking ink.
Pretty much what he said but I would advise using unscented Lubriderm or Curel (none of those "goos") to keep it moist. NO slapping! Some places ask status and some do not, but have never been turned down.
Viramune, Truvada, Lipitor once daily.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 02:45:24 pm »
I had a few done at Rising Dragon, on W.23st at the Chelsea Hotel. They use new needles and I had no difficulty.

27 years and counting.
Your name here  X_______________

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 06:13:56 pm »
I'm HIV positive and I have a tattoo and am about to get my second.  My first one also needs touched up a bit.  I made sure I went to a reputable artist--this guy uses a different needle each person.  I figure I don't want to allow hepatitis into my body.  So, make sure it is a reputable artist, I'm always wary of the ones who do tattoos for cheap--I have this thought as to why is it they are cheap and I research to make sure they are doing things properly like not cutting costs by reusing needles between customers and using proper sterile technique.  Nor would I go to some guy who does tattoos out of his living room.  It also is good to follow their instructions for tattoo care.  But I didn't reveal my status and my tattoo is rather large and I had no trouble--I read a book the whole time since I have a high tolerance to pain.  If you don't, perhaps you should pop a few pain relievers beforehand.  Incidently I found this guy through my parents--they are both in their 40s and decided to get tattoos together, which I find amusing because they are both very conservative and never showed a wild side before. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 06:17:05 pm by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Eldon

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 07:45:08 pm »
Hey Woods...

When you DO get your Tattoo, get it on the right hand side thigh or the cheek. Awaiting pics.

"Don't Give Up, Don't Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

Offline cremedelacrem

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 11:21:53 pm »
Hi,since I'm positiv,I got 6(!!!!) tattoos and 5(!) piercings.Most of them in Little 5 points(Atlanta,Georgia) and couple piercings in Germany.NO problems whatsoever! :-)

I was actually about to ask if anyone knew of a parlor in Atl to get one.  I have two already but was recently diagnosed and would like to get another one.  Did they make you sign a waiver there?  Was there any embarrasment?  What's the name of tha parlor?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 12:03:22 am »
Woods,

Living here in Louisville, like me, isn't TC's considered to be the most reputable place?  I went there to have my nips pierced.  That was some of the worse pain ever.  I thought I should just get a tattoo then, since I was already in pain.  Actually, the pain went away pretty quickly.  Well, until one of my piercings got infected.  I want to go back to get inked.  Is that how the kids say it?..lol.  

Maybe I'll see ya there.

Modified to remove the complete name of the tattoo business.  I've seen how the google thing works.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:13:54 am by tednlou2 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 12:07:31 am »

Joe there are only three layers of skin, Epidermis, dermis and the subcutis. Ink is injected into the dermis when getting a tattoo.  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 12:11:35 am »
this thread is four years old -- congratulations everyone
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 12:18:17 am »
Joe is still here and he'll see it tomorrow.  :)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 12:32:22 am »

Wow!  People really do research the old threads.  Well, Woods, did you get that ink or not?  It has been 4 years.  Is the color wearing away yet? 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 04:53:02 am »
has been 4 years.  Is the color wearing away yet? 

Color takes a very long time to fade.  I have 3 tatts I got 21 years ago, and the color hasn't faded a bit.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline hellrider

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 08:23:37 am »
Interesting topic! I have 10 tats and I was wanting more until I found out I was positive, then I let go of the idea as I felt HIV and diabetes will make it more difficult to heal, I have had one tat with diabetes and it took about 2 weeks to heal right. So I am reading about you guys getting tats with HIV so I might rethink the thought.
Life's a hell of a ride and I still have some ridin to do.

12/8/2010 CD4 693   VL 192,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.