Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:22:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 572
Total: 573

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: pin prick and doorknob  (Read 7050 times)

Offline ghostsniper007

pin prick and doorknob
« on: August 16, 2007, 04:56:56 pm »
Hi all,

I have been reading the forums and have found the answer to my initial question.
(risk level of a handjob with vaginal fluid present [thought seem to be low on this forum])

But what I haven't really found out is why there is such a difference
between genital-hand-genital contact versus, lets say, one rubbing his penis on a woman's vagina ? 

Fluids are still coming into contact either way, no ?

Thanks for everyone's time and opinions.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: differences between contact
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:13:32 pm »
But what I haven't really found out is why there is such a difference
between genital-hand-genital contact versus, lets say, one rubbing his penis on a woman's vagina ?

Hi Ghost.

What you're referring to is called 'frottage' and no, it's not a risk for HIV transmission. Even if there are fluids about. HIV transmission is not a simple matter of coming into contact with infected fluids, rather it's about getting those fluids in the right place.

So to speak.

HIV transmission occurs inside the body, like in the anus/rectum or in the vagina.

MtD

Offline ghostsniper007

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 04:21:21 am »
thanks for the reply.

my hangup is the fact that vaginal fluids are on my penis and foreskin.

the only difference i can see between this and intercourse is some air exposure.

http://www.sfaf.org/aids101/transmission.html#outside
Air does not "kill" HIV, but exposure to air dries the fluid that contains the virus, and that will destroy or break up much of the virus very quickly.
The CDC reports that drying HIV reduces viral amount by 90-99% within several hours.

I must say, I'm not pleased to hear 'several hours'
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:34:07 am by ghostsniper007 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:17:04 am »
ghost,

"Reducing the viral amount" is not the same thing as the virus being viable and able to transmit itself. Hiv is very fragile and the outer membrane MUST be intact in order for it to latch on to a few very specific cell types and infect a new host. Small changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all quickly damage this outer membrane, rendering hiv unable to infect.

Not only that, but as I said, hiv can only latch onto a few very specific cell types. On a male, these cell types are mainly found down inside the urethra or inside the rectum. The combination of hiv's fragility and the location of susceptible cells is why hiv is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

While you do not need to test specifically over frottage, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ghostsniper007

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:46:41 am »
thanks for the reply Ann,

I'm also a bit worried about the fluid coming into contact (and getting under) my foreskin (microscopic tears).
The handjob didn't have much contact with the area around my urethra.

good point 1:
---I had some KY warming liquid on myself before the handjob begun, hopefully it aided in breaking up the virus.

good point 2:
---the vaginal fluid was not from deep fingering, but rather playing with her clitoris.
I've read what Andy wrote and he noted that the more contagious fluid is near the cervix of a woman.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:23:31 pm »
ghost,

Not one person has EVER become infected through the activities you bring to us. Not one. You didn't have a risk.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you won't have one in future either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ghostsniper007

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 06:08:14 pm »
First I'd like to thank the forum admins for their time, patience and replies.

Your answers were very reassuring.

Question (hopefully the final one):
Are those transmission statistics open to the public?
Before posting I looked high and low for such numbers but only found very generalized numbers and categories.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:29:57 pm »
Forget about statistics. You've been given the real deal here in relation to your situation specifically. Believe me if there were any doubts about anything you've reported we would be telling you so.

Don't get caught up in searching the net for stats or stories, because believe me you will find lots to feed your worst fears. All without any solid science backing them of course.

You're good to go. Get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline ghostsniper007

pin prick and doorknob
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 01:26:24 pm »
Hi,

On my way out of the testing center where i received a pin prick rapid test (neg result)
I used the same hand on the door knob and later realized that the bleeding hadn't yet stopped 100%.

the thought popped into my head that something from someone else could have been on the doorknob

did i get myself into situation ?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:41:37 pm by ghostsniper007 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: pin prick and doorknob
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 03:35:47 pm »
Ghost,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

It doesn't matter is someone who is hiv positive bleed all over that doorknob before you touched it, you will NOT have become infected with hiv in this way.

Hiv does NOT remain viable and able to be transmitted when it is outside the body and on an environmental surface.

Touch all the doorknobs you like, with whatever may be on them and you will NEVER become infected with hiv in this way. NEVER.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ghostsniper007

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 04:06:46 pm »
Thanks Ann, sorry about the new post, just thought since it was a new question it should go in a new thread. 

My main worry is that I had a pin prick on my finger,
I fully realize from reading this forum that you cannot be infected through unbroken skin, which is not fully the case here.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 04:19:10 pm »
ghost,

I understood the first time you were worried about your pinprick. You didn't have a risk. No way, no how.

You are not going to make history by being the first person to be infected with hiv from touching a doorknob. Really, you aren't.

You won't even make history when I time you out for going on and on about a no-risk doorknob incident.

Touching doorknobs, even blood-covered ones, with a pinprick on your finger is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Never has been, never will be.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.