Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:58:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 653
Total: 654

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Questions about switching to dovato and probability of drug resistance  (Read 4491 times)

Offline frederick

Hello guys. Would appreciate your inputs about my concerns. I'm planning to switch from my current drug regimen (Tenofovir DF, Lamivudine and Efavirenz) to Dolutegravir + Lamivudine (DOVATO) because of kidney issues.. I have the following questions:

1.) Is there a risk that I might not be able to go back to using tenofovir (TAF / TDF) and efavirenz in the future because of drug resistance? My ID says that there's a possibility but I've been reading that as long as one stays virologically suppressed then drug resistance is not possible.. Which one is true?

2.) I read that dovato should not be used with sorbitol and some other sugar alcohols since it can decrease the absorption of lamivudine. Does anyone know if this applies to erythritol as well?

3.) I'm taking my current regimen at 2am and plan to take dovato much earlier in the afternoon (say 2pm) since I read that it might cause insomnia for some. Would it be ok to take dovato 36 hours (instead of the usual 24 hours) after taking my current regimen? I'm thinking it should be fine but I just wanna be sure..

Offline Matths

Hi Frederick, I have been taking Dovato since it came to market in the US and have been UD since then (with 100% compliance). I like the idea of fewer drugs achieving the same outcome as triple drug regimens which was my primary motivation at the time.

To answer your questions:

Ad 1) just recently there was a paper published showing that Dovato is as effective as triple therapy in suppressed patients. Here is the link: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhiv/article/PIIS2352-3018(21)00100-4/fulltext?dgcid=raven_jbs_etoc_email

In your case being suppressed you will continue lamivudine with its excellent track record, plus dolutegravir with its high barrier to resistance. Assuming you have no resistance to the INSTI class you will be fine. In the unlikely event that Dovato doesn’t work for you, and given that you are concerned about kidney function, there are other options out there that are easy on the kidneys and work to keep you UD. But in my opinion, the switch to Dovato should result in a treatment with higher barrier to resistance than you already have and therefore should work very well.

Ad 3) given the half life time of the drugs you have been taking and the new regime, and therefore the assumption that the “old” drugs are at steady-state, you should be fine when doing the actual switch. I for myself take Dovato first thing in the morning always 24 hours apart and it works for me. I do it simply to not forget because middle of the day is usually busy and I may forget. But in any case, always take it at the same time whatever time works best for you.

Ad 2) I checked on the pharmacology of sugar alcohol and as long as you don’t take exorbitant amounts which cause diarrhea I don’t see a reason why this could interfere with the absorption of lamivudine or any other drug.

Hope this is helpful, best Matt

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
as long as one stays virologically suppressed then drug resistance is not possible
resistance can develop when the amount of medication falls below the optimal level to keep the virus suppressed. Normally we take daily meds, which keeps the level of medication high enough to stop HIV from replicating. As we have reservoirs of HIV in our system which can occasionally activate, daily meds keep suppressing this HIV from gaining a foothold.

If however a person falls below 95% adherence, but continues to take some meds, the med level drops too low to be effective. Imagine someone simply stopping meds. At some point there aren't enough medications in their system to suppress HIV and it can once again begin to flourish. Most of the time, this doesn't result in resistance. However imagine someone skipping a day here, a couple days there, and that's where problems begin. With no meds HIV can flourish; but with some meds in their system, but at too low a level to be effective, HIV can mutate against the meds. That's resistance. From then on, even if the patient goes back to being 100% adherent, HIV isn't suppressed by that med anymore.

Changing meds, by going from successful adherence to one set of meds (resulting in undetectable) and switching to another regimen of meds (that one does not have resistance to) does not cause resistance because the level of meds in your system does not fall too low, but remains high enough to suppress HIV during the change.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.