Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:44:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: odds of weight regain after wasting  (Read 9813 times)

Offline zach

odds of weight regain after wasting
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:33:36 am »
i'm just sort of thinking out loud here, this isn't something that is causing anxiety or anything

anyone here experienced significant weight loss and been able to regain a more "normal" body weight?

kind of getting sick of people telling me how thin i look, i'm like, "no shit?" and i  want to regain just to get them off my back. i eat well, even started pounding 2-3 ensure a day for an extra 400-600 calories on top of meals.

but at the same time. i don't care, as long as i feel ok, it doesn't bother me. i used to normally carry 175, right now i'm at 135. anywhere from 150 up, and i wouldn't even think  about my weight.

i've got bigger issues to deal with than my weight. i don't even want to think too much about lab numbers. just take my meds like a good boy, and be patient. i figure my dr will tell me when i'm ud, or if there is a glaring problem. i don't think i'm being reckless or cavalier, i give this virus it's due, i know what it brings. i just want to avoid extra stress on things i can do little to change. kind of a don't sweat the small stuff philosophy.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:40:13 am by zach »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: odds of weight regain after wasting
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:49:31 am »
You will regain the weight . I have been sick and lost down to 120 once and 140 a few other times . It took awhile but when the meds kicked in I began to gain again .

I now have to watch what I eat or I will get fat ... again .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:50:18 am »
When I lost that much weight over a decade ago I did injectable deca-durabolin/nandroone anabolic steroid every other week administered by my doctor. Then we combined this with remeron/mirtazapine as my anti-depressant because it's well-known that one side effect is weight gain. Even doing all of that it took me 3 years to regain my weight, and you have to put a lot of effort into forcing yourself to get your appetite up. If you can convince your doctor to do injectable steroids (btw, my testosterone levels were fine -- this was just done to increase appetite and body mass) you should combine it with weight resistance training, lightly at first naturally.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:07:09 am »
It's important to remember it's also about building up muscle mass.  Just prior to me joining the forums, I was the sickest and thinnest I had ever been.  Even I recognized it.

I could barely walk 2 blocks to the post office and had to stop and rest.  I slowly started bicycling again.  I started out being able to ride a total of a half mile or so.  I pushed it continually and now I can ride endlessly. 

I know I'm probably the last person to address this issue  ;) but simply gaining weight without exercise will create flabby mass. 

During that period, I couldn't believe some of the comments I rec'd from people.  Yeah, I knew I was sickly and skinny but I didn't need to cower under the blankets and hide from society.  A person I had known for ages ran into me and almost immediately commented on my weight and said I needed to put on some weight.

I was looking down at her ass that was the size of VW and thought about suggesting we work on our weight issues together.   :o
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:15:56 am »
I would like to add ... HIV poz folks are sometime at a higher risk for abnormal lipids and cholesterol so I would pay close attention to what you eat and try to avoid that before it becomes a problem . You are a southerner and I bet you are offered the same high fat foods that put me at risk .

We were told back in the day to eat whatever we wanted to keep our weight up . I took that advice and now I'm a insulin dependent diabetic . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 09:26:00 am »
I would like to add ... HIV poz folks are sometime at a higher risk for abnormal lipids and cholesterol so I would pay close attention to what you eat and try to avoid that before it becomes a problem . You are a southerner and I bet you are offered the same high fat foods that put me at risk .

We were told back in the day to eat whatever we wanted to keep our weight up . I took that advice and now I'm a insulin dependent diabetic .

that's a great point.  my doctor suggested I eat a high fat, high calorie diet to quickly add weight.  Within a year I was struggling to loose weight as I had chunked up a tad too much....which is why I wore all those baggie shirts in Seattle.  It took a lot of work to lessen that belly pouch which I'm beginning to think will never be completely flat again.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:26:55 am »
I had lost a lot of weight due to wasting and over about 2 years I returned to normal weight.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:39:18 am »
I ate some high fat things -- switched to whole milk, ate non-diet ice cream. But once I was going to the gym I was strict with not so much fat and basically ate grilled chicken breasts, brown rice and steamed vegetables 5 days out of the week, then supplemented with protein shakes as well -- and more substantial than Ensure.

It would be beneficial to go to a nutritionist if you're worried about regaining the weight while eating a better diet.

ps: reminder that I still had a detectable viral load all during this time so it took me longer to gain my weight back I am sure

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 11:05:49 am »
I had lost a lot of weight due to wasting and over about 2 years I returned to normal weight.

dunno if you remember, we've met, at lafittes bar really late one night a couple years ago. your weight was fine then, didn't look sickly at all

ms p, jeff is right, its hard down here being around family without being force fed things i just dont want to put in my body anymore. thats really where my annoyance with rests. they start accusing me of starving myself, because i won't have a second helping of chicken fried steak, with gravy. left to my own, i eat healthier

i've switched to ensure + mix, and thinking about hitting a gnc for a mass gainers protein mix. i've tried hard for a few years now to limit my triglycerides as part of an ongoing battle with seborrheic dermatitis

if i was negative, and simply thin, i know how to gain muscle mass in a healthy way. i can become a gym addict, easy. but there is this other variable, and sometimes i don't know how much of my former self i can get back, and how much hiv has simply created a new normal for me that i should accept

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »
Are you taking any prescription topical creams for sebhorric dermatitis?

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 03:09:57 pm »
ketaconazole, i only use it on my face... a hippy chick i know hooked me up with some hemp based oils that freaking worked a miracle on what was going on up on my scalp. for years i've made fun of her berries and herbs

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »
They make a shampoo with ketaconazole in it, or should I assume you've tried that? Anyway, since your cd4 counts are so low it may take getting them up a bit further for this stuff to work better. But I'd still keep using it.

Offline zach

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 04:22:57 pm »
i've used the shampoo, but the hemp/tea tree oil/sandalwood i'm using now has much better results, smells good, and my half inch of hair looks luxurious

yeah, the whole skin flaking thing, kind of like a barometer for my overall health. when it gets bad, i know i'm getting bad. i've worked with it enough to have it pretty much in hand. every product i use on my skin and clothes has been tweaked with skin issues in mind. really, i'm happy with that. shower routine feels the same, just different soaps and stuff

i only mentioned it in this thread because reducing triglycerides has paid off in a number of ways for me overall... not that i ever will, but i'm thinking eliminating red meats and most cooking oils would be a good thing

Offline AusShep

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 08:28:22 pm »
I've been pretty much exactly in your shoes with the hospital issues as well as my normal and sick weights.  The weight came back pretty fast for me, when my metabolism did the 180 I went from skin and bones and looking much older, my hands looked like I was 90, to normal pretty fast, but I lost it pretty fast too.  I was on IV drugs at home after the hospital for awhile though and they plumped me up in the hospital a bit with constant glucose drips in addition to meals.

Desonide cream (Rx) has worked for the dermatitis much better for me than the OTC dandruff shampoos.  Insurance covered 3 tubes, 45g, for one generic copay.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.