Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:02:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 710
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 686
Total: 687

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My First Blip  (Read 13686 times)

Offline daveR

My First Blip
« on: September 08, 2022, 02:52:36 am »
Did my 6 monthly check, all become very routine with the results all ways being anticipated in advance. Waited for the paperwork, CD4 count 795 at 40%. All normal, checked the viral load, undetected for 6 1/2 years. Got a level of 27. Now even though I know that is absolutely nothing and still classed as undetected I was wandering around the hospital like Mr Bean.

Decided to speak to the Dr, she guessed the issue when I went in. Explained it was nothing, no further testing required until my next routine test. Even said that as of late many of her patients were getting blips and she actually thinks it is something they are doing in the laboratory.

It is strange though as when I read on here of others having blips and worrying I always think, nothing to worry about. When the shoe is on the other foot it is a different story.

Dave

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: My First Blip
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 03:57:36 am »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 04:20:03 am »
That summed me up and also what my Dr did about it.  ;D ;D

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 04:26:36 am »
That summed me up and also what my Dr did about it.  ;D ;D

;D LOL.

27 isn't even a blip in my book, but I can understand the initial reaction and am glad to hear your Dr kept their calm.

It is strange though as when I read on here of others having blips and worrying I always think, nothing to worry about. When the shoe is on the other foot it is a different story.

Yeah, knowing something and living through it is different.

Now you have experienced it, and that experience might be useful when talking with others going through the same in the future.

How are you feeling/doing otherwise?

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 05:32:59 am »
Feeling good in general thanks for asking.

The only other issue was the creatinine levels still. 1.24 on a scale with a maximum of 1.18. The switch to Triumeq made no difference there. The Dr is not bothered by it as it is stable at that and I have no protein in the urine. All other numbers withing normal range, kidneys, cholesterol. No complaints.

And you are correct, talking about it and experiencing it are two different things.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 05:52:19 am by daveR »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 02:30:20 pm »
Feeling good in general thanks for asking.

The only other issue was the creatinine levels still. 1.24 on a scale with a maximum of 1.18. The switch to Triumeq made no difference there. The Dr is not bothered by it as it is stable at that and I have no protein in the urine. All other numbers withing normal range, kidneys, cholesterol. No complaints.

Glad to hear that you are generally feeling good 👍
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 01:31:38 pm »
Yeah, knowing something and living through it is different.
ain't that the damn truth.

as someone who has had several blips through the years (1500, 2500, 79000) and too many of those pesky Micro-Blips™, I've always warded off the worries with a little science.

first off, that test result is just a snapshot of that one moment in time when your blood was filling up the vial; and in the human body, things are changing all the time. Temp, BP, weight, and all that stuff that comes back from a CBC. CD4s, and even VL, are potential changes too. CD4s can change by 100 pts a day, so they're really not a great way to measure someone's "healthiness". Knowing we have reservoirs of latent HIV residing in us means there's always a chance your blood was taken as a little bit of HIV was floating around in the process of your meds tackling the issue.

As far as science, "successful HIV treatment" is considered to be a viral load of 200 or less. That's why Micro-Blips™ (VL <=200) mean nothing. Then there's always lab errors. They're rare; but they happen. A good way to view you VL, and your CD4, is by the trend of at least 3 tests over at least 6 months. Remembering to not focus on just one test result (a moment in time) and considering the change through an amount of results over enough time can give you a better view of what HIV and your immune system are really doing.

needless to say, getting a micro-blip, or a super-duper blip, is troubling; but until your VL jumps up into the 10s of 1000s while your cd4s plummet below 200, you just have to hold off a conclusion (and your worries) until you get your next results. As time goes by (gaining experience) it really does get easier to not worry about this stuff as much.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 03:03:33 pm »
super-duper

Okay, so a tad off-topic, but given we already mentioned Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson) and now reading you mention super-duper, it gave me a flashback to "Not The 9 'O Clock News" from 1981/2 ? With Rowan Atkinson and their parody Of Super Trouper By ABBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYkxvU66c3s
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 03:07:40 am »
Golden oldies. I think I actually remember watching it on TV.

If we can't maintain our sense of humour about things, all would be lost.

Offline daveR

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 02:04:32 am »
To save starting another topic entitled My Second Blip I shall continue on this one.

My micro Blip has grown from 27 to the heady height of 210. I am still on Triumeq, two pill version. My Dr is still not concerned but has asked me to go back in three months instead of the usual six months. Strange that for over five years I was undetectable on Complera but had my first Blip one year after starting Triumeq. My CD 4 count is excellent at 1140 but the viral load does concern me a bit.

The other thing that niggles me is we changed from Complera to Triumeq as my serum creatinine level reached 1.33 and the Dr was concerned. On Triumeq it is now 1.35 and she has no issue with it. The old saying if it's not broken don't mess with it springs to mind. She doesn't appear to be very consistent with her opinions.

Not stressing over it yet, but see what happens in three months time.

Best of luck to all
Dave

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 05:16:50 am »
My Dr is still not concerned but has asked me to go back in three months instead of the usual six months.
As mentioned before successful HIV treatment is considered to be a viral load of 200 or less. 210 is just too close to 200 to set off any warnings or concerns for your doctor. Especially if you're going to test earlier next time.

Every 6 months? I would love that. Because of Ryan White measurement rules, I have to go every 3 months - which quiet frankly, being compliant to daily meds, seems a total waste of resources and my time for someone living with HIV for 39 years.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline daveR

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 09:10:15 am »
Thanks leatherman, I just looked up the 200 limit and it seems that many institutions call anything below 200 suppressed and under control. My Dr did mention up to 1000 doesn't surprise her. 

Offline Mindless

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 02:12:07 am »
Hello Dave,

Always nice to read your comments. I had my first blip at my previous 6 months check, then the next one was back to UD. My Dr. had a similar reaction, nothing to worry about.

I also had a creatinine increase for the last 4/5 years, last lab was 1.33. My Dr also says nothing to worry about, but after 4/5 years of constant increase I insisted to be referred to a kidney Dr.: he told me it's most likely normal aging (I'm 54) and to keep monitoring. If it increases more, we could do some more specific lab. My next check is in 2 months.

I'm on a 2 pills version of Dovato for the last 2 years, previously 2 pills Complera like you.
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline daveR

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 05:20:28 am »
Hi Mindless,

Glad Dovato is working out for you. I discussed that regime about a year ago with my Dr, she advised to stick with three drugs for now.

Hope your results are good in two months. I think one of the issues the like of us have is these regular medicals, probably a lot of people wandering around out there who have no idea what their creatine levels are so don't worry over it.

Dave

Offline Mindless

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2023, 01:57:34 am »
Hello Dave,

With a bit of delay, I’m updating my info related to the creatinine issue. My last check at Red Cross last May was 1.24, still over the limit but lower than the previous (1.33). My hiv asked me to do also a check at another lab, which came back as 1.26, basically the same.

The kidneys dr he referred me to said that in some people DTG is known to slightly increase the creatinine. Honestly, I have some doubts about this interpretation, as my baseline values just after starting ARVs were below 1. However, he said that although values are over the limits, other labs do not show signs of kidney damage or illness, so he advises simply keep monitoring.

I guess I have to live with that
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.