Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:14:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 482
Total: 483

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My bf is Positive  (Read 9192 times)

Offline Null

• Standard
My bf is Positive
« on: February 20, 2020, 02:34:10 am »
My bf is HIV positive, he didn't disclose his status to me. I dated him knowing he's positive,but he doesn't know I know.. he's been a bit distant and cold, we cool on whatsApp but when we indoors he's not comfortable, but if we go out or there's other people around he's ok. He's been saying he wants to tell me something but he's not ready. So I started the HIV chat to put him at easy, that because I'm negative doesn't mean I won't be with a positive person. I'm well educated on the virus, there's PEP drug which I always have, there's prep if there's need for it and ofcourse there perso would be taking ARVs so chances of getting HIV are very low. I wanted him to know I don't stigmatize or discriminate positive people. So I went for my HIV screening, I told him my results(-). I told him even before, so ever since then he's been distant. How do I tell him I still want him with his virus? that I'm gonna support him? I get it, it might not be easy for him to disclose, maybe he fear rejection. Please help how do I tell him I know his status in a polite way and I still want to be with him.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: My bf is Positive
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 07:39:36 am »
ofcourse there perso would be taking ARVs so chances of getting HIV are very low.
actually the chances aren't "very low" .... the chances are null. For someone living with HIV taking antiretrovirals and Undetectable for 6 months the chance of transmitting HIV is ZERO.
U=U or undetectable = untransmittable

How do I tell him I still want him with his virus? that I'm gonna support him? I get it, it might not be easy for him to disclose, maybe he fear rejection. Please help how do I tell him I know his status in a polite way and I still want to be with him.
well don't tell him you want him "with his virus". It's nobody's virus, it's just another disease and no one owns it... or wants it.

Just tell him you know he's living with HIV and still want to be with him. Quit beating around the bush. Since you know his status, quit talking around the subject. If you're going to really be in a good relationship with someone, you need to be honest and forthright.

Oh! and if he gets upset that somehow you found out his status, don't take offense. He's obviously been trying to hold that information until an appropriate time and somehow you know his personal medical information...and have been hiding that you know that information. If he takes offense, own up to your part in the deception.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Null

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 09:30:31 am »
Thank you so much Leatherman, I will talk to him, maybe things are gonna be better. He also doesn't like sex, I think he feels bad cause he hasn't disclosed his status, we doing great on chats and dates but indoors he gets abit uncomfortable.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 03:39:54 pm »
He also doesn't like sex
Since HIV is mostly a sexually transmitted disease a lot of people have issues about having sex for a while after diagnosis....and sometimes beyond. People realize this isn't just the usual STI where there's some discomfort, discharge, and a shot will clear it up; so they get worried about transmitting it to others. Of course the easiest way to not transmit HIV is simply to not have sex - and that's the route a lot of people take. It takes time, a boost of self-esteem, support, and knowledge to get past this barrier.

wonder if he knows about U=U?  Not everyone does yet. If your partner is on treatment, reaches an undetectable viral load, and remains adherent to the meds (so the viral load stays undetectable) for 6 months then there's no chance of transmission. :) that's the good news; the bad news is that knowledge doesn't always fix emotional/mental issues that come with the diagnosis. That takes time, support, and time. (yes, I meant to put time in there twice ;) )

leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Null

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:21:10 am »
Thank you so much.. right now, I don't even think he takes ARVs.. and I always say to him lack of knowledge is dangerous...I will try talk to him and tell him that he has my support.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 04:07:08 am »
Hiya,

Yeah, talk to him.

I have to ask though, if he did not tell you himself that he is living with HIV and he is not taking meds, how do you factually know he is living with HIV?

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Null

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 09:32:57 am »
Hi Hiya,

I have dated someone positive before, and I don't have a problem with that, it's my personal choice. The person didn't tell me he was positive, even though I could see shingles and he wanted to have sex without condom but didn't want to go test with me. So I hacked the system and found out he is positive and he just then started his medication and his viral load was too high.

Ever since then I told myself, whoever I meet I will check them out and protect myself cause most people they don't disclose their status and don't want to use condom. I saw my current bf there and he had one visit which I assume the day he found out, no record of him following up. I know what I do is invasion of privacy but I get myself knowing and very aware of what I'm getting myself to.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 10:53:28 am »
When I think I've heard it all, supprise 😂😂😂

protect myself

Well that's simple enough to do, use condoms & PrEP regardless of what you think someone's HIV status might be.

look don't post anything outside of this thread and
I'll step out for now and be eating popcorn on the sidelines. 

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 09:57:41 am »
even though I could see shingles and he wanted to have sex without condom but didn't want to go test with me.
shingles has nothing to do with HIV.

a positive HIV result can take from 18-45 days after the initial exposure, so a one-off test isn't a guarantee depending on the risk exposures of a sexual partner.

protect myself
protect yourself with condoms and PrEP. the condoms will help prevent other STIs too, so win-win

cause most people they don't disclose their status and don't want to use condom.
wow. >:( that's a pretty sweeping assumption about people you don't know, and in my personal and clinical experience, a false assumption. these forums are filled with people worried about disclosing, who to disclose to, and the best ways to disclose. Perpetuating the myth that People Living with HIV are putting others at risk only perpetuates stigma which reduces testing. Unfortunately the people most likely to transmit HIV are people who are untested. Up to 90% of HIV transmission is by people who haven't been diagnosed.

So I hacked the system and found out he is positive and he just then started his medication and his viral load was too high.

I know what I do is invasion of privacy but I get myself knowing and very aware of what I'm getting myself to.
that's not an "invasion of privacy", that's the crime of theft of medical records. What you really need to be very aware of is the felony charge with up to 18 months in prison and up to $100k fine (at least in a couple of states that I know of) and loss of employment.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.