Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any Suggestions For Motivation?  (Read 3998 times)

Offline joyluckclub

Any Suggestions For Motivation?
« on: May 13, 2013, 08:14:11 pm »

Compared to 4 years ago, I am doing well by ANY measure.

I have a decent job.

I am able to pay my bills.

I am relatively healthy.

I just don't know how to get the motivation to do more..........

I do what I have to do.......but to move to the next level, I must find a way to plan and execute goals.

I was hyper motivated earlier in life ( up until 22), but issues of depression/bi polar/HIV/weight  have weighed me down for over a decade.

I 've jumped back from job loss, house loss, car loss.......

On weekends, I just sit and watch TV..........

I sometimes go out to activities, visit with friends, etc.

I just don't have the drive............

What's up?

Any suggestions?
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Any Suggestions For Motivation?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:35:54 pm »
Well I hear that you are down.
Just wanted to say, you got your health, job, pay your bills, some friends. All that sounds pretty good after overcoming some of the blows you mention, so pat yourself on the back.  Just curious what is the "more" you want to accomplish next? It's a vague feeling, or something more specific you could mention?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 01:43:48 pm »
Maybe if you realize how lucky you are and that you have so much to be thankful for you can find the motivation.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline britchick

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 02:41:01 pm »
Hi! 

Re motivation.....Im learning not to be too hard on myself. I was used to 80 hr weeks  for approx 15 yrs and then I just couldn't do it anymore ...I felt like a failure.

All I can say is please dont be too hard on yourself.....each day is different.Somedays you can do heaps and some days you  just cant..and thats ok.

Britchickx

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 06:13:50 pm »
Just wanted to say hello. I have PTSD or bipolar; the therapist is not sure yet. But I do see her about my depression and she is cool. She is always encouraging me to reach my goals and I think you probably need a good therapist. It took me two before finding this one.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:44 pm »
Maybe if you realize how lucky you are and that you have so much to be thankful for you can find the motivation.

This certainly can put things in perspective.  However, when dealing with a chemical imbalance, no amount of good thoughts can fix it.  Well, let me qualify that.  Good thoughts are certainly better than negative thoughts, when dealing with an imbalance.  But, I don't think you will suddenly find motivation, until the imbalance is treated. 

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:46 pm »
Back in 1996, I was admitted into an isolation room due to AIDS and told immediately that I would never work again.  I was in that room for months and did go for walks when the Nurse unhooked my IV.

(The entire floor was an AIDS ward and the Doctors, Nurses and Interns were so impressed I was walking around.  They felt nit was a good sign, I wanted to live and in 1996 you were considered to be on deaths door in 5 years.

I had been an industrial safety program designer and had designed safety programs from the North Alaska Fisheries to the South Florida Ship Yards with translations in 50 languages.  On my early walk through the hospital grounds, I kept seeing safety posters reminding staff of potential risks with sharps, glass capillary tubes and the AH light kicked on...

It had never been done before, I designed an industry specific safety program from my hospital bed.  Over the years, I increased my designs to 9 different industry types and 17 years later, I can say I never sold a one of them.  You don't find motivation, it finds you  8) Have the best day
Michael   

Offline xasxas

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 11:11:48 pm »
I might also suggest that your perceived lack of motivation is partially due to just growing older.

When I was 22 years old, I thought I was going to conquer the world and be a captain of industry.  At 32 years old (I didn't have HIV yet also), I was a bit more realistic and just wanted to do well for myself without the grandiose ambitions.

Similarly, when I was 22 I felt an almost desperate urge to socialize and felt like I was missing something if I had quite night in.  At 32, I had already had more than my fair share of nights out, traveling, etc and no longer felt obligated to socialize.

I don't consider myself less motivated than when I was 22 just more realistic and more at ease with myself.  The only reason to be concerned about less activity is if you're more unhappy now then when you were before. 

In that case, you may want to make a concerted effort to shake things up.

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:03:35 pm »
Thank you for your comments.  All the comments were helpful.

I have been diagnosed as being either depressed or Bi Polar 2.

I do not let the 'label' define me.  I use the diagnosis as a way to understand the highs and lows.

Like one person said, I thought I would conquer the world at a younger age.  Now, I just want to be good to those who love me.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:16:30 am »
I'm not sure what you are looking for in this thread.

You want motivation for what? 

You mention diagnosis about serious mental health conditions, but its unclear which you have, or if there has been any treatment or followup. 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline deibster

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14:01 pm »
Hi Joyluck,
  I figured out in midlife that both of my parents had been depressed. They both lost a parent before they were teenagers, & grew up during the great depression when they didn't always have enough to eat.

I became fatigued even before my HIV test came back poz, I knew I was ill. I was determined not to be depressed for years like my parents. I'm in therapy & also on anti-depressants and Prescription speed. Yes, I have to go to a psychiatrist to get it, but after a few years, I only have to go to him once every 2 to 3 months. It has made a huge difference in my life.

If you are not in therapy, on psych meds, try it. If you are, pat yourself on the back for earning a living & managing your own life. I know many people who have been on disability for many years. I had a good job for years, so I have a pension & SSA disability. Best wishes & Hugs from Provincetown, Deibster
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 07:53:37 pm »
Deibster,

Thank you for your comments.

I am now seeing a therapist.   In better times, I was seeing a therapist and a psych.

At the moment, I am not on meds.   I am a little tired of trying so many different meds and not seeing any real difference.

So, I am at a crossroads.  Start seeing the pysch again and try meds or try other methods (exercise, yoga, massage).

I will take it one day at a time.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.