Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:29:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 474
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone knowledgable about running?  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Coffeechick88

Anyone knowledgable about running?
« on: December 26, 2006, 06:43:32 pm »
First of all, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  I wanted to know about what a realistic goal for running is.  To give some info:  I told my phlebotomist who works with me in the lab that I would start working out with her.  She is a lapsed runner and wants to get back into running--me, not so much (I was always a swimmer until I messed my shoulders up).  I have been horrible about exercise lately and am out of shape, which is disappointing because I used to be very fit.  Then I started to get sick and too tired to do anything and didn't feel like eating much, which has changed since I've been on meds and have improved in health and energy.  Another side effect of being on meds and feeling better is I feel well enough to eat--everytime my elbow bends, it seems, my mouth flies open and that has led to weight gain.  She wants to try to be at the fitness level to be able to complete a race and I thought that seemed like something that would motivate me and to shoot for.  The races she is talking about are in July and also a few in September, if I remember correctly.  My question is, for someone who is out of shape like me and not really a runner (she mentioned 5K and half marathon) are either of those distances a doable goal by then?  I don't want to push myself too hard and I also would not want to walk half the time.  I just don't have a clue about how long it takes to get ready to run. 
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Anyone knowledgable about running?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »
I don't know enough about your exact physical state to make a proper assessment about the realism of those goals.  I will therefore advise you to take this up directly with your doctor.  That should be done even without any racing goals, especially with the ever-present HIV issues.  (Don'tcha just love the way it horns inon EVERYTHING- blech!) 

I will say this:  (1.)  SHOES:  Invest in some proper running shoes for your exercise/training.  DO NOT rley on a regular pair of sneakers (no matter how comfy they may seem for everyday wear).  You can end up with some MAJOR joint issues & such if you do not.

(2.)  STRETCH:  I can't over emphasize this enough either.  Make sure you do some proper stretching.  Not just 1 minute or 2.  You need to give yourself a good 5 minutes of slow, focused stretching...especially at first when you are brand new to this type of training.

(3.)  LISTEN TO YOUR BODY:  While I don't know about your long-term training goals, I can tell you that if you pay close attention to your body, it will tell you pretty accurately if you are pacing yourself properly in the short-term.  Listen to it, and do not be afraid to communicate with your training partner about where you stand in the training process.  Encourage the same open communication from your training partner as well.

That said, I think this is an AWESOME plan to have in the works.  You will likely experience some far-reaching benefits whether you ever make it to a race or not!

Right on!  Good luck!

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 07:09:57 pm »
I don't know a thing about running, unless I have one damn big dog chasing me. Then you would be suprised how fast this ole man can run.  ;D

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 07:12:21 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I do definitely plan on talking to my doctor--I think he would be glad that I am going to get into regular exercise.  He is not the type to say things directly--I got a copy of my medical records and in his visit notes he called me "well-nourished", lol.  It is much different than my first, beloved doctor who told it like it is.  I was sedentery for a long time when I didn't feel like doing anything and wasted away weightsie.  I then only got sporadic workouts when I worked as an EMT nightshift and went to school and then on my first lab job--this one--I had a crazy schedule.  Now I've worked out a sweet deal schedule-wise, so I have so much more time.  I am just horribly out of shape.  I probably will have them make sure the rest of my joints are okay--I only found out about my shoulder issues after repeated overuse injuries from the crazed coaches keeping you spending hours in the pool and then several surgeries happend.  I hope I haven't inherited all my grandmother's bone problems though.  Thanks for the encouragement as well.  I might even see if I can go do swimming again since I wouldn't be doing rigorous training and hopefully this running thing will work out.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 07:15:45 pm »
I don't know a thing about running, unless I have one damn big dog chasing me. Then you would be suprised how fast this ole man can run.  ;D
Haha--I hear you on that one.  I actually had that happen to me when I was a teenager and cut through this person's yard and he happend to have some viscous Dobermans.  I practically jumped the damn fence like a hurdle. 
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Grinch

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 08:14:46 pm »
While in the Army I ran....a lot...10 mile Tuesdays were a bear at 5:00am after drinking until 2:00...
Lots of people will tell you many different training techniques but it really comes down to one thing, just run.
Pick a goal and work into it.  If a 5k is your goal start slow and work up to it. I have no idea what your starting point is but 5k is what, 3 miles? With out a base line you might try the following: Drive a 1.5 mile loop where you will be training, if there are telephone poles, jog a pole, walk a pole, repeat until your done. When that's easy jog 2 walk 1 and so on until you can jog the whole thing. You can then start running hard a pole, then jogging a pole, etc until you can run at a fair pace the whole route. When you can run 2 laps you can not only run a 5K you can be competitive. Singing cadence helps a lot with good breathing but would probably really annoy the neighbors.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 10:07:04 pm »
If you are running outdoors and have the choice, choose packed dirt paths over concrete.  It will save your knees in the long run.   ... and as other have said, shoes are so important to cushion the impact... thick socks too (white). 
I personnally run indoors on the treadmill.  It is a lot more forgiving to the knees for seniors like myself.

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 12:15:25 am »
Aside from the good advice on good running shoes and working your way up to a sustained jog, I can't speak highly enough about running!  It will burn the hell out of calories and that nasty fat AND the runner's high can be very uplifting.  I always say I'm going to "exercise some demons" when I feel down and need my spirits lifted... so, off I go and I feel so much better afterwards.  You can do a 5k or even a 10k run, and I think we should be using the term "jog" instead since running conjures up, to me, hauling ass...ha ha, in the amount of time you referred to as long as you're physically able.  Just start now and work your way up as mentioned.  Find yourself an interesting course as well and go at it several times a week.  I love running on the beach, but I also love running in the city - just keep it interesting.

Good luck! Just do it!

Steve
;0

Offline naftalim

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 01:56:46 am »
Hi there, I;ve been running for over 20 years, so I hope I can help. First, running has to be one of the best forms of exercise, both mentally and physically. You can go on your own, or with friends, you can go slow or fast, up or down, any way you want. You don't need any special equipment, or facility, and unlike team sports, no one tells you what to do. It is also one of the best weight mangement activities there are.

If you initially get into running because a friend wants you to, thats good, but the best way to get into it and stick with it, is when you do it for yourself. I have never run for "exercise" I ran for the love of the activity, the feeling of moving fast, the very basic down to the roots of it.

Since I have been diagnosed, I am running much slower as I try to get back into shape, but I am grateful that I can still do it.

So, some tips. Many specialty running stores have clinics for walkers, beginning runners and those who wish to race. See if there are such stores in your area. This is good as you will have a group of people all at roughly the same level meeting regularly, so its a social thing as well. Also, these clinics have usually worked with many people who have either just started or are getting back into it, so they know how to set a program that will bring you along in the right way.

It usually takes between 4-6 months for someone starting out to where the running gets really comfortable, so stick with it. Dont run for distance in your training, instead, run for time. If for some reason, you cannot go to a clinic for runners, try to start with 3 days a week, walk/run, so run for 1 minute, walk for 30 secomds until you have done 20 minutes. In the coming weeks, increase the run time to 2 minutes and so on. In week 5 move up to 4 days a week. Never increase your mileage by more than 10% a week.

The most important piece of equipment you will need are proper shoes. Make sure that you purchase these shoes at a specialty running store, as they are usually staffed by runners and people who understand the biomechanics. Most people either pronate or supinate, and some are neutral, find out which one you are and make sure you are fitted with the right shoes. I would even suggest getting more than one pair as it will keep each pair fresher longer, and help avoid repetitive motion injuries. Do not buy the Nike SHOX shoes. Some shoes are over-cushioned and in fact will lead to injury as they dont allow the natural motion of the foot, and they dont allow for the natural strengthing of the foot ligaments, tendons and muscles.

Drink plenty of water, it helps to hydrate and avoid muscle cramps. if at all possible, try to run on trails, and not on roads.

Finally, remember to enjoy the activity, especially in ligjht of what we are all dealing with. You will also find that on days that you may feel crappy, a 30 to 40 minute run will do wonder.

All the best.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 03:08:08 am »
Yes, I AM Supporting You!

Hey Kimberley...

"ChaplinGuy" runs marathons. You may want to send him a little PM asking for some info on running. That shoud be a great HELP for you. I wish you the BEST.

Thanks for chiming in and sharing with the group.

Don't You Dare Give Up... Don't You Dare Give In...
Because It Is ALL Within YOU to WIN!!!

Offline Christine

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 03:02:11 pm »
Hi Coffechick,
I think it is great you are planning on running. I used to run years ago, when I was +, but stopped when I started to have more health problems.

I never ran in races, just to stay in shape. We used to live in NJ by the ocean, and I could run by the beach on the boardwalk, and I did love seeing the water and breathing in the sea air.

I ran 30-35 miles a week. I started out by walking, then just building up to all running. Listen to your body. You might find you will need longer to recover now. I also do yoga, and would really stretch before, during and after I ran. Make sure you eat well, and enough to fuel your body.

Touch base with your doctor, get good shoes, and get a good bra. Titlenine.com carries really good bras and workout clothes for women.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 11:23:48 pm »
I have been running for the better part of my life (track&field in grade school, Jr High, and military) . Although I dont even run 3 x a week etc. I have to take physical fitness tests and work out often because I have been on the Navy for 15 yrs.

Having said that The one thing that will keep you running and in shape is discipline. You have to treat it as you would lifting weights etc.. if you try it out and dont keep up then it will just be an experiment. For you to stay fit your lifestyle has to have a regular routine of some exercise not to mention the health benefits and longevity of life if done right. If anything do at least 20 mins sustained cardiovascular exercise 3-4 times a week at a minimum.

Lastly when you first start out do a small pace like a mile or so but let it be somewhat physically challeging that you can handle. Buld it up like a tolerance over time and you're body will adjust and gain endurance/stamina the more you work out. This quote I remember and helps me" to be fit you have to live a lifestyle of fitness" Not saying you have to be like the super athletes or skinny minnys etc... just do what works for you.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 03:28:18 am »
I dunno CC,

I think there is two kinds of running... Being dragged by a full grown German Shephard from Golden Shores Ave to the Hunting Beach Pier (two miles) OR Being a single man wearing Capezios in South Central L.A..  Neither style takes any training.  Have the best day
Michael 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.