Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:04:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 203
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My first attempt at being an activist....a frickin disaster  (Read 4460 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
My first attempt at being an activist....a frickin disaster
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:38 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I ask for suggestions for a presentation I was to do at a health fair at the local university.  They asked me because they wanted someone positive to speak.  My title was HIV:  It's Better to Know.  I worked rather hard on my presentation.  I had a couple of practice sessions with someone from the HIV Speciality Clinic and my minister.  Both said it was articulate, well paced, a good mix of personal info and HIV facts.  I was really looking forward to it.

Well the presentation was today and it was an absolute frickin' disaster.  Not on my part, but due to the logistics.  I spoke from a stage to a room of people that were wandering from exhibit to exhibit and trying to find the free buffet line.  No chairs were set up for people to sit and listen.  If I had been in my diva mode I would have stormed off stage.  I felt like a carnie at the county fair shouting at the passer by's in tube tops with big hair to play my game and they won't stop because they need a funnel cake.

Personally it was a very good experience for me and continues to move me toward being more of an activist.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: My first attempt at being an activist....a frickin disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:05:08 am »
I felt like a carnie at the county fair shouting at the passer by's in tube tops with big hair to play my game and they won't stop because they need a funnel cake.

:D And they asked you to speak too, how sloppy of them. What did they say to you after all your efforts?  :-\ Well, you can use the speech for the next go-round and it would be ready on short notice too. Mucho thanks to you for helping our cause. A university setting would have been ideal  :-\

I went to a meeting (tried to) at the GMHC but either I was on the wrong floor or had the wrong date and no one seemed to know. It's a large ASO. 12 floors to be exact and a lot of the people there just know "their own little deal" and if you ask about something that's not in their department, you get shrugs and sorry's. Well, I'm gonna try again next month. Last time I was in a voting booth I simply voted all the Democrats

Better luck next time Woods!

Offline med forum

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 06:12:24 am »
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out in terms of logisitics.....you'd think that they would have had the setup right for cryin' out loud! I guess you can look at this as a test run for the future events that you will be a part of! Best of luck to you  ;D
Peace & health

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 06:23:58 am »
Woods, if I took you out of the picture here and put in a British comedian, you might understand why your post made me laugh. NOT at you, but at the ridiculous situation which, of course, in the hands of a good comedian....  I hope that you will be able to 'use' the material in another situation and the format, which sounds solid, will work for you in the correct setting.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 11:25:08 am »
I agree with Win on this one.  These types of things can be PRICELESS.  Just have to have the right analogy to tie them in.  Funny statement followed by a dramatic one to grab attention.

Anyway, sorry it was a mess.  Life is a journey, you just got yourself another story to tell.  Thats how i look at life.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 01:05:05 pm »
Hi Woods,

I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience. It sounds to me like the university was merely playing lip service to hiv awareness.

Thank you for posting about this. For me, it's a heads-up to make sure beforehand exactly how the people responsible are handling the venue and what provisions they have in place. Chairs? Sound-system? Introduction? Room size?

I'm glad to hear this hasn't put you off doing similar in the future. :)

Consolatory hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline woodshere

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 01:29:01 pm »
Thanks all!!.  Definitely has not lessened my desire to do more.

It sounds to me like the university was merely playing lip service to hiv awareness.

As far as information goes they had a large amount regarding types of health related issues and were doing confidential testing.  The people in charge have a sincere interest, just not the organizational know how.

Thanks again,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 03:17:05 pm »
Woods, you have a good healthy attitude about that event.

Embarassment, fear, uncertainty and disappointment are regular cards in the activist deck. What you're doing is way more important than any of those totally understandable feelings, so just keep on. Everything you experience will be useful as you forward and will sharpen your ability to do the work more effectively and to know about organizing things better and better. And still there will always be times when blips happen anyway. That's just  a part of the deal.

That's when having others in your life who know and care about what you're doing. That will help you with getting through the (inevitable) flac.

It's great to know you're out there doing it.

Congrats and well done!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 03:19:33 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 03:23:01 pm »
....Personally it was a very good experience for me and continues to move me toward being more of an activist....

Woods,

That is to me one of the most important thing, because you did it. However hard it was, you went through the whole thing and never give up.

I salute you my friend and cheers to many, many more opportunity for you to make a difference.

Be proud of you. Alain.

Offline bear60

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 03:36:35 pm »
Woods...
You did great in my book too.  Keep doing what makes you happy.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline woodshere

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 04:13:11 pm »
Ahhhhh shucks guys, you're too nice!!!!

Woods

Offline Rainbow1

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 04:48:38 pm »
I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience. I'm glad to hear this hasn't stopped you from doing more in the future

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.