Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:50:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 328
Total: 328

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Severe pain!!  (Read 4229 times)

Offline IgotTigerBlood

Severe pain!!
« on: April 03, 2011, 12:28:24 am »
During my last doctor visit, he said according to my last labs, that I have kidney damage. That took me by complete surprise! He said he couldn't pin-point how severe it was, and there's no way to find out, only during an autopsy, and I'm not planning for one of those any time soon!

He said it's possibly a result from my excessive high blood-pressure/frequent sudden spikes which has been difficult to control. He said my anxiety and blood pressure go hand in hand. Notably, I've always had a severely debilitating anxiety disorder, and given my outrageously unstable living environment, I don't have a chance to decrease my stress any time soon.

I've been taking the right steps to lowering my blood pressure by means of reducing my salt intake to almost completely no salt. I've been drinking more water as well as eating much healthier. Vegetables, fish, and chicken is what my diet consists of mostly now.

So, with that in mind, within the past week or so, I've had these severe spells of dehydration, to the point where I'll chug a whole bottle of water until it's gone, and not even 5 minutes later be dying for thirst again. I've also began to experience this sharp pain above my pubic area to the right(most frequently), and sometimes just the whole area above my pubic area will ache. I'm not sure if it's my bladder, or what, cause when I feel like I have to pee, it hurts even more, and when I go there's only minimal relieve....

I have heightened nausea (more than usual, at least) and my appetite has decreased to some degree.

My last labs were excellent, I'm still undetectable and my cd4 continues to rise near the 800's.

I don't know if there's any correlation with my unstable digestive system, which has been extremely irregular,(SEVERE diarrhea 24/7) since being diagnosed about two years ago. I've refused getting a colonoscopy, finding it was overly invasive, about a year ago, and I was negative for any parasites, according to my fecal exams, shortly after my diagnosis.

It's now constant, 24/7 with no pain relief.

It takes about 5 minutes, after drinking water(a friend recommended I time how long it takes to pee), until I have to pee really bad again. I do pee ALOT!

I have an appointment coming up which I plan to address this to my doctor.

Are my kidney's failing, or do I just have a kidney stone? Is it my medications causing this(Truvada/Isentress), or my HIV?

I don't know how concerned I should be...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:30:57 am by IgotTigerBlood »
You wish you knew...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Severe pain!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 12:38:49 am »
I'm sorry you're going through all of this, but there are all sorts of red flags.  If you are having 24/7 diarrhea, then of course you're dehydrated, and then of course you will have blood pressure issues.  Obviously I'm not a doctor but it all seems potentially related, nor would I hazard what to do but I guess the first step is you need to have the colonoscopy regardless of whether you think it's "too invasive" or not -- do you really find your current predicament non-invasive?  

And about the blood pressure -- are you not taking medication for it?  If it's high then the steps you are taking with salt, etc. are only marginally good.  And for the anxiety disorder what medications are you taking for this?

Otherwise, yes it is possible to experience kidney damage when on Truvada -- it's not common, but it's not unknown either. Can you elaborate on what more you doctor said in that respect?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:42:21 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:14:18 am »
sorry to hear that bud, but have they checked you for diabetes?  i've heard that extreme thirst is a sign of diabetes. 

hope you feel better? 
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline IgotTigerBlood

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:06:54 am »
do you really find your current predicament non-invasive?

Good point. I'll make sure to follow through an appointment if  my Dr. proposes I should do so.

And about the blood pressure -- are you not taking medication for it?

I'm taking 25mg of Hydrochlorot once a day

for the anxiety disorder what medications are you taking for this?

Nothing right now, I'm having some conflicts with my insurance, currently, preventing me from seeing a psychiatrist

yes it is possible to experience kidney damage when on Truvada -- it's not common, but it's not unknown either. Can you elaborate on what more you doctor said in that respect?

I don't know why, but it didn't cross my mind. He said it was most likely due to my high blood pressure, and went on this factual rundown of a horrific dangers of high blood pressure, so I was kind of distracted on what he told me. But, I will make sure to ask him about it my next appointment.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the insight!
You wish you knew...

Offline IgotTigerBlood

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:09:43 am »
sorry to hear that bud, but have they checked you for diabetes?  i've heard that extreme thirst is a sign of diabetes.  

hope you feel better?  

Damn, I didn't even think of Diabetes. God forbid, but that may be a possibility.

Although, they did check me for it once before, and said I didn't have it. But, maybe things can change? I hope not!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:11:50 am by IgotTigerBlood »
You wish you knew...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 05:05:26 am »
Damn, I didn't even think of Diabetes. God forbid, but that may be a possibility.

Although, they did check me for it once before, and said I didn't have it. But, maybe things can change? I hope not!

It is possible to develop diabetes and that was the first thing I also thought of when I read of your ravaging thirst. I too used to suffer from chronic hiv related diarrhea (still do, but it's now under control with a drug) but never experienced that level of thirst. I was thirsty, but not like you describe and it didn't make me pee all the time either when I drank a lot of water - peeing a lot is another hallmark of diabetes. Get that checked out pronto.

And that pain you describe sounds like a possible urinary tract infection. Another thing to get checked out ASAP - untreated UTI can lead to a kidney infection, something you really don't need right now.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :) Hope you get these problems sorted out soon. Like Monday. ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline IgotTigerBlood

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 05:42:06 am »
It is possible to develop diabetes and that was the first thing I also thought of when I read of your ravaging thirst. I too used to suffer from chronic hiv related diarrhea (still do, but it's now under control with a drug) but never experienced that level of thirst. I was thirsty, but not like you describe and it didn't make me pee all the time either when I drank a lot of water - peeing a lot is another hallmark of diabetes. Get that checked out pronto.

And that pain you describe sounds like a possible urinary tract infection. Another thing to get checked out ASAP - untreated UTI can lead to a kidney infection, something you really don't need right now.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. :) Hope you get these problems sorted out soon. Like Monday. ;)

Ann

Yes, THANK you! I think that might be what I'm going through(UTI)! I researched it and practically all of the symptoms described is exactly what I'm going through!

I'm going to go to the hospital! I can't wait until my appointment in a week! and I pray for the best....I'm MADLY scared of hospitals. But, I have to go. It's gotten way more painful since I started this topic. I've literally been crying like a baby, it hurts sooo bad! In a pain scale from 1-10, it's a 50!! I'm really worried......I fear that I've already waited way too long  :'(
You wish you knew...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:26:58 am »
Slow down Tiger, I've had quite a few UTIs in my day and they usually respond to antibiotic treatment pretty quickly. If it has progressed to the point of affecting your kidneys, it should still respond quickly.

Drinking cranberry juice - the real thing like Ocean Spray, not cranberry "drink" - can also help. If you don't like cranberry juice, cranberry extract tablets are also good. You can use this along side your antibiotic (and your hiv meds). Something in the cranberry does something to the lining of your bladder that makes it more difficult for bacteria to cling to, so instead of it hanging around inside of you, you pee the bacteria out.

As I'm prone to UTIs, I have started taking cranberry tablets every day and it does help keep them at bay. They're usually pretty cheap to buy.

Let us know how it goes at the hospital. Please don't be afraid, the medical personelle are there to help you.

Good luck! and feel better soon.

PS - although it is a good idea to drink a lot of water when you have a UTI, extreme thirst is not a symptom of UTI. Make sure you still get the possibility of diabetes checked out.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:29:43 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline IgotTigerBlood

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »
Slow down Tiger, I've had quite a few UTIs in my day and they usually respond to antibiotic treatment pretty quickly. If it has progressed to the point of affecting your kidneys, it should still respond quickly.

Drinking cranberry juice - the real thing like Ocean Spray, not cranberry "drink" - can also help. If you don't like cranberry juice, cranberry extract tablets are also good. You can use this along side your antibiotic (and your hiv meds). Something in the cranberry does something to the lining of your bladder that makes it more difficult for bacteria to cling to, so instead of it hanging around inside of you, you pee the bacteria out.

As I'm prone to UTIs, I have started taking cranberry tablets every day and it does help keep them at bay. They're usually pretty cheap to buy.

Let us know how it goes at the hospital. Please don't be afraid, the medical personelle are there to help you.

Good luck! and feel better soon.

PS - although it is a good idea to drink a lot of water when you have a UTI, extreme thirst is not a symptom of UTI. Make sure you still get the possibility of diabetes checked out.

Thanks! I didn't go to the hospital, though. I ended up sleeping on it; if I should go or not. I think all of the water I've been drinking may have helped a little, since the pain has subsided by about like 50%, since going to sleep.. But, I don't know if it will abruptly relapse into a high pain extravaganza, once again.

I'm definitely gonna try the cranberry juice route! I love that shit!

As well, I'm going to call and try to reschedule for an earlier appointment to see my Doctors

Yes, the medical personal are there to help you, but they can make mistakes like anybody else. My fear comes from somewhere legit.

Also, there are many hospitals that aren't trained appropriately (at least the ones in my immediate area) to care for HIV patients. Most of the ignorance and stigma I'd experienced so far with HIV had mostly occurred in hospitals.

Thanks for the well wishes!

You wish you knew...

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:37:31 pm »
your thirst issues sound like me about 2 years ago. I had that same problem (Dehydration) for 4-6 months and that, coupled with losing 40 lbs, I found out I had diabetes. I have been on insulin every day since then.

Your pain in the pubic region: I had the exact same pain, coupled with urinating every two hours at night.
This turned out to be a Prostate infection. that was cured with a two week Cipro dose.

I hope your pain subsides and you can get the answers your looking for. try not to panic, because that can just make everything worse.
Good luck! Ain't HIV just grand! :)  ??? :-\

All the Best
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline ppp333

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:14:55 pm »
igottigerblood-wishing u all the best...

jeffrey-do u know what causd your diabetes-what medicines were u on...im quite fearful of this and if anyone can give advice on how to avoid this it will be greatly appreciated....hope u have it under control!

Offline IgotTigerBlood

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 12:47:12 am »
your thirst issues sound like me about 2 years ago. I had that same problem (Dehydration) for 4-6 months and that, coupled with losing 40 lbs, I found out I had diabetes. I have been on insulin every day since then.

Your pain in the pubic region: I had the exact same pain, coupled with urinating every two hours at night.
This turned out to be a Prostate infection. that was cured with a two week Cipro dose.

I hope your pain subsides and you can get the answers your looking for. try not to panic, because that can just make everything worse.
Good luck! Ain't HIV just grand! :)  ??? :-\

All the Best
Jeff

Thanks you for your advice, Jeffrey! I'll look the prostate thing because I went to the hospital today, and nothing showed up wrong with me! They said my potassium was a little low, though, and prescribed some pills for that. They said I didn't have diabetes, either. I was medically cleared, but, when I asked why the hell am I going through this excruciating pain she said it might be a UTI but they're not sure, and I'm left clueless.... Your body doesn't scream bloody murder for nothing....

Do they have to give you a prostate exam to find out that you had an infection there, or did they just test your blood for it? Note, I've never had one before, so I don't know.

Thanks.
You wish you knew...

Offline IgotTigerBlood

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:48:33 am »
igottigerblood-wishing u all the best...

Thank you!
You wish you knew...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.