Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:46:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sirs and Dames on SNL  (Read 7116 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Sirs and Dames on SNL
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:30:33 pm »
Just got around to watching Sir Elton and Dame Helen on two SNL episodes.
Anyone else see Elton?
I thought his opening monologue about his baby was in your face pro-gay politics and Bravo!
He did a great job on the whole show.
Helen Mirren's show didn't give me too many laughs, disappointingly.  Still love her though.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

Re: Sirs and Dames on SNL
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:25:14 am »
Watched both.  I thought they were just okay.  Elton without his glasses makes him look much older, because you see the years.  One of the last skits on the Elton show was Elton as a gay cowboy.  I liked the big cowboy french kiss.  I never see guys french kiss as much as I do on SNL.  Elton with Queen Elizabeth was funny. 

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:35:18 am »
I saw both shows also; loved the Elton show, esp. the skit with the royals....

Dame Helen was pretty cute with the comedians, she seemed to be having a great time.

I know I'm getting OLD, because the Foo Fighters sounded awful to me, like a bunch of mish-mash
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:40:50 am »
You are not alone about the froo-froo dolls, i mean Food Fighter I mean..
I skipped over them after hearing 20 seconds of noise.
Elton's punk with the Queen was much better.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:14:48 am »
Are these two SNL shows available online? Links? Please? Pretty Please? With sprinkles and chocolate sauce on top?

I haven't seen SNL in twenty years - since I left the States. I've seen clips on You Tube (when whatsherface was parodying Sarah Palin - good stuff), but never a whole show.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:18:10 am »
Ann I have never been able to see so much of as a 2 minute clip of SNL online - broadcast NBC content its always blocked overseas. 

I download all my American TV because it is quasi legal in Switzerland.  (ah, the "neutral" Swiss!) 

PM me if you are really jonsing.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:20 am »
Are these two SNL shows available online? Links? Please? Pretty Please? With sprinkles and chocolate sauce on top?

I haven't seen SNL in twenty years - since I left the States. I've seen clips on You Tube (when whatsherface was parodying Sarah Palin - good stuff), but never a whole show.

That show has actually gotten good again.  Maybe one year if AMG is held in NYC again, the entire gang can go to see it in person. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:36:20 am »
I've never had a problem viewing any content from NBC - Tedderz is constantly linking to their news broadcasts and they've been viewable.

I was just hoping maybe a whole show was available somewhere. I just watched Elton's opening monologue on You Tube where he talks about his son and it was quite funny. Poor kid - his godmother is Lady GaGa! :o

And duh, don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I suppose I could just go to the NBC site and see if it isn't there. Just being lazy, I guess.  

That show has actually gotten good again.  Maybe one year if AMG is held in NYC again, the entire gang can go to see it in person. 

Yeah, now that you mention it, it did go pretty crap for a while so it's probably actually been more than 20 years since I watched it. It was at its best back in the Chevy Chase/John Belushi days.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:32 am »

Dressed in T-shirts that say:  "Saturday Night...and still live."
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:56 am »
Boo-hiss... I can't watch SNL on the NBC site. Guess they don't mind people in other parts of the world watching their news, but not their entertainment programs. I suppose I could go grab a Yank IP addy from one of those proxy sites, but I can't be bothered right now. Feeling lazy today. I'll just have to stick with the clips on You Tubuals.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 10:18:17 am »
Watching the first seasons on SNL now, I get the feeling I'm watching ancient history. Its as old feeling as when I was a kid and watched I Love Lucy!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
I know I'm getting OLD, because the Foo Fighters sounded awful to me, like a bunch of mish-mash

No they're just terrible.  I guess this is what happens when a drummer from one of the greatest bands  tries to be the lead singer.  Speaking of which, Kurt's suicide happened 17 years ago last week.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 11:55:59 am »
And I spent a few hours reading conspiracy theories on how Courtney killed him.  ???

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 12:14:05 pm »
No they're just terrible.  I guess this is what happens when a drummer from one of the greatest bands  tries to be the lead singer.  Speaking of which, Kurt's suicide happened 17 years ago last week.

Yeah.  But listening to people wax on and on about what a "genius" he was and how much they really "get" him and his distaste for fame and all that mess is almost enough to make me  wanna taste lead.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:43 pm »
And I spent a few hours reading conspiracy theories on how Courtney killed him.  ???

Even her own father says so.  I think the fact he slummed around town all week looking sick, and then bought a shotgun at the local gunshop tells me all I need to know.  Well, that along with the other multiple suicide attempts.

Yeah.  But listening to people wax on and on about what a "genius" he was and how much they really "get" him and his distaste for fame and all that mess is almost enough to make me  wanna taste lead.

His voice was terrible and guitar skills subpar at best.  I guess the pain from a man suffering from bipolar disorder gave voice to the so called neglected generation, Generation X.  I heard them live in 92, after the third set it was absolutely painful-- I had to leave.  I agree, he wasn't all that.

I still don't get how this band overshadowed Layne Staley with Alice in Chains.  Speaking of which, I think Staley's death was 8 years ago last week.   Cantrell and Staley certaily harmonized well together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31a6HQUrAz0

To tie into subject of this thread.... uhhh both bands played on SNL.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »
Even her own father says so.  I think the fact he slummed around town all week looking sick, and then bought a shotgun at the local gunshop tells me all I need to know.  Well, that along with the other multiple suicide attempts.

His voice was terrible and guitar skills subpar at best.  I guess the pain from a man suffering from bipolar disorder gave voice to the so called neglected generation, Generation X.  I heard them live in 92, after the third set it was absolutely painful-- I had to leave.  I agree, he wasn't all that.

I still don't get how this band overshadowed Layne Staley with Alice in Chains.  Speaking of which, I think Staley's death was 8 years ago last week.   Cantrell and Staley certaily harmonized well together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31a6HQUrAz0

To tie into subject of this thread.... uhhh both bands played on SNL.

Good save on the topic derail.  But actually, your mention of Layne Staley makes me realize it probably isn't just a Cobain thing...just more pronounced in his case.  Any time you get such unfortunate situations, it seems to inspire legions of people to blather on and on like they personally knew the guy and have ever such profound insights into it all.

It just wears me out.  It's just me being grumpy.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 01:30:23 pm »
I remember some bands' performances clear as day.  Hi-lighted a few below.

Memorable ones MISSING from the DVD set below:

Kate Bush: http://www.wat.tv/video/kate-bush-the-man-with-the-2mg39_2ibet_.html

Fear:  http://www.wideo.fr/video/iLyROoafvXes.html

Bowie with Klaus Nomi
http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/165120/detail/

Bonus tie-in - The Man Who Sold the World
Nirvana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8  (and not SNL)

The appeal of Kurt Cobain - DUH. He was the "it boy" of grunge.  Purdy purdy purdy purdy boy!

Just a few bands from the past:  

Saturday Night Live 25 years of Music.

Volume 1
Billy Joel Only The Good Die Young 1978, Ray Charles What'd I Say 1975, Carly Simon You're So Vain 1976, Grateful Dead Casey Jones 1978, Simon & Garfunkel The Boxer 1975, Joe Cocker Feelin Alright 1975, Elvis Costello Less Than Zero / Radio Radio 1977, Blues Brothers Soul Man 1978, Patti Smith Gloria 1976, Mick Jagger & Peter Tosh Don't Look Back 1978, The Band The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 1976

Volume 2
Tina Turner Better Be Good to Me 1985, James Brown I Got You 1980, Queen Crazy Little Thing Called Love 1982, Randy Newman I Love L.A. 1983, The Go Go's We Got the Beat 1981, Rick James Super Freak 1981, Talking Heads Take Me To The River 1979, Spinal Tap Big Bottom 1984, John Mellencamp Pink Houses 1983, Duran Duran Hungry Like The Wolf 1983

Volume 3
The Bangles Hazy Shade of Winter 1988, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Free Falin' 1989, Paul Simon Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes 1986, Neil Young Rockin' in the Free World 1989, Roy Orbison O Pretty Woman 1987, Pretenders Don't Get Me Wrong 1986, Fine Young Cannibals She Drives Me Crazy 1989, Sting We'll Be Together 1987, Elvis Costello Veronica 198

Volume 4
R.E.M. Losing My Religion 1991, Sinead O'Connor War 1992, Madonna Fever 1993, Aretha Franklin Chain of Fools 1994, Eric Clapton Wonderful Tonight 1990, Nirvana Rape Me 1993, Paul McCartney Hey Jude 1993, En Vogue Free Your Mind 1992, Counting Crows Round Here 1994, Bruce Springsteen Living Proof 1992, Live I Alone 1995 Blind Melon No Rain 1994

Volume 5
Mariah Carey Butterfly 1997, No Doubt Don't Speak 1996, Alanis Morissette Hand In My Pocket 1995, Spice Girls Wannabe 1997, Garbage Special 1999, Jewel Who Will Save Your Soul 1997, Hanson Mmm Bop 1997, Beck Where It's At 1997, Snoop Doggy Dog Snoop's Upside Upside Your Head 1997, Metallica Fuel 1997, Garth Brooks Two Piña Coladas 1998, Dave Matthews Band What Would You Say 1995, Backstreet Boys All I Have To Give 1999, Ricky Martin Livin' La Vida Loca 1999, Paula Cole I Don't Want To Wait 1998

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 01:42:56 pm »
Elton without his glasses makes him look much older, because you see the years. 

Well he is old honey. Thank god. I feel old and I remember listening to him when I was boy. So he must be 100  ;D

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 01:58:14 pm »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 08:24:23 pm »
I was expecting more from Elton.

When will we see more Stefon! He needs to be a weekly appearance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaUUG2WRW5s&feature=related
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 11:35:52 pm »
Ann, are you able to watch the links below from hulu.com?  Or, are they blocked?  NBC is part owner in hulu, so I went there and found the full episodes.  By the way, I must have fallen asleep during the Helen Mirren episode, because I missed the part where she gets a hot female on female kiss.  It's usually the guys on SNL doing all the kissing.  This was after the skit where the SNL female performers wanted to touch her breasts and went into this Heaven bliss state.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/229596/saturday-night-live-helen-mirren

http://www.hulu.com/watch/225437/saturday-night-live-elton-john

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 03:37:30 pm »
I wasn't sure how old Sir Elton is, so I had to look him up (on Who's Alive, Who's Dead, my go-to source for people's ages and birthdates); he just turned 64.   Kind of old to have a new infant, it seems to me; how old is the partner?  20 years or so younger?   Well, they say 60 is the new 40; 50 the new 30, etc.   I don't think that applies to us AIDSy folks though....I know my 54 sure as hell isn't 34..... :D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.