Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:39:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 322
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 317
Total: 318

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Father, our heart breaks for America."  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
"Father, our heart breaks for America."
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:45:06 pm »
This reminds me of one of Matty's brilliant parodies. The sad thing is that it's not a parody.

Perry Leads Prayer Rally for ‘Nation in Crisis’

HOUSTON — Standing on a stage surrounded by thousands of fellow Christians on Saturday morning, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas called on Jesus to bless and guide the nation’s military and political leaders and “those who cannot see the light in the midst of all the darkness.”

“Lord, you are the source of every good thing,” Mr. Perry said, as he bowed his head, closed his eyes and leaned into a microphone at Reliant Stadium here. “You are our only hope, and we stand before you today in awe of your power and in gratitude for your blessings, and humility for our sins. Father, our heart breaks for America. We see discord at home. We see fear in the marketplace. We see anger in the halls of government, and as a nation we have forgotten who made us, who protects us, who blesses us, and for that we cry out for your forgiveness.”

Continued . . .

LINK:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/us/politics/07prayer.html?hp

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: "Father, our heart breaks for America."
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:03:29 pm »
Below is the last half of the New York Times OP-ED piece regarding this event.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/06/opinion/how-to-respond-to-rick-perrys-response.html?hp

How to Respond to Rick Perry and ‘The Response’

...Politicians who invoke their faith to lure religious voters benefit from this paralysis. Consider Mitt Romney. When questioned by voters during the last presidential campaign about his Mormon faith, Mr. Romney commendably refused to disavow it. But he also refused to discuss it in any detail, claiming that would impose a religious test on his candidacy.

This double standard needs to end. If religion can’t be forbidden in our public debates, even for elected officials, neither should it be immune from public criticism. And in the case of Mr. Perry and “The Response,” there are good reasons to be critical.

Mr. Perry is free to call a meeting where only people who agree that Jesus Christ is the one true savior are welcome. Many Christian politicians understandably share that belief — but few of them commence potential presidential campaigns that way. They believe that all Americans, regardless of faith, have a role to play in making this a more perfect union. We are entitled to shun any politician who rejects that approach.

We should question the prayer service’s tone, too. Other politicians have invoked prayer in times of trouble; Abraham Lincoln was one of them. But with characteristic humility, Lincoln called for repentance, not sectarian struggle. He saw human inequality and cruelty as the real sin against God. By emphasizing creeds, not deeds, Mr. Perry encourages the very divisions that Lincoln believed lay at the root of America’s ills.

Finally, we’re entitled to judge Mr. Perry’s association with the prayer service’s organizers. Many people, religious and otherwise, reject the views of the American Family Association, a principal organizer of the event whose vitriolic stances on issues like gay rights have led the Southern Poverty Law Center to call it a “hate group.” Mr. Perry has tried to distance himself from some of these views. But we can certainly ask why he has embraced those who hold them.

Some people think we would be better off without religion in public life. In the long run, however, we would lose much more than we gain. Our debates may be more contentious if we allow religion in, but they will also be more committed and honest. Just as the Constitution allows Mr. Perry to stake his political future on “The Response,” it allows the rest of us to answer back.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:11:15 pm »
I've spent entirely too much time near this man. We went to the same university, live in the same town...but as much as I would like for him to get the fuck out of Texas, I don't want him moving into the White House. Anyone reading this is hereby forbidden to vote for this bigoted clown.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 10:25:29 pm »
So it has come to appeals to dieties, has it? Brilliant plan! I suggest they cover all bases and make offerings to every deity. Odin, Zeus, Ahura Mazdā... get them all on board. I hope they have an internet feed when they sacrifice a virgin, although finding a volcano in Texas may be problematic. Matty can advise them on the particulars of persuading Cthulhu to smite their enemies. It is not as if anyone has ever asked invisible creatures to alter the physical laws of the universe for the benefit of their tribe before. This Perry fellow is obviously presidential timber... or at least Grand Poohbah.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 10:31:51 pm »
Whew, its reassuring knowing that when they throw the virgin in the volcano all you dirty sinners will be safe.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »
Whew, its reassuring knowing that when they throw the virgins in the volcano all you dirty sinners will be safe.
Dayummm, I hope I don't get thrown in the volcano.  ::)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »
He should pray for some fucking rain; O WAIT he already tried that ealier in the summer and it FAILED so I don't know what he thinks he's going to accomplish. What a waste of my money. God's got to be getting a chuckle out of this.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »
Perry was a brilliant student at A&M (not). Apparently he only received 2 A's during his tenure there, mostly C's and D's otherwise. Mind you A&M is no Harvard or Yale, so clearly he's pretty stump-dumb.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Basquo

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 11:04:58 pm »
Perry was a brilliant student at A&M (not). Apparently he only received 2 A's during his tenure there, mostly C's and D's otherwise. Mind you A&M is no Harvard or Yale, so clearly he's pretty stump-dumb.

-W

Steady there, Mister. A&M is a pretty tough school.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 11:14:26 pm »
Steady there, Mister. A&M is a pretty tough school.

PUHleaze! Now UT is a school.

Hook-Em  ;D
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 11:22:36 pm »
Oh, PUH-leaze, yourself. You're talking to a 2nd-generation Aggie. Did you go to A&M? No? Well then you have no idea. You t-sips are all alike. I bet you can't even mix a drink while driving a car.

Gig 'em!  ;)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 11:24:33 pm »
I bet you can't even mix a drink while driving a car.

Um Ok. you win.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:02:03 am »

I bet you can't even mix a drink while driving a car.

Um Ok. you win.

Since when do you have to mix white Zin? I thought you just had to cut a hole in the box.....

Ooops, on reflection, I thought I was talking to another one of you southern boys. Y'all look alike anyway, even the ones who qualify as southern more by the colour of their neck than by the location of their neck. ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:04:54 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:43:31 am »
Since when do you have to mix white Zin? I thought you just had to cut a hole in the box.....

Ooops, on reflection, I thought I was talking to another one of you southern boys. Y'all look alike anyway, even the ones who qualify as southern more by the colour of their neck than by the location of their neck. ;D

O Ya, Wolfter and I look so much alike, and Ohio is so much in the South.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »
O Ya, Wolfter and I look so much alike, and Ohio is so much in the South.

Actually it was the Wumpster and Wolfie I got confused, not you and Wolfie. And Wolfie's done time in WVA, so that, in the mind of someone who grew up in NE OH, qualifies as southern of a certain neck colour. :P ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 01:28:09 pm »
Southern Ohio seems very "southern", just like southern Illinois does. Just because a state wasn't treasonous and deserving of military humiliation and economic destruction is no reason to dismiss the cultural leanings of border areas.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 03:20:29 pm »
Southern Ohio seems very "southern", just like southern Illinois does. Just because a state wasn't treasonous and deserving of military humiliation and economic destruction is no reason to dismiss the cultural leanings of border areas.

Thanks!  I think?  Our little hometown of Portland, OH saw the only civil war battle in Ohio.  The battle of Bufflington Island.  It was an important crossing point across the Ohio River for the confederacy.  They just couldn't out how to fight us in them there hills.  We're mighty fine with them sling shots as long as we have our banjo music.

Done time in WVA?   LMAO, like it was a sentence?  I was borned there and still consider it my home state.  Certainly better than this northern half of Ohio where inbreeding seems to be a family tradition. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:22:38 pm by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 03:35:42 pm »

Done time in WVA?   LMAO, like it was a sentence?  I was borned there and still consider it my home state.  Certainly better than this northern half of Ohio where inbreeding seems to be a family tradition.  

My father is from Huntington and graduated from Marshall, and my grandfather's family was all from across the river in Ohio so yes I know that area (unfortunately).

Offline elf

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 04:50:14 pm »
Ms Palin just got back from India, apparently she bought some Tea for her party.  ;D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 11:37:04 am »
"Rick Perry -- 2012 -- Not a Mormon"

Good read from James Moore...

the whole piece is good, but LOL @ this:

"As a resident of Texas for 36 years, I keep wondering why the rest of the nation pays any attention to our political and cultural absurdities and yet still chooses Texans as presidents. Our most revered historical moment, the Alamo, was arguably a mass suicide. The slaughter in San Antonio was followed by a massacre at Goliad, the fall of the Confederacy to Union forces, and later by the Houston Astros. Texas has a legacy of losing."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/11/moore.perry.candidate/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 12:04:57 pm »
Rick Perry's connections to the NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) are very crazy and troubling. Picture extreme southern fundamental Baptists or something.  ::) Rachel Maddow did a report about the ties (http://tinyurl.com/3kskff8 and http://tinyurl.com/3e5cacl) between Perry, the NAR, and this prayer event.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 01:50:22 am »
lolwut

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 02:20:55 am »
This thread speaks volumes about how America has lost it's way. And with America stumbling around in the moral darkness is it any wonder that the rest of the world has gone to heck?

Natural disasters lay waste to Japan, Australia, New Zealand and numerous other vassal states. Darkies riot in the streets of London and England's smaller regional centres. The garlic eaters of Europe have finally gone broke.

Oh, brothers and sisters, truly we live in End Times.

I was speaking to my good friend Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council just yesterday via the electric telephone and we agreed that the news of Godly Rick Perry taking up the cudgels on behalf of Jesus couldn't have come at a better time.

It's just a shame dear Rick can't belt out a real prayer. But with all the executions of retards and coloreds he has to preside over, I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt.

If any of you loathesome sodomites has any sense you'll bow your head with me in prayer:

Heavenly Father, we thank you for not killing us today.

We know that we are vile and unworthy and we offer up praises to you for the timely rebuke of AIDS which you have visited upon us for the wicked sins of touchin' and lickin'.

We thank you for bringing this forum back online even though it is run by Demonkrats, Northern Liebrals and perverts.

Forgive the redundancy.

We pray that you will raise your true servant, Godly Rick Perry of Texas, up to the Office of President of the United States.

We have no doubt that the travails of the last few years are your way of telling us that it's one thing to have a negro mowing the lawns at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, but quite another to have one living there, struttin' around as though he owns the place.

We hope that you will send a timely warning to Mrs Bachmann that whilst her intentions are good, her place is not running for office but rather being back in the kitchen fixing hearty victuals for her husband as he goes about curing ass-monkeys of the hobby of homosexuality.

It seems that some folks, they just don't know their place.

Speaking of which, could you send Miss P a timely dose of butt herpes? She's been getting uppity of late.

In Jesus Name we pray!

Amen

MtD

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:22:39 am by Matty the Damned »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 07:06:06 am »
Rick Perry's connections to the NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) are very crazy and troubling. Picture extreme southern fundamental Baptists or something.  ::) Rachel Maddow did a report about the ties (http://tinyurl.com/3kskff8 and http://tinyurl.com/3e5cacl) between Perry, the NAR, and this prayer event.

I watched her reports.
Scary business.
I hope a real batshit crazy like Bachmann or Perry is the Republican candidate, just as long as Obama finally wins. Or some better independent but that doesn't seem to be happening.  Rosanne Barr is batshit crazy.

If some dipshit like Perry or Bachmann has to duke it out for months, all the craziness of the candidate and his/her ilk will be shit to a fan and maybe the shitsplattered country will stop taking crazies seriously and even giving them JOBS and POWER.

It wil be tricky for Obama because he does suffer fools.  Also has his own hypocrisies (he's a religious man? oh please.  Has a problem with gay marriage - don't think so, etc) and he is too thin skinned to laugh them off.

That bat shit competition will casually and successfully deflect any claim they are bat shit, by the way. Which is the problem.  These people need to be NAILED to their tinfoil hat beliefs and nostalgic/oppressive social engineering.

The New Yorker bio of Bachmann was good.  But a New Yorker article means shit nationwide.  All of this needs to be examined, and better if its like ants under a magnifying glass so their attraction and credibility burns up under the scrutiny.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:12:10 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 08:40:30 am »
Thank you Matty and Miss P, those two posts made my morning. A perfect blend of words and pictar.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 01:16:20 pm »
Good ole Rick -- he's outflanking Mittens in Crazy Land by calling the Federal Reserve Chairman a traitor. Tea time!

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:44 pm »
Good ole Rick -- he's outflanking Mittens in Crazy Land by calling the Federal Reserve Chairman a traitor. Tea time!

Rickie baby at his best.  I think the Fed Chairman knows a bit more about economics than R.P. ever will.  The tea party clan will meet their demise in due time. 

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:36 pm »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:01 pm »

HOLY SHIT!  

Check that guy in the corner out... wonder what he is really thinking?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:00 pm »
It's the first thing I've seen from Miss Bachmann that I could identify with.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 01:48:56 pm »
Nine inches down and only 9 more to go.  Very impressive!!

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »
Blow the gay away?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:52 pm »
HOLY SHIT!  

Check that guy in the corner out... wonder what he is really thinking?

Now thats what I call talent.  A woman after my own heart.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 09:34:42 am »
The tea party clan will meet their demise in due time. 

I wouldn't be so sure. I remember thinking back in the early 80s (when Regan first got elected) that the religious right aka the "Moral Majority" couldn't, wouldn't last. I thought they'd be laughed off the country's political stage. Not only has the trend lasted, but they're getting worse and becoming more powerful by the day. It's frightening.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 05:31:03 pm »
they're getting worse and becoming more powerful by the day. It's frightening.

It is frightening.  Just think about living in a state where, in one swoop, the governor signs bills to de-fund Planned Parenthood, and use taxpayer money to give vouchers to kids so they can attend private (yes, private) school.  And in the city I live in, the city has decided to buy the land a Family Dollar is on, close the store, and give (yes give) the land to a Catholic high school so they can build a football field on it. This is going to be bought with taxpayer's money. Very frightening. (Luckily, though, a judge has blocked the law that de-funded Planned Parenthood, but of course the attorney general has vowed appeal).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 06:45:12 pm »
Now we can understand rational people in muslim countries who detest their own homegrown religious fanatics.

Pity there is not a great landmass where we could ship all the koran and bible bangers together to some new Eden, and let them annihilate each other.

What I've read and seen on Perry's and Bachmann's culty sources of motivation is bone chilling.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.