Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:13:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773217
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 499
Total: 501

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Radiesse Or Sculptra When Choosing A Temp. Filler For Mild Lipoatrophy  (Read 18507 times)

Offline Betty

I am seriously considering a temp. filler for my grade 1 Lipoatrophy of the face. Can anyone tell me which is considered better for facial lipoatrophy and why ?  Thanks for all your imput and advice.

Offline ARMANDO

Re: Radiesse Or Sculptra When Choosing A Temp. Filler For Mild Lipoatrophy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:17:23 am »
well radiesse is not permanent,sculptra(bio-alcamid is and so is pmma

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: Radiesse Or Sculptra When Choosing A Temp. Filler For Mild Lipoatro
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 04:50:40 pm »
BTW  Scultra is considered  "temporary"  I am part of a 5 yr study..( in the second year now) and I can tell you it is definitely "temporary"....it fades slowly  and can be refreshed..the study is to determine the typical "refresh" time...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline bobino

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:23:58 am »

Sculptra is definitely not permanent.  It's probably fine if you have mild lipoatrophy, but it won't be cost-effective if your condition looks like it's progressing.  I've had many, many Sculptra treatments, and while the product works, I'm now heading to Tijuana for PMMA treatment.  I simply can't afford to get my face refilled constantly, so I've opted for something permanent.  Mind you, my lipo is progressing pretty fast, so you may be in a different situation.

Hope this helps.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline krh

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:25:25 pm »
Hi Betty:

I am in a similiar situation to you.  I've been HIV + for over 4 years and have only been on ATRIPLA for a couple of years.  THe last year I have notice some lypo in my face (not much) and my butt).  I have had people asking me if I have lost weight (being fully clothed) where I have actually gained weight (I am 5'11, about 200 lbs).  So it is mild but I was thinking of getting something to combat the mild lypo.

Any info you come across please let me know, or experiences.

krh

Offline riverlassie

• Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:54:33 am »
I had the sculptra done going on 18 months ago now. There is a program with the company that you can obtain the filler for free . And what you work out with the doc is up to the doc.  Am i totally satisfied with the result? Well if your expecting to look like you did when you were young and fresh  you'll be disappointed. But to take away the sunken in cheeks , it does work . You may feel a slight bumpyness but when I compare what I look like now to before there is a nice difference. Will I go for additiona treatments? I don't know at this time. But it will be available free again after 2 years , so who knows..........
Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
Betty:
If you do choose Sculptra you can contact the Patient Access Program by calling 866-310-7551, they have a menu of options including having an application faxed to you.  I started the process for financial assistance and finding an approved cosmetic surgeon and it took me about 4 weeks.  I decided on Sculptra after hearing from an acquaintance that he had it done for no cost and he looked great.  I have had 6 treatments so far, as I had a lot of facial fat loss, and am very pleased with the results.  Radiesse does not last as long as Sculptra and my cosmetic surgeon said it would not be a good filler for the amount of restoration I required and would not recommend it as to treat HIV wasting as it would absorb too quickly.  There must be some reason the FDA approved Sculptra as the only filler for HIV wasting, although Radiesse is fairly new and Sculptra has been in use for years.  I have a few friends that have had the treatments and we are all pleased with the results and one friend has gone 2 years and required 2 further treatments,  after about 18 months, and all of us are pleased with the results. I think it appears to last differently on each person based on viral load, meds., diet, etc.  Hopefully we will get approval of fillers that are permanent and that insurance will cover.
Whatever you choose, my best wishes.
Ron G
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:01:33 pm by RonG20YRSpoz »
20 years with HIV, 10 years with HCV and still rocking.  Do yourselves a favor, do a lot of research on reputable sites, find a multidisciplinary care team, think POZ., no more fun drugs booze, eat well, enjoy good safe sex a lot, and network in forums like this where there some people with knowledge.  Otherwise get a health care advocate through your local A.S.O.   Smile and be adventurous.  Help your peers and my best to you all!

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 10:15:05 pm »
Hello All,

Here is my experience

I also had mild facial wasting at the temples and just below the checks. I had a total of three Sculptra treatments by an excellent plastic surgeon.  I waited several years before taking the plunge.   I know Scupltra is a temporary filler but I was drawn to it because it promotes natural collagen production and last longer than Radiese.  I had  concerns about infection, natural blood flow and scarring (keloids) from multiple injections since I have medium brown skin.  I understand that treatment results vary based on the grade of wasting, facial features, skin thickness, weight and so forth.

I am happy to report that my facial results after the last treatment four months ago remain amazing and I am very pleased. I have no scarring.  Even the doctor was amazed at the correction results. I did feel a few bumps under my skin at the temples that were not noticeable to the eye. My doctor told me to vigorously message the bumpy area. 

I must make a point here, though. My facial wasting stopped progressing ten years ago.  People also told me how young I looked before the treatments. It was the lean look, I guess.  Since I had the wasting, I was not able to see what I would have naturally looked like as I aged since everything sort of just stopped. So I guess the face I see now, although fuller, is what would have happened. I had the Sculptra treatments because I  just wanted to get rid of the indentations at the temples and the checks. Now I and others think that I look better and well rested.

I also used the assistance program (no charge for the vials) when I was unemployed, without a hitch.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 10:16:49 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:24:10 am »
Tampa:
Just curious how much area of your temples was treated?  I have been watching my temples slowly sink... and veins slowly start to protrude for the last 2 or 3 years.  I would very much like to find some type of filler that could fill out my temples.  So far the only thing I've heard of that works well is liquid silicone.  I'm still reluctant to try it, but if this continues for another year, I figure my lifespan would probably be shorter than the time that the silicone might start migrating... so may as well get it done.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 09:28:33 pm »
Mitch,

I had what I considered fairly deep indentations at the temples although I had no veins showing since I have thick skin. I do have very high cheekbones which made the indentations even more noticeable, though.  I had the temples completely filled in with a  little overfill that the doctor suggested I message vigorously in anticipation of the space becoming level.  It did and that area of my head looks really smooth and level at the edge of the eyes on back. I now have no noticeable indentations and that skeleton head look has disappeared.

I will see how long the treatments last.

I hope this helps you as you decide on your treatment.

Take care.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.