Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:39:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 327
Total: 328

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested Positive March 21st 2009  (Read 11642 times)

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
Tested Positive March 21st 2009
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:10:47 pm »
Tcells at 374
Viral Infection at 109,000
What all that means, I dont know.
Im 29 years old
Boyfriend of 7 years tested Negative.
Times are hard right now.....still in shock.... :'(
3/21/09 - Tested Poz   Tcells/374   VL/109,000
9/02/09 - Tcells/290  VL/189,000
9/11/09 - Approved for ADAP
9/15/09 - Started Truvada, Isentress and Kaletra
6/15/11 - Undetectable - (On same meds as above)
7/20/11 - Started Atripla
12/10/13 - Tcells/620 - VL/0

Offline nycvisitor

Re: Tested Positive March 21st 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:30:26 pm »
I know you are shocked, but things will be ok. People are living a normal life when they take their meds, see their doctors etc...

Did you cheat on your BF, or was it through drug use etc?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 02:36:51 pm »

nycvisitor -- that's an inappropriate question and you should not be posting[/b] in this section of the aidsmeds forums.  Please go and read the Welcome Thread in the Am I Infected section.  I'm reporting this post to the moderators and suggest that ocbuy79 ignore you.

btw, ocguy79 -- welcome to the AIDSmeds forums and I'm sorry that you had to encounter something like this on your very first post on the board.  It's not normally like this here.  I'm sorry that you just tested positive though, but we're all here to lend you some support.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:38:28 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 02:38:17 pm »
I know you are shocked, but things will be ok. People are living a normal life when they take their meds, see their doctors etc...

We parted for 4 months...then got back together. No drugs involved.

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 02:40:49 pm »
nycvisitor -- that's an inappropriate question and you should not be posting[/b] in this section of the aidsmeds forums.  Please go and read the Welcome Thread in the Am I Infected section.  I'm reporting this post to the moderators and suggest that ocbuy79 ignore you.

btw, ocguy79 -- welcome to the AIDSmeds forums and I'm sorry that you had to encounter something like this on your very first post on the board.  It's not normally like this here.  I'm sorry that you just tested positive though, but we're all here to lend you some support.
Thank you for the welcome Miss Philicia :)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 02:47:59 pm »
No problem.  If you want a quick course on HIV and treatment issues, go to the top of this page and click on "Treatment" and then "Lessons" -- but of course we're always here to answer any additional questions.

How are otherwise in terms of support during your first week, month etc.?  The mental component of having HIV should not be overlooked.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 02:52:46 pm »
NYC Visitor, you have broken a cardinal rule of this site.

You are HIV negative and you are not supposed to be commenting in HIV+ Forums. Your questions are incredibly insensitive and totally out-of-line.

Don't do anything like this again or you will be banned from the site.

Consider yourself warned. I've also sent this message via PM just in case you miss it here.
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 03:00:07 pm »
OC, now that we've gotten that ridiculous bit of rudeness out of the way, let's get back to focusing on you.

Being shocked is par for the course at the beginning when you test positive. We're glad you found your way here. You'll find a lot of people here who've been where you are right now and will share their knowledge and experience with you.

It's important for you to get a doctor you can be partners with in keeping you healthy and regularly monitoring your numbers. They are likely to jump around for a while before a clear sense of where you are at can be determined. So give it some months for settling down.

You don't have to rush to do anything right now. Give yourself time to get adjusted to this new time in your life. Gradually you will learn what you need to. Just as a general piece of information I'll say that if you're having anal intercourse, make sure that whoever is the insertive partner is always wearing a condom. No exceptions. You need to know that there are thousands of sero-discordant couples who are having good lives together in every way including sexually.

You're always welcome here to ask questions and to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Again, welcome. 
Andy Velez

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 03:11:05 pm »
OC, now that we've gotten that ridiculous bit of rudeness out of the way, let's get back to focusing on you.

Being shocked is par for the course at the beginning when you test positive. We're glad you found your way here. You'll find a lot of people here who've been where you are right now and will share their knowledge and experience with you.

It's important for you to get a doctor you can be partners with in keeping you healthy and regularly monitoring your numbers. They are likely to jump around for a while before a clear sense of where you are at can be determined. So give it some months for settling down.

You don't have to rush to do anything right now. Give yourself time to get adjusted to this new time in your life. Gradually you will learn what you need to. Just as a general piece of information I'll say that if you're having anal intercourse, make sure that whoever is the insertive partner is always wearing a condom. No exceptions. You need to know that there are thousands of sero-discordant couples who are having good lives together in every way including sexually.

You're always welcome here to ask questions and to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Again, welcome. 
Thank you Andy,
I do have a really good doctor down here who's majority of patiants are HIV as he is a gay doctor himself.
I am signing up for a HIV Reserch program starting in april. That will help with the cost for now as well.

Offline positivmat

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:03:42 pm »
Hey ocguy,
Welcome to the forum.  I have been diagnosed for almost 8 weeks now.  I am still have a tough time, but it does get better with time.  Get yourself a good support system in place.  Talk, write out your feelings on paper and on this forum.  It has helped me a lot to have a place to write about my feelings and sort of give them air and let them dissipate here.  Do what you have to do.  Scheduling some time to do something other than think about this all the time helps too.  It helped me to focus on my non-hiv positive life too.  I dived right into total research mode and read up on the meds and clinical stuff.  If you have insurance problems, you might try getting in a group plan through a chamber of commerce or something.  You don't have to worry about a waiting period, pre-existing conditions or anything like that.  Hope that your adjustment to this goes well and if you need anything, you can feel free to pm me.
matt

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 04:54:10 pm »
Hey ocguy,
Welcome to the forum.  I have been diagnosed for almost 8 weeks now.  I am still have a tough time, but it does get better with time.  Get yourself a good support system in place.  Talk, write out your feelings on paper and on this forum.  It has helped me a lot to have a place to write about my feelings and sort of give them air and let them dissipate here.  Do what you have to do.  Scheduling some time to do something other than think about this all the time helps too.  It helped me to focus on my non-hiv positive life too.  I dived right into total research mode and read up on the meds and clinical stuff.  If you have insurance problems, you might try getting in a group plan through a chamber of commerce or something.  You don't have to worry about a waiting period, pre-existing conditions or anything like that.  Hope that your adjustment to this goes well and if you need anything, you can feel free to pm me.
matt
Thank you matt. My mother sent me this link. I think its a great site

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:50 pm »
OC guy- You are in the exact same situation as I was. I was diagnosed last March at age 28 and my levels were almost coincidentally similar to yours.  First, do as much research as you can.  Surprisingly, it doesn't take long to get the basics of where we are with HIV/AIDS in 2009, although the education is ongoing.  Be happy and thankful that it is 2009.  I hope you can have a core group of whether it be friends, family, or a support group in which you can express/discuss everything relating to this.  I am so thankful(after being terrified to tell everyone) that my family and friends are sticking by me.  I often discuss my feelings, their feelings, educate them, and everything in between. Most importantly to you, I know where you are mentally at this moment. Remember to breath and try to be rational with it.  I'm not sure if you were like me, but I kind of had a feeling going in what the results would be.  I ended up on meds a few months later and I'm already undetectable. It is absolutely amazing how far science and advancement in the cure for this often shameful and dreadful (in the gay community) disease has come. I am thankful everyday.  Keep a positive outlook on life.  Life for me has not changed, I am just adapting to what bumps are in the road, this one will just be with me forever. It's okay. I hope you are doing well.

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:46:54 pm »
OC guy- You are in the exact same situation as I was. I was diagnosed last March at age 28 and my levels were almost coincidentally similar to yours.  First, do as much research as you can.  Surprisingly, it doesn't take long to get the basics of where we are with HIV/AIDS in 2009, although the education is ongoing.  Be happy and thankful that it is 2009.  I hope you can have a core group of whether it be friends, family, or a support group in which you can express/discuss everything relating to this.  I am so thankful(after being terrified to tell everyone) that my family and friends are sticking by me.  I often discuss my feelings, their feelings, educate them, and everything in between. Most importantly to you, I know where you are mentally at this moment. Remember to breath and try to be rational with it.  I'm not sure if you were like me, but I kind of had a feeling going in what the results would be.  I ended up on meds a few months later and I'm already undetectable. It is absolutely amazing how far science and advancement in the cure for this often shameful and dreadful (in the gay community) disease has come. I am thankful everyday.  Keep a positive outlook on life.  Life for me has not changed, I am just adapting to what bumps are in the road, this one will just be with me forever. It's okay. I hope you are doing well.
Wow! already undetectible? Does your insurance cover the meds?

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 11:43:03 pm »
Wow! already undetectible? Does your insurance cover the meds?

I was terrified of the costs and thank god my mother is fully supporting me and has been paying for them. But my meds are $140 for a 3 month supply. After doing some research from the 80's, 90's, and even today... that is still no reason to complain. I'm just happy my mother is able to help me out with all the bills that comes along with being a positive male. I hope my post helped put things into perspective. I've always been pretty rational about situations.

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 12:49:54 am »
Thanks everyone!

Offline jampdx

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 03:54:00 am »
Tcells at 374
Viral Infection at 109,000
What all that means, I dont know.
Im 29 years old
Boyfriend of 7 years tested Negative.
Times are hard right now.....still in shock.... :'(

OC, I was diagnosed about a 1 1/2 months ago and I'm 29 as well.  I'm still very much in shock also and maybe we can support each other.  Feel free to PM me and I'm glad you found the forum.

Jacob
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Infected 1/6/2009
Positive 2/9/2009
3/8/2009:  CD4 603  VL f\'d up by lab and having to redraw
4/7/2009 CD4 650 VL 348
6/24/2009 cd4 964 VL 850
9/26/2009 CD4 546 VL 822
7/22/13 CD4 1080 VL 2,220
6/30:2018 CD4 780 VL Undetectable

Offline HereIAm

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 07:26:49 pm »
Hello OC Guy:

I am so sorry you are here.  I was completely shocked when I learned about my diagnosis.  Though, I was quite sick, so, at least I knew and had some options to help.

The medicine is amazing.  My initial VL was 770,709!!!   But, it is now undetectable.  Keep your chin up.  Make friends on here.  Make friends in real life, too.  See a therapist if you need to to sort through this stuff.  Find out what your resources are:  check with your local ASO (AIDS Service Organization).  They are a great help, usually.

You may also PM me here, as well. 

Regards,

HereIAm
Tested Positive 10 Sept 2008.
24 Sept 2008:  CD 4: 23;   1%;  VL: 770,709
1st Oct 2008:  Started Atripla
4 Dec 2008:  CD 4: 145; 8%, VL: 209
1 March 2009:  CD 4: 91; 8%, VL: 49 (undet)
1 June 2009:  CD 4: 164; 11%, VL: 61
8 July 2011:  CD 4: 286; 17%, VL Undet
28 Oct 2011: CD 4: 346; 21%, VL Undet
2 Mar 2012: CD 4: 316; 20%, VL 6800 (probably an error)
12 Apr 2012: CD 4: 333; 21%, VL Undet

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 08:36:47 pm »
Welcome OcGuy,

Ive been poz for a little over a year. The shock of finding out is still fresh in my mind...so I can empathize with your feelings right now. The thing that helped me most was going through the lessons on here Under the "treatment" tab....seriously dont overlook it, it helps tremendously.

My numbers are actually pretty close to yours at the moment. I can tell you from experience that the numbers bounce around ALOT and your doctors will probably want to get 2 or 3 tests under your belt to establish a good baseline.

I was terribly naive when I was diagnosed and thought that HIV meant immediate AIds and then death. Nothing could be farther from the truth...the meds available today have turned HIV into a manageable chronic condition, with a near normal lifespan. Today I feel fine, I look the same, and my penis has not fallen off :)

Relax and take some time to go through the lessons and get a handle on what the numbers mean, etc... and ask anything you like no matter how trivial, there are no stupid questions. The people here are a Godsend they've helped me through alot :)

Hugs
Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 11:43:39 am »
OC, I was diagnosed about a 1 1/2 months ago and I'm 29 as well.  I'm still very much in shock also and maybe we can support each other.  Feel free to PM me and I'm glad you found the forum.

Jacob
Thanks jampdx, that would be great. :)

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 11:46:14 am »
Welcome OcGuy,

Ive been poz for a little over a year. The shock of finding out is still fresh in my mind...so I can empathize with your feelings right now. The thing that helped me most was going through the lessons on here Under the "treatment" tab....seriously dont overlook it, it helps tremendously.

My numbers are actually pretty close to yours at the moment. I can tell you from experience that the numbers bounce around ALOT and your doctors will probably want to get 2 or 3 tests under your belt to establish a good baseline.

I was terribly naive when I was diagnosed and thought that HIV meant immediate AIds and then death. Nothing could be farther from the truth...the meds available today have turned HIV into a manageable chronic condition, with a near normal lifespan. Today I feel fine, I look the same, and my penis has not fallen off :)

Relax and take some time to go through the lessons and get a handle on what the numbers mean, etc... and ask anything you like no matter how trivial, there are no stupid questions. The people here are a Godsend they've helped me through alot :)

Hugs
Will
Well its good to know my penis wont fall off! I'll check out that info. Thanks for the reply. :)

Offline nycvisitor

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 12:07:38 pm »
In retrospect, the comment I made to you was insensitive. My sincere apologies to you OCGUY79. No disrespect was meant.

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 01:21:08 pm »
In retrospect, the comment I made to you was insensitive. My sincere apologies to you OCGUY79. No disrespect was meant.
TY nycvisitor, no grudges held.

Offline ocguy79

• Grindr Sucks
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 10:46:35 pm »
I go back to the doctors on Tuesday April 14th for my HIV Research screening. There just going to take some more blood and stuff to see if i qualify for the program. I really want to get on meds asap.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.