Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:40:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 371
Total: 371

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feel like I'm living the movie "Philadelphia" but in a different way.  (Read 2961 times)

Offline jm1953

I'm a long termer but thought I'd post here if it's o.k. 

I've read some posts about member's poz status being outed.  Certainly that has happened to me, but I'm not really trying to hide it.  Unfortunately I am in a legal probate mess with my only sibling which has started a war.  I have an attorney working on it, very complicated estate, and she is wonderful.

My sibling does work in the heathcare industry and not only has been telling collegues there about my status, but ofcourse everyone else.  Plus my lifestyle of being Gay.  She has been using this tact for years to suck up to my Dad for estate reasons, but now that he's gone she has really turned up the volume.

My Dad's trust states when I die everything left in my column, which should be considerable, be given to her.  It is a big estate split 50/50.  It seems her tact now is to turn the whole family against me, along with other family friends, and stress me out when we talk.  We have not talked now for over a year.  Only through my attorney and the trustee.  She is too toxic and I can't deal with her.    Apparently her hubbie who has taken on the executor role mentioned to my attorney that they are waiting for me to die so my money can go to the kids.

Ugly yes?  I feel discriminated against and taken advantage of because of my illness by this army recruited by my sibling.  Since she is in healthcare, aware of my status, and trying even presently to reduce the amount to be given me in my trust which reduces my enormous health care expenses, and possibly long term care going forward, does she have the right?  My attorney is doing probate only and not wanted to referee family squabbles even though she thinks it's strange.

Since she's in healthcare is litigation an option?

As a postscript, I have written a couple of posts about survivor's guilt, depression, and my regular friends kind of bailing on me as I get sicker.  Guess this just makes it all worse.

Thanks for the listen.

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline Rockin

Hey Jeff,

Im really sorry about your situation. Our families can be a blessing but can also be a curse sometimes.

One thing though: how come you are sick? By your VL and CD4 info it seems as you should be healthy. Is it HIV related or something completely different?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
I read this thread and your other posts.

First, I am sorry you are so isolated. Its really shocking to me to hear your analysis that HIV positive friends in particular can't deal with your waning state.  I am torn here. I know honey attracts more flies than vinegar.  But kind of love that analogy because the friends are the "flies"....  I might be tempted to flat out ask a few friends to be more supportive and "there", and see what happens.  It can't make things worse, right.

I hope you have the funds to get the right lawyer to get every last cent you Dad left to you.  If I were in your shoes, once I had it, I wouldn't hesitate to spend whatever necessary to make my days on this earth more comfortable.  Why is it important to leave anything to her kids, if you need the money, use it...

Also I would keep all communication with her going through lawyers. 

On the other hand, I would NOT let her poison cut you off from the rest of the family. If you feel like there is still some love there for you, please try to see the rest of your family, by without your sister present.  Anytime in those meetings when you feel her poison coming out in other people's words, I would be honest with these family members and tell them how terribly destructive your sister is being and that you only want kindness and support, to recieve it and give it, and to be a cherished member of your family.  Surely some of them will value your elegance over her venom and greedy meanness?   
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Deaths and estates / inheritances often bring out the worst in families.  I'm sorry you are having to go through all of this.  Unfortunately, I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if she has the right to be trying to take your estate away from you.  Often, it seems like it is a contest of who has the best legal team, so you better make sure you have a great attorney.

Not having contact with your sister is smart.  I'm sure your health problems make this even more stressful.  Regarding your sister telling everyone about your HIV status and your sexual orientation, you probably already know that you're not going to be able to stop her.  Especially what I recall from your previous posts -- this is a pattern.  The fact is, it's irrelevant when it comes to allocation your parents estate.  While it's hard not to make a big deal of what she is doing, the bigger deal you make of it, the bigger it will become.  Let her flame out in a blaze of glory.  Surely your whole family doesn't buy in to all the crap she is spewing.  And if they do, they're not worth your time, either.

Regards,

Henry

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:27:21 am by Buckmark »
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Yeah, I too went thur THIS w/ my Twin-sister 20 yrs ago..unfortunately for me, she came out the winner, she had very good legal counsel, as I couldn't afford to fight her.....we still speak, but not very often, as she is very dismissive about my AIDS & life-style........

Jeff, you might be surprised as to what other family members think about your sisters actions, mine didn't agree w/ my sister much, and some of them don't even like her too well......

here's the funny part in all of THIS, they will let her know about this if she get's too bitchy, uppity and dismissive with them  ;D
and won't hesitate to throw it back her way......just saying  ;)

Hang-in-there, it will all come to a head soon enough

HUGS

Dennis in ABQ
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:41:24 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline LoboDog

I come from a white trash family... when my Mom died, my siblings fought over a washing machine that was duct taped together and a 10 year old TV set. Personally, I just stepped out of the way and thought, "How pathetic"

Most of your family will think the same thing. Anytime I hear of someone waiting for another person to die in order to get the inheritance the only description that comes to mind is "scum bag". She can say all she wants about your homosexuality... it just shows that she is homophobic. Any negative comments concerning your illness shows a lack of compasion in a health care worker.

The only thing you can do is to continue the legal fight... Ignore her antics... And if you win, spend as much of the inheritance as you possibly can  :)

Bottom line though, don't adopt other peoples issues as your own. Also, don't allow her lack of standards bring your's down.

Offline jm1953

Thanks for all the replies.  Appreciate all your responses and take them to heart.  You are right, estates like this are very complicated.  Also a mess with a family like mine. But you are also right that my evil sister's kids, who are now adults with their own families, probably are seeing her now as she is.  I have begun some correspondence with my youngest neice, and hope to with the rest and restart our family ties without my sister's controlling them.  I still love them and want me in my life.

My attorney is handling all my sister and brother in law's correspondence for my protection.  So your advice is well noted.

It is hard beind in this stressful situation.  And I have been careful not to tell but only a couple of friends I may be coming into some money.  I've already been dumped by two when I told them I was getting nothing just to see how they would react.  Hard to trust people in this situation.

Thanks again.  You all are great.

Best to you,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.