Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:22:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 404
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 417
Total: 417

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Regarding the Presidential race in the USA  (Read 20603 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Regarding the Presidential race in the USA
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2008, 09:56:03 pm »

3. The vote for the war, well yes it was a vote to use force, but it was really done after the fact. The War Powers Act states that Congress must give permission to keep the forces there. Passed to prevent another Vietnam, that needs to be revamped evidently. The vote in this case was given with a bunch of horrible information meant to sway Congress. I would say I might vote in favor of it to with the information that was presented to me the way it was presented to Congress. Even the most liberal of the House and Senate authorized it. When you are lied to and given facts to support the lie....can you really blame Clinton?

yes

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/01/opinion/01chafee.html
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2008, 10:49:03 pm »
Yeah, I find it -- uh, STRANGE -- that some folks here despise Obama so much that they question if they'll vote for him or McCain come November.  Really makes me scratch my head.

ONWARD TO TEHRAN I SAY!  (is that what you folks really want?)

So, if through some miracle clinton were the nominee (and I think it would need to be bigger than parting the Red Sea at this point) -- would you vote for her?

For the record -- I will happily vote for Obama (also helping to move Virginia into a deeper Blue state).

Mike

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2008, 12:01:26 am »
Just a note on the gas tax reprieve.... Obama has articulated the reason for NOT temporarily rescending the gas tax quite well... it's a huge cost to an already heavily debt burdened treasury...
However, the argument for it has a lot of merit ... but neither candidate proposing it has stated the obvious... at least as far as I know.... basically it is an adjustment period.  Gas prices have gone up 40% in three months here in CA.  That's huge.  It takes time to make the necessary lifestyle adjustments... like buying a more energy efficient auto... like moving to a location closer to your job.  These are major steps that each person can take to help save $$$ spent otherwise on gas.  However, you can't just walk away from your apt. lease or your house.  A lot of people that may want to buy a new car now don't have the $$$ for a down payment.  The gas tax reprieve would help some people out by giving them some time to help make these adjustments.  The point just needs to be made that it is a one-time temporary action.

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2008, 02:04:32 am »
The gas tax reprieve would help some people out by giving them some time to help make these adjustments.
But see, that just isn't true. Let's work out the math:

Assume you drive 40 miles per day, 6 days a week. That's 12,480 miles in one year. If your car delivers 25 miles per gallon, you'll use 499.2 gallons of fuel for that year. The federal gasoline tax is $0.184 per gallon, which amounts to $91.85 for the year, or $7.65 per month.

But wait, there's more:

The United States population is about 301,000,000. Say 60% of Americans drive, that's 180,600,000 drivers. Using the numbers above*, those drivers contribute $1,381,590,000 per month to federal highway programs. If the government suspends the tax for three months, you can kiss goodbye to $4,144,770,000 of revenue for road improvements -- plus whatever jobs might get lost because of idle workers.

The "tax holiday" is nothing more than a shibboleth. It'll starve the government without doing anything to truly help individuals.

*Yes, I know there are wild variations among drivers, but that doesn't negate the usefulness of this exercise.

Offline Benoit

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2008, 05:43:33 pm »
I am not an American, so I wont be voting for the next American President. My family ancestry is on 2 websites showing my family with each generation going back to Charlemagne & the Plantagenet Dynasty with KingEdward I 'Longshanks' of England & Eleanor of Castile being my 23 times Great Grandparents. Its not unique to have a royal bloodline as many have websites showing how they are from royalty, but  I am distantly related to Pres. George Bush, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama & John McCain & all of them are also distant cousins to each other ... so who ever wins the Presidency will have a cousin whose HIV+ even though its a distant cousin

http://humphrysfamilytree.com/famous.descents.html

This link is of the website showing that Pres. Bush, Hillary Clinton, Barrack Obama & John McCain are all distantly related & are also distantly related to many other American Presidents & like me they are descended from the Plantagenet dynasty but I hope Hillary Clinton wins as its like having two American President or Barack Obama as he seems a very down to earth person who wants to make many good changes
Diagnosed: March
2OO7
01/O8
CD4 COUNT: 5OO
CD4%: 33%
VL COUNT: 7,32O

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2008, 09:53:59 pm »
So, if through some miracle clinton were the nominee (and I think it would need to be bigger than parting the Red Sea at this point) -- would you vote for her?

Look smartypants -- as a resident of NYC just 4 years ago I was active in her campaign -- can you say that?  So, short answer, yes.  I only moved to Philadelphia since her last senate run, but was totally there for the first one -- enthusiastically even, and with ample campaign donations as I was still working at the time.

I just think her behavior THIS campaign has been atrocious though, as well as her husbands.  Frankly I was on the fence until the SC primary, if truth be known.

Then again, I'm over the catnip.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2008, 11:10:25 pm »
Philly,
I agree withyou about the Clinton's bad behavior. I supported her until Bill said that horrible thing to Obama in South Carolina. On  that very day I had had enough. I went for Obama, and I will vote for him in the general.
I voted for him in the AZ primary too...it didn't help much as Hillary kicked is here but I felt very good by voting for Obama.
Positive since 1985

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2008, 09:00:20 am »
If you think YOU'RE angry at how Clinton has run her campaign, you should check out Bob Herbert's op-ed in yesterday's New York Times.  Herbert is a leading African-American commentator, and I read him regularly in The Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/opinion/10herbert.html

OUCH!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2008, 10:03:35 am »
Yeah, I read that too last night.  Major "ouch"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2008, 10:22:45 am »
I believe in the long run a bruising Democratic primary will benefit Barack Obama. Clinton's attacks (that Obama weathered) ain't nothing compared to what the Republicans will throw at him. I think the tough Democratic primary will help him withstand the Republican slime machine.

If anything the 06 midterm elections prove just how little the talking heads and punditocracy actually know about the American voter. They were wrong then and they're wrong now.

You just wait, come August in Denver both Bill and Hillary will take to the stage praising Obama. A change is comin'.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:34:00 pm by Dachshund »

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2008, 10:48:50 am »
I think I can safely say that the political race for President this year has a lot of us American voters
uneasy....  Regardless of whether you're a Republican or a Democrat....the choice of candidates leaves
a lot to be desired.  Of the three candidates...Clinton, Obama or McCain....which is more HIV friendly?

I don't have a clue....  I think a Democrat would be more "concerned" about us HIV folks but McCain
is making all the right noises too.  Any suggestions as to whom I should vote for in November???

(if this post is not acceptable in this section...I'm assuming Ann or somebody will move it)
I think there are two grewat candidates...neither named Mccain.  It's too bad thesleeze attacks have already started. Is Hamas et all this years gay marriage non issue?
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2008, 11:32:24 am »
 I am voting for Obama come election day . Maybe I'm jaded but I don't think there is anything particularly vicious about how any candidate ran they're campaigns in these primaries .
It seems to me to be the same old way politicians have always did things to me , nothing new .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2008, 01:10:41 pm »
(Quote from the NYTimes article)  "She's the favored candidate by 'hard working Americans-white Americans.'"

What a total idiotic thing for her to say.  This only reaffirms my vote for Obama.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »
On Saturday afternoon, the Hager family hosted wedding guests at a barbecue in Salado. The wedding, which began at 7:30 p.m., took place on the Bush ranch, before a white limestone altar erected next to a man-made lake. The Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell of Windsor Village United Methodist Church in Houston officiated at the ceremony. Mr. Caldwell, a longtime religious adviser to Mr. Bush, has endorsed Senator Barack Obama.   ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2008, 05:30:54 pm »
On Saturday afternoon, the Hager family hosted wedding guests at a barbecue in Salado. The wedding, which began at 7:30 p.m., took place on the Bush ranch, before a white limestone altar erected next to a man-made lake. The Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell of Windsor Village United Methodist Church in Houston officiated at the ceremony. Mr. Caldwell, a longtime religious adviser to Mr. Bush, has endorsed Senator Barack Obama.   ;D

Too bad Rev. Caldwell is one of those nasty believers in "ex-gay" ministries.

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2008, 03:26:36 am »
Please vote for a Democrat. I do not want 8 more years of Republicans.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 05:28:34 pm »
That was an excellent article... the Clintons have done nothing but, enjoy fleecing the American Taxpayers... before I commit myself to any one canidate... I will have to see... McCain? Obama? I have yet to decide... maybe a strong independent? but, I know I will not VOTE for a Clinton...

Offline dusty99

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2008, 06:59:13 pm »
i don't mind either one of the two democratics, but the longer they fight, the less I like either of them. But again, I will vote any of them who becomes the candidate. Never Mccain. 100 years in Iraq? Does he have any brain?

Well, history will prove that on this particular issue, that no matter who takes the White House this year, we will in fact be in the Middle East for 100 years. This has been a major conflict. The only place we went to war and didn't establish a base was Viet Nam.  Agree with McCain or not, he is actually on target here. This may not even be something he thinks we should do, however; we already do have at least on permenant base there already (Quatar) I don't like that myself, but it's there and we will have a presence there for years to come, it will just not be as big as it is now. Neither Hillary or Barack will be able to change that no matter what they promise.  I do agree with the OP, ALL of the candidates leave a lot do be desired. Politics have become a criminal activity anymore. Regardless of the presidential winner, I personally think we need to completely eliminate every standing member of the house and senate, and start fresh with term limits on them. Changing the president WILL NOT change the direction this country is going. Also, WE as citizens need to change the laws that currently allow the house and senate to make changes that benefit them and not those who pay them i.e. voting for pay raises etc.
17 Mar 08: diagnosed
31 Mar 08 CD4: 565,  30%  VL: 28,900
21 May 08 CD4: 600,  37%  VL: 13,000
25 Oct 08  CD4: 308   34%  VL: 68,000
19 Nov 08 Started Atripla
16 Dec 08  CD4: 580   42% VL: 70
27 Jan 09  CD4: 490   41%  VL: undetectable
24 Mar 09  CD4: 565   42%  VL: undetectable
30 Jun 09  CD4: 615    41% VL: undetectable
25 Sep 09  CD4: 595    47% VL: undetectable

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2008, 08:24:03 pm »

. . .. Regardless of the presidential winner, I personally think we need to completely eliminate every standing member of the house and senate, and start fresh with term limits on them. Changing the president WILL NOT change the direction this country is going. Also, WE as citizens need to change the laws that currently allow the house and senate to make changes that benefit them and not those who pay them i.e. voting for pay raises etc.

You know, I've never really understood this sentiment.  It just doesn't seem to be a good idea to me, nor in the people's interest, that lobbyists and staffers should be more experienced at their jobs than legislators.  It seems to argue that making laws is so easy that we should have only inexperienced lawmakers.  The logical extension of this idea appears to be that we should also require that no legislator be over the age of 15?  ;)

I understand people get frustrated at all the partisan, self interested stuff, but this doesn't seem to be a solution that actually works.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline hankgaguy

• June2008
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2008, 09:45:53 pm »
Hillary has basically done to the Democratic Party to what Bush has done to the country: Divide it, in hopes of conquering it.

Obama has done very little in the petty attacks and tactics that the Clinton Corporation (and it is indeed a corporate relationship than a true one) have pulled on him. He's held up for the most part brilliantly, although he's seemed rather listless until quite recently. But to have to fight the aspects of race and religion, the ignorance of the general public, and the ever-present Press that is hungry for sensationalism over anything, he's been rather honest and up-front about much everything.

The gas thing is merely a gimmick. I understand times are tough, but for everyone. Gas tax pays for road projects that lessen congestion. If you don't have the money, you slow down the construction progress. Funds also support TRANSIT. Hillary's promise of the windfall tax is ill advised. No economist can support her position. ALL support Obama. Plus, it's only a chance of a temporary fix to a long-term problem. Pandering to the general public such as Clinton-AFTER McCain proposed a similar tactic-shows just how low this woman will go in desparation to win the nomination.

Hillary, your time was 2004, and you stood by. Your time is over. Let Obama bring true CHANGE. Someone who's not tied to the drug lobby such as she has been (perhaps her own "windfall" from the failed 1993 Health Reform Act?).

We all are Americans and, naturally, are free to express our opinions and vote our conscious. Just as with the continuing saga of HIV/AIDS, it is education and research that is critical to keep us current and alive. I've done my research; watched the debates; read the web, etc. The two basically had similar platforms, just in different personalities. Obama just seems to be intelligent, personable, and seemingly more committed to unifying people and changing the direction of America.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.
Healthy, Happy, and Kickin' Butt

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 03:44:40 am »
While I believe Barack Obama will be the Democratic nominee I have serious reservations about his engery policy & knowledge.

Sen. Clinton's gas tax holiday is different from McCain's in that she proposes paying for it with a tax on oil companies windfall profits.

Sen. Obama is completely opposed to a gas tax holiday but while he was representing his home district in Illinois he voted for a gas tax holiday 3 times in 2000 when I was living in Chicago.

One of Sen. Obama's top advisors to his Indiana campaign is Kip Tew who worked as a lobbyist for Duke Engery.

Sen. Obama also voted for the Bush/Cheney 2005 Energy Bill.

These and many other issues give me great pause but I will never vote for Sen. McCain.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline dusty99

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2008, 11:14:06 pm »
You know, I've never really understood this sentiment.  It just doesn't seem to be a good idea to me, nor in the people's interest, that lobbyists and staffers should be more experienced at their jobs than legislators.  It seems to argue that making laws is so easy that we should have only inexperienced lawmakers.  The logical extension of this idea appears to be that we should also require that no legislator be over the age of 15?  ;)

I understand people get frustrated at all the partisan, self interested stuff, but this doesn't seem to be a solution that actually works.

The reason I think we should remove every standing member of the congress and senate is as I stated, that it has become so corrupt that we need a new group and term limits and take away all these ridiculous benefits they have voted for themselves, the inmates are currently running the asylum. Laws are easy to make, just look at all the laws these morons have made that limit us, but benefit them and the people with all the money. We are also just giving away money to all these countries and that is part of our problem, we need to actually become an isolationist country again like we did after WWI. We need to become self sufficient and get rid of this trade defecit that we currently are under. The congress and senate are selling the American people out to the highest bidder. WE need to regain control of OUR country and not be run by a small group of people who do not have our best interests at heart. Government of the people, for the people and by the people meant that one person for a district would go and serve 1 or 2 terms, come home and it was someone else's turn, and so on. The amount of money raised to get these idiots in office would have taken care of this countries homeless and destitute for at least a year, probably more. (money better spent I can tell you for certain) I love this country, served it, and would do it again, but I am tired of these bozos destroying it and getting rich at the same time. Removing them and starting fresh would work, but we would have to also put a cap on the number of lawyers as well. We all know why that is.
17 Mar 08: diagnosed
31 Mar 08 CD4: 565,  30%  VL: 28,900
21 May 08 CD4: 600,  37%  VL: 13,000
25 Oct 08  CD4: 308   34%  VL: 68,000
19 Nov 08 Started Atripla
16 Dec 08  CD4: 580   42% VL: 70
27 Jan 09  CD4: 490   41%  VL: undetectable
24 Mar 09  CD4: 565   42%  VL: undetectable
30 Jun 09  CD4: 615    41% VL: undetectable
25 Sep 09  CD4: 595    47% VL: undetectable

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 01:39:15 am »
Pick up TIME magazine.  It has some really good articles on both Obama and Clinton. 

A candidate HAS to be a good politician to get elected.  Read the article and it will explain how Obama made that transition.  In fact, he has proven truly brilliant at mastering the game... especially given his meteoric rise... and his lack of the typical advantages:  being rich, having a political pedigree, or being a war hero.  I think he saw the "mistake" his rivals in the party had made by allowing him to make a very public address at the convention.  That speech was truly a classic and gave him immediate national name recognition.  He also knows that if he didn't take advantage of this "gift", he would have to wait eight years for the next chance and by then another Obama may have risen from out of nowhere.. just as he did.  That was so stupid of the Clintons to not have better control over that agenda since it was televised... and after reading the Time article, it seems that her campaign was a litany of strategic errors... mainly caused by just being overly confident.  For this reason, it does make one wonder if she would be a careful president, trying to always cover all bases, or something akin to a Democratic GW... who's taken so many gambles with our country, he makes a day trader look conservative!

I firmly believe that if Clinton was in Obama's place, she too would be taking the high road while Obama would probably have a few proxies out there slinging some mud.  I wonder if Obama gets the nomination, will the Clintons will become the attack dogs of the Democratic party?... out there slinging the mud at McCain so Obama can continue to culture his image of a "new" politician.   I think this will be a close presidential race so I am sure we'll be seeing a lot of mud slinging from both parties... with both candidates disavowing any knowledge of it.

Bill Moyer has it right in his latest book.... the media is really distorting politics by continuing to play to 30 second sound bites taken out of context, that can get a reader's quick, but very limited, attention.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.