Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:03:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 238
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Crafting  (Read 9579 times)

Offline wolfter

Crafting
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:43:58 pm »
I know many of us do different crafting and building projects.  Thought it'd be cool to share some of them.

I got tired of trying to find casual vests in my size so I made a trip to the fabric store.  The end result looks alright and I expect future ones will look even better.

My fabric purchase 

My almost completed vest.  Still have to do the button holes tomorrow.

Being 100% color blind has limited my options but am about to go out of that comfort zone with some boldness. :D

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Crafting
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »
Very nice Wolfie, seem's you are a dab hand with the needle... ;D

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:47:52 pm »
Well done!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:53:31 pm »
Very nice Wolfie, seem's you are a dab hand with the needle... ;D

Aroha

Even with a broken left thumb ;)  Between the holidays and being laid up, I was getting really down.  I decided it was time to do things that I'm able to instead of totally going stir crazy.

Thanks Tim.  Hoping Jeff posts some pics too, he does some awesome things.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:58:48 pm by wolfter »

Offline 11 letters

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:31:57 pm »
I'm jealous of anyone who can make clothes!
I am not a physician or nurse, and no comments from me can be construed as medical advice. Please seek such advice from a qualified healthcare professional.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:49:42 am »
I'm jealous of anyone who can make clothes!

It's amazing what one can accomplish with patterns. 

Offline Growler

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 04:27:15 am »

mY OTHER MAQDE me ahomosexal, send pattern she mke me one ;)

G
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:29:15 am by Growler »
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline mitch777

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:34:42 pm »
nice work Wolfie!

we just got dumped on here with 11" of snow.
can you make me a nice "snow bunny" suit? :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 05:08:25 pm »
nice work Wolfie!

we just got dumped on here with 11" of snow.
can you make me a nice "snow bunny" suit? :)

You don't already have one? :o  Oh wait, I'm thinking of my cocktail bunny outfit.

I finally mastered button holes.  I had to practice an hour or two since I hadn't done them in ages.  I'm pretty happy with the final product and look forward to making many more.  I'm a bit of a vest freak. 

I added a black band for affect.

I plan on changing the pattern as I hate the sew lines for the pocket.  I'll figure out how to add an inside one instead.  Or just eliminate it all together.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »
It looks great Wolfie, I hope we see New Year photo's of you sporting your new attire.   :D

Aroha
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 05:23:03 pm »
no i don't have one.

was kinda hopping hoping for a nice plush white faux fur with pink satin lined floppy ears.

oh ya, with feet.

is next tuesday too much to expect for arrival??
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 06:55:33 pm »
Look what I made..I can do crafting too  8)

Ps- nice vest Wolfter, looks like one I paid alot of money for, ditch the pocket though
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:47:55 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:40 pm »

Ps- nice vest Wolfter, looks like one I paid alot of money for, ditch the pocket though

Too damn funny, I didn't realize you had a creative side. 

Yeah, I'm really not happy with the pocket.  Gonna see if I can remove it.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:46:03 pm »
I feel like I'm at Michael's.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 08:55:15 pm »

I got tired of trying to find casual vests in my size so I made a trip to the fabric store.  The end result looks alright and I expect future ones will look even better.

Wolfie

:)   I like the vest. !   Would you be able to get the sewing machine revved up, and make me a pair of these :  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtH4gCQ1m4

While you're @ it,  could you make Ed a pair. We could use something to cruise the flee market in.  ;D

Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »

:)   I like the vest. !   Would you be able to get the sewing machine revved up, and make me a pair of these :  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtH4gCQ1m4

While you're @ it,  could you make Ed a pair. We could use something to cruise the flee market in.  ;D

Ray 8)

As if we don't all have plenty of short skinny shorts left over from the 80's hoping they'll come back in style. ;)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 01:24:22 pm »
Whoo hoo, got it finished in time to wear this evening.  I was able to remove the pocket without any noticeable affect.  It looks more tailored anyways.

Offline Bsc86

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »
You did a great job with the vest! Last time I tried sewing something, it fell apart a few weeks later...I leave it to other people now  :-[

I kind of liked the pocket though...I'm probably the only one...it was different, and I think that's why I liked it. I have a pair of pants that's pinstriped that would have looked good with that pocket :D
09/25/2012 - Diagnosed. CD4: 8. VL: unknown
Started HAART - Norvir, Prezista, Truvada
10/15/2012 - CD4: 18. VL: unknown (hospital never told me VL counts)
11/28/2012 - CD4: 114 (bad test)
12/08/2012 - CD4: 54, VL: 223
                   Switched to Norvir, Epzicom, and Prezista
01/08/2013 - CD4: 232, VL: 182

Current regimen: Norvir, Prezista, Epzicom

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 02:23:08 pm »
I have several store bought vests that have a false satin pocket that's just for looks.  I plan on playing with the design on the next one to see how it comes out.  I think my thread didn't exactly match which made this one stand out too much.

Being color blind, I always rely on the clerks to match up my thread but I don't think they care enough to take the time.  From now on, I'll just ask one of the lady customers. 

I just went through my closet and have made a definite plan to add color to my wardrobe.  It currently consists mostly of black, grey, white and tan. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 07:44:38 am »
Wolfie, sounds like you need a Personal Shopper. My bf is partially colour-blind and you can really tell sometimes when he wears clashing colours. People who don't know about his sight problem think he's just eccentric. ;D

Nice vest, btw. I have a sewing machine that was given to me - I really need to get it out and figure out how to use it. I haven't used one since home-ec class in high school.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 01:40:53 pm »
Wolfie, sounds like you need a Personal Shopper. My bf is partially colour-blind and you can really tell sometimes when he wears clashing colours. People who don't know about his sight problem think he's just eccentric. ;D

Nice vest, btw. I have a sewing machine that was given to me - I really need to get it out and figure out how to use it. I haven't used one since home-ec class in high school.

Color blindness runs rampant in my family.  Mine was never confirmed until I was enlisting in the Air Force.  I tested 100% color blind.  I guess that's why I've always dressed monochromatic. 

Also, I snagged an antique bedroom suite yesterday.  My dear friend Pammy was going to throw out a solid mahogany set because it has been painted and it looking tired.  People really should be committed who paint such beautiful wood.

Wolfie kissed a girl and he liked it.  :O)  I look terrified and also realize that vest makes me look chunky.   

Offline Bsc86

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 07:33:56 pm »
...[size=78%]also realize that vest makes me look chunky. [/size]

I would have to disagree with this...chunky, you are not :)

As far as color-blindness...so do you only see black, white and grey then? I have a friend that can't see red...which makes driving with her a real trip sometimes.
09/25/2012 - Diagnosed. CD4: 8. VL: unknown
Started HAART - Norvir, Prezista, Truvada
10/15/2012 - CD4: 18. VL: unknown (hospital never told me VL counts)
11/28/2012 - CD4: 114 (bad test)
12/08/2012 - CD4: 54, VL: 223
                   Switched to Norvir, Epzicom, and Prezista
01/08/2013 - CD4: 232, VL: 182

Current regimen: Norvir, Prezista, Epzicom

Offline wolfter

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »

As far as color-blindness...so do you only see black, white and grey then? I have a friend that can't see red...which makes driving with her a real trip sometimes.

That's a common question that I've always been asked.  Color blindless is a bit of a misnomer as it should be called shade blindness.  I see colors, just not the same that everyone sees. 

I too have a little trouble with traffic lights which is why I try to avoid city driving.  I've learned some tricks to help but it can also be dangerous.  Sometimes I have to watch what other vehicles are doing to know if I have the green light.  :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:55 am »
I decided to mix it up and add some color.  After I finished this one, I realized it looks like a road worker's vest.  Not sure if I can incorporate it into an outfit or not.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 08:48:29 am »
I decided to mix it up and add some color.  After I finished this one, I realized it looks like a road worker's vest.  Not sure if I can incorporate it into an outfit or not.

You could always sew black ribbons or strips of fabric to it and you'd have the basis for a Queen Bee outfit for next Halloween. :)

Looks like you did a good job though, and I'm diggin' the hot pink hanger. Not that you'd probably notice. ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 10:53:45 am »
Hey Wolfie,

I like the vest. Who knew you were so talented?

I have trouble sewing on a button.

By the way, I am also color blind, or at least, partially color blind. I once bought a nifty pair of tweed pants on sale. They were amazingly cheap and I couldn't figure out why.

I thought they were tan.

I found out, the first time I wore them, they were actually pink.

I still wore them. To hell with convention!  ;)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 11:03:27 am »
While I am not any good at sewing, I do enjoy doing things around the house.

I am an avid gardener and I spend much of my free time either working in the garden or planning things for the garden.

I am something of a native plant fan, and have received my master gardener certification.

Since it is January, it is time to prune the trees and some of the shrubs. Some don't need it, thanks to the deer.

I also will be transplanting two fruit trees a friend has given me. Trees seem to do better when they have been transplanted while dormant.

Anyway, I was thinking that a gardeners apron would be a great idea. So, I will try my hand at making one.

I will let you know how it goes.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:19 am »

Anyway, I was thinking that a gardeners apron would be a great idea. So, I will try my hand at making one.

HUGS,

Mark

Perhaps a fairy prince will send you one?  I should have taken pictures of the ones I made for the post employees.  They're quite easy.

I'm a bit arrogant in that I believe I can do anything.  I'm such a mixed bag; I can rebuild motors, build a house or sew up a new outfit. 

I do quite well in the vegetable garden, but never had much luck in the flower garden part of it.  Never had much interest in it and that was Bill's thing.  I wasn't even allowed to trim around his gardens as I couldn't tell weeds from purposeful grasses.  (that looked like overgrown weeds to me.  :)  )

Offline wolfter

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03:33 pm »
You could always sew black ribbons or strips of fabric to it and you'd have the basis for a Queen Bee outfit for next Halloween. :)

Looks like you did a good job though, and I'm diggin' the hot pink hanger. Not that you'd probably notice. ;)

Our highschool colors were black and yellow and I love that look.  I still cherish the memories of my team mates wearing those short black satin gym shorts with tight yellow tank tops.  Damn, need another shower already. :o

OH, and I borrowed the pink hangar.  I only use white ones but have run out.  I've already eliminated everything that I can and probably should just buy more. 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:02 pm »

I made one of those in the first grade after my Latin teacher hit me in the head with her shoe.  It was hard to focus while seeing stars.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.