Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:15:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 373
Total: 373

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: receding gums...any suggestions?  (Read 6815 times)

Offline SouthSam7

receding gums...any suggestions?
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:34:05 am »
I searched the archives but didn't find anything previously posted about receding gums.  I just noticed that my gums are pulling away from my teeth and the part of the tooth that turns into the root is showing about 1 or 2 mms on my bottom teeth, (especially on my side teeth, the molars and premolars).

I brush at least twice a day with a soft brush and I don't scrub them.  I also gargle & swish with Listerine at every brushing.  I take vitamin c and I don't smoke, so what the hell's going on?  Anyone else with this problem?  I'm 39.  I have all my teeth.  What can I do about it?

Offline RapidRod

Re: receding gums...any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:51:08 am »
You might just need a deep descaling. Don't worry it doesn't hurt that bad.  ::) The dentist will give you a script for a medicated mouth wash for a while.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:05:19 am »
My gums are also receding at record speed, my dentist said to have my sinuses checked,
ok they're always irritated, so now what. I also had a root canal, the first one and the first repair to b made in 10 years, Sometimes my gums just itch an are painful, I also wonder if its HIV, meds or just age (45)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 08:14:12 am »
You don't need guesses...you need to see a dentist. However, if I had to guess I would have to agree with Rapid. Go to your Dentist!!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:59:56 am »
Hey Guy,

Are you flossing? Believe it or not, it really does make a difference.

I agree with the others though, go see a dentist. I had the deep scaling Rod mentioned. Wasn't fun, but it wasn't that bad.

The net result was I was able to keep my teeth, which is the primary goal here.

I now get may teeth cleaned every six months. Also, my dentist told most mouthwashes are worthless, nothing more than flavored water. He told me I was actually beter off using salt water to rinse. The goal is to alter the ph in your mouth and prevent the growth of bacteria, etc.

The dentist said Listerene and a few others actually work. Ask your dentist what he recomennds.

Good luck and happy smiiles.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:02:06 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Brian360

• Just livin' it up until the sun goes down.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:21:06 pm »
I've got the same issue to.  The last time I went to the dentist and they knew I was +, they said this would happen.

If you experience dry mouth, might wanna take a look at the articles here:  http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Oral/Archive/DryMouth/index.html

Brian
July06: Tcells 0, VL >+750,000
Aug06: TCells 22, VL 214,000
Sep06: TCells 32, VL 34,500
Oct06: TCells 92, VL 9,560
Dec06: Tcells 27, VL 25,000
Jan07: Tcells 43, VL - un-detect
Jan10: TCells 111 - popped to 160 fall 09, VL  undectable since Oct. 07

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 11:33:22 pm »
I've always been told since diagnosis that HIV+ should always be attentive and see their dentist twice yearly for cleaning, mostly because of this gum problem.  In fact when I was diagnosed and my t-cells were quite low they had me go three time/year.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 11:36:21 pm »
I have major gum recession issues.   In my case, it's a hereditary thing, I think; my Dad lost his teeth from gum disease.

On my top teeth, the gums have receded so far up, it shocks me to hold up my lip and look at it.  I will probably have to have some procedures to correct some of the worst of it later this year ( scaling, some kind of 'flap' procedure too maybe).   I have some prescription mouthwash, but can't tell it does much good.

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:58:27 am »
I know gum issues all too well...

Based on my experience, I'd suggest what some of the other wise folks mentioned and get a scraping (my doc calls it a gum treatment). And have a Periodontist do it. I had a regular dentist do it and I found you really have to have a gum doctor or his/her hygenist do it to get the best results. Regular dentist just didn't seem to have the experience. It;'s not all that pleasant (they use a metal pic and scrape the plaque/bacteria from under your gums).

I also do the following:

1) Brush with a soft toothbrush, along the gum line, for 10 seconds on each region of the gum. Back and forth. I use an electric toothbrush and I use Listerine toothpaste. Some swear by that Colgate Total because it supposedly kills germs but my doc said prolonged use can cause your mouh bacteria to become resistant to the triclosan (antibacterial agent in it) and the Listerine antibacterial agent is better because it doesn't linger in the mouth as long and less chance of bacteria becoming resistant.

2) I always use Listerine mouthwash twice a day too. I find the old fashioned yellow nasty stuff is better. It's stronger too (based on alcohol content).

3) You should floss but I'm bad with that and use a water pik instead a few times a week.

4) If your gums are tender or bleed don't ignore it. Get on an antibiotic. Tender gums means there is a degree of infection and bacteria is breaking down your gum line. My doc would give me his gold standard which was doxycycline but the stuff made me want to vomit so a regular mainline antibiotic works too (which I insist on now). There is also a low dose version of doxycycline called Periostat that is used for receding gums that supposedly stops the bacteria from breaking down the bone. I may have to use it in the future.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to my teeth and gums so if I sound a little overzealous it's because the thought of losing my teeth that my parents spend thousands on to get straight for me as a teen does not sit well with me.

Like I said, a periodontist and gum treatment every six months is key, and hopefully some of my maintence tips I've picked up over the years will prove helpful to ya too.

Good luck...
Mikey :)

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 04:42:57 am »
Thanks everybody; I swear I get more from these forums than all other sources of info combined (especially my clinic! - they suck!)

I will go to the dentist asap.  I used to go every six months but haven't been in over a year (oops).  I'll keep you posted.

Sam

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.