Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:47:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 559
Total: 561

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A vitamin a day may do more harm than good...  (Read 8253 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
A vitamin a day may do more harm than good...
« on: January 22, 2007, 07:53:33 pm »
Just when you think....

ConsumerLab.com report finds unexpected nutrient levels, contamination
 NBC VIDEO

• Harmful vitamins?
Jan. 19: Tod Cooperman of ConsumerLab.com talks with TODAY host Matt Lauer about his company's report, which finds that some vitamins may actually be hazardous to your health.

Jacqueline Stenson
Contributing editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655168/

If you're banking on a daily vitamin to make up for any deficiencies in your diet, you may be getting a whole lot more — or less — than you bargained for.

Of 21 brands of multivitamins on the market in the United States and Canada selected by ConsumerLab.com and tested by independent laboratories, just 10 met the stated claims on their labels or satisfied other quality standards.

Most worrisome, according to ConsumerLab.com president Dr. Tod Cooperman, is that one product, The Vitamin Shoppe Multivitamins Especially for Women, was contaminated with lead.

"I was definitely shocked by the amount of lead in [this] woman's product," he said. "We've never seen that much lead in a multivitamin before."

Other products contained more or less of a particular vitamin than listed on the label. And some did not dissolve in the correct amount of time, meaning they could potentially pass through the body without being fully absorbed.

"Half the products were fine, half were not," said Cooperman.

ConsumerLab.com is a Westchester, N.Y.-based company that independently evaluates hundreds of health and nutrition products and periodically publishes reviews. In the new report, released to MSNBC.com, the company purchased a selection of the popular multivitamins on the market as well as some smaller brands and sent them, without labels, to two independent laboratories to be tested.

On a positive note, several of the most popular multivitamins on the market did pass muster, said David Schardt, a senior nutritionist at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nonprofit consumer advocacy group in Washington, D.C.

These included Centrum Silver, Member's Mark Complete Multi (distributed by Sam's Club), One A Day Women's and Flintstones Complete.

"I think this confirms the advice often given: You're safer choosing a well-known brand sold by some company or store that you have confidence in," Schardt said. "There are no guarantees but that's your best bet."

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
Re: A vitamin a day may do more harm than good...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:11:15 pm »
Thanks for the info Ray. For easy reference, here's the list mentioned:

====================

How some multivitamins measured up

ConsumerLab.com selected more than 20 brands of multivitamins to be tested by independent laboratories. Here’s a partial list of how some of them fared:

Multivitamins that met standards:

— Centrum Silver
— Member’s Mark Complete Multi
— One A Day Women’s
— Flinstones Complete
Those that failed:

— The Vitamin Shoppe Multivitamins Especially for women: Contaminated with lead
— Hero Nutritionals Yummi Bears: Had twice the labeled amount of vitamin A
— Nature’s Plus Especially Yours for Women: Took twice as long as allowed to disintegrate
— AARP Maturity Formula: Took nearly twice as long as allowed to disintegrate
— Eniva VIBE: Had only 54 percent of claimed vitamin A
— Pet-Tabs Complete Daily Vitamin-Mineral Supplement for Dogs: Contained lead

I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 03:48:13 am »
— Pet-Tabs Complete Daily Vitamin-Mineral Supplement for Dogs: Contained lead

Dammit! These were my favourite brand. I especially liked the beef-flavoured ones... /doggy
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:11:43 pm »
What a relief! Luckily I had been buying those Centrum Silver and the Member's mark brand! :o
All this news popping out on tv just confuses more people... :-\
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:19:41 pm »
my doctor prescribes me the Centrum Silver. i'm a little young to be a senior but my doc says i need the extra benefits from taking a geriatric vitamin. anyways i guess it's good news the one provided by ADAP meets the standards.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.