Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:58:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 537
Total: 537

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm new on this forum  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Archi

I'm new on this forum
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:18:12 pm »
Hi. I'm new on this forum . And have so much questions last December I'm make HIV test  Result was +.  Make appointment to HIV  Doctor  . Result on test was so bad  . CD4-164 and 18%.  And 66000 . Doctor give me Altripla , Fluconazol every day and sulfameth/trimethoprim 3 times a week. In  a internet I'm read if CD4< 200 , that AIDS.   MY DOCTOR DO NOT EXPLAIN ME NOTHING.  English my second language . Please maybe explain me how found good doctor in a Milwaukee what going bad or maybe good on my diagnose ? My full blood taste very good.  Maybe somebody started from about same blood taste and now that real go up. How long that take   Thank you.

Offline zach

Re: I'm new on this forum
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:36:18 pm »
Hey Archi,

Glad you found this place.

No one can say how quickly your numbers will recover. What we can say, many here started with numbers lower than yours.

Atripla is a very effective medication. It will suppress your virus and allow your immune system to rebuild. Keep taking it.

However, Atripla is no longer recommended as a first medication in America. There may be good reasons your doctor prescribed it, but I think you should ask why?

AIDS... yes, less than 200 is AIDS, but there also needs to be a Opportunistic Infection (OI) present for an actual diagnosis of AIDS. (I think)

Regardless, it doesn't matter these days. With meds, you'll be virally suppressed rapidly.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 07:52:15 pm »
Hi. I'm new on this forum . And have so much questions last December I'm make HIV test  Result was +.  Make appointment to HIV  Doctor  . Result on test was so bad  . CD4-164 and 18%.  And 66000 . Doctor give me Altripla , Fluconazol every day and sulfameth/trimethoprim 3 times a week. In  a internet I'm read if CD4< 200 , that AIDS.   MY DOCTOR DO NOT EXPLAIN ME NOTHING.  English my second language . Please maybe explain me how found good doctor in a Milwaukee what going bad or maybe good on my diagnose ? My full blood taste very good.  Maybe somebody started from about same blood taste and now that real go up. How long that take   Thank you.

ojo.     Hello and welcome Archi

Your numbers are not that bad  yes,  you are considered to have AIDS,  fat but as  soon as you start taking your medication,  your numbers will go up  rapidly and you will feel better. As soon as you go over 200 you will stop the other medications. So please do not worry too much, best of luck and keep us posted... Hugs.                                          ojo

Offline Archi

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 08:19:29 pm »
Thank you , guys. I hope I'm go up with my numbers. I'm optimistic in a life. That not easy to take this diagnose , that know every one , who on this forum.  I need help now for understanding my status . My life not real change because my HIV status. Of course that skier  , but hope I'm be OK.  THANK YOU

Offline Archi

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 09:03:39 pm »
Zach , what are you mean ,when : Atripla not longer recommend a first medication in USA ? What's recommended now ?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 09:10:54 pm »
Zach , what are you mean ,when : Atripla not longer recommend a first medication in USA ? What's recommended now ?

Atripla is still widely used but is not a first line med now … any of the other new combos are but you need to discuss that with your doctor .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Archi

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »
Jeff , I cant understand how I tell to Doctor about prescription.  Can I have right for that ? She is tell me , make test months letter and see what is going on.  I'm so confusing

Offline Archi

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 09:39:33 pm »
What medi recommended now  ?

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:50:53 pm »
archi, calm down ok

we're not going to recommend a medication here, we're not doctors

yes, you have the right to question your doctor to explain why she prescribed atripla as a first line medication.

please understand, it is an effective medication. in most of the world, it is still the first option. but, you're in america now.

you ask how to tell her... here is an article you could print, and show it to her at your next appointment

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/treatment_guidelines_Atripla_1667_27065.shtml

until then, you keep taking your atripla meds

this is nothing to panic about

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:07:25 pm »
Jeff , I cant understand how I tell to Doctor about prescription.  Can I have right for that ? She is tell me , make test months letter and see what is going on.  I'm so confusing

ojo         Hello Archi, would you mind if I ask you where are you from or what language do you speak?...Have you been taking ATRIPLA?, this medication is a good medication, for some people it is not, but if you are doing ok with it, it will be alright...there are other combinations, one pill a day, you can discuss this with your doctor, but do not panic, you will be fine with ATRIPLA...so relax and how about if you tell us, if you have any side effects with this med...best of luck...hugs                                                         ojo

Offline Archi

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 11:12:14 pm »
Thank you. I'm try.

Offline Archi

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 11:21:54 pm »
I'm take Atripla for 12 days. I do not know how that work now. I'm hope I'm OK. I have make another blood test at February ,12. After that need make appointment to my doctor.   Im real hope y CD4 and % go up

Offline zach

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 11:34:26 pm »
archi, i'm sorry i said anything

i realize now that was a mistake on my part

the meds you are taking work great, you're ok... keep doing what you're doing

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 12:53:14 am »
Zach is correct … many people here on the forum and for that matter the world take Atripla and love it … its a powerful and effective drug .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 06:44:46 am »

Hi Archi. Firstly, don't get too hung up on the AIDS thing. It's just a categorisation used, and varies depending on where you are in the world. I know in the UK for example, you would have to have an OI as well as a cd4 < 200 for the diagnosis, and even then doc's in the UK are getting away from using 'AIDS' as a term, preferring to use 'late stage HIV' instead. You have HIV, there's no point piling on your problems by worrying about whether it's 'AIDS' or not. I'm confident too that you will be > 200 before you know it.

Secondly, your numbers are not THAT bad. Sure, your cd4 is low-ish but your cd4 percentage is great at 18%. That percentage is equivalent to a cd4 count higher than 200, so relax. I'm recently diagnosed with similar numbers - cd4 160, cd4% 16.3 and VL 70k and my doc said that if she was going just on the percentage alone, she wouldn't have prescribed the antibiotics to warn off PCP, but the guidelines insist on it with a cd4 < 200.

The Flucanazole will have been prescribed because the doc thought there could be some sort of fungal thing going on. I was prescribed it for 7 days because my doc thought she could see a bit of thrush on my tongue. I was't convinced, and still am not after finishing the course but the drug was easy to take and didn't cause any side effects.

As for Atripla, it's a very commonly used med and will get your viral load under control very quickly, so you will see benefits. The good news about HIV medication these days is that if for some reason one drug doesn't work as well as expected, or side-effects become troublesome, there are plenty of other options out there to replace it. That said, many many people use Atripla and find it works really well. I suspect you will be one.

Hang in there.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 01:56:48 pm »
I'm take Atripla for 12 days. I do not know how that work now. I'm hope I'm OK. I have make another blood test at February ,12. After that need make appointment to my doctor.   Im real hope y CD4 and % go up

ojo           Hello Archi...if you are tolerating your med, you will be ok, I have some friends who are on ATRIPLA, and they are doing just fine...I'm sure that your next results, you will be over 200...just take your med as prescribed and you will be OK...best of luck...hugs                                                       ojo

Offline Archi

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 06:05:26 am »
Thanks every body. I'm keeping my Atripla and hope I'm be ok.  Please discus with me about right understand my life now

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.