Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:31:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 644
Total: 644

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested poz 11/17/17  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Spider29

Tested poz 11/17/17
« on: April 02, 2018, 12:33:52 pm »
Went in for routine STI testing mid Nov, about a month after my birthday. I think part of me kind of already knew that I was positive. It was the flu like symptoms, the rash all over my chest and arms and the really bad diarrhea. A few days after I went in to the clinic, an outreach nurse called me to let me know that they see something on the test but not 100% conclusive yet. She essentially was telling me to lay off having sex for the time being. Seeing as I was sick, sex wasn't going to happen anyways. Keep in mind I was at work when I got this news. I couldn't focus for the rest of the day or the next few days being unsure what the final diagnosis would be. I kept this to myself, trying to convince myself that it was nothing, that nothing would show up, just like the many tests I've done before. But in my heart I just knew that something was up. The nurse called me back on the following Friday during my lunch break at work and she delivered the news, that I am HIV positive. I thought I would crack, I didn't know what to say, I said thank you for letting me know. She ask me if I could come to the clinic right then. But I said I had three hours of work left. I was scared and shaking somewhat, but I made it through those three hours acting as if nothing had happened, but inside it was turmoil. I texted a really good friend who I knew would be supportive and asked him to come with me to the clinic, I couldn't go alone. When I met him, we were both in tears. I was hysterical. But thank God he was there that day, I don't think I could have endured that alone. The nurse was very supportive and told me It wasn't the end of the world. That treatment options were so much better and more effective now a days. She got me an appointment that day with a doctor that specializes in immunodeficiency diseases. I went to see him and got set up for more blood work  to find out what my viral load and cd4 count was and also was started on ARVs right away. A combination of Truvada, dolutegravir and prezcobix. A week later I found out that my viral load was over 8 million and my cd4 count was 280. The 8 million scared the crap out of me. But with drug combination the 8 million went down pretty fast, with in a month it was below 2000. I'm now undetectable and was switched to triumeq and cd4 is back up to over 500. Health wise I feel better, but trying to deal with this mentally and socially still feels so new to me, it's unknown territory. I have a few friends I can talk to and who care about me as well as my mother who is so supportive, but I would be great to hear from people going through the same things. Most days are ok, some are not. Just don't feel like myself sometimes.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Tested poz 11/17/17
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 01:32:13 pm »
Sorry to read that you were diagnosed HIV-positive, but am glad to learn that you are on an antiretroviral regimen and that you have found these forums for ongoing support and enlightenment.

You will be fine.  You will live a long and healthy life, as long as you adhere to your regimen.  Things will and do get better, and soon enough you will be living your life fully again and working toward your goals and aspirations. 

There are many good people on these forums, who will be here to support you.  In time, you will support others, too.

In the meantime, please access this link for some useful information:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/newly-diagnosed

Forum members look forward to your updates, so please stay involved and in touch.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 03:19:18 pm »

OJO      HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM...I'M GLAD YOU FOUND US, SO YOU CAN GET INFORMATION TO HELP YOU DEAL, BY READING OTHER MEMBERS EXPERIENCES WITH THE VIRUS, DEAL WITH YOUR NEW NORMAL...YOU ARE STILL THE SAME, YOU GIVE IT A LITTLE BIT OF TIME, YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO LIVE WITH THE VIRUS.. NOBODY GETS OVER THE FACT, THAT HE/SHE, HAS ACQUIERED THE VIRUS, BUT THE SOONER YOU ACCEPT YOUR NEW LIFE, THE FASTER YOU WILL TAKW BACK CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE, WHILE YOUR MED IS TAKING CARE OF THE VIRUS...WELCOME AGAIN AND KEEP US POSTED. YOU ARE ALREADY HELPING OTHERS ON HERE...HUGS                                                                               OJO

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 03:37:50 pm »
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis but we've all been there...

All I can say is that these days, thankfully, HIV is more a mental than a physical problem. The treatment is easy to take and gets things in check quickly, allowing people to live long and healthy lives. The mental side can be trickier and harder to overcome although with time things get easier and easier and it's one thing that can be  worked on independently.

It's good to have people close to you who you can talk to. I think it makes the world of difference in the long run.

Anyway welcome and feel free to ask any questions - there are a host of helpful folk here.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.