Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Time for a new ride  (Read 10438 times)

Offline wolfter

Time for a new ride
« on: February 15, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »
My old chevy pickup needs put to sleep.  It's weird the attachment as I have for this thing.  It was my highschool graduation present and is a reminder of happier times.  But she's old and quite frankly, starting to be an embarrasment.  Bill was always buying and selling cars and I hate the whole process.  So what kind of vehicles do middle aged gay men drive now a days?

I was already checking the VW bugs on-line and they're kinda cute. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Time for a new ride
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 06:47:51 pm »
If you are in the market for a sedan I would check out the Hyundai Sonata. I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV and have been very happy with it. I like the look of the Sonata, although I have not driven one.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:14:23 pm »
Wolfter-

It really depends on where you live. If you reside in an urban setting without much snow to deal with, then your choices are only as limited as your credit score/abilities.

My advice is to first settle on a few candidates, then do a google search on known mechanical or reliability issues. That will narrow down your selection a bit. Do you want sporty? Or do you carry a lot of gear around and need something with some room? Is fuel economy a concern? Etc....

That said, I can offer you this: My partner and I had a 2006 VW Beetle Convertible witha turbo and a five speed. Man that was afun car that got pretty good mpg. But unfortunately, it had a lot of niggling little problems which combined with it's complete inability to deal with snow more than 3 inches deep, meant that we had to trade it in on something else with all wheel drive and decent ground clearance. We live in a rural area on an unmaintained dirt road, and Bugsy wasn't meant for those types of things. So we traded him in an a used Subaru Outback wagon. I have recommended Subies to a number of people, and all have been happy with their cars. Out Outback has the 6 cylinder engine with auto and gets 32-34 mpg. Some friends out here recently bought a Forrester with a manual trans, and got it for under 22K, and it has a huge amount of room inside, plus excellent mpg. Subarus are known to be extremely long-lived cars and will last forever.
   European cars in general, are well built, but maintenance intensive. The upkeep can be a real bitch. Most new domestic cars are also extremely good. Most notably the midsized Ford Fusion, or if you prefer something full size, the newTaurus is most excellent, has above average reliability, and is available in all wheel drive if you need it.

Ultimately, research is the key to getting and finding a car you will be happy with over the course of the time you have it. Good luck, and keep us posted  sto your choice.

CaptCarl (Who thinks that you should keep the old Chevy too, and give it a well deserved refurbishment)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:17:37 pm by CaptCarl »
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:35:55 pm »
I went with my brother (first wrong choice), went to a mega dealership (2nd wrong choice), ended up spending some fun times with my sister in law so all is good.  I'd love to fix my old chevy, but she really needs put to sleep. I only drive a few thousand miles a year (i'm a leacher).  We did find a lot of cars my bro thought were awesome, but I really don't think I will buy something based on bored out cams and such.  After a few zins, maybe I'll spend the money to fix "old grey" up. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:28:04 am »
How much money to restore that car?` Maybe you're destined to become one of those people known around town for driving an antique! Adds character.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 06:50:47 am »
How much money to restore that car?` Maybe you're destined to become one of those people known around town for driving an antique! Adds character.

Let's just say, there isn't enough duct tape.  My sister laughs at it and says it only weighs half as much as when it was new.  Bill was horrified by this vehicle and told people it was for hauling things around.  He got me a Taurus back in 04 and I couldn't get used to it.  I was in a bad accident with it and luckily didn't kill anyone.  I was downplaying my vision loss and slammed right through an intersection.

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I know why my parents bought me a truck.  They wanted another big old butch son.  Little did they know what the bed of the truck was best used for....

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:01:17 am »
Well, I have a 1974 Ford F250 piclkup truck  - that needs a break job right now.

I don't drive it much because it gets about 9 miles a gallon at best. But they are handy to have around.

As for a new car, well, I know what I chose - a Mazda Miata. I know, how gay. ;)

I have had it for nearly eight years.

It is probably the most impractical car I have ever owned and I never want to sell it. It is fun to drive, except on snow, although even then I do OK as long as I don't have to go up any hills. If I do, I turn it around and back up the hill.

Scares the devil out of other drivers when you do that.  8)

Because I drive rentals a lot when I travel for work, I can vouch for some models. The aforementioned Fusion is pretty nice.

Were it me, I might look at a Toyota or Cheverolet. Many of their models get very good mileage and are pretty nice while driving on the highway.

But there are many other cars out there worth looking at.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:29 am »
Buy another pickup truck, maybe even used but less decrepit than your old girl.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 12:38:46 pm »
I drive a truck and have thought about getting a car with a slightly better ride, but I actually do a fair amount of hauling.  I dunno if I could ever drive a car again because then anytime I want to move something I'd have to call someone.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24:34 pm »
Do you NEED a truck?  If so, maybe hang on to it and get a replacement for a daily driver.  An older backup vehicle doesn't cost much (we have a total of 4 vehicles for 2 drivers) and is nice when the newer one does need maintenance, repairs, etc.  If having more than one is impractical, I'd go for a Japanese / American combo... most Toyotas and Hondas are made here in the US.  Personally, I'd be hard pressed to purchase another American vehicle unless it was the only type in its class (such as a 350/3500 chassis truck).  I'm pretty disappointed in my Chevy van, but there aren't many 3500 class van brands to choose from.

Our primary vehicle is a '97 Toyota Avalon with around 180,000 miles on it.  It gets 30-32 mpg on the highway fully loaded for a long weekend camping.  It's big and seats 5 people very comfortably with lots of leg room.  It's powerful (24 valve, DOHC V6).  Most of all, it's reliable.  Maintenance is cheap, easy, and there's not all that much required.  We put quite a few miles per month on it, and it never lets us down.  Actually, it did strand me once; I ran the 7 year old battery down and it wouldn't start.

I don't consider myself 'middle-aged' (I'm 45) but more mid-aged.  Our next vehicle will be, most likely, a 2006 Avalon whenever my dad and his wife decide to part with it.  It's a much nicer and more powerful car than mine, but it's still as economical and reliable.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 05:10:51 pm »
Mark, that is so funny.  Just went looking again and saw a beautiful Miata but I'll have to go drive it without my brother.  He said that car is TOO gay.....lol

I'll probably hold on to this old thing as she comes in handy, but it's not a car to drive every day especially since the radio quit this week.

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:05:49 pm »
   We're in the same boat as David, 4 vehicles, 2 drivers. The Subie is Norm's ride, it's a bit too new for my taste. We also have a '97 F-250 4X4 that gets about like Mark's truck, 9-11 mpg so it only gets used when needed. I'm the guy that Mecch mentioned, the one who drives old cars everywhere. To that end, my daily ride is a 1986 AMC Eagle wagon. With the 6 cylinder and 4 wheel drive it goes through anything, can off road anywhere I could reasonbly expect to go, and if I'm nice to her, she can get in the low 20mpg range which is good enough for me. An old Isuzu Trooper rounds out the fleet. (There is also a 2005 Honda Shadow 1300 VTX I bought Norm for Christmas this year)

But if things go to plan, this summer. I should be tooling around in my mechanically refurbished/cosmetically hideous 1957 DeSoto FireSweep Shopper Wagon. It's big enough to need 4 names as well as it's own Zip Code. I have the engine out and will begin the autopsy this weekend, then comes the tranny and brakes. After that, we'll bolt it back together and start driving it to see if anything blows up.

Have a great Day, CaptCarl (who once almost bought a Miata because it had a 325 horsepower Mustang V8 stuffed under the hood)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:07:22 pm by CaptCarl »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:17:31 am »
I miss AMCs.

I had a Gremlin I loved. Yes, a Gremlin.

It was bright yellow with black racing stripes, the famious inline 6 with a single barrel carb and three on the floor.

It looked like a bumble bee with racing wheels. I loved that car.

Ah memories.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22:45 am »
Considering my first car was a Renault LeCar and my next car was a Fiat X-19 I probably shouldn't be giving anyone auto buying advice.

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 10:57:13 am »
Considering my first car was a Renault LeCar and my next car was a Fiat X-19 I probably shouldn't be giving anyone auto buying advice.

Ford-
   Seeing as how you are named after one car, but drive another immediately disqualifies you from posting on this subject :D

Actually, I too have both a LeCar and an X1/9 in my past as well. The LeCar was quirky as only the French can pull off, but it was a decent car. I absolutlely loved my X1/9, and hope someday to have another one. Mine was the one that they screwed up at the factory, in that it was actually pretty reliable. I drove it every day for about 4 years. It even did really well in the snow, and did in fact pull a Subaru wagon out of a snow filled ditch once. I miss that car...
I miss AMCs.

I had a Gremlin I loved. Yes, a Gremlin.

It was bright yellow with black racing stripes, the famious inline 6 with a single barrel carb and three on the floor.

It looked like a bumble bee with racing wheels. I loved that car.

Ah memories.

HUGS,

Mark

Mark. I have always wanted a Gremmie. You lucky bastard, thought the Gremlin of my dreams has a 500 inc Caddy motor stuffed into it :o

CaptCarl

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 04:20:52 pm »
Well, I went with my sister today to have another look around.  She's more fun to car shop with, she doesn't care about the pesky engine details and such.  3 hours later, we drove away with a beautiful 08 Chrysler Sebring.
She promised to go looking with me again this week since she's the one who bought the car.   

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 11:35:22 pm »
I got my first new car in 1997, which was a Honda Accord.  I still have that car, and knock wood, it still works very well.  I've not had any major problems with it besides some issues with the power windows, 2 CD players went out, but no mechanical issues.  They make good cars.  I've kept it, because I didn't want another car payment.  However, I really like the new Accord Coup and would like to get one.  Maybe I'll wait and get one used.  My partner and I were just out this weekend looking for him a new truck, or one a few years old.  He drives a 2000 Ford Explorer.  After 11 years, it has had its problems.  American cars just aren't made to last more than a decade it seems.  So, he wants to go back to Nissan or Toyota.  Trucks don't get the best mileage, but we have to have a truck with all we do--home remodeling, etc.  Even picking up mulch without a truck is difficult.  And, if you buy anything like furniture or appliances, it saves a lot of money to pick it up yourself instead of paying a delivery fee. 

We just went to the New Car Show and you can have this baby for just $72,000

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 12:12:55 am »

I actually like my sister's car.  I drove it in the rain yesterday and really like the way it drives. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 12:34:54 am »
I have not owned a car since 1989. :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 06:05:56 pm »

I actually like my sister's car.  I drove it in the rain yesterday and really like the way it drives.  

Nice car and I doubt it is a gas hog.  

I sold my Xterra to my brother when I moved down to SC last year and I am driving a Buick LeSebre these days.  I do want a pickup truck at least once in my life.  That would be sooooo butch!  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:43:37 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »
I have had one new car in my life and I bought a 2010 Camry . I'm not one who enjoys spending or shopping much , when I was writing out the check for the car the salesman asked me if I was OK because I started pouring sweat and got really pale so I'm told .

My step dad who owns a car lot would gladly give me any car at cost urged me to buy a new one because the incentives were so good at the time . I still think I would have been just as happy with a used one .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 07:22:14 pm »
I was so fortunate because we alwayse had cool rides not that I had anything to do with itl.   Billl loved cars and I love him so it was a good fit.  He once bought a Crysler I tink it  was a newport and I loved sleeping in the front seat .  I used to do things in that car that  I won't admit to.  I remember so viidly the night we got lost in Vanceburg KY .  Thansk for a happy memory.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 07:47:26 pm »
Back in the 70s my dad bought a 'deuce and a quarter'  aka Buick Electra 225.  That was a nice ride for sure!  'We was stylin'.  My grandmother (all of 4'11") always had a huge Cadillac... I remember that we could get up and walk from one side of the back seat to the other it was so big. 

Yea... I want a pickup truck now that I think about it.  A 'real man's vehicle'.  LOL

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 10:16:35 am »
Well, here is what I decided on for a while cause I couldn't make up my mind.  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 10:44:21 am »
I can't ride a bike for more than 3 minutes because I have no ass :(

Offline wolfter

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:17 am »

Me neither, that's why I got one with that big padded seat....lol

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:52 am »

I got a seat-cover for my bike that has gel pads and it makes a world of difference. I think I bought it online.

Wolfter, I can't quite see it clearly - does your bike say HUFFY or HUSSY? ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 11:04:26 am »
LOL @ Ann, I guess either would be appropriate.  My sister also bought one and she bought a gel seat cover too.  I was waiting to see if I need it.  Now if it would stop raining!

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 11:14:38 am »

Maybe you should try taking the seat off the post....

CaptCarl

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 11:19:18 am »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:32 am »
I wish I had $3600

http://www.genuinescooters.com/stella2.html

That's on my wish list , I have been wanting a scooter for awhile now .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:13 am »
I wish I had $3600

http://www.genuinescooters.com/stella2.html

A neighbour of mine has a really nice scooter he's thinking of selling and the price he mentioned I could save up for in a few months. He's happy to wait, so hopefully by the end of summer or early autumn, I may have a scooter. It's in really good condition. This guy has a collection of them and keeps them all in pristine condition and excellent running order. He even said I could store it in his garage. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 11:32:04 am »
I owned a really lovely vintage Vespa when I was in college.  I wish I'd never sold it.

That link was from this site that is for a great scooter store that is in walking distance of my apartment:

http://www.philadelphiascooters.com/

I also have a Vespa showroom about 7 blocks away in the other direction -- there are lots of scooter owners here, which is odd for the US.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:22 am »
Maybe you should try taking the seat off the post....

CaptCarl

LMAO

Anyone remember the old Huffy Thunder Road commercials?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 05:19:25 pm »
Congrats on the bike!

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »
Wolfie-
   Nice bike! I used to ride to work a lot when I lived in the city, and it was a three and a half mile ride. Now it's ten times that, so riding is out of the question. 70 miles round trip every day isn't for this old duffer ;)
    But I have been lobbying the Hubby for a new ride. I recently found a 1964 Checker Marathon station wagon in excellent shape, just needs tires. Really Cheap too!

So far, Norm is underwhelmed by the prospect..... :(

CaptCarl

Offline mecch

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 06:18:49 pm »
Buy that fucking wagon baby.
Live the life.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 09:51:29 am »
Wolfie-
   Nice bike! I used to ride to work a lot when I lived in the city, and it was a three and a half mile ride. Now it's ten times that, so riding is out of the question. 70 miles round trip every day isn't for this old duffer ;)
    But I have been lobbying the Hubby for a new ride. I recently found a 1964 Checker Marathon station wagon in excellent shape, just needs tires. Really Cheap too!

So far, Norm is underwhelmed by the prospect..... :(

CaptCarl

I wasn't sure what that way so I googled it.  That's what they used for cab service in some cities.  Awesome, bet it's roomy and has plenty of HEAD room.......lol

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.